The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion

+7
BretBaber
TheMatt
ajapam
Nephilimi
avidacridjam
Krubixcube
TripOpt55
11 posters

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion - Page 11 Empty Re: Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion

Post by ajapam Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:17 pm

I was wondering about the greyscale thing, too. Part of me hopes it did transfer so I don't have to worry about Dany flying over the sea and suddenly saving the day in the final season
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion - Page 11 Empty Re: Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion

Post by avidacridjam Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:33 am

Maybe greyscale is only contagious when the infected is at a certain state/phase through his/her condition. The ones who attacked Jorah some episodes ago looked pretty far gone.

Jaqen knows Arya lied, of course. I suspect that he's always known why she showed up to the House of Black and White. Now its a question of whether he allows her to kill Trant. Wonder what the consequences are for failing her original mission?

Stannis is doomed at this point. Whether his seige for Winterfell is successful or not (or anything else that follows, really), he's a broken man for what he allowed here. While following Melisandre's advice in the past has yielded results, you could at least tell that this was a hard, horrible decision for him. Stephen Dillane's performance in that last conversation with Shireen was impressive.

The look that Olly gave Jon Snow was NOT a good sign.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:15 am

I'm a bit mixed on this finale. Like last year it felt like it rushed to show way too much for one episode. I'll try to cover all of the bases but I might miss something

- I would've liked more time to see Stannis after that huge moment last week. They built up his relationship with Shireen all season and then he kills her and then he dies. It felt really cheap and easily resolved which goes directly against this show's nature

- Meryn Trant's death was brutal. Awesome scene. And the aftermath was pretty unexpected

- I like the new pairings in Essos

- Winterfell... Well it's cool that Theon finally did something, but did they just drop Sansa's arc entirely? She never did anything this season. She's become a pointless character at this point. And then they jump off the wall? What?

- The scene in Dorne made me happy. At least something important finally happened there. Not sure why we needed a full season for it other than to keep Jaime out of King's Landing

- The final two scenes with Cersei and Jon were great. Cersei's in particular could turn into something pretty interesting, I think
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:24 pm

Yeah, I agree on Stannis. I knew that was his downfall, but I think he deserved at least an on screen death. A bit more time with that scene, him reacting to being killed by his brother's kingsguard etc.

I LOVED the scene in the house of black and white. They are TRULY no one in a way that even the books didn't convey.

Jumping off the wall...they'll be found or escape or...something. I REALLY hope they don't just give Sansa a moment of agency ony to take it away.

Dorne...was a waste this season. I think Jaime's mission should have been diplomatic, give more times to the politics/more scenes between Jaime and Doran because that was an actual useful scene, and it didn't need the useless action scenes to get there. Dorne wouldn't have refused a kingsguard entering the city. Then the sand snakes could have had their attempt, Jaime would have gotten involved just to save his daughter and could have ended the same. Just wasted time on scenes with Jaime and Bronne that could have been well...Dorne. Doran talking about the Dornish/flesh out that situation.

Cersei's walk of shame was handled SO well. Good scene. Jon's death...man:

Spoiler:
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:50 pm

I thought this episode was great. They got a lot done. I was surprised they actually did the battle of Winterfell. I figured their budget was used up in the two previous episodes. Obviously they skipped it mostly, but the overhead shots were still great and it made that storyline feel more complete. I do agree things felt a little rushed from Stannis going through with killing his daughter to the events of this episode. But I kind of figured since they didn't show Stannis die, he might still be alive. Especially with Stannis' last line to Brienne. Are there other examples of this show not showing major characters actually die? I have no idea why they'd cut away if he actually died.

The Cersei and Arya storylines were both handled great this week. Dany's a bit less so, but I still liked it. I'm excited to see where the stuff heads in Meereen and with her. I guess Tyrion will straight up take Barristan's role here, so I guess that makes even more sense to get rid of him even though I really loved Barristan. Dany and Tyrion together was such a tease. Still was rad to see the scenes we got.

Dorne was definitely a bust and I don't think what they did with Sansa this season ended up being worthwhile. Dorne needed more Doran. I think the idea of bringing Jaime to Dorne made sense, but I really wish they'd have kept the character development he had in AFFC. It went well alongside Cersei's arc. Those issues started last year (not because of the rape which didn't help, but really their relationship after seemed unclear and this season didn't really right that ship in my opinion). And while it isn't a big deal the bad pussy line was some all-time awful dialogue. I guess something at least happened with Myrcella dying, but the storyline as a whole was certainly the worst this season. I really dug the scene with him and Myrcella though.

I similarly wish we could have seen Sansa grow more as a character despite the new storyline, but I don't really think we did. And her being in a situation so similar to one we have seen her in before wasn't very compelling.

I don't think Jon will stay dead. (I don't think this needs to be spoilered since we ended in the same spot in the book). I think Kit is just doing his best job of trying to make it seem like he is dead. He can't exactly go, "No I'm totally getting resurrected next year" in interviews. As Twolf suggested, I think Melisandre will ressurect him like Thoros did for Beric. Melisandre seemed more shaken than I expected by how things went with Stannis which was interesting, but her coming back to the Wall in time to bring Jon back makes it seem more likely she does.

Of course, I could be totally wrong. If Jon really is dead, it just seems to me like it will be bad storytelling by both Martin and the showrunners. Unlike some of the big deaths in the past, Jon's wouldn't add much of value to the show in my opinion. He and Dany not being around for the final season would shock me. Same goes for Tyrion and Arya, but to a lesser degree.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:41 am

Also, the minute you take away Jon, no viewer or reader gives a shit about anything that happens at the Wall. Until we see his corpse, he lives.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:05 am

Well, we'll know within about 5 months. No NDA in the world will stop a production assistant from leaking the fact that Kit is back on set.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:35 pm

Hey this is back tonight!
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon May 02, 2016 12:58 am

As you can guess, spoilers of the new season aplenty:

Knew it. Freakin' knew it.

I don't remember why when I read the books I knew he wasn't dead, but I remember thinking that it was the only possible outcome.

Good scene though.

My one complaint/like this season:

It's both a good and bad thing that the showrunners have their eye on the ending. I like that this season feels like it's moving the show towards a conclusion. BUT the sudden stabbings lose their shock value when there's no build up.

Roose deserved a better death, and it could have been done within the episode. Cut out the Sansa bit this week and add a bit after the initial Ramsey/Roose meet up where Roose is like "Hey Carstark, let's kill Roose." and Carstark's all like "Yeah, Roose, into that." then have a scene where Roose goes up to confront Ramsey with Carstarck but then Carstarck turns on Roose and Ramsey's all like "yeah...well, PSYCH!". I hope these no build up stabbings slow down a bit because it's really unsatisfying.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon May 02, 2016 2:01 am

The first episode was very blah. The second episode was very good.

I did feel that the resurrection felt a bit perfunctory? Perhaps I have been expecting it for too long, I was like alright about time (PS, does it make sense that Davos would push for this the way he did?). I'm more interested in what happens now. Will he be changed. What will he do next. That sort of thing. I'm glad they didn't drag out the resurrection any longer. Jon needs to be back in the story.

I'd have to agree with your assessment of the Roose death. It deserved a bit more time put into it.

How do you feel about them bringing in the Greyjoy stuff Twolf? I know you were happy they cut it last year. Also in regards to that:

Book Spoilers:

I really liked the scenes between Sansa/Theon and Jaime/High Sparrow. And the Bran flashback was neat. This was an all-around very good episode.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Mon May 02, 2016 4:28 am

I agree. Great episode after an underwhelming premiere. I did think it was weird how hard Davos was pushing for Jon's resurrection, yes. Also, why did Tyrion ask the girl (there's too many names in this show!) if she had had contact with the dragons and then go himself anyway? Felt like a "Tyrion's the best so he should do this" cheat.

Nobody mentioned this scene yet but I liked when Cersei met up with her son. This episode did a good job of fleshing out that relationship along with Sansa/Theon.

Nothing to add about Roose's death but Ramsay's been one of the weaker characters on the show. What he did makes sense for his character I guess but I was disappointed because Roose has a much better on-screen presence, I find. Ramsay still feels like a poor man's Joffrey
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon May 02, 2016 4:14 pm

I like the Greyjoy stuff but it would have felt overcrowded. So far, their casting of Euron is...not great. He seems a bit too "pretty" for lack of a better word but I'm glad the Iron Islands factor in somewhere.

And yes to both of you, Davos is a weird one. I think the Red Woman should have tried it herself. It still fits with her character to not really believe it, have a brief flash of "but maybe..." then walk out feeling she failed and then show it worked?

It honestly felt like they just needed it to happen and get it over with but the actual ressurection scene itself was really cool, I thought insomuch as the way it was shot it could have gone both ways: end with his eyes opening OOOH SHIT, or end with his eyes staying closed and saying "Yup, he's dead for realsies".
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon May 02, 2016 8:28 pm

During the offseason I thought for sure Dany would be heading to Westeros by season's end, but that is seeming less likely. Maybe I just want her to get there. If there really are 13 episodes left after this season, I feel like she needs to get going.

I assume she will somehow get control of the Khalasar? Or at least that is also what I thought going into this season. It seems like you roll over to Westeros with some barbaric horselords and fire-breathing dragons, you'd have a villainous presence which would be interesting. You'd figure those dragons have to play a part in besting the Whitewalkers though too. I guess it depends where they are at by the time she arrives.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon May 02, 2016 9:38 pm

Much to my relief the show runners say they want one or two more seasons at most, so I think some big things are going to happen. We definitely won't have a George R R Martin-esque season-long plod as Dany is dragged through the Khalasar. Your guess is as good as mine.

My guess is either she'll take over the Khalasar or she'll reunite with all 3 of her dragons and destroy them all in fire.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun May 22, 2016 11:21 pm

Hold the door, guys. Hold the door ;_______;

In a season that's felt very rushed that episode was great and that moment was phenomenal.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Wed May 25, 2016 12:12 am

The ending with Bran and Hodor was pretty wild. Makes me wonder what else Bran may have affected in the past (even if he hasn't done it himself yet, if that makes sense). Loved the Sansa scene with Littlefinger too. Everything going on in the North has been really good this season.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Fri May 27, 2016 11:02 am

Holy shit. Just dawned on me that I haven't contributed to this thread since the show started up again. So sorry about that.

Thoughts so far:

- Even if its only to counter the relentless nihilism of last season, this season has become stronger since most of the storylines have finally been gaining momentum. And also, of course, the "good guys" have received some wins.

- Others have said this so I'll join in. The writers plateaued with Ramsay a LONG time ago. I don't know if I've ever seen a one-dimensional villain get away with so much shit before his inevitable end. The thing with Joffrey (and it's not saying much but it says more than Ramsay) is that he's a product of bad parenting (Cersei may loved him but she's still a poor mother; Rob Baratheon seemed less of a father than he was a king) and raised under a household that drilled two ideas into him: fear = respect and the title of king as right more than duty.
Roose allowed Ramsay to indulge in any whim with an expected level of restraint that Roose himself adhered to. People here know how much of a fan I was of Charles Dance's take on Tywin Lannister. Michael McElhatton's work as Roose was the closest thing after Dance left. So it kinda bummed me out when Roose was murdered. Roose should've expected Ramsay to attempt this after the announcement of a rival heir.

All in all, it leaves Ramsay with no one to keep him in check, rewards him after another atrocity (upon foundations) and builds such a boring role that no revenge can satisfy. I mean, get Jon or Brienne to hack off his limbs, cut his dick off and put it in his mouth, set him fire and kick him out the Moon Door while Keyboard Cat is playing him off....that might work.

- I never thought I'd say this but the Bran and Arya subplots are duking it out for least interesting storyline. In Bran's case, the writers are just needle-dripping the info and with Raven gone, they've upped the stakes but made Bran's training hit another roadblock. Now he may not know what the hell he's doing. It's like killing Yoda before he could finish Luke's training.
As for Arya, there's only so much I can take. How many more times will I have to watch The Waif beat the shit out of her and declare that Arya doesn't belong? The more and more this storyline plays out, the more I don't want to see Arya turn into this mindless, soulless assassin that Jaqen is grooming her to be. I know her options are few but WHERE THE FUCK ARE WE GOING WITH THIS?

- Jon's resurrection was a foregone conclusion. I may have said this before the minute you remove Jon, there's no point to hang out at the Wall. And you definitely want the deaths to have meaning and not feel abitrary. And we still don't know Jon's parentage. Kinda feel bad for Edd that he's left with running Castle Black but he and all his men are screwed anyway. As for Davos pushing for Jon's revival, I think its because he recognized Jon as the only sensible leader left at Castle Black (after all the time that Davos and Stannis spent there); he's not going to get any support from Alliser.

- Jon and Sansa reuniting was wonderful and affecting. Jon is having a Buffy-like withdrawal from dying and resurrecting but its great that Sansa wants to take out Ramsay so damn bad. Speaking of Sansa...

- Calling out Littlefinger on his shit was awesome. Also, based on his "half-brother" remark, does he know anything about Jon's parentage?

- What do I need to say about Dany's mic drop that hasn't been said?

- The House Greyjoy scenes were good. I like the actor who plays Euron. While Yara and Theon may get a headstart (towards Dany?) that he's on the same path sets up an interesting conflict.

- Looking forward to the demise of the High Sparrow and his cult. Actually rooting for Cersei and Jaime in this regard.

- Please let the courtship between Brienne and Tormund happen.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sat May 28, 2016 1:22 am

I'm with you on Arya. She has always been one of my favorite characters. I actually think she had the most consistently entertaining storylines through four seasons, but her training has been too drawn out and repetitive. They need to move things forward with her for sure.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun May 29, 2016 5:15 pm

I loved the scene where Sansa called out Littlefinger as well. I read somewhere (forget the source) that some people thought it showed her respectfully as a rape survivor as well after mishandling the use of rape so bad in the last few seasons. And FINALLY after 6 seasons Sansa is starting to grow some teeth and not be so timid which, personally, I would have hoped to happen one or two seasons ago but better late than never.

I'm on HBO Go now so does anyone know if I get the show simultaneously or no?
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun May 29, 2016 8:33 pm

Yeah you should be able to watch at the same time it usually airs via Go (I haven't tried myself, but I know some friends who watch on there).
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon May 30, 2016 9:59 am

I like that the pace of the last two episodes has slowed down a little. I was worried it was going to continue at breakneck speed until the end which, well, wouldn't feel like Game of Thrones.

Also, BENJIN STARK, yaaaaaaaaay!
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon May 30, 2016 9:29 pm

The Benjen (and Coldhands!) part was pretty exciting. Were they hinting that the Mad King's Burn them all thing was influenced by either Bran (eventually) or The Three-Eyed Raven? Might be reading too much into it.

I enjoyed the little detour for Sam even if it seemed as much to get him a Valyrian Steel Sword.

Seems they are bringing back a few plots this season that they had initially seemed to be skipping as well.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon May 30, 2016 10:32 pm

I've heard that theory (about Bran and the mad king) but I can't say it occurred to me while watching it myself. I just saw it as he was seeing history in its entirety (even stuff we, the audience haven't seen). But who knows? Maybe!
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue May 31, 2016 1:28 am

Right. I think I have spent this past week going too far down the wild theory rabbit hole... haha.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue May 31, 2016 10:06 am

What is the theory, exactly?
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:05 pm

I'd have to look it up again for the specifics. I forget where exactly I saw it.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:19 pm

Welp, this will be one of those cases where I'll have to admit my girlfriend was right: she said at the beginning of this season they'd be speeding up the pace to get characters to where they needed to be for the final seasons in order to create a prolonged and epic final battle. I did not believe her but so far her predictions have come through. The last three episodes have slowed down in a very satisfying way and seem to be playing to a larger conflict.

Also...the hound! Who'd of thought?

Side note: I'm happy that the writing, as well, has returned to an "older" style of speech. It was beginning to feel a bit modern and out of place but that's largely been curved the last few episodes.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:40 pm

Loved seeing The Hound again. Two weeks in a row now the show has sort of confirmed two of those suspected character identities in the books (Benjen being Coldhands and Sandor being the Gravedigger).

Also loved Lyanna Mormont. She was awesome. I am glad things have been a struggle for Jon and Sansa. I love their storyline this year, but going around and just snatching up all the Northern houses given their recent histories would have been too easy.

Not sure what to think of this whole Arya thing. Still kind of meh on the current King's Landing stuff. Like that Yara is closing in on Meereen so quickly. Gives me hope for Dany heading to Westeros soon-ish.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:23 pm

That little girl is my hero. What an awesome little actress.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:00 am

This week was weak (ha!) honestly. And I think most of it was in the direction. All of these big moments not shown on screen (Blackfish's death, Dany returning), a chase with a faceless man (who we've seen from season 2 to be badasses) and it's just...a girl runnin' after a girl. Where was the "OH, you thought I was behind you because I was actually this FISH MONGER!" *miss a stab*. There was no real tension in that final chase for me, and Jaquen's whole "...Oh, so you killed her, uh...I guess you're no one now" moment was lame, when he should have just rebuffed her and it would have worked as well.

Easily the weakest episode of this season, despite being written by the showrunners (Hound moments not included, those were good).
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next