The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion

+7
BretBaber
TheMatt
ajapam
Nephilimi
avidacridjam
Krubixcube
TripOpt55
11 posters

Page 8 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion

Post by avidacridjam Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:36 pm

Is he really? Fantastic!
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion

Post by Krubixcube Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:50 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty excited! Blackwater was one of my favorite episodes! Will watch it after i get home from work tonight =D
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:22 pm

Yeah it should be rad.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:28 am

Since avid's long form thoughts on story and plot and character are generally congruent with mine and much better worded I've decided I'd rant more on the direction/overall impressions:

The action this week was awesome. It was well-paced, super well-directed and the episode had some awesome moments. Even Ygritte's death, a character I wasn't wholly invested in was dramatic and struck an emotional chord. Also, I've always said this about good action sequences, establishing the geography is important in getting invested in a battle, and the show does it SO well with those sweeping shots over Castle Black and the wall. We knew exactly where each piece of the fight is taking place without having to be told.

But it still felt like a bit...unnecessary given everything I cared about happened last week already. Don't get me wrong, I wanted to see this confrontation happen, but it kind of felt like a middle of the road moment in terms of plot when the season has primarily been about things in King's Landing.

As I said last week, the direction was a bit...weird last week. And it's a shame, because last week had some horrendously important moments. And I say that "it's a shame" because this week shows us how an HBO show and how TV in general should be done (along with the Purple Wedding, which is stylistically a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned). It's a shame the really nice filmmaking wasn't as clear in last week's episode as it was in this one. It wasn't a bad episode but it was definitely the least shocking episode 9 in a GOT season, and I didn't really feel like anything...happened.

Now, I know you'll disagree but...I mean, yeah, they beat them back for a night, but there's more out there. And they committed that cardinal filmmaking sin of telling when they should be showing "Yeah, there's more out there, the threat is still coming". Would have been cool just to see or hear the army beyond the wall instead of just having Jon tell it to us. To FEEL the threat.

Mentally, when I think about it, I know that the danger of the Wildlings is still there, but I knew that already, I was hoping it'd come to a head but it's kind of back to where it started. at the beginning of this season or even season 3. There are a bunch of Wildlings, they are going to attack, but now the advanced force got cut down.

That said, gripes aside, the direction takes a gold star. The sheer number of awesome moments in this episode are NUMEROUS.

To name a few:

- Giant shooting giant arrow into dude
- Mammoth emerging from the woods
- Guy with stick up his ass (forget his name) telling Jon Snow he was probably right and his awesome speech
- RELEASE THE DIRE WOLF
- Little dude shoots Ygritte (REALLY well set up in Sam's scene as he goes up the wall, a lovely piece of writing there)

Favorite moment, the giant running down the corridor while the men recited the knight's watch...vow...thing. Oath? Yeah, that's it. That was bitchin'.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:08 pm

After I see a new GOT episode there are a few blogs I check on as soon as their updated, like A.V. Club or Alan Sepinwall's. The latter is the only one I've seen so far and I found "The Watchers on the Wall" a better episode than Sepinwall.

There's a good portion of the following that will read like I've a bone to pick with Sepinwall but it ties into my overall thoughts of the episode. And it isn't the first time I've disagreed with him. Like it matters, but, hey...

As he mentions in his post, everyone will be comparing this one to the "Blackwater" episode from Season 2 and they can't help it. It is one of the series' best episodes, no doubt. But the idea that the Wildings' attack on the Wall isn't as pivotal a moment as Stannis' seige against King's Landing makes no sense to me. The opinion that The Wall (and by extension, the Night's Watch) doesn't resonate as strongly for some as compared to King's Landing is understandable but that just hammers home a point about the Night's Watch: it's a thankless, forgotten task (by the rest of the world and definitely King's Landing) but absolutely necessary.

If the Wildings had taken The Wall (and they still could) that would open up a serious can of worms for the rest of the country. If they could break through, so could the Whitewalkers. And winter is coming...

Honestly, during "Blackwater" I was rooting for Stannis. He's an asshole but I wanted the Lannister "administration" out of power. The way that events played out, sure it was dramatically effective (and really brought out the best in Tyrion and The Hound) but back then I wanted justice. I still do although at this point in the game I realize that justice won't be acquired in a manner that's predictable.

Whereas King's Landing was well fortified and guarded (and had a considerable advantage on Stannis' fleet), The Wall was considerably less so and the efforts of the Night's Watch was considerable, even as their numbers fell. It's simply a more impressive and heroic feat and I had no problem rooting for the underdogs.

I was not rooting the Wildings as they attacked the Wall. On their way to the Wall, they murdered who knows how many people and ransacked who knows how many villages; whatever their cause, it's been pushed aside for the thirst for brutal, dumbass murder. Ygritte ultimately pays the price for this (she did after all, murder that boy's father and mother) and it was worth it for Jon to finally take that lead cannibal down. I felt Tormund would be taken out eventually, I was surprised by his eventual fate.

Sepinwall isn't too big a fan of Jon Snow, arguing that he's too noble and good and bland as a result. I recognize that writing a character like that can lead to such a trap but I'd argue that Jon isn't bland at all. He's capable of error and clumsiness like anyone else; that he's survived this long is amazing. The trick to dealing with a character like his is to make his life a living hell at every turn so that he's constantly put in situations where he can make mistakes and be tested. That's why he's a decent man. It doesn't make him perfect or bland.

Poor Grenn and Pip. The handful of allies that Jon has had since his arrival at the Wall has been few and they're fewer now but at least these two died fighting. T-Wolf said it: the use of the oath as the giant was charging was intense stuff.

Alliser Thorne is a ball-buster but a damned good leader and decent with a sword. I actually thought he could take Tormund for a while during their duel. Alas...

Loved it when that anchor-like contraption was used to knock the Wilding climbers off the wall.

It didn't surprise me at all that Janos Slynt (that prick) is a complete coward and hid in the closet. Was wishing for his death. Alas...

This was a big episode for Samwell Tarly. Between him asking Jon about sex and his conversation with Maester Aemon (nice reminder that he was a Targaryen) and his scenes with Gilly, he performed quite well under the circumstances. He even got a kiss! Way to go, big guy.

Then there's Ygritte. I don't like how she fell in with a bunch of murderers and she deserved that arrow in the chest but I will miss Rose Leslie. Yes, I fancy her but Ygritte was a unique, well-written female character, one who held her own in male-dominated environments and was in complete control of her destiny. Her relationship with Jon was doomed from the start but in a way she was perfect for him. They should've stayed in that cave.

And that awesome, one-take, slightly-panoramic shot of all the fighters (when Jon comes out of the lift)? Perfection.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:06 pm

Coming in here late because I got distracted by E3 before I finished my review. I like to write those with minimal outside impressions hitting me.

I definitely found myself comparing this to Blackwater as I watched. It was hard not to. I think this one bests Blackwater from a pure action standpoint. The skirmishes in Blackwater outside the wall felt a little small at times. Something that is probably hard to avoid on TV and it works better in this episode because of the way this battle is setup (like the numbers actually being smaller and the distance between those clashing on the North side being on top and at the bottom of the wall). I don't quite have your guys' eye for direction, but I thought this one was also a little better there as well.

Another thing I wondered going in is if this one would have a wow moment like the Wildfire in Blackwater. I'm not sure anything hit me in that big (the anchor thing was pretty close). But any gap was made up for by a bunch of of relatively smaller wow moments. The giant archer shooting at the top of the wall. The giant riding the mammoth! Some of the individual battles. I thought it was cool how they lowered men against the wall with pulleys. So I was impressed by that aspect as well.

I think the moments pre-battle aren't as strong as Blackwater's. I think Blackwater is also helped by the sheer amount of characters we are more acquainted with (or more invested with maybe). There are people like Cersei and Sansa not in the battle that play a role and have some strong scenes. I also think both sides have a better presence. In that we knew Stannis well at that point. And we barely know Mance. I guess Ygritte, Tormund and Styr are more the faces of that side, but I still think I'd give the edge to Blackwater there.

And the last edge I'd give to Blackwater is it felt more whole. These are the only two episodes in the series that focuses on a single location (I think at least). They were both built to over a season or more. You get the whole deal in Blackwater. Where as here we kind of get the backside fight finished off, but as Jon mentions Mance barely got going. I admit being familiar with the source material I thought it'd end somewhere else. And after the finale it probably won't matter, but just from an episode comparison standpoint I think it helps Blackwater.

I definitely agree with you about how important the battle is Avid. This battle is pretty pivotal. I always got the feeling that the White Walkers and to a lesser extent the Wilding army since they play into that area as well were the big threat to Westeros. So it looms while they squabble over the throne down south not taking it seriously.

I didn't read Sepinwall's yet, but I will. I know a lot of people who watch or even read feel The Wall or Essos stuff is too far removed from the main action in King's Landing, so they enjoy it less. I personally have always enjoyed seeing all the bits around the world and am always excited to think about how they will come together. Dany and Jon are also a couple of my favorite characters too, so I suppose that helps, but still. I like all the different parts.

Anyway, I'd probably say Blackwater was better than this one, but I thought this was a really fantastic episode. Great action. Tons of cool moments. Kind of a different type of episode for GoT, but one that really makes sense in the world. And since it is unique it makes it kind of standout among some other episodes. Not better per se, but just standout. Sorry for all the Blackwater comparison! I tried to avoid them in my review, so figured I'd mention them here to get them out there.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:03 am

I agree with two things said in the last posts, one of avid's and one of Trips (not to say I don't agree with a lot more, but two in particular are poignant to the point for me that they're worth mentioning again).

Avid: I agree...I also read the AV Club's blogs on GoT just for a second or third opinion (because I like opinions even if they clash with mine) and they also griped about Jon Snow being "too noble" and that you know nothing bad will happen to him. But I disagree with that as well. Rob Stark was noble and set up to be our vengeful hero but he was killed without a battle or a fight. I think they've missed some opportunities to flesh out Jon Snow's character because the real drama is happening down south but he's not a bad character, and if he is, it's certainly not because he's "too noble"

Trip: I agree that Blackwater I think felt a bit more substantial because of the buildup. Objectively, I think Watchers On the Wall might be the better directed episode, with more satisfying action even, but I was more invested in Blackwater. It was built the entire season through multiple storylines that Stannis was coming (from Stannis' POV) and that King's Landing needed defending (from Tyrion's) so when the battle happened we weren't only invested because it was built up to but I think we were torn rooting for characters on both sides. Everyone likes Davos, everyone likes Tyrion and they were going head to head.

I think my gripe with the battle though, is like I said earlier, not that it's not important. On an intellectual level, I know it's big, but I just didn't feel as emotionally invested in it for whatever reason.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:32 am

Krubixcube wrote:...I'm gonna ride this hope dragon with you.

*Never ending stoooooooooooooryyyyyy. Lalala lalala lalala*

Welp, in light of the last post, there's only one appropriate thing to say after seeing the episode...

Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:06 am

The Hound's scene was the best and Bran's scene was just crazy. I'll say more about the rest later

It'll be interesting to see how the next season plays out with the characters spread out so much now
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:58 pm

Haha YES!!! I totally called it! The ridding off into the sunset on dragons will be in the deleted scenes in the box set!
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:58 pm

First, I just wanted to say what great predictions these were:

ajapam wrote:I want to say Stannis & co will show up at Castle Black and save the day. Remember when they got that letter at the end of season 3 and then seemingly forgot about it? Otherwise I don't see much hope for Jon Snow and the night's watch.

TheMatt wrote:Tyrion isn't going to die. There's no way! At least not yet. They've been building the Jamie-Tyrion relationship all season... Jamie's totally gonna bail him out and save the day. I also think there is going to be some kind of showdown with the Lannister boys and Tywin. Not sure if it'll be physical or not, but somehow you're gonna get Tyrion and Tywin in a room alone together before all this shakes out.

Now ajapam's feels like a good one made by someone who was paying close attention to the show. I think they were kind of avoiding coming right out and saying it this season to try and make his arrival in the North a surprise. For those that forgot it might have been. And then they showed it in the Previously on GoT segment and it was like, "Welp."

Matt's is on a whole other level. Scarily accurate. Even back when I was reading I never thought he'd die, but I can't say I'd have been able to do a prediction as good as that.

I really liked the finale. Arya's stuff was probably my favorite. Dany chaining up her dragons made me a bit sad. Stannis saving the day was cool. The bit outside the tree with Bran was a little out there, but pretty fun to watch. Lots of good resolution on many plotlines. I will talk about this in more depth later probably. I had some issues, but I think most of them are adaption issues not TV issues. Like just viewing this as its own thing, it seems like a really satisfying finale for the season. The Jaime/Cersei relationship continues to be super-off to me, but whatever I guess.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:02 pm

You know, AVClub rated this episode a bit lower but I really liked it. Dont' think there was a single weak segment in the whole show that comes to mind.

Also, wont go into detail yet but Shae's appearance was so heartbreaking, especially having rewatched the whole season recently.

Also, Matt, assuming you haven't read the books, you are my god damn hero. Seriously.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:03 pm

That fight between The Hound and Brianne was one of the most brutal things I've ever seen, certainly on TV. Just really raw. That whole scene was incredible.

And thank you, Trip. It's funny, because I told that prediction to my dad, who read the books and he totally kept it in, so I didn't even think twice about it. Then when it happened he looked at me and said, nice prediction. I was geeking out. Plus that scene was really well done too. The Dink is the man.
TheMatt
TheMatt

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:04 pm

Krubixcube wrote:Also, Matt, assuming you haven't read the books, you are my god damn hero. Seriously.

I have only read the first two. So it was really just a lucky guess. Haha
TheMatt
TheMatt

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:06 pm

Yeah I read your prediction out to my girlfriend, laughing about it, and she has also read the books and didn't spoil it. Though she said that she had a very hard time not cracking a huge smile.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:56 pm

I'm hoping to get caught up on the books before season 5 airs... I have 10 months. I can do it! Its just such a slow burn for me though, because its all so long winded. Not the easiest series in the world to read.
TheMatt
TheMatt

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:10 am

The finale is playing while I'm typing this. I figure that's the best way to make a proper state of mind to type this but I might pick up something during composition.

We haven't seen much of Mance Rayder since last season and his scene with Jon Snow was IMO one of the best moments of the season. Ciaran Hinds is one of those great character actors, with a face and presence you'd remember from so much tv and film even if you couldn't remember his name (his work in Rome and Munich are my personal favorites). The way Mance sizes up Jon was riveting as was the standoff between Mance and Stannis. Speaking of Stannis, giving him someone else other than Davos or Melisandre to butt heads with may bring out the best in the character and give more for Stephen Dillane to work with. Another reason to look forward to next season.

Also, before we leave the wall, the fact that Stannis' army is now at The Wall should provide an interesting wrinkle for The Night's Watch. By law, they recognize whoever is king at King's Landing but they're not to take part in the war or any conflict. Protecting the wall is their only duty. News reaches fast in Westeros and we'll see how this turns out.

I didn't see Alliser at the "funeral" scene for the fallen Night's Watch so I guess he's still recovering from his wounds. Janos "That Prick" Slynt barely moved his lips when everyone said "And now their watch has ended".

And what was the deal with the look Melisandre gave Jon?

And before we (I) attempt to leave the Wall, Ygritte's funeral was particularly moving. I like that Tormund put aside his grudges while talking with Jon; he's more practical than I thought he was. Murderous bastard, but still...
I felt bad for Jon, silently weeping as he set about burning her corpse. Losing the one he loved and not a damn thing he could do about it.

It's been a gradual process from the last time Tywin and Cersei met (in particular, the scene where they discussed Casterly Rock and King's Landing's finances) where we're starting to see how recent setbacks for the Lannister clan have begun to eat away at Tywin's steely exterior but I was taken aback at the moment Cersei made that truly desperate call to broadcast the incest. There's been many moments since Season 3 that Tywin has successfully asserted his will over his children (and grandchildren) in a manner that made me smile. Honestly, someone needs to keep these loonies (Cersei and Joffrey, especially) in check. Cersei's stubbornness, defiance and (most importantly) impulsiveness actually works in her favor (in a way that it hasn't since Season 1). The fact that Tywin knew or suspected the incest and chose to ignore it is another crack in the armor. For once, he doesn't have the last word. And it won't be the last time...

Now, here's the only misstep and it has bothered me since I saw it: the following scene between Cersei and Jaime. Either I have read their relationship wrong since Episode 4 or the idea that Cersei's boldness inspired her to rekindle their romance isn't convincing. Again, we get this surprising scene and then cut away, never to return to it, robbing it of true power or significance. I throw my hands up either way because I don't think the writers or director(s) knew what they were doing here. Seeing that relationship deteriorate (rather convincingly I thought) over the season only to see a last minute course-correction just felt wrong.
Whatever.

Poor Dany. Once again, abolishing slavery has its drawbacks. But the collateral damage from her dragons (at least one of them; Drogon, I suspect?) was devastating and so was the gut-wrenching scene where she chains the other two dragons and locks them up. Man, Emelia Clarke played her scenes so beautifully. These creatures gave her comfort and strength at her earliest and weakest and while locking them up may be necessary its still painful.

The Bran/Hodor/Jojen/Meera scenes: this subplot is by far the most fantastical of any in the ongoing narrative and for me it's also the most jarring and confusing (insomuch that I'm not clear on what Bran can achieve by finding the tree). So the attacking skeleton ambush helped liven things up a bit. Ray Harryhausen might be proud. The interior of the tree almost looked like a set from the True Detective finale and I thought...oh shit...

Farewell Jojen. Um, you'll be missed?

From this point on, everything truly gets fucking awesome. Arya and Brienne find some common ground (the sword names, their fathers' attitudes towards their daughters learning swordplay) before everything goes to hell. Brienne's task is doomed; she has as much a chance of escorting Arya as well as Sansa at this point. That she's well-intentioned probably means little but I was rooting for her just the same in one of the nastiest, down-and-dirty fights I've seen on television.

Great, great, great finale scene between Arya and The Hound. The cold silent stare she gives him as he orders, goads and then begs her to kill him. Then she just walks away.

"I'm not gonna kill you. But I don't have to save you." - from Batman Begins

Farewell, The Hound. You will definitely be missed. This season was so great for him and he owned every minute of his scenes. Rory McCann doesn't have to be remembered as the guy who went "Yarp" in Hot Fuzz anymore.

So Arya is free, for the first time in her life but she appears to be on her way to becoming an assassin. Which is good....I guess?

Then there's Tyrion's escape via Jaime and Varys. Tyrion's decision to make one last visit to Father probably won't sit well with Jaime. I mean, Tywin is ruthless but he's still their father. Still, Tywin has to answer for his cold, detached ruling of his children and Tyrion has always been given the shortest straw his whole life. To find Shae in Tywin's bed was surprising since Tywin had an aversion to prostitutes. However, Tyrion ends her life and no matter how justified he feels in doing so, he just looks destroyed after choking her to death. Then he sees that stupid-ass cross-bow that belonged to Joffrey...

Tyrion and Tywin's final scene was another monumental moment in a series that is full of them. For the second time in a row, Tywin once again tries to assert control over his child and fails.

The weird thing is how certain info is dropped from the source material. Those familiar with the book will know how the tragic fate of Tyrion's first wife, Tysha, figures here but since her tale has been mentioned in the tv show (all the way back in season one, episode nine "Baelor") and since Tywin played such a despicable part in that event, I'm surprised Tyrion didn't bring it up. Keeping the focus to Shae probably made more sense. Anyway, events transpire as they do and Tywin dies and Tyrion does something that will truly set his sister off.

For readers of Storm of Swords:

Speaking of Cersei, this means that she regains the title of Queen Regent and now answers to no one. Oh man, this can't be good. She may be as ruthless as her father but he's not as smart as him.

Farewell, Tywin. You were evil and yet it was a pleasure to have you on board. Everyone here knows I admire Charles Dance's work here and with such a titan out of the way, it feels like an era has passed.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:14 am

S4 EP9 was the best episode in the whole show.

Fite me.
Rainjar
Rainjar
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:42 pm

It'd be fun to see everyone's favorites/least favorite stuff of the season/series. I will work up a little questionnaire like I used to in the next few days. Could be fun.

I will say my favorite episode is still 304 "And Now His Watch is Ended." Mostly because of the final scene with Dany being my fave, but it is a really awesome episode all-around.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:58 am

Now that there are four seasons I'd be interested in knowing people's rankings of the seasons overall as well.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:24 am

I was slow to the party, but just finished season 4. To save some money I just waited until the season was done and I ordered HBO and went through all episodes in 4 days. It was also nice not having to wait and seeing Joffrey die was a great spectacle for my eyes, and to be treated to that so early in episode two was a nice surprise and gift from the writers/producers.

Now I'm going to move on and watch Girls and then True Detective and then cancel HBO. This is the way to watch HBO my friends!
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:54 am

Actually Bret reminds me of something I wanted to say about GoT, in that it seems like it's very much written and built to be marathoned. I found that with all seasons in that certain plot lines on an episode by episode basis aren't satisfying but when watched as a whole season match up very well and I got that vibe when Season 4 finished as well that marathoning it would be a very different experience than watching it week to week.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:51 am

I find myself getting sucked in more when I know I can just watch the next right away. Also found it easier to not get distracted and follow the story more, something that happened with the previous 3 seasons. How I made it without hearing spoilers is beyond me, especially about Joffrey.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:51 pm

Some shows probably do play better like that, but whenever I marathon a show I miss being able to discuss it with people between episodes and think about what might happen next during the week. My experience with GoT is really different than other shows, so I can't really say with that, but even knowing what's coming I love discussing it with both friends who have and haven't read the books.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:42 pm

Okay a little questionaire thing. Not sure who will fill it out, but maybe it will spur some conversation. You can use whatever reasoning you want to choose these. Explanations are always a plus. Feel free to skip stuff.

Season 4

Best Episode:
Best Character:
Best Storyline/Arc:
Best Moment:

Worst Storyline:
Worst Moment:
Most Hate-able Character:

Saddest Death:

The Whole Show Overall

Rank the Seasons:

Best Episode:

Favorite Character(s) (List a few if you want):

If you guys want to add some more things to the mix go for it. Just came up with these off the top of my head.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:03 pm

Season 4

Best Episode:hmmm... The Watchers On The Wall. The finale was too packed for it's own good and any time we see a big battle in Game of Thrones, it's habit of killing favorites really pays off
Best Character: Tyrion as always
Best Storyline/Arc: Arya/The Hound. It's between this and Tyrion, but I felt this one ended stronger
Best Moment: The Hound begging Arya to kill him. And her reaction

Worst Storyline: Theon as always, although he was much better than last year
Worst Moment: Rape scene that I guess was just a horribly handled sex scene? Or the Lannisters are just that screwed up
Most Hate-able Character: Lysa Arryn

Saddest Death: Shae

The Whole Show Overall

Rank the Seasons: Err... 2-4-1-3? It's been a while. 3's definitely the worst though

Favorite Character(s) (List a few if you want):Let's give some of the other guys some love. Margaery and Ser Davos are cool
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:20 am

Best Episode: "The Mountain And The Viper". Some episodes had some high peaks and low valleys but this one had the highest peaks: Reek cracking up under pressure as Theon at Moat Cailin, Dany's ousting of Jorah, Sansa's mostly-true account of Littlefinger and the fate of Lisa Aryn, Jaime and Tyrion's philosophical conversation regarding a Lannister relative and death and, of course, the titular fight.
HM: "The Watchers on the Wall"
Best Character: Oberyn Martell.
Best Storyline/Arc: Anything with The Hound and Arya
Best Moment: Three-Way Tie: Tyrion confessing to his crime for being a dwarf at the end of "The Laws of Gods and Men"; the long-drawn out tension that releases with Joffrey's vicious death at the end of "The Lion and the Rose"; and The Hound vs. Brienne of Fucking Tarth in "The Children"
HM: Jon and Mance Rayder "negotiating" in "The Children", Margaery sweetly seducing Tommen in "Oathkeeper", Lisa Aryn dropping the mother of all bombs regarding Jon Aryn's death in "First of His Name", Grenn and others facing down the giant in the tunnel in "The Watchers on the Wall"

Worst Storyline: Yara's attempted rescue of Theon. Utterly pointless.
Worst Moment: Most scenes involving Ramsay. He's an asshole: I GET IT.
Most Hate-able Character: "Beyond the Wall" was so satisfying since it saw the end of both Karl and Rast. I'll give the edge to Rast for being an asshole to Sam (in the previous season), Hodor and Ghost. It's only fitting that Ghost takes him out.

Saddest Death: Ygritte. She lost her way but she genuinely loved Jon. That they were doomed as a couple anyway just made it so bitter. There's really no other way it could've ended.

The Whole Show Overall

Rank the Seasons:
1. Season 3
2. Season 1
3. Season 4
4. Season 2

Best Episode:

Overall? Shit, I'll need to think on this one.

Favorite Character(s) (List a few if you want):
1. Daenarys Targaryen
2. Tyrion Lannister
3. Arya Stark
4. Jamie Lannister
5. Jon Snow
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:11 am

Season 4

Best Episode: I guess Watchers on the Wall, but I don't think this year had one way above the rest.
Best Character: Oberyn
Best Storyline/Arc: Tyrion's arc was really impressive from Joff's wedding to both trials and then killing Tywin.
Best Moment: The trial by combat but Tyrion's speech was great too (at his first trial in court).

Worst Storyline: Yara's attack on the Dreadfort was a mess. And that was your whole entire Ironborn segment for the year (besides Theon)! Blech.
Worst Moment: I'm still scratching my head at what happened with Jaime and Cersei post-Sept scene so that one.
Most Hate-able Character: Honestly probably Karl? I think Ramsey has the crown going forward probably.

Saddest Death: Ygritte. I loved her and Jon's relationship.

The Whole Show Overall

Rank the Seasons: I still don't know I'd say 3 and 4 are at the top and then 1 and then 2.

Best Episode: "And Now His Watch is Ended" Lots of cool small scenes early on, then the mutiny at Craster's Keep capped off by Dany freeing the slaves at Astapor.

Favorite Character(s) (List a few if you want): Dany and Arya.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:44 am

Season 4

Best Episode: The Lion and the Rose
Best Character: Oberyn
Best Storyline/Arc: cheap answer but...Tyrion and his trial
Best Moment: Joffery's Death

Worst Storyline: Yara's was weak but just Theon's stuff in general is still...meh for me.
Worst Moment: Jaime rape. I tried to be hopeful that the writers knew what they were doing but I was wrong. They botched it big time
Most Hate-able Character: Bolton? After Joffery it's not as fun to hate people.

Saddest Death: Oberyn...guy had so much potential

The Whole Show Overall

Rank the Seasons: 2, 3, 4, 1 It's really interesting how all of our season rankings have been different. Suppose that's the sign of a good show in that there's not one season that's just awful or clearly better.

Best Episode: MAYBE The Lion and the Rose you know. It's got WONDERFUL character moments for almost all hte characters in King's Landing which is my favorite area of the show (thus my love of season 2)...but there are a lot of great episodes.

Favorite Character(s) (List a few if you want):Tyrion, Dany, The Queen of Thorns, Twyin...to name a few.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:52 pm

Oh yeah saddest death is definitely Oberyn. I must have been tired when I filled mine out.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next