The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Now Playing

+5
avidacridjam
SanAndreasX
KillaAssassin11
TheMatt
ajapam
9 posters

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Now Playing Empty Now Playing

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:13 pm

BretBaber wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again, I need to get back to that.  

I hope you at least return for co-op. I can play competitive with randoms, but not co-op. Could use another buddy for that. I think only one friend of mine still plays this online though maybe some others will return for co-op.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Now Playing Empty Re: Now Playing

Post by volvocrusher Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:32 pm

I was thinking of picking up UC4 again at its inevitable $20 Black Friday sale. Wouldn't mind trying co-op now that my PS4 decided to have decent online again.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:40 pm

I'm finally going to beat Alien Isolation this month (got distracted before going to Colorado for a week). The game is frustrating because it straddles fucking GENIUS lighting and sound and scenario design with STUPID procedurally generated scary moments that become frustrating as you can't complete objectives.

That said...making the Alien unscripted was a smart move because its unpredictability makes it terrifying. It's not like Uncharted where that exciting moment loses its excitement because it happens the same way every time. Horror games have to be a bit unpredictable I think.

Anyway...gonna beat it. Dammit.

I have ALSO heard wonderful things about Titanfall. Might ask for it for Christmas but not much in the budget for brand new games right now @_@
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:52 am

The main problem with Alien Isolation is that it's REALLY DAMN LONG and at it's best when it's pretty tough so yeah, it gets to that point where it gets frustrating and you just want it to let you finish. That seemed to be a huge complaint in some reviews. Still one of my favorite games of 2014(?) though. It really delivered on the promise of the hide-and-seek horror games that have popped up recently
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:18 pm

I played Cold Darkness Awakened for TR yesterday. Outside of a bit of a clusterfuck ending, I liked the mode. I may play it again and explore a bit more. The little tower If So puzzles were neat. And it was just fun to traverse and explore the area. I'd probably rank the TR DLC modes like this:

1. Blood Ties
2. Endurance Mode
3. Cold Darkness Awakened
4. Baba Yaga
5. Lara's Nightmare
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:26 pm

Been playing Titanfall 2. Campaign was a ton of fun. One of the best FPS campaigns I've played... It's pretty short though. Only played a few multiplayer matches, but so far so good. Looking forward to spending more time with it.
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:37 pm

I finished up Blood and Wine. It was quite good and the fairy tale-inspired quest was one of the most memorable from the whole game. I thought I had screwed up really bad with the route I went at one point, but after reading about the other endings, I'm not really bothered with what I got. It definitely wasn't the good ending though. Overall I enjoyed the first expansion more for the quests and story though getting the new area in this one was sweet. There is a lot of other content that I never got around to, but I think that will do it for me and The Witcher for now. Have a lot more games I should be getting to. It was an awesome experience though.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:00 pm

Now that I have The Witcher squared away, I'm giving Mass Effect another try. I am about back to where I was before. Hopefully I make it through this time. Everyone seems to think I will enjoy 2 more. The combat is kind of clunky in 1. I wish they had better hair options in the create-a-character, but that is just a nitpick. Wanted a beard since I have one at the moment, but went with a shadow instead.

I have Watch Dogs 2 and Titanfall 2 coming in too, so I should be busy this next month or so.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:42 pm

Mass Effect 1's character creator is ass. Even worse for females believe it or not. The later games get more lax on the beard thing if I remember right. Also can't emphasize this enough, save all the time.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:44 pm

Pokemon Sun and Moon is really great so far. I love the new setup in these games. Rather than wandering until you find a town with a gym or the next Team X, you're moving around the island completing trials the whole way. It never feels like you're moving from point A to point B, you're always doing something. Also no HMs.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:45 am

Titanfall 2 has been really fun so far. I like seeing all the various loadouts for the titan. A lot of neat abilities. The titan is funny too. When on foot, the movement abilities make for a good time as well. Some solid platforming for a shooter.

I haven't played too much of Watch Dogs 2 yet. It feels really different than 1. In some ways good, others bad. Really don't feel the core controls are as sharp. That was one of the best things about the first game.

Mass Effect is growing on me. There are a bunch of little things that annoy me. Like not letting me save between a pair two conversations/an elevator ride and the following fight, so I have to watch that stuff again if I die. I hate shit like that. Still I'm enjoying it more. Played about five hours so far I think, but am further than I was my first time I tried playing it.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:08 am

TripOpt55 wrote:Mass Effect is growing on me.
Now Playing Community-2-hype
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:14 pm

Right now I'm currently working on chipping away at the Uncharted 4 platinum. In the process of doing the speed run, and I'm not excited to be doing it. I hate racing through games, and this one is definitely not one I want to race through. I think I'll get it, but if I got to the end and I was over 6 hours and I'd have to do it again, I'd cuss so loudly my cats would probably scamper away in fear.

Bought Ape Escape 2 since it was on sale, been wanting to play a platformer and the PS2 was my favorite system for those. Really liked Ape Escape 1 when it first released on PS1 so I'm hoping the fun I had with that one can also be had with this. Beat three levels so far, seems pretty fun.

Bought Psychonauts as well for $3, never played it. Never really had an interest in it, but I bought it because of my love of Costume Quest. Hopefully the same kind of magic is there.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:21 pm

Played the beta for Steep. Maybe it's unfair to judge games based on betas, but it's a worst game of the year candidate for me. It's nothing but fluff. Big open world, 4 kinds of gameplay (basically 3,) but the core mechanics are just dull. Since it's open world there's not really much in terms of interesting runs to do. Races are basically just about pushing forward and going in a straight line while avoiding rocks and trees. Also maybe I just suck, but tricks seem really finicky. I couldn't even get my character to spin 75% of the time. I'm not saying the game has to have wild SSX-style tricks, but they should at least feel rewarding and intuitive. Like in Skate, for example

Wingsuit is the most fun but there's no real reason to take big risks in events because you have to start the whole event over if you crash. Basically just stay slightly closer to the ground than the other guy and you'll win. Try doing something fun with it and you'll probably lose.

The parachute is bizarre. It's like a leisurely float through a bunch of checkpoints, but it's also a race and you can do the wackiest tricks in the entire game. Seriously you can just flail around in the air. Again, not much point to it because it'll probably just throw you off track.

I wish I could say it just made me want to go skiing instead, but it actually made that look boring. It seems like the people making these games recently think they need a whole bunch of extra stuff to make them worth the asking price, but the games are suffering for it
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:51 am

That is a bummer about Steep. We could use some good action/extreme sports games these days.

I finished the Titanfall 2 campaign and I loved it. The movement abilities make on-foot stuff super fun. There are great weapons and inventive grenade types. There is honest-to goodness actual quality platforming in an FPS outside of combat. The titans are the perfect way to add a different playtype, but stay true to exactly what the game is and I loved discovering what each new titan loadout would bring. All this along with some really cool scenarios make for a campaign with great variety. And there is one mechanic they add for one chapter about halfway through that is just so damn cool. And I enjoyed the relationship between you and your titan. He was very funny. Even with all the praise it had been receiving, this really exceeded my expectations.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:59 am

That's always been my worry about Open World: they don't think about the game experience. Skyrim worked because its core mechanic is exploration and discovery so it works to have a huge world and it's super satisfying to stumble into stuff.

In a game that's theoretically challenge based...I'd rather just have preset courses so that the difficulty can be ramped and the game designers can flex their muscles instead of trying desperately to "make my own fun".

Last edited by Krubixcube on Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by KillaAssassin11 Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:35 pm

Been playing a ton of Madden 17 lately. Just bought superhot and hitman for the PC but probably won't have much time to play them with ffxv coming next week.
KillaAssassin11
KillaAssassin11
Asks for the "Guile" at the Barbershop

http://www.unknownconnection.com

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:33 am

Beat the Titanfall 2 campaign. A lot of fun, will definitely replay that in the future, highly recommend it. Multiplayer is pretty great too though I'm sure I'll drop it eventually for Overwatch. Also been playing Battlefield 1 which has been excellent. Seriously 2016 has been the best year for first person shooters in a long time if not ever.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:20 am

It seems a lot of devs realized that fun and gameplay should be the focus over "realism" and "cinematic moments" and it's great!
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:13 am

I just dove into FFXV. I wasn't planning on getting it, but then I starting thinking about the fact that I've been wanting to play it to various degrees for the better part of a decade so I took the plunge. I'm only three hours in and I'm trying to figure out when I'm going to have the time to play it, but it'll definitely be my game I'll be working on going into 2017.
TheMatt
TheMatt

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:03 am

Played through Lara Croft Go on PS4 including some new content it had. Pretty sweet. Working through The Last Guardian now. I really enjoy it a lot despite some occasional frustrations. Still playing Uncharted 4 multiplayer which had a big update. They have a new Survival mode which is their version of Horde and you can actually play it solo this time along with co-op. Pretty cool.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:47 am

I have the next two days off and I'm hoping to complete Final Fantasy XV so I can make way for The Last Guardian on Christmas day, as well as World of Final Fantasy. Loving the game so far, even with a weaker story.

Also been playing Zelda - Link's Awakening. Just beat the 4th dungeon last night. Sometimes I find it hard to believe that people beat these games without walkthroughs, because some of the shit that you have to do to advance the story is bonkers and just seems like side quest material. Example if anyone can remember, trading items to about 5 different characters to get the one item you need to advance. Despite those almost clueless moments, I'm enjoying the game.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:39 am

I started up Shantae: Risky's Revenge. I really like it so far. Surprisingly funny game. My mom got me a $50 PSN card for Christmas, so I'm going to be grabbing some more games from the sale. I had really not kept up with digital releases much this year, so I hope to rectify that a bit before year's end.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:50 pm

Finished Shantae today. It reminded me a lot of Castlevania (both types). A bit like a sidescrolling Zelda too at times. The artstyle and animations were cool too. It's old-school roots were part of its charm, but also made it slightly obtuse sometimes. I was left wondering around at times, but I really didn't mind. I hear Pirate's Curse is the best one and I am excited to start that before long.

Started playing Severed which is a really neat game. The swipe-based combat and way I have to hold the Vita makes it a bit tiring to play beyond short spurts, but I still dig the game.

Super Mario Run is pretty fun. I am slowly working on that, getting the pink coins along the way. Will come back for the others later. I like the depth of the level design and how you really see it through the different coin paths. Airships are a plus.

Next up is Oxenfree which I picked up too. Then I think I'll go for the other Shantae game.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:49 am

Did you beat The Last Guardian? Istarted that up, and I enjoy it, but I'm not very far in the game. Hard to get used to the controls in these games. I remember having a bitch of a time with SotC as well.

When you play Severed and you're into a real bad ass fight, does your touch screen get real hot when you play? Not sure if it was my Vita getting warm from all of the swiping or if it was the screen protector, but something definitely felt hot. Loved that game. Once you start unlocking things it gets easier. It's neat and frustrating how just random enemies can kick your ass in that game.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:46 pm

I did beat The Last Guardian. I really liked it. I got more used to the controls, but between the bad camera, questionable control scheme and Team Ico's typical odd animation prioritization I don't think I ever thought the controls were good. I think it really had some impressive setpieces and little puzzles as it went on. And I really loved the bond between the boy and Trico plus the overall story. I guess that made up for the controls as far as my overall enjoyment went.

I haven't had that issue with Severed and the screen heating up. I don't have a screen protector though, so maybe that is a factor. I've definitely run into some tough fights and you have to sort of learn which enemies to prioritize first in them to get through. There is definitely some strategy to it.

Today I bought Inside, Unravel and Virginia in the new sale for the week. I really got some great deals in this PSN holiday sale. Waiting on some of these this year really paid off. A lot of games to play now though! Not sure when I will get to all of these.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:17 am

The controls definitely aren't great, but what bothers me the most is the camera angles. There's times when I'm on Trico and he takes up the whole screen because he's down a tight corridor, and I literally have no idea what's happening. Jumping off of him is a pain too. X is supposed to let go, but it never really seems to. There's also been parts where I just have no idea what I'm supposed to do, and jumping to what should be my death seems like the only option. Not sure if you remember, but it's the part where you have to open the gate for Trico, and you're walking on beams. I couldn't see any way down, so I literally fell a height that should have broken his legs, and he stumbled around for a bit, but eventually he was fine. I'm enjoying it a lot, but it definitely has its problems.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:06 am

Beat Link's Awakening.  Thoroughly enjoyed the game, only had a few gripes.  I hated when I'd run into an item that required a certain item to get past, and I'd have to read that damn dialogue telling me "I can't pick that up, but something might be able to" over and over again.  The game is very vague on what your'e supposed to do, and at times if it wasn't for an online guide I probably would have given up.  Like seriously, how was I supposed to know the  trade sequences that seemed optional were mandatory, and I'd have to trade like 4 or 5 items to be able to advance?  Another vague complaint is the 8th dungeon when I'm supposed to move this pillar and actually move it around with the directional keys to unlock the keys in those rooms, explain to me that I actually have to move the keys and don't just assume I will.  Your vague owl hint did nothing to tell me I would need to move those things around myself. Another example is the 7th dungeon where I have to pick up some big ball that just looks like a switch and go around tossing it at pillars. I really don't know how people just figured that shit out.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:58 pm

I have been ridiculously busy during the holidays and have had zero time for gaming by myself. I'm still trying to get through Final Fantasy XV, which I'm loving, but can't find them time to sit down and play it for an extended period of time.

One thing I have played fairly consistently during holiday gatherings with family and friends is Jackbox Party Pack 3. This years entry is a very strong one. I would say four out of the five games in the pack are outrageously fun. Whenever we play it with a new group of people its always a hit. Anyone else playing this?
TheMatt
TheMatt

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:20 am

I started up Battlefield 1's campaign. I respect what they are doing with the story, but I'm just not enjoying playing it. I have never enjoyed any of the BF campaigns before, so I'm not exactly shocked, but I'm hoping I might like this one. I am only in the first camapign, so I plan to chip away when I can. Maybe one of the others will go better.

I am pretty far along in Shantae and the Pirate's Curse and I love it. Even more than Risky's Revenge. So happy I discovered this series.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next