The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

What have you been reading?

+11
Motinator
CountryRubes
Captain N
AlexC-25
Krubixcube
BretBaber
volvocrusher
TheMatt
avidacridjam
b.b.hagen
TripOpt55
15 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

What have you been reading? - Page 6 Empty Re: What have you been reading?

Post by volvocrusher Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:44 pm

I loved Ultimate Spiderman, probably my favorite comic series.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:25 pm

Finished Amazing Spiderman #1 (the new one, not the original one). Might be one of the best comic issues I've ever read. Just so much fun, both when he fought crime and seeing him deal with all the shit Doc Ock changed in his life.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:38 pm

It seems digital comic...things might make me FINALLY start reading some comics I've been meaning to check out.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Mon May 26, 2014 4:28 am

Reading The Trial. Say Kafka is for stuck up literature profs all you want, this is fantastic stuff. It's interesting no matter which angle I look at it from. Helps that I love just how bizarre it is at times. Would've loved to read the original text but that'd be a slog and I don't think I'd get as much out of it given my current german skills
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:59 pm

Ever since I got a Kindle Fire, I've been on a HUGE comic book kick, so here's what I've been reading

Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-Man: I swore I was done with Ultimate Spider-Man when Peter Parker died, but then they had to stick him on a new teenage Avengers team with Kitty Pride (who played a huge role in Peter's USM) and Jessica Drew (a female clone of Peter, so basically like having him back) so I had to catch up. And you know what? It's great. I like how they take a very different approach to his uncle influencing his crime fighting and there's actually a fallout from Peter's death. People will say it's in bad taste, Captain America feels a ton of guilt from Peter's death and lashes out on Miles, really good stuff. And Miles himself is a fun character with a fun best friend.

Superior Spider-Man: If you didn't know, until last month Spider-Man comics were about Doc Ock controlling Peter's life swearing to be a better Spider-Man than he was. And it's a cool seeing him as more of an anti-hero and how he interprets "Great power/great responsibility" differently. If the idea itself sounds interesting, then I'd recommend it.

Amazing Spider-Man Masterworks: Basically the classic Spider-Man comics covering his very first years. Hold up surprisingly well. They start out just being a villain of the week without much in Peter's life, but as time goes on they start to do a much better job at his "Can't catch a break" life outside the suit. I still prefer Ultimate's take on the character, but if you love the Raimi movies these are a must.

Astonishing X-Men: Only checked out the first volume so far and plan to read the rest this weekend on my trip, but Joss Whedon really knows the X-Men. The dialog's witty, the plot's smartly written, and it has a pretty big focus on my three favorite X-Men (Beast, Emma Frost, and Shadowcat), offering one of the better interpretations on them. Excited to see where it goes from here.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:02 pm

Here's some more comics I read/finished

Astonishing X-Men- Best take on the X-Men I've seen. New was close, but the ways they were characterized was fantastic, even if the plot and villains weren't quite as strong as New's. Stuff like Wolverine being mind controlled then snapped back when a beer fell on his lap are what made me really love it.

Ultimate Spider-Man- Caught up with Miles Morales as him and holy fucking shit does the quality skyrocket once Venom shows up. These guys aren't content with having a new Peter Parker, he has his own motivation, traumatic events, and ideals that are pretty different from Peter, yet still fit as Spider-Man. And frankly, despite a few stupid ideas (mutants created in an attempt to recreate Captain America....seriously?), the Ultimate Universe gets more and more interesting each issue.

New Ultimates- Only two issues are out so far, but it's pretty good. Only recommend reading it if you are caught up with all USM since the team's Miles, Spider-Woman (female clone of Peter Parker....REALLY long story), Shadowcat (who played a huge role in USM, for a while she actually wasn't an X-Men, was only a part of USM), Boomshot (former Spidey villain), and Cloak/Dagger (introduced in Miles Morales' series). It's kind of like going into Avengers only less accessible without knowing the continuity. And I've always wanted to see a comic where Spider-Woman gets characterized more, and having her live with Kitty makes it even better.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:53 am

I started up Water Sleeps. I got it and the final Black Company book in the mail recently. Also totally forgot I joined Goodreads... haha.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:39 am

I love Astonishing X-Men, and not just because of Joss Whedon, I grew up watching that awesome cartoon. I knew it would be a fantastic read when they had to fight the Danger Room. Good from first issue to last.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by volvocrusher Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:55 pm

New Spiderman and All New Ultimates came out today. Spidey was decent, but I'm more excited for what it's building up. Ultimates was fantastic. I've wanted Ultimate Spider-Woman to have a series where she can really get some depth to her character for years and they are not disappointing there.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:58 pm

Finished Water Sleeps and moved onto Soldiers Live. Then I am all out of Black Company books!
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:07 pm

pspiddy wrote:I have a subscription to Rolling Stone. Whenever a new issue comes in I set it aside until Friday so I can read through it in entirety. The magazine is hit or miss every issue and pretty obvious in what they are advertising. Don't get me started on the reviews. I hate reviews as-is and they always have the most infuriating. I started my subscription because Matt Taibbi is an incredible journalist. Now that he isn't there anymore I don't think I want to resubscribe. Serious dip in quality. (example: An article about Melissa McCarthy spent a lot of time talking about the hotel she was staying at and the food they ate; WTF?)

I subscribed to Rolling Stone (and Entertainment Weekly) for a few years near the end of high school and almost to the completion of college. Like you, I think its hit-and-miss and I'm beginning to believe that the quality dripped after the 90s ended and it started to resemble a Teen Beat magazine what with all the coverage RS gave to boy bands and Spears/Aguillera. I don't even remember the last time I bought an issue.

I know you didn't want reviews brought up but Peter Travers is the fucking worst. THE FUCKING WORST.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:35 pm

I wish I was in on what some of the good magazines were since I do feel there is a quality in (some) printed publications that is still a step above a lot of the schlock online.

As for my book updates: I recently read Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (this book is BEGGING to be made into a movie or animation...or animation movie) and The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut. I'm a big Vonnegut fan so it didn't disappoint.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:22 am

I love when I read a review and have no idea what they are talking about. Happens a lot with Spin, they just write a bunch of nonsense that has a bunch of word with no point at all. Sometimes I swear people are writing and just start switching words with a thesaurus.

The only publication I've ever trusted with reviews was the old Official Playstation Magazine. Great writers and great reviews. Even when I didn't trust them and got the game despite their less than positive reviews (Vagrant Story, Ehgreiz off the top of my head) I was left unsatisfied, with their reviews echoing true. So looking back their reviews were the only ones that I felt were true.

And pspiddy, I think they originally gave Nevermind a 3 out of 5, but later changed the review. I'm not bringing this up as a Nirvana fan, I'm bringing this up as an example of how they can't be trusted.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:10 pm

Anyone here read Forever War? Interesting book.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:20 am

I finished Soldiers Live which is likely the end of the Black Company series. I thought the ending was very fitting and wrapped things up well. I loved how the series saw characters change roles and allowed the reader to see them from different perspectives throughout. Great battle descriptions too at times. Cool sorcery. I will certainly miss these. Hoping to find another multi-book fantasy series to dive into next.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:55 pm

Ending up buying The Blade Itself today. Hope its good. I recall Twolf read this one.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:21 am

I was about to ask if you'd read that series actually...so yeah. I liked it, but I'm not as seasoned of a fantasy reader as you are so I'll be interested to see what you think.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:25 pm

I'm enjoying it so far. Action scenes are especially impressive. I will make sure to post some more impressions once I finish, but I ended up ordering the other two books today.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:17 pm

Checked out some of Marvel's Noir comics, which is basically taking superheroes and fitting them into a 1920's detective story, complete with the look and feel. Spider-Man had a pretty great one. Tweaked it so Norman Osborne runs a gang and except the Vulture (who was some weird cannibal guy), it made a smart choice on which villains to use and fit in there.

X-Men Noir on the other hand was just awful. No one had superpowers in it, which I could role with if it was done well, but it really wasn't. The plot's instead about how Xavier (who's in prison) claimed that sociopaths were the next stage of human evolution and trained a bunch of them to be better criminals who are now known as the X-Men while Magneto's up to some plan as head of the detective agency. It's just a terrible idea. Then there's way too many characters with too few of them doing anything that has a point to the story. And while it had a neat twist at the end, it was just boring and hard to follow for the most part.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:34 pm

I have yet to read a book made after Watchmen that's half as smart as that comic. So we're good talking about our comics here Spid
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:26 am

I finished The Blade Itself and really liked it. I will probably write a review for the blog. It had some surprising character beats towards the end and the second to last chapter was thrilling as hell which is:

Spoiler:
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:06 am

I've been reading Joss Whedon's graphic novel called Fray. It takes the world of Buffy and puts it into the future. It's really fantastic, and this is my third time reading it. Makes me wonder why he never pursued making a film out of it. You don't have to be a Buffy fan to enjoy it, the only way it really relates is vampires/slayers and the mythology behind it all. Third time reading it, and still just as good as the first time.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:17 am

I finished A Shadow of All Night Falling which was alright. I started up Before They Are Hanged which so far, I don't like how the POVs are divided up compared to the first book. Not too far yet so that might change.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:53 am

The second book was definitely the weakest for me in that series, but that said; as a standalone book it was weak but in the series as a whole it was good.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:44 pm

I finished Before They Are Hanged. I liked it though my above issues still stand. I was also not wholly satisfied with how one of the arcs ended. My guess is there will be something revealed in the third book that makes it work better in hindsight (which might mesh with how you say the book works better as part of the whole than on its own).

I have started the third book, so I shall see soon I guess. Definitely having a good time with the series so far. Curious to see how it all wraps up.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:31 pm

I really like how the series wrapped up, but I have a feeling it's a polarizing type of end. I wont say more than that.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:13 am

I just finished Last Argument of Kings. I thought it was great. I think I need to think on the ending some more. I definitely wasn't happy with how everything turned out, but I kind of feel like it was a very appropriate ending for this trilogy. I am also impressed with how much got done in the final book. I was curious how basically two wars would be fought that would likely include major characters that were super far away during Book 2. They handle doing this and leave time for like 50 pages to do some sort of denouement. I plan to try and write a review for the series at some point.

Edit: Have you read any of the standalone books Twolf? I think I will get Best Served Cold next time I order a batch of books.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum