Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» The Games You Played in November 2017
by BretBaber Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:19 am

» Now Playing
by TripOpt55 Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:10 pm

» Wanna Play Some Old School PS1 Role Playing Games?
by Krubixcube Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:17 pm

» Gaming Chat Thread
by Krubixcube Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:46 pm

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

What have you been reading?

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What have you been reading?

Post by Krubixcube on Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:25 pm

I agree with Before They Are Hanged. It did a lot to undermine fantasy tropes but at the end of the day by doing so...nothing really happened. It's like MGS2 - yes, I appreciate what it's doing on the meta level and think it's cool but as an experience it still kind of suffered.

Glad you liked it, but you went way farther than I did. I only read the main series!

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:46 pm

I finished The Man in the High Castle today. I really just don't know how I feel about it. I liked the world and some of the ideas explored, but some of the storylines were just boring and it didn't feel like it properly ended for me. I am not even sure what I wanted from the ending, but I don't think I got it. I need to ponder this one some more, but that is my first thought.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:58 pm

I say this not as a defense but just as a fact: get used to disappointing endings with Phillip K. Dick.

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:46 am

You warned me about that before. I should have been ready, but I was not.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:26 am

That said, when he screws up his endings he tends to do so in the last...5-10 pages, but the rest of the book is worth reading and like all good science fiction, pondering over.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Mon May 11, 2015 4:45 am

Checked out the Age of Ultron comic. Great read, was basically Terminator meets Avengers, though had some interersting twists along the way to keep it fresh. Mostly focuses on Wolverine, Invisible Woman, Iron Man, and Ant Man, but most of the big name Marvel guys have their moment.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:33 am

Some comics I finished:

Who is the Black Panther?- Amazing read. The culture of Wakanda, the premise behind the Black Panther's powers, and the conflict that arose from this were amazing. Black Panther just got pushed up neck to neck with Shazam for my most wanted superhero movie. A-

Edge of the Spider-Verse- I thought this would be a cheap crossover meant to squeeze every cent out of fanboys like me, but it was actually a great read. They used this bizarre premise for some great character development and all the different Spideys played off each other well. Worth it alone just for when Miles Morales leads a team to the 1960's cartoon universe. A-

Civil War- I hope Marvel uses very little from the comic. Great idea of government controlling superheroes, bad execution. Pro-registration side is considered the heroes, but does some really fucked up things. Hell, they even recruit villains. And asks you to make so many leaps of logic, just avoid. D

Age of Ultron- Has very little to do with the movie. Try picturing Back to the Future 2 meets Terminator starring Wolverine and you have an idea of what it's like. A lot of Sue Storm too. But a really good comic. Funny in the right spots, pretty good story. Just feel like it closes some plot threads too soon before you really get to enjoy them. Still, worth looking into. B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:23 am

Man...I am about 3 books behind on my reading goal this year but I still have hope!

I finally read Dune after 3 attempts...it was OK. Amazing world building of course but the main character is the most boring character in there. I always get a bit annoyed at books or movies where the main character's flaw is that he's just TOO good. Paul Attreides #humblebrag

Started on The Cosmic Computer because it was free then going to read a Japanese crime novel as research for Tokyo Dark and hopefully get ahead on my books for the year.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:52 pm

I quit reading for a while for who knows what reason, but jumped back in. I am continuing with American Gods. I also saw a cheap copy of The Last Wish which I guess is like a collection of Witcher short stories. I only read one which was about Geralt taking on a contract. It could easily be transferred into one of the games and maybe it was for all I know.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:08 am

Reading MORE Philip K Dick (been doing a LOT of true crime reading to research for Tokyo Dark), this time it's Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said and I'm really liking it so far...

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:26 am

I finished The Last Wish which was pretty good. It certainly gave me a better perspective on some of the characters in the game. I also had the good timing of reading The Last Wish story before playing the mission of the same name which references that story. I got the first of the novel series or whatever too, but didn't read much of it yet.

Still working on American Gods and have to say some of these little in between sections really bring my progress to a halt.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:17 pm

Finally finished American Gods. I really liked it. A friend of mine is working on the TV show which kind of motivated me to get back into the book. Not sure what I will jump into next. Hoping to read about a book a month this year which I realize isn't much compared to most readers (like Twolf!) but would be good for me.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:46 am

I've been slow the last few years! I had a wicked train commute on my side, in all fairness.

Glad you liked American Gods, it was probably my favorite book by Gaiman that I've read.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:52 pm

Been checking out the new Ms Marvel series and if it weren't for Miles Morales I'd say this is the best new superhero I've seen since The Tick. She's a huge nerd but written so it's funny and not groan worthy, has a great commentary on our generation  (though it can be preachy at times), her sidekick is a giant teleporting bulldog, and best of all: she constantly uses the word embiggens (Simpsons reference) since she has size changing powers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator on Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:13 pm

I always planned on going and reading some of the Ultimates from the beginning. But honestly, that's too much work and money all at once. So I'm giving comics my first real try with Miles! I was kind of surprised at how crazy the very first battle is—looking forward to more.
Motinator
Has a Bad Case of Headcrabs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:17 pm

I'd recommend checking out the Ultimate run Miles had. His fight against Venom is one of the best Spider-Man comics I've read, and I am not a Venom fan in any way.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator on Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:57 pm

hmm might do that, thanks. There's 28 of them?

I'm having a lot of fun trying to understand all of the different universes by reading wikipedia articles.
Motinator
Has a Bad Case of Headcrabs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:01 am

There might be 28 of them, maybe more. After Cataclysm (the USM issues of which you can skip by the way) they rebooted him as Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-Man and he had a new arc against the Green Goblin.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:36 pm

I FINALLY finished Homicide. Fantastic read. Long, but really engaging all the way through.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:44 pm

I finished Mockingjay. Casey and Bret, you guys were right. This was a let down. The more I think about it, the less I like it. More than anything, I was really bored for most of the book. Oh well, glad I finished it. Ready to move onto something else.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:54 pm

One minor thing I really didn't like was how the first two built up the Katniss and Gale relationship, making them feel right for each other. The third book they're constantly bickering and their relationship does a 180. It was such sloppy writing. I got the feel the writer had no idea where she was going towards the end.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt on Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:18 pm

I've been reading The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I just finished the third book today and have the fourth one downloaded on my iPad and will start it tonight. I'm really enjoying it so far.

My family has been doing a reading challenge where you have to read 40 books in a year that covers all different genres and requirements... some of them are 'read a book that's written the year you were born', 'read the first book you see in a bookstore', or 'read a book written by a celebrity'. So far I've just been doing the Dark Tower, which have slotted into their own individual categories, which has been nice... but I'll be asking for recommendations from you guys once I get done with those!

Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:56 pm

Where's Waldo is a fantastic novel that I highly recommend! Sounds like a fun adventure you're about to embark on with your family. Not sure if you like Nirvana, but as far as biographies go the book Heavier Than Heaven is a really great read if you like the band. A quick easy read that is in the classics is Love Story, so if you have a woman genre that cover that!

I'm re-reading season 10 of Buffy and Angel again before the very last issue comes out on August 24th. I know comics aren't typically tough reads, but damn when it's all said and done that'll be 55 comics that I read! Gonna pick that new Harry Potter book up tomorrow, and I have Tuesday and Wednesday off so I hope to get through a good portion of it. Also for my birthday I got that Miss something's Home For Peculiar Children. I can't recall her name or the exact book title. I basically got it because a friend recommended it. So after I read all of the stuff above I'm going to move onto that.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:19 pm

Currently reading the new Harry Potter book. I'm about halfway through it. I know some are turned off because it's a play and it is written as a play, but I've read a lot of script books before so it reads perfectly fine to me. Good so far, but Harry's a bit of a dick in it.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:14 pm

Read Cursed Child also. Thought it was good if you like the series. Looking at it objectively though, it was really weird. Felt like they just threw in new ideas that didn't fit too well because they needed them to, even if they led to interesting things.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:58 pm

Under the Skin was a movie I REALLY wanted to like because of the concept, so I'm giving the book a try and really enjoying it. Very creepy but an easy, fast read as well. Good stuff.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:00 pm

Also found out a book is coming out this month that serves as a prologue to Mass Effect Andromeda, but doesn't have a specific release date. I want to know when I can read it already!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam on Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:16 pm

I'm reading 2010. As a movie especially I never felt like 2001 needed any follow-up, but it's covered some interesting ground so far in its own right.

I've been starting to get more into reading again. Mainly classic sci-fi and horror stuff. Anybody have any books or authors to start with?

ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:39 pm

For sci fi, Philip K. Dick and Asimov are always good bets. They both have stinkers, but their good stuff is a golden standard.

Horror is a trickier genre. I enjoyed House of Leaves, but a lot of people felt it was gimmicky.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:59 pm

Hadn't been reading much, but I restarted the second Dunk and Egg novella last night. Never got too far before deciding to switch to another book before.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top