November 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion

Post by ajapam on Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:57 am

The whole team setup in this episode felt rather forced. But it made for lots of Davos, which is always good. What was the deal with the parchment Arya took from Littlefinger?

This episode confirmed my hopes that the writers know what they're doing with Dany and that's a big relief. I was a little worried she was just becoming evil because they wanted her to look badass.

ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam on Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:16 pm

ajapam wrote: What was the deal with the parchment Arya took from Littlefinger?

It's the scroll Cersei forced Sansa to write near the end of Season One. In it, Sansa wrote to Robb Stark to come to King's Landing and swear fealty to King Joffrey (this is after Ned is accused of treason and Robert Baratheon is killed).

Littlefinger is trying to drive a wedge between the sisters.

avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:02 pm

This was my least favorite episode of the season. Bronn and Jaime managing to swim however far they did and escape capture was pretty ridiculous. Even dumber is this whole plan to snag a wight and haul it down to King's Landing. Don't really care for the Arya/Littlefinger stuff at the moment either.

Otherwise, I just think the show is moving too fast still. I wish D&D would have been interested in doing more episodes. Even if these last two seasons had been ten each, it would have given some of these moments a little more room to breathe. Right now it often feels like they are just jumping from one big event to the next.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:02 am

Weirdly enough, I'm on the opposite side with Dany. My hope for the books was that Dany would turn out to be a naive conqueror, and I like that she very much is living up to that. Old habits die hard.

I actually like that Littlefinger is still capable of counter-scheming instead of just dying unceremoniously.

BUT, I will agree on the pace being a little jarring. It's moving VERY fast now, but at this point...that's just what the show has to be. I'll save my hopes for slow drawn out setups for the books (which may or may not ever come).

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:16 pm

It's weird how one episode will have a character zipping around the continent, like with Davos sailing to King's Landing and back again. I don't remember if the show has always been this inconsistent regarding that, though.

ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:25 pm

I understand that they're speeding it up but a few lines every once in a while to give a frame of reference would be nice: "I didn't just spend 2 weeks on the damn ocean to...".

I mean, I say that but Sam's fucking baby ruins everything. You can ALMOST make the case that it's been years and years except for the god...damn...baby.

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam on Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:46 am

An entire episode based around the two worst plots... I'm just glad they didn't bring back The Hound or Jorah just to have them die in something so silly. The whole conflict between Arya and Sansa just seems so sudden and weird with Arya doing some children of the corn act or something.

ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam on Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:57 pm

The Arya/Sansa/Littlefinger subplot is fucking dumb and another example of Benioff and Weiss' worst tendencies when it comes to writing. Conflict where none is needed. These sisters just got back together for fuck's sake.

Geek Girl Diva via Twitter put it best: https://twitter.com/geekgirldiva/status/899477355525054464

avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:15 pm

Pretty silly episode. I hate the Arya/Sansa stuff. The whole bag a wight plan was just as dumb as I expected. I mean at least if it had featured an amazing action sequence like the series usually delivers, I could enjoy it for that, but this wasn't much to write home about in that department either.

I always knew a dragon would die and I figured it was highly likely one would be turned against Dany, but it was still a bummer to see it happen.

Hopefully the finale is good. One of my least favorite seasons so far.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:37 pm

The Arya subplot is so unmotivated and strange to me. I mean, I like the fact that Arya has come back a bit of a monster. I always wanted it, but the execution is so out of character. Why wouldn't two characters who've gone through hell put away their childish little squabbles? Even if Arya is playing Littlefinger it's not set up enough to matter. I mean, just have Arya be a monster in SERVICE of Sansa and it still gets the point across, right?

I still like this season, but so many of the subplots are rushed and feel like they didn't get as much love in the script as they should have. Take the, I think, universally thought of as stupid subplot of kidnapping a white. Great, gets us a cool action scene, but it's such a stupid plan.

Why not have Sam discover something but say "Okay...I want to confirm something, but in order to do it I have to get a wight. A whole one." So it's more about having a method of defeating them then showing something to Cersei, who in the last episode ALREADY made up her mind about what she's going to do anyway.

Just some lazy writing, in my opinion. And I think most people's criticisms are the same, so hopefully those combined voices will inform them when writing the next season.

Also...I'm annoyed at the Jon and Dany romance. I mean, I know some people wont be. I just think it's such an easy thing to do and makes it feel very "good against evil" which isn't what GoT is about.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam on Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:44 pm

And we haven't heard a peep from Bran in what, 2 episodes now? Great. He's a plot device more than a character now. So much for all that investment.

avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:15 pm

Unfortunately have to agree there too. And the same as Arya, I like what they did with him in theory: he's got that Dr. Manhattan "I'm so powerful now human beings seem like ants" thing going on but there needed to be 2-3 more scenes with him to REALLY hammer that in.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:52 am

I can't believe how few episodes of the show are left. Kind of feels like there is a ton to do still.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:08 am

I liked the finale. At least some of these dumb storylines got us to some cool scenes here. I'm glad Littlefinger bit it. I really liked the Tyrion-Cersei scene. And I even liked the meeting in the Dragon Pit. Jaime finally turning on Cersei is cool. I'm very ready for a Hound/Mountain battle which I assume is coming. I'm actually glad Cersei remains around as an antagonist because I'm not sure the Night King alone would do it for me for the finish. Using the dragon on the Wall was predictable, but that was definitely an appropriate final scene.

I just felt the whole Jon-Dany sex scene was so weird. To have the reveal of his name and being legitimate playing over the sex. It was so awkward. And like what happens now? It's not like Jon finding out he is a Targaryen is instantly going to make him go, "Oh well, no big deal that I boned my aunt then. Kind of a family tradition." Also was Rhaegar so obsessed with prophecy that he named both his sons Aegon like just to have his bases covered? Or like he realized the first one wasn't the real deal, so just named the next one Aegon? Or did the writers just decide to kind of ignore his other son existing (he has been mentioned on the show before)?
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:11 am

I'm hoping the weirdness of the sex scene was intentional. And thank god, those two needed some real tension between them and fast.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam on Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:29 am

I enjoyed this finale. Did a number of things to smooth over some rough bits from earlier in the season. I'm SO glad they took the Sansa/Arya plot that way, not only because having them square off would be stupid but because it's a satisfying end for Littlefinger to have one of his schemes turned on him. Also finally gives Sansa a time to shine again... Which seems to be a thing reserved for finales now that I think of it.

I'm sort of glad Cersei didn't really commit to the truce. It seemed unlike her to do so. But then the whole plan about bringing back a whitewalker is probably even dumber. I liked the final scene between her and Jamie (also that Jamie finally got out of there or did anything at all)

Theon going for redemption is cool enough. He could've just been a total failure and I would've been fine with that too. Just a character who goes down the wrong path and can't undo what he's done. I do think the show has extended character arcs beyond where they could've ended and dulled its humanity a bit. I mean Jorah could've just been doomed to die, you know? The Hound could've died when Arya left him... Just let me be sad about something! But I liked Theon's scenes for the first time in a little while and if we're gonna have a redemption story, nobody needs to redeem himself more.

The Hound's response to the news about Arya made me feel good inside.

The sex scene was an HBO shared universe tie-in to shows like True Detective and The Wire. Time is a flat circle, Jon/Dany are the new Cersei/Jamie.

I think some big problems with this season were that A: The character development in the show lost steam a long time ago and B: The big plot moments that otherwise carry the show haven't been thought out as much since there's no real source material. For all we know even GRRM is just pulling this stuff out of his ass when he gives input, or at the very least he has this stuff planned but hasn't thought of how to get there. I'm sure the final season will give us some great battles at least.

ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam on Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:01 pm

Enjoyed the finale. While I'm relieved that the Winterfell subplot concluded as it did, I felt that the decision to fool viewers (myself included) about Arya's intentions robbed us of more character development for the recently-reunited siblings. Littlefinger's comeuppance was super sweet, though. I just wanted there to be more time between the siblings, time for healing or reflection. Instead, it threatened to make them plot devices (e.g., Bran).

I would've trimmed the Theon/Jon scene; I felt Theon wouldn't need Jon's forgiveness to move on and try to rescue Yara. It dragged the momentum. Now, the beach fight? Well done.

I was wondering how much longer Jaime was going to put up with Cersei's shit because there's been many moments in the past few seasons where her decisions have given him pause. When Jaime called her bluff to give Franken-Gregor the order to kill Jaime, the moment the latter goes for his sword almost made me jump. I've been doubtful about the possibility regarding Jaime's redemption (as he's still stood by her side) but I'm sold on it now.

Cersei's scene with Tyrion was also terrific, enough to remind me how long its been since these two have had a scene together, trading insults and matching wits (which was one of the pleasures of seasons 2 and 3). And again, Tyrion daring Cersei to have him killed was a serious close call. I love that he goes for a glass of wine.

Ultimately, Cersei acted in the way anyone suspected her too, because of course it has to end that way. I'm of the mind that the Night King and his army gets dealt with and the 2nd half deals with the battles between Golden Company and whatever is left of the Dothraki/Unsullied/Jamie's army.

As for Jon and Dany, the sex scene felt appropriately awkward. Yes, the Targaryans "kept those bloodlines pure" but their feelings for each other have been built up over the past season. How it continues after they find out about Jon's true identity and lineage will be a different beast altogether. Dany realizing that she's not the next in line for the throne could really muck things up.

And what the hell was up with the look that Tyrion gives as Jon enters her cabin?

Also, regarding Jon: his decision to announce his alliance to Dany during the Dragonpit meeting (and his allies' disapproval of it) was a great jab at the "making dumb decisions like every male Stark" criticism. Even Jon mentions it but I love this remark: "Make enough false promises and words lose meaning."

Overall, I liked this season, warts and all. And I think the decision to speed things up is a good idea as long as the writers make good decisions. Pacing problems have been a thorn in this series' side, especially in the later seasons. While its not as strong a finale as season 6's, it sets up the final season effectively.

avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:08 pm

I have nothing to add to what you guys have said already.

Our interpretation over here of Tyrion's look was that he's been concerned all season that he can't reign in Dany's impulsive nature, and here she is being impulsive again.

That was the only thing that made sense anyway.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:20 pm

Season 8 directors are Sapochnik, Nutter and Benioff/Weiss. The latter will be doing the finale. Sounds like Sapochnik will be doing a couple at least. I wonder if the finale will be more of an epilogue if D&D are doing it. Happy with the other choices though.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:07 pm

That's a good group (shame that Sapochnik isn't doing the finale but so it goes.)

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

View previous topic View next topic Back to top