The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Now Playing

+19
pspiddy
Krubixcube
BretBaber
Keith_Games
Toomanywires
ajapam
AlexC-25
SanAndreasX
Motinator
Captain N
Methane_Max
KillaAssassin11
Miraculous Kaydybug
b.b.hagen
TripOpt55
Bannen
avidacridjam
volvocrusher
TheMatt
23 posters

Page 32 of 34 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

Go down

Now Playing - Page 32 Empty Re: Now Playing

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:43 am

Earthbound is my favorite SNES game (so angry at myself for selling it to gamestop for $20, i could have sold it today for perhaps enough to buy a Wii U and the digital copy of it grrrrr) but to be fair i never really played many SNES games tbh maybe 10.

Started Time and Eternity, and its honestly better than i expected. I'd reccomend it to anyone who likes goofy anime stories and/or dating sims. Combats alright too but really easy most battles you can get by without taking any damage, and even then it lets you spam the fuck out of consumables.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug
Sees Tetris Blocks EVERYWHERE

http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/stabs

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:45 am

I'm playing Earthbound. Just beat the giant ant boss. Awesome game so far, characters are funny enough I want to talk to every NPC in the game.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by SanAndreasX Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:15 am

@greenman: I'm really digging Earthbound. I hear there's some seriously fucked up shit in the endgame. I hope Nintendo will consider a US release of Mother 3 in the future. Too bad they never completed the Nintendo 64 version of Mother 3, though.

@Kay: Most RPG fans I know seem to like Time and Eternity despite the hammering it's taking in the last dying remnants of the gaming press. Makes me feel a little more confident about giving it a shot. Maybe it's no Ni no Kuni or Tales of Xillia, but I've seen far worse games out there.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:12 am

Downloaded Assassin's Creed II for free from XBL and they had the DLC on sale so I bought those. Kinda happy to see this game again and also to find that there's plenty more to do.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:50 am

Beat my ...however many-th playthrough of Final Fantasy IX but I haven't played it in years! Still love it but some elements of the story (especially the last act from Terra onwards) really doesn't seem well thought out or well paced at all. And bits of the gameplay with tweaks could be amazing but feel underbaked.

Also, and it's something I didn't notice as a kid, I forgot how much of FF's battle systems aren't about fighting groups of enemies/being strategic and more about wailing against one enemy with loads of HP. Didn't remember it being like that...
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:42 pm

SanAndreasX wrote:
@Kay: Most RPG fans I know seem to like Time and Eternity despite the hammering it's taking in the last dying remnants of the gaming press. Makes me feel a little more confident about giving it a shot. Maybe it's no Ni no Kuni or Tales of Xillia, but I've seen far worse games out there.

It's no masterpiece but honestly I don't understand why the reviews are so bad. There's nothing gamebreaking or unplayable about it. It's been pretty decent so far. Also no one mentions how well it does the visual novel thing. There are no static images or talking heads. Every cutscene, conversation, etc they all use the in game models and backgrounds. This is something id like to see more of.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:24 pm

Krubixcube wrote:Beat my ...however many-th playthrough of Final Fantasy IX but I haven't played it in years! Still love it but some elements of the story (especially the last act from Terra onwards) really doesn't seem well thought out or well paced at all. And bits of the gameplay with tweaks could be amazing but feel underbaked.

Also, and it's something I didn't notice as a kid, I forgot how much of FF's battle systems aren't about fighting groups of enemies/being strategic and more about wailing against one enemy with loads of HP. Didn't remember it being like that...

I actually try to get the weak shit heads out of the way first. When it comes to Final Fantasy IX and the combat, there is one thing that bothers me, it is really slow paced. Compared to Final Fantasy VII, it feels like it moves in slow motion. Animations take forever, and it seems like some characters wait for a bout 20 seconds to do their turn after inputing what you want them to do. Just felt really slow. I still love the game though.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:25 am

YEAH, I thought that too!!! I was so surprised on how slow the combat felt.

I've also started to REALLY appreciate systems where "lesser" actions like items or weak spells happen quicker in the turn order. Because it annoys me when I have a character who needs to use an either and it takes forever.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:43 am

I just spent like 2 fucking hours trying to complete an objective for Jin's Hypothetical ending in DW8. Turns out the objective was translated wrong and the way its worded in the English version is literally impossible. Well no wonder why i couldnt do it thanks you fucking horrible lazy localization team for wasting two hours of my time, thanks a lot.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:49 am

BretBaber wrote:
Krubixcube wrote:Beat my ...however many-th playthrough of Final Fantasy IX but I haven't played it in years! Still love it but some elements of the story (especially the last act from Terra onwards) really doesn't seem well thought out or well paced at all. And bits of the gameplay with tweaks could be amazing but feel underbaked.

I actually try to get the weak shit heads out of the way first.  When it comes to Final Fantasy IX and the combat, there is one thing that bothers me, it is really slow paced.  Compared to Final Fantasy VII, it feels like it moves in slow motion.  Animations take forever, and it seems like some characters wait for a bout 20 seconds to do their turn after inputing what you want them to do.  Just felt really slow.  I still love the game though.  

I heard a lot of the reason for this was because the game was really pushing the PS1 beyond what it was designed to do, but I'm not too sure about that. I think FFVIII was a more graphically intensive game and its battles ran much faster than FFIX.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:56 am

I always thought Chrono Cross had better graphics than any of the PS1 FFs
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:33 am

SanAndreasX wrote:
BretBaber wrote:

I actually try to get the weak shit heads out of the way first.  When it comes to Final Fantasy IX and the combat, there is one thing that bothers me, it is really slow paced.  Compared to Final Fantasy VII, it feels like it moves in slow motion.  Animations take forever, and it seems like some characters wait for a bout 20 seconds to do their turn after inputing what you want them to do.  Just felt really slow.  I still love the game though.  

I heard a lot of the reason for this was because the game was really pushing the PS1 beyond what it was designed to do, but I'm not too sure about that. I think FFVIII was a more graphically intensive game and its battles ran much faster than FFIX.

The battles ran faster, until you had to spend 10 minutes drawing magic from every enemy you encountered.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:56 am

I'm playing FFVIII next so...drawing...it's really interesting to see hwo these hold up. FFIX, happily, is still one of my favorite games despite it not aging perfectly, though it was number 2, now I'd say maybe 4 or 5. In other words, still a great game, still a favorite but enough flaws I can't in good conscience say it's my number 2. Everything is different.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:51 pm

BretBaber wrote:
SanAndreasX wrote:
BretBaber wrote:

The battles ran faster, until you had to spend 10 minutes drawing magic from every enemy you encountered.

I meant technically, not in terms of grinding. In FFVIII, you'd enter a command and your character would execute it instantly as soon as their turn rolled around. It felt nowhere near as stiff and unresponsive as FFIX did. I still prefer FFIX as a game, however.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by chocobot Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:54 pm

I think I'm a little obsessed with SMT4. I had a dream about fusing demons and picking skills. I'm not sure how I'll be able to concentrate at work tonight when all I can think about is playing more SMT D:
chocobot
chocobot
Will Eat Lizard Tails to Improve Stamina

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:03 pm

Try thinking about me instead Razz
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:06 pm

Timber, you should discuss your play through on the neat thread "Wanna Play Old PS1 RPG Games". You could probably get some people to join you as well. Good luck on replaying that, I had fond memories of it until I played it 2 years ago.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:10 pm

I will =). When you all get through your playthroughs of FFIX we should set up a skype chat or something.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:13 am

I'm playing Earthbound on Wii U and its just the greatest.

I also picked up MLB 13 The Show on the cheap and it's a pretty neat version of the game. The new pulse pitching is simplified, but adds a lot of strategy that seems more realistic to an actual pitcher's skill. The meter was too easy to nail right on a button. I've been doing a lot of Home Run Derby to get some of the ballpark specific trophies, which is a lot of fun. I even won an online HR Derby which blew my mind. I was Ryan Braun, hours before he was suspended! haha
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:23 am

You were juicing to win that trophy.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:47 am

Beat Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. I liked it, but it's a very mixed bag. Really hated the combat. More frustrating than fun, throws way too many waves of enemies at you, and can't count how many times I had to repeat that fight in the elevator at the end because Farah kept getting killed by enemies or one time even shot me to death when I just used the dagger to finish off and couldn't rewind.

Platforming was really good though. I prefer Tomb Raider's openness with how you're figuring how to get up somewhere, but the timing based platforming is much better here. Anywhere full of traps was just awesome, if the game was nothing but that it would have been a 10.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:42 am

Yeah the combat in that game is god awful...
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:21 am

I remember feeling the combat was repetitive, but other than that enjoyable. It's been like 6 or 7 years since beating it though so I could be wrong.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:54 pm

I played it recently enough, it holds up. The combat is a chore though, and feels even worse because the platforming has aged extremely well.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:19 pm

Now I just use the wall dive and mega-freeze once you get it and it makes combat a lot easier/quicker. It still isn't good, but becomes a minor part of the game. It is already a minor part of the game to be honest. There is like a 20% stretch of the game where you don't fight anything but a few random bats and birds.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by KillaAssassin11 Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:23 am

Kind of went nuts on the Steam sale so I bought a new PC in order to be able to play PC games again. Right now im going to be mostly playing Rogue Legacy. That is if I can stand getting killed over and over again. Very difficult game but I think I am getting slightly better at it. Also want to get back into Trackmania 2. Fun game.
KillaAssassin11
KillaAssassin11
Asks for the "Guile" at the Barbershop

http://www.unknownconnection.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chocobot Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:41 am

I really hate that Earthbound came out on Wii U when it did. I was looking forward to playing it for the first time but there's no way I can tear myself away from SMT4 now Sad
chocobot
chocobot
Will Eat Lizard Tails to Improve Stamina

Back to top Go down

Post by KillaAssassin11 Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:44 am

chocobot wrote:I really hate that Earthbound came out on Wii U when it did. I was looking forward to playing it for the first time but there's no way I can tear myself away from SMT4 now Sad

I hate that Earthbound came out on Wii U because I dont have one yet.

Last edited by KillaAssassin11 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
KillaAssassin11
KillaAssassin11
Asks for the "Guile" at the Barbershop

http://www.unknownconnection.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:57 am

I somewhat enjoy the combat in Prince of Persia. Just for how cool it looks. There are actually some really neat animations for doing the dagger finisher, they're just hard to do because you have to target a creature that's behind you and like 3 metres away.
Motinator
Motinator
Has a Bad Case of Headcrabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 34 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33, 34  Next