The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Now Playing

+15
Krubixcube
SanAndreasX
TheMatt
avidacridjam
Rainjar
Bannen
Motinator
KillaAssassin11
chocobot
ajapam
BretBaber
TripOpt55
pspiddy
volvocrusher
Miraculous Kaydybug
19 posters

Page 15 of 34 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 24 ... 34  Next

Go down

Now Playing - Page 15 Empty Re: Now Playing

Post by Krubixcube Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:45 am

Limbo was a great game as an experience but it pales as a platformer. The Raymans I would still argue as being the best platformers in the last decade (I haven't played the Super Mario Galaxies mind you) but god damn are they satisfying to play.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:51 pm

The first half of Limbo was pretty great, then second half with the mechanical area and straight up puzzles was so boring to me. Watching the character being cut up by saws and all is pretty amusing by it's not nearly as good was being stabbed by a giant spider.
Rainjar
Rainjar
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by lenny.b Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:30 pm

I finished Dishonored! Huzzah!!! I think I'm going to start up FarCry 3 soon. I still need to go back and finish Ni no Kuni, though. :\
lenny.b
lenny.b
Asks for the "Guile" at the Barbershop

http://lbenologa.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:11 am

Playing Super Mario 3D World on my new all black 3DS XL. Woo! Pretty fun. I want to download Link's Awakening too once I get the chance.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:32 am

As much fun as I had with Mario Galaxy, I found the controls being the part that made the platforming challenging. Galaxy with a regular controller would be one of the greatest things ever.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by volvocrusher Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:03 am

It will be. The DS ones all were. Of course you can just go here and we can settle this sooner. With randoms too because I can have an all Grass team while you have an all Fire one, if I get to pick my Pokemon and moves, I will kick your ass

http://pokemonshowdown.com/

@Bret- I would love that too. Frankly, I love Galaxy the way it is fine, but I get why the motion stuff bothered you as a leftie. I just want it in HD personally.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:27 am

Being a leftie with that system was a challenge. The normal thing for me to do is control people with my left thumb, but pointing with my left was so much easier than my right hand. So I was left controlling people with my right hand, and it just felt so damn weird. It would have been nice for Nintendo to let you use the classic controller more often or a Gamecube controller. I loved the game, but my love was held back because of motion controls.

If I had more free time in life and didn't already love the games that I had, I would definitely buy a WiiU and a 3DS. I grew up on Nintendo and I'd love to play Pokemon games as well.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:34 am

Playing Foul Play right now for a review. Awesome, awesome game. 2D beat em up with DMC style combos and every stage is set up where you're in a play and getting high combos without getting hit gets the audience excited, which gives you a higher score. It's a really fun way to explain the mechanics behind it. Trip I think would especially like this game, I'll let you guys know if it hits PSN.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by lenny.b Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:25 am

Holy sh't-ballz... I cracked open Bioshock Infinite today and started on the hard difficulty and am thinking it's a lot tougher than I initially expected. Then, not too long ago, I also cracked open FarCry 3 and HOLY SH'T do I LOOOOOOOOVE IT!!! The intro alone was captivating and the fact that I can go around and explore an entire island, I'm stoked like you wouldn't believe! I've seen screen shots of crazy ass bears, tigers and shark attacks so I'm not really looking forward to being surprised by those encounters, but I'm already enjoying this game. Granted, playing this on "Warrior" killed me more than a few ties already... Perhaps I need to lower the difficulty. :p
lenny.b
lenny.b
Asks for the "Guile" at the Barbershop

http://lbenologa.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:23 pm

Finished two games.

GTAV - No spoilahs.
Honestly, I feel the game is pretty average. The characters are entertaining but the story does nothing with them so I never felt any real investment or emotional attachment.

The two main innovative elements, the character switching and the heist planning, are completely wasted. The character switching is mostly used in missions to get you from one set piece of "Shoot these 20 dudes" to another, and using it outside of the missions just seems kinda pointless + your characters change their fucking clothes all the goddamn time when you switch back. The heist planning is used literally like 3-4 times, boils down to "LOUD OR QUIET", and the hiring side of it doesn't mean anything because there's not enough to make you worry loads about the outcome.

I don't really like the map much either. I feel it needed another city in the top left section that's just as big, if not bigger, than the main one, with the 'wow it's fucking nothing' sections being 1/3rd of the map instead of the mass majority (WOW MOUNTAINS DON'T GIVE A FUUUCK). There's quite a lot of detail put into the city though, and it does feel more alive then ever before.

There's a few tweaks I really dislike and don't stand the point of either. I swear you can take less damage in V than you could in IV, so no more risky shit. Also you can't jump from a massive height into water anymore without a parachute and survive (I even died USING the fucking parachute once yaaay thanks so fun Rockstar), cars explode from heights easier and falling from a big height on a motorbike will kill you.

The game is covered in loads of fluff but has no substance in the slightest. I'm hoping the free online add-on makes the purchase worth while. Oh, and I don't like any of the radio stations either.

Metal Gear Solid 1
The story is fucking ludicrous to the point I was laughing towards the end of it. There's only so many "Wut a tweeeeeests" you can pull before it just becomes a joke. All those glorious 4th wallbreaking moments were fantastic to see in action and a couple of the boss fights were neat (Especially Sniper Wolf's) although a couple were terrible (MGRex/Liquid). Towars the end the level design just seemed silly though, it relied more on cameras than it did actual enemies and the cameras were always in really bullshitty places that you couldn't fucking see because your radar was cut.

Also my complaints about the cutscenes and the dialogue are still spot on. While bits of the dialogue were fucking amazing, so much of it could be cut and nothing would be lost. I don't need to know that if I fall off an edge I'll fall, Kojima.

NEXT UP, MGS2. Excited.
Rainjar
Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:46 pm

Did anyone else use the Nikita missile trick in the 2nd Sniper Wolf fight the first time? When I played it I thought that was the way man...>_>
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:04 am

Never thought to do that. Maybe next time I'll give the nikita a go.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:12 am

Yeah, there's a little spot kind of in the middle of the map on the right and left side that you can fire a missile from without being hit. You just have to memorize where the ammo is and whatsit.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:24 am

Today I was in the shop and I was all like "there's too many flavors of drinks to choose from man!!" It was rough, like a third world country or something, bro...
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:33 am

My problem is always picking what fast food I want the most.

MGS is one of those games that I could also play every year. Does anyone know if it transfers to your Vita if you download it on your PS3 and copy it from the system to the Vita?
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:09 pm

Well I'm enjoying Mario 3D Land. I don't much care for the perspective which is mostly isometric, otherwise a fun game. I downloaded Link's Awakening too, but haven't gotten a chance to play it yet.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:41 pm

Changed my schedule so I'm back on the forums again. Avoiding Twitter and facebook like the plague, though

I agree with you somewhat on GTAV, Rainjar. I totally disagree that character switching is useless outside of missions, though. Sometimes I'm just screwing around and I end up in the middle of nowhere without a vehicle, so I can just switch to another character and keep the fun going.

A second city would've been great, especially since cities are what Rockstar does best. I like the wilderness but it shouldn't take up the majority of the map.

The lack of health is BY FAR my biggest problem with the game. The game provides you with a bunch of tools to have fun, and then punishes you for using them. I'm sure there's an invincibility cheat but that takes the fun out of the rest of the game.

Overall it's still easily my favorite of the series. The characters are all a million times better than in IV and the controls are tolerable, though still a little clunky. It'll be in my top 5 at the end of the year, but it could've been better.
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:15 pm

Ballad of Gay Tony #1.

Was crazy fun.

TLOU still running for that GOTY title.
Rainjar
Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:01 am

I beat Amnesia: The Dark Descent... It actually wasn't as scary as I was led to believe. Once you figure out the game mechanics the sense of danger when facing normal enemies sort of disappears. The scariest part for me was less than halfway through the game (though that particular moment topped anything in any other recent horror game I've played)

Last edited by ajapam on Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:04 am; edited 1 time in total
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:03 am

Last of Us is still my GOTY too. Unless you count DLC then I'm not sure whether its that or Mass Effect 3 Citadel.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:40 am

volvocrusher wrote:Unless you count DLC then I'm not sure whether its that or Mass Effect 3 Citadel.
You're a funny man, you.

ajapam wrote:I beat Amnesia: The Dark Descent... It actually wasn't as scary as I was led to believe. Once you figure out the game mechanics the sense of danger when facing normal enemies sort of disappears. The scariest part for me was less than halfway through the game (though that particular moment topped anything in any other recent horror game I've played)
Aye, it's really quite structured with how it tries to scare you which takes a fair bit away from it. Personally I still found it terrifying the whole way through but I can understand why some wouldn't. With thechineseroom involved in making the second I'm not sure I want to play it, if they go down the same route as Dear Ester the extremely pretentious dialogue will piss me off too much to enjoy the actual game.

Edit - FINALLY UNINSTALLED DOTA, JUST BEFORE HITTING 300 HOURS.

I AM A FREE MAN ONCE MORE.
Rainjar
Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:34 pm

Dude, don't be a douche about that. That DLC gave everything I could want as a huge ME fan. Have you even played it?
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:59 pm

As much as a masochist as I may be, I am not enough of one to subject myself to modern Bioware games after ME2. They've dumb downed and held back story telling in video games for at least a generation combined with mediocre gameplay.

But if activating sing along mode with your waifu was the best part of gaming this year then good for you.
Rainjar
Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:17 pm

Wow...stay classy man. Frankly, I've dealt with so many ME haters that I'm not even going to bother with that thing against it. You don't like it, cool, but there's a lot of gamers who replay those games like crazy, not "dudebros" as you call Bioshock Infinite lovers and I'm sure you consider ME lovers, but real gamers who love games. You don't like the storytelling, gameplay, or RPG elements? Cool. But I do and think there's a lot more to them than people give them credit for because they only take it at face value and don't look deeper into the mechanics or context within the universe.

Also I'll feel better knowing that you still have no idea what you're talking about when you say "Sing along mode with your waifu" which honestly just shows you're not even fucking addressing it, you're just picking the most condescending, smart aleck insult you could throw at it. I don't talk down to you because you like Journey even though it's just a glorified interactive screensaver, I just said my stance on the game and let people like Bret who loved it continue to love it. I get that Citadel only caters to the hardest of hardcore Mass Effect fans, but I'm one of them and it gave me a perfect pseudo-epilogue to the series that was a better satire of ME than any ME satire I'll ever play.

Frankly though, I really don't want to get into a thing here. But Rainjar, you really need to stop being so condescending. You've done it to Kay, you've done it to Bret, and now you're doing it to me. Get off your fucking high horse and realize we're all just gamers here who just want to talk about the hobby or leave for somewhere else full of people who love to smell their own farts.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:09 pm

volvo, today at work I thought about you as I put out a new Pokemon 3DS. They were blue and red and had some Pokemon on them. It wasn't Psyduck though, and he's the Pokemon that owns my heart.

I beat Killzone Mercenaries while at work today. Really great shooter for a handheld. I wish there was a way to play Resistance and Call of Duty without buying them so I could compare it to those shooters, but I can't fathom how those games could even come close to Killzone. My only complaint with the game is when I play Warzone, and I get paired with a bunch of idiots that don't go for objectives and I'm squaring off against Chuck Norris, Arnold Schawzanegger (however you spell his name), Sylvester Stallone, and Sarah Michelle Gellar with wooden stakes. Needless to say, it's an ass kicking.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 34 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 24 ... 34  Next