The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion

+7
BretBaber
TheMatt
ajapam
Nephilimi
avidacridjam
Krubixcube
TripOpt55
11 posters

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion Empty Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:35 am

Figured we'd need a thread for this considering it was starting back up tomorrow! Once an episode airs you can post about it. People should just stay away if they haven't watched the week's episode. Also for those that are ahead of the show in the books, don't spoil anything with your knowledge from the books.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion Empty Re: Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion

Post by Krubixcube Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:55 am

SO EXCITED!!!!!!....!
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:25 am

Who are your guys' favorite characters? I say mine are:

1. Dany
2. Arya
3. Jon
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:28 am

I don't LOVE Dany but I like her character arc a whole lot. I like how she went from being trampled on to the trampler last season. Arya is cool but I feel she's cooler in her potential than what they've actually shown of her.

I'd say my favorite characters are:

1. Tyrion
2. Jon
3. ...hm.

There are so many good characters on that show though. I'm quite happy I haven't read the books because I'm genuinely interested as to what will happen.

My own hope is that HBO figures out to end this show (at some point) since, as far as I know, the books aren't done and I'd hate to invest in this awesome show only for it to putter out because they didn't know how to end it themselves.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:36 am

Arya is much better in the books. They kind of messed up her Book 2 stuff a bit in the show. I think the other 2 are great in both. Dany's growth over the first couple of seasons is what makes her so good I think. Tyrion would be my fourth.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:44 pm

I saw this picture the other day.

Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion Ibb10fJtevnLvC

Then when I was rewatching Season 2 I couldn't stop thinking when I saw Theon that he was Other Robb or that Jaqen was Cool Girl's Murder Friend.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:09 pm

Everyone forgets Baby Stark. It's natural.

Fav characters?

1. Tyrion
2. Dany
3. Jamie (oh, he's an asshole now but just wait; at the end of the 3rd book, my thoughts on him changed)
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:42 pm

So did anyone watch?

It seemed like it was just setting things up which is fine. So many storylines to hop around and they didn't even quite get to all of them (Arya, Jaime and Bran come to mind). But I still thought it was really good. The scene where Tywin tore down Tyrion was fantastic. The part with Unsullied was well done. I thought the dragons and giant looked sweet too.

I thought they kind of copped out of the battle on the Fist of the First Men there with the Night's Watch though.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Nephilimi Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:57 am

Just a decent episode setting stuff up.

I had to go on wikipedia right afterwards to look some stuff up. I forgot who the guy was at the end and why there would be dead people at HarronHall or whatever it's called.

Tywin and Tyrion's scene was incredible.

They always side step the battle scenes. The show is awesome but I still can't get over how terrible and laughable that battle was at the end of Season 2. The more they can avoid showing battles, the less the immersion is ruined for me, so I don't mind.

Nephilimi
Currently Looking Through Their Ascot Closet

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:32 am

I guess. There were parts of Blackwater that were really cool still I think. This battle would have been notably smaller in scope and I think they could have pulled it off. Maybe not though.

We got Astapor added to the opening, but an even neater unexpected touch was a smoking Winterfell. Thought that was neat.

Also in the US, they showed Selmy getting dismissed by Joffrey in this week's previously on segment as a reminder, but I heard they did not in Canada. That might have helped make it clearer who he was.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:16 am

Ha, I thought that guy at the end was just another new character.

Also, I'm still trying to figure out Tywin.
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:09 am

A lot of critics thought Blackwater was the best episode in all of TV last year. I would pretty much agree with that. There was an episode of Mad Men that was pretty damn amazing, but that's besides the point. The battle was impressive for a TV show. Game of Thrones has a huge budget, but its nowhere near a movie budget.. and that is spread out through a whole season. So you have to take the battle scenes we actually get to see with a grain of salt. And Game of Thrones has 10000x better special effects than say... The Walking Dead. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself)
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:02 pm

Yeah there was only one part where a bunch of dudes rushed out that I even thought screamed this is a TV show. Otherwise I thought the battle was well done. The episode itself was fantastic. I think they could have showed more of this ep's battle myself but I guess they chose not too. I realize they can't do them all the time.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:36 pm

It was cool Davos was alive still I think. I thought he might have been a goner when I first watched Season 2.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Nephilimi Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:53 pm

Sorry I don't want to harp on this point. GoT is one of my top three shows of all time. I love it. And the final episode was awesome.

But the battle itself is just ridiculous. I find that GoT fans are in denial and afraid to admit just how awful the special effects were. Sometimes it was hard to tell what was happening because it was so bad. I've gotten in arguments with numerous people; my wife, in laws and friends about this. It's okay to admit that the battle looked hilarious without denigrating how awesome the episode or show was. I know it's "good for tv" and everything but it's still absolutely terrible.

My point again is just that the more they can avoid showing big battles, the happier it makes me. I thought the way they handled the first season battle was just brilliant.

Somehow I missed that picture you posted Trip. It's hilarious. My wife and I had a good laugh.

Nephilimi

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:34 am

I'm not even sure why I responded. I'm positive we had this discussion before so there is no point in doing it again.

You do like the one on one fights though right? There are some in book 3 that I'm pretty excited to see in the show. Those I know they will do.

The picture is hilarious. I think everyone I know in real life has at one point mixed up Robb and Theon so Other Robb is perfect. Or maybe Shitty Robb would have been good.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:43 am

I wont completely argue that the special effects were perfect but they were passable enough to me that it didn't break my immersion at all. I loved that episode.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:59 am

It was a good episode. Wish it was a 2-hour so we could have all the main characters subplots established/continued but I also wish these seasons were longer than 10 episodes. It's nice to want things.

Seeing Selmy at the end was nice. I like that character.
Charles Dance continues to kill as Tywin. I cannot wait to see how he handles Joffrey.
I really wanted to see Bronn throw down with those two guards.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:53 am

The Tywin/Tyrion scene was AWESOME.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:06 am

Wow. It's really incredible when a show that is a solid hour long seems like its 10 minutes. That episode flew by last night! Lots of great stuff. Did anyone else feel really sorry for Theon when he was getting tortured? I did, and I don't know why, because he was such a magnificent piece of shit at the end of last season.
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:38 pm

I don't think I cared... haha. I don't think I wanted more Theon at all!

Jaime was cracking me up. Those lines he had about Renly were hilarious. Like the one about the Throne of cocks... haha.

The Queen of Thorns was pretty great too. And Margaery is quite tricky.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:27 am

I felt a LITTLE bad for Theon but who's got him?! And don't tell me if we're not supposed to know but I feel I just forgot something from last season.

Also, the sword fight at the end was awesome considering Jaime is meant to be the best swordsman EVAH. And yeah, once again I find his character extremely compelling despite how much of an asshole he is. Episode flew by though, felt like barely anything happened.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:41 pm

Although he made some huge mistakes in the last season, I do feel bad for Theon because he's a tragic character. He's put in a shit situation his whole life because his father is an asshole. If there's one theme this show is masterful at displaying its the "sins of the father" one.

It's been a year since I read Storm of Swords so I don't recall who has him at this point but I'd rather be surprised than look it up.

As for the Jamie/Brienne fight, Jamie's hands are binded and he's probably not in peak physical condition (I'm thinking his time as a prisoner meant some torture and malnourishment). Brienne's taller, younger, healthier and quite fast in that all that armor. Where the scales balanced, it might be an even match. I feel the same way about the swordfight between Jaime and Ned in season 1. Where it not for that dickhead soldier spearing Ned through the leg, I found it hard to tell who had the upper hand there.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Nephilimi Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:50 am

Fuck this show, I can't stand having to wait a whole week for each episodes. The show is too damn good and it does feel like 10 minutes. I keep nervously watching the clock during the show hoping it won't end.

You guys are nuts, I'm loving this Theon torture. Next to Joeffrey he's the absolute worst. Even while he's being tortured he's annoying. Why would you shout after the guy that just whispered that he's going to save you?

Watching the sword fight at the end I was a little skeptical. How the heck is Jamie holding his own considering he's malnurished and has been squatting in the mud for a couple months... then Brienne started kicking his ass and it made sense. It was like she was afraid of him at first but as her confidence built she could see through his bluff. Awesome fight.

I really like the two new kids that are helping the Stark boys. I want to know what their deal is.

Also Jeoffrey's fiance (I forgot her name) is turing out to be an outstanding character. I love how perfect she is at playing everyone and how the queen hates her for it. "He's a monster" okay interesting, interesting... time to play into his malicious side... yes you should totally kill all the homosexuals my lord.

Nephilimi

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:23 pm

Yeah, Neph. Margary is awesome. I can't wait to see what she's up to.

This whole Theon torture thing is more confusing than anything else. I thought for sure that the Starks had him at the end of the season, but Rob has no idea where he is. I sort of feel bad for him... just a little.
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:39 pm

I hate to be this guy, but that sword fight was sooo much cooler in the book. What we got in the show was pretty cool, but yeah. I'd disagree with avid's claim that Brienne and Jaime are even if both are healthy. If both are healthy, Jaime wins hands down in a sword fight or so I think (maybe not in the show though given how this fight went). Scratch that bit. It was a bit over the top... haha. I will leave out the specifics of the book fight as I'm sure some of you will read it at some point.

Last edited by TripOpt55 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Nephilimi Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:29 pm

I would be curious about the fight Trip. Would you mind describing it in a spoiler thingy?

Nephilimi

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:44 pm

I think I liked the fight just more because her character really shined through when she had the upper hand on him. Because verbally he'd been owning her the whole episode, and you could really see her gain her footing in that fight. Just a nice character moment.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:06 pm

Yeah sure Neph. I decided to reread that section and rewatch the fight as I figured maybe I was being a bit harsh. I do think it's better in the book, but maybe not as much as my last post indicated. Regardless I enjoyed the show's version, but definitely had a different vision in my head based on the book which I think is better. Here is a comparison of sorts. It won't spoil anything to come just a comparison between the fights. Maybe avid will chime in too with some thoughts on the fight as he has read them. I've only talked to one other book reader about the fight and they agreed the book version is better.

Spoiler:

Also I was probably being a little too emphatic on who would win in a healthy one on one. I'd pick Jaime though. Maybe hands down was a bit much... haha. I was reading a very nerdy discussion on this elsewhere and was wound up.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:37 pm

To me, calling it an even match doesn't mean that I think Brienne would win. I just don't think it'd be as quick a takedown for Jaime as one would think.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next