The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion

+7
BretBaber
TheMatt
ajapam
Nephilimi
avidacridjam
Krubixcube
TripOpt55
11 posters

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion - Page 12 Empty Re: Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:14 pm

Agreed. Not very good this week.

Now that I have seen the end of it, I can't help but feel this whole Braavos arc for Arya was disappointing. It has always been pretty poorly paced, but I assumed it would eventually have a good payoff. And then we got this? The way the waif looked as she ran after Arya is honestly one of the goofiest looking things this show has ever done. Plus as you said, it didn't really fit her persona at all.

And I still have no idea what they are doing with Jaime in the show. I did like seeing Beric again. That was cool.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion - Page 12 Empty Re: Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion

Post by TheMatt Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:26 pm

Besides from the Hound stuff I thought this was a really weak episode as well. I'm just glad the current Arya storyline with the faceless men is over and she can go back to doing awesome Arya stuff. I am excited for next week though. That battle should be off the hook! At least until Sansa fucks it all up.
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:54 pm

Hardhome guy was directing it, and I thought his direction was SUPERB last season so I'm really excited!
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:21 pm

Just...give the direction of the rest of the series to this guy. Please? Holy crap.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:44 am

The action and direction is once again superb. Like the last two major battle sequences (The Wall and Hardhome) it is just packed with all of these memorable moments. The cavalries meeting and flashing by Jon. The long take of him in the battlefield afterwards. Jon getting stuck under the stampede and how it and the whole bit inside the Phalanx formation felt claustrophobic. The shot of Jon, Tormund and Wun Wun getting out and then going in chase. And that is just in the Bastard Battle. There were plenty of cool moments in the Meereen one, plus that great shot of Davos after he finds Shireen's stag figurine.

There are other things from a plotting standpoint for the Northern stuff I don't get. Why didn't Sansa tell Jon about sending word to Littlefinger? Unless she actually wanted Jon and Rickon dead, I hope they broach this next week and don't just sweep it under the rug as a thing necessary to create the battle flow they wanted. (If I'm missing something here, please tell me. I'd rather not have a problem with this.) The Vale showing up to swing the tide was also super predictable and a little too similar to Blackwater and the Battle at the Wall. Like I knew it was coming before the battle even started and I guess I was just hoping they'd do something more interesting. Surprising isn't always better, but after two similar situations, I couldn't help but want something a little more unique. I continue to hate how brilliant and badass they made Ramsay throughout the show (including this battle), but at least he met his end and a fitting one at that. The Stark banners dropping at Winterfell was super satisfying too.

I had no idea they'd be including anything other than the Northern battle before watching (that I only knew from the title of the ep). I was happy to see we got some sweet battle scenes in Meereen. Dany looked good on her dragon this time. I thought the meeting with the Greyjoys was pretty good. That Grey Worm double throat slash was pretty badass. This isn't on the scale of the Meereen battle that is brewing in the books, but I am glad we got it in some form. It looked like last year when she got her fleet, they might be skipping the whole thing. And her setting out for Westeros actually feels imminent!

Anyway, great episode even with my quibbles above.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:53 am

Totally in agreement. The writing problems with this season still persist, it's just easier to ignore them when the execution is so good Laughing
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:42 pm

Sansa's choice to keep Littlefinger's involvement a secret from her allies continues to be a big question mark. What Littlefinger wants in return (because he never makes a choice unless it benefits him in some way) is still mysterious but I also suspect something unwholesome, 'cause it'll involve Sansa.

I'm glad we're rid of Ramsay but imagine how his fate would've really impacted us if we really gave a damn about him in any way? And of course the writers allowed him to take two more likable characters down before Jon beat the shit out of him. I wonder if the writers really like the monsters a little too much...

The Meereen sequence was badass. The dragons were great but I was more impressed by the way Grey Worm dealt with the question of which of the slave masters should die. That was fucking dope.

Now, if they really want to make me happy this season, just fucking deal with the High Sparrow and his pricks next episode already. Lancel, in particular. What a smug jerk.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:36 pm

Finally caught up. The battle scene was awesome, though I agree on all accounts regarding littlefinger/knights of the vale. Also, the giant seemed like it should've trumped the wall of shields to me. Just kick them down and stomp the hell out of them before they put up the spears. Or grab a soldier and throw him into the crowd.

I actually wasn't a fan of the mereen battle. They keep building up these conflits with Dany Only to go "nope! Mother of dragons! We win!"

The Greyjoy storyline in this season is suuuuper rushed. Two scenes with this random newbie, then they run away and sail all the way around westeros in like one episode.

All in all, though, I'm enjoying this season more than the last. The worst storylines at least have impact here, despite the unceremonious introductions and killings of multiple charactets

Last edited by ajapam on Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:37 pm

Where's Dorne? I mean, I understand they screwed up Dorne...badly last season, but to cut it out almost entirely after that big stab-fest seems odd to me.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:27 pm

I don't even know what they are supposed to do with Dorne at this point. Given the histories of their houses, Dany landing in Dorne and aligning with the Dornish before going to conquer Westeros would have been a good bet, but any Dornish character that would give a shit about their history/ties to the Targs is dead or was never in the show.

Guessing tonight's episode ends with Dany sailing off to Westeros. I'm guessing there are some fairly significant deaths in King's Landing tonight (those hints that Cersei may try and burn the city maybe?). And then:

Book Spoilers:
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:52 pm

I predict big deaths are King's landing but exactly how...I don't know. I think the Tyrells could make a BIG power move and finally oust the Lannisters OR
Spoiler:
I really don't know how this finale is going to play out. I really hope that Sansa's not telling Jon thing comes up to put our minds at ease though.

Book/spoilery stuff:
Spoiler:
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:15 am

10/10. Also Cersei looks like someone who cheats in Dark Souls now. I like it
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:05 am

Man that was awesome. My predictions were pretty good too! Not that the show is all that subtle or anything. I was going to say we'd see Arya in Westeros as well, but I never would have guessed she'd off someone already and someone so significant too. Everything is set up so well for this final stretch. I wish I could watch the next episode right now. Even the Dorne scene was pretty good since Olenna was just tearing apart the Sand Snakes. Oh and the music was especially good this week, the stuff playing during the early portion in King's Landing... oh man. Great.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:02 pm

Apart from the (numerous) huge moments in the episode, I loved Dany naming Tyrion her hand. And that last look on the High Sparrow's face when he realizes he's been played. I'm gonna miss Jonathan Pryce on the show
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:00 pm

Still reeling from that opening! As soon as I heard piano and organ in a Game of Thrones score I knew something was going to go down but nothing that dramatic. So well done.

I agree with the general consensus this season that payoffs were good but set ups were lacking but hopefully the execution remains as on point as those last couple episodes.

And Trip, you really did call it. Will have to bow to your wisdom next time! I'm excited for the Jaime-Cersei conflict that's coming but with house Tyrell, Martell and Greyjoy declaring for the Dany it seems like the Lanneisters don't have many allys left to really oppose them. And how will Jon factor in I wonder? AH! Good set up indeed.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:57 pm

They announced the directors for next season. Not what I was hoping for.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/29/game-thrones-season-7
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:27 pm

WHERE'S MY MAIN MAN?! Episode 9 and 10 were so good...and Hardhome. NO! Happy about the director of Baelor coming back though. Not so much with the "No One" episode guy. "Exciting chase sequence"...*sigh*

Hm pretty weak. That's a real shame.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:03 pm

I'm sure you guys saw this, but Season 7 is seven episodes and will premiere in Summer 2017 as opposed to the usual Spring. This lines up with what the showrunners have been saying, so a six-episode Season 8 as the final season seems probable.

I wonder if the director thing means there will be no big battles next season? None of the past battle directors are involved for Season 7.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:23 am

I hope Alan Taylor can find his footing again as a director because Thor: The Dark World and Terminator Genysis were disappointing and the worst of their respective series.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:50 pm

I'd be surprised if there were no big battles in season 7, but then again who can guess what's coming up? I'm really interested (and a bit worried) to see how they cap off the series
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:46 pm

What did you guys think of the premiere episode?
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:38 pm

I was pleasantly surprised by how slow it was. I thought they'd keep up the same break neck pace of season 6, but it was refreshing to see all the storylines kind of slow down and take stock.

At this point, with 2 seasons left I no longer expect the high intrigue political drama of the books, and with that mindset I was pretty happy.

Also, the Hound's character transformation hit me right in the feels.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:53 pm

Once again, impressed that they haven't abandoned the politics. Another surprisingly strong episode for a show that has now completely abandoned the books. *thumbs up*
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:09 pm

I really liked the premiere. The opening scene with Arya didn't work as well as I wanted it to, but I think this has more to do with my lingering issues with how her Braavos arc was handled. I've generally liked her scenes since (and did not recognize the singer, so that didn't kill that scene for me like it did for most).

The Hound scenes were awesome. Dany finally getting to Westeros was satisfying.

I was less into the second episode, but it was still pretty good. I liked the Dany/Olenna convo. I still don't think Euron works for me. I realize he was given a bit of a makeover for this year, but he still seems like a goof. They seem to be continuing to just slowly wipe Dorne away from the show. A shame it was handled so poorly. Oberyn was so awesome. Arya heading back to Winterfell is pretty sweet. Seems like she'll miss Jon. Looking forward to the Jon/Dany meeting.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:26 pm

I hate Euron. To me he's just a random evil guy thrown in last minute.
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:22 am

I feel I SHOULD hate Euron along with everyone else but...he's at least a LITTLE closer to the book Euron than the boring guy we got last season?

I know, it's very unfitting with my character to NOT be the cynical one but...eh, he's alright. I think he's a bit on-the-nose at inappropriate times but meh.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:25 pm

I do find his portrayal a little refreshing in context with the show, with how direct and intense he was during the battle... A straightforward bloodthirsty warrior sorta dude and not another Joffrey or Ramsey. I just hate how he was introduced last season to suddenly make this Greyjoy plot that doesn't really interest me a thing and feel like he would've been better off showing up earlier and/or as more of a minor player
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:12 am

Holy shit. That new episode was so fucking dope.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:43 am

Yeah the new episode was awesome. The battle was fucking crazy, but I liked all the stuff that came before like the Sansa/Arya reunion and the Arya/Brienne sparring too. Also Davos saying fewer was hilarious.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:57 pm

I really liked the Bran and Littlefinger scene. Speaking of which, the moment where Bran repeats "chaos is a ladder" was clearly noticed by the latter. We don't know if Bran has had a vision where he knows Littlefinger's involvement in this whole mess but if he does....is it just me or is Bran in danger of bringing out his queen a little too early, so to speak?
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next