The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

The Bullshit Thread

+7
ajapam
A Roguish Ham
BretBaber
Krubixcube
Miraculous Kaydybug
pspiddy
volvocrusher
11 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The Bullshit Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: The Bullshit Thread

Post by volvocrusher Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:24 am

Spiddy, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that, but that's not an outlook, that's reality. It's not always survival, but for the 5% of time that an officer has to deal with violent criminals, that's exactly what it is. Criminals aren't afraid to kill, so thinking otherwise will only get them killed.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by volvocrusher Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:14 am

Fact: Cops do not know for certain what a criminal is thinking or planning
Fact: Criminals have used lethal force against cops before and will into the future.
That means that when dealing with a criminal, it's about surviving and protecting innocents, plain and simple. Doing otherwise will get cops and innocents killed and every single cop I have talked to when interviewing and asking questions has told me that exact thing. You may not like this reality, you may not want this reality to exist. But that's the reality at hand. I try to be open minded, but this really is that black and white.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:32 pm

I see what your'e trying to say greenman but most officers go their whole life without pulling a gun, to put oneself in a mindset of "it's us vs. them" automatically skews the mind towards violence perhaps. I don't know, it's a complex issue, and I don't want to oversimplify it but a use of excessive force, no matter if the cop's mindset towards the situation was racially biased or not is a sign of bad training. An officer shouldn't think "HE'S A CRIMINAL SO I'M GONNA SHOOT HIM" that's a sign of bad training, right?

I don't know, I can't articulate, it's 1:30, I've been working all day but this case, REGARDLESS of whether Mike Brown was an angel or not was a case of unnecessary violence. I can't speak for the nation, and I certainly can't speak for that community who has had racial discrimination probably their whole lives, but me personally if I had seen this case and seen that 2 or 3 shots were fired...I would forgive it. The police officer judged the situation perhaps wrongly but was operating on training and fired his weapon and brought a criminal down...OK. But he fired an excessive number of shots, most of them missing. This man was panicked and probably shouldn't have had a firearm to begin with.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:58 pm

You guys are misunderstanding what I'm saying. I am talking about when a criminal attacks a police officer. I'm a supporter of community oriented policing when dealing with the public normally, but when violence happens, that's the unfortunate reality.

Like how in that case if Michael Brown did go after his gun, I understand why he shot him. Not why he shot him twelve fucking times, but why he went for that over his taser or baton. So I agree with you there Kubert.

Also spiddy, fuck you for that comment. Seriously, fuck you. I'm talking about the dozens of officers who have given lectures and I've talked to personally who are scarred by having to shoot someone else, but also knowing that these guys were too dangerous to not shoot. And when every single one of them said something along those lines, even though they support leaving a positive impact on the public during the vast majority of their patrol, I'm going to take that as a lesson I need to know.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:30 pm

No, I'm not. I'm going off of what real people in the field tell me. You're listing off a movie to watch. How can you say I am romanticizing with this? And this isn't for my benefit at all. It's what I think.

You don't want me to tell you to go fuck yourself? Then don't take personal shots at me. Simple as that.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:53 pm

pspiddy wrote:Don't be so sensitive. If I wanted to take a personal shot I'd say Spiddy being a fucking dick who doesn't know when to stop.

pspiddy wrote:You're a scary individual who lives in fear. I'd venture a guess that you're a white male with an education in an affluent neighborhood? Can't wait until you police my neighborhood

You really want to keep going with you not taking any personal shots at me? Really? I'm aware when I'm in the field my attitude towards everything will change. But don't go saying shit like this about me then say I'm being too fucking sensitive.

So you know what? Fuck you again. I don't want to have a discussion about this with you, not because I'm too defensive or sensitive. Notice T-Wolf disagreed and I have no issue with that? That's because he's not being a fucking asshole about it. You are. So until you can learn how to talk about this in a way where you're not being a dick, don't even bother talking to me.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:33 pm

It's hard to tell context when I can't understand what the hell you're saying half the time. Part of me thinks you're just using that to your advantage so you don't have to take some accountability
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:59 am

Would you guys cool it off? Seriously. It's like you're trying to pick a fight, spiddy.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:25 pm

You don't have to worry about me continuing this. Or saying anything to Spiddy for quite some time.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:37 am

Why can't cops where Nike apparel? It would be a lot easier to chase down criminals in comfortable athletic ware. Itchy ass polyester? Now that screams bullshit thread.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:38 am

You sound like George Costanza trying to get the Yankees to wear cotton.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:58 am

George Costanza is the smartest character ever made for television. I know I wouldn't be able to chase anyone down in a police outfit and I'm faster than the average 31 year old.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:21 pm

I didn't step in because at this point I just assume we are all adults and can handle things ourselves. I actually think you make some good points here spiddy about the police issues being discussed, but you do so in a manner that rubs even people who may agree with some of your points the wrong way. Like it seems extremely childish to go make some passive-aggressive comment about the topic in the chat thread (and if that wasn't your intention, I think it still came off that way to everyone who read both topics). It's one thing to bring up an old argument as a joke when everyone is long over the argument, but while it is fresh and going on seems kind of shitty.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:57 am

I think Trip worded it best, but despite talking about "guys like Neph and Greenie" you're doing exactly what people reacted so strongly to in regards to Neph which is stating an opinion in a way that puts down others and stops discussion in its tracks. Worse yet you make personal insults to people here, which hell, I like to think we're all friends here and if you said anything like that to me while we were discussing things I would be evaluating that friendship a bit. You do make some valid points but so does Greenie, he grew up in a different way to you, he has different experiences and forums like this are good because you can get those opinions and digest them a bit.

So, the hippy upbringing in me says let's all sing songs and get along, which wont happen but we're all well-educated adults here so it's a bit weird to see bickering like that.

I've said my piece, now back to complaining about stuff which is what this forum is truly for, like people who don't take off their backpacks on public transportation so you can't pass by them on the train and they just stand there near the doors like fools
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:10 pm

The North Korea hack is REALLY annoying me. I mean, I think Sony is much less worried about an attack than they are about being further embarrassed by more hacks. Either way though...way to set a horrible precedent Sony.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:17 pm

Actually Sony is less to blame than these theaters refusing to show it. Regal and other companies are the ones I'm mostly irritated at. That's why it's still being shown in Canada, they're not afraid. Though I do have to give props to the smaller theaters who can't get it because of the bigger theaters and are showing Team America instead
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:11 pm

volvocrusher wrote:Actually Sony is less to blame than these theaters refusing to show it. Regal and other companies are the ones I'm mostly irritated at. That's why it's still being shown in Canada, they're not afraid. Though I do have to give props to the smaller theaters who can't get it because of the bigger theaters and are showing Team America instead

I agree with this. Sony's getting an unfair proportion of the blame for the debacle over The Interview. If the five largest theater chains in North America hadn't all refused to show the movie, it would have been released. Yeah, I guess they could have released it over Netflix or something, but Sony isn't really the bad guy in this one. Their PR hasn't been great, yeah, but most PR is bullshit anyway. And perhaps it was not the theater chains themselves, but the folks underwriting their insurance, that gave the order not to show the movie.

Businesses by and large are very risk averse. By and large, sentiments like "don't cave in to terrorists" mean jack shit to them. When they see even the slightest threat of violence or loss, they'll almost always choose to err on the side of caution. Your workplace gets a bomb threat called into it, even if it's some schizophrenic playing with the pay phone or a customer with a petty grudge? Nine times out of ten, your boss is going to close the doors until they're absolutely sure the threat is not credible. Someone finds some funny object on an airplane, or someone gets unruly onboard? Emergency landing and full investigation.  I've missed quite a few days of college just because some anonymous putz called in a threat. Two of our sister facilities in St. Louis have been closed intermittently since the Ferguson riots started even though those facilities are miles away from Ferguson.

If, at the end, Sony does decide to show the movie, mazel tov to them. If not, mazel tov to them anyway. If it had been me, I'd have probably said screw it, show the damn movie anyway, they're blowing smoke up my ass anyway. But that's just me.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:44 pm

I hate hackers.  I think they are the scum of the world. I get that they're always targeting these big companies, but in the end it is everyday people like us that get shafted.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:20 am

volvocrusher wrote: That's why it's still being shown in Canada, they're not afraid.
Actually I haven't heard anything about that
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:27 pm

Hello everyone. I have been slacking the past year on moderating. I apologize for this. Earlier in this thread I chimed in on what I had a problem with during the Ferguson discussion. Spiddy making a passive aggressive comment in another thread that bothered me. So I chimed in and said I wasn't a fan of that. If the argument was going to play out, I'd prefer it stay in this thread.

Spiddy has taken issue with me singling him out in public which is fair. I was wrong to do so. I apologize to you spiddy for that. Now I will be talking about the whole discussion. I think spiddy started attacking Greenman which was wrong. Greenman responded with some fuck yous and the like which I also found wrong. Spiddy you are not to attack other members of the forum. Greenman in the future even if someone attacks you I'd prefer you not respond in kind and contact me as a neutral party to handle it. Those rules go for everyone.

If your attack spiddy was a result of an ongoing problem with Greenman which prompted this attack, you should have contacted me before taking matters into your own hands. If you still have a problem, I would prefer you contact me again and give me evidence of these ongoing issues.

I'd like to note, I will not admonish someone for their position in an argument. I will use this as an example, I largely disagreed with Greenman on the police issue, but that is not something I will ever punish. And there are ways to disagree with someone without resorting to petty or personal attacks.

The bottomline is we will not insult anyone else on this forum. Period. If you have an issue take it to me via PM immediately. If after warnings the person dishing out insults cannot stop, I will have to resort to bans which I am not in favor of. I will try and step in from now on before it gets to this point though.

Again I take the blame for letting the Ferguson discussion get out of hand. I have been slacking and I will be more vigilant from now on. I apologize to the whole forum for dropping the ball. Also I believe my biggest mistake was not sorting this all out via PM or direct discussions with the people involved. I am making this statement on the forum because as spiddy pointed out I started it on the forum and shouldn't finish it via PMs. From now on I will simply put a halt to issues on the forum with a post which I hope members will respect and listen to. And then I handle issues from there via PM.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:36 pm

I'm okay with this. I was out of line with my responses, but if Spiddy can't say anything without talking down to me, I'm just not going to reply to him. You guys shouldn't have to suffer for that.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:26 pm

volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content