The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Movies You've Watched Recently

+7
ajapam
chocobot
volvocrusher
TheMatt
Krubixcube
pspiddy
avidacridjam
11 posters

Page 11 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next

Go down

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 11 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by ajapam Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:06 am

Watched Phoenix, a neat hitchcockian sort of drama out of Germany. Really have to suspend your disbelief but in a vacuum, it's a great little movie. Unfortunately it exists in a world where Isreal is a terrible country, so the implied pro-Isreal sentiment threatens to ruin the whole thing.
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 11 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by Krubixcube Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:10 am

I saw Spectre. It was terrible. I wasn't expecting much and thought i might even like it but...nope.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:32 am

Caught Spectre tonight and... eh. I can't agree that it was terrible but it was a big disappointment. The girl didn't make much sense as a character, it was too long, Christoph Waltz played the same guy as in Inglorious Bastards with worse writing. He worked well as a Bond villain but the inspiration is so painfully obvious, even more than Silva/Joker was.

I felt like Skyfall took some of the Bond cliches and gave them a clever twist to create something that felt like Bond but also entirely new. This felt more like a generic action movie (complete with faux-illuminati story. thanks, videogames) with a whole bunch of self-aware* Bond cliches. Might please the people who didn't like Skyfall but I'd say it's the 2nd worst Craig Bond in front of Quantum of Solace.

New M and Moneypenny are still good, though. And Q is better this time around. So that's good. The next Bond should be shot with a small budget, double-down on the surreal villain stuff and just be wild, creative, and fun. But good things don't happen when I'm not a studio exec.

*Except apparently it takes itself seriously when it comes to women having sex with him for no reason?
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:16 pm

I'll be seeing Spectre this Sunday with my brother. I've only waited this long since previous attempts to see it with him fell through. I'm still looking forward to it despite the mixed reviews. Then again, I loved Jupiter Ascending so it feels like I like almost anything. Wink

Rented The Man From U.N.C.L.E. earlier this week and watched it twice. I feel so stupid for missing it during its theatrical run (which was brief since it flopped domestically) because it is such a fucking blast. The plot is nothing spectacular enough but it is solid enough for the foundation of the true appeal: the 60s-era production design (the film even looks like it was shot in that decade), the delightful rapport between the three main leads (Armie Hammer's best work so far; Henry Cavill could make a great Bond; Alicia Vikander is gorgeous and holds her own against everyone else), and Guy Ritchie's visual stylings (I think he gets better with each film). Well worth a rental.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:29 am

I finally watched Mad Max: Fury Road and it was insane. I loved it. Wow that was fucking cool.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:27 pm

That makes me happy, Trip Smile
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:13 pm

Watched Goodnight Mommy. The big plot twist is fairly obvious (especially if you're familiar with horror movies) but the movie takes it in an unexpected direction that's genuinely disturbing, and it answered every question I had effortlessly. Probably the best horror movie of the year if not the past few years, though I'd hesitate to call it horror.
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:09 pm

Going to Star Wars this afternoon...super stoked.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:00 pm

How was Star Wars? I may go see it this coming week.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:02 pm

I don't spoil things, so worry not people. I thought it was really great, kept me entertained from beginning to end. There was only one gripe I had with the movie, and I'll explain that once everyone goes and sees it.

I thought they did a great job with the casting of the 2 new characters, they both interact so well together. There's a chance I'll watch it again at some point.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:14 am

I thought it was awesome. There were elements that weren't perfect but...whatever, it's Star Wars! It's exactly what I wanted from a Star Wars film. AND it made me excited that there's more because I liked all the new characters so that's a big plus.

I definitely want to see it again.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:39 am

All I'm saying on it is I loved it but it felt like it was focusing too much on calling back to the original and setting up sequels. But what worked works really well.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:02 pm

I would agree with that statement. But I think knowing it's such a big "set up" film will allow me to appreciate it for what it is more the second time around.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:46 pm

Yeah, it didn't bug me that much because the movie focused so much on the characters and that's what it nailed. I'm really excited to see more adventures with them.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:37 am

I saw it Saturday afternoon and loved it.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:38 am

I think I'm the only one that watches Girls, but when Kylo Ren took off his mask and Adam Driver was there, it was all I could see. His mannerisms were just like his character from Girls, which seemed odd to me based off of some of the things that character does on the show.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:27 pm

You think that's weird? How about the time Ren and Poe Dameron made a song with Justin Timberlake?

Now you don't know what the hell to do.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:46 am

Yeah, I thought of that movie too!!!!
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:59 am

Saw it tonight. Loved the protagonists but the villains all sort of felt like jokes. Lots of forced references but some were really funny. I'd give it a 6/10 as is, maybe 7. Not a great movie but it was entertaining and I got some good laughs. I think the sequel could be a lot better when they get away from all of the throwbacks a bit.

Best part of Star Wars 7:

This has nothing to do with the movie itself but when the credits started, the theater instantly cranked the volume way down and turned up the lights. That really annoyed me. It's like "movie's over, get out"
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:58 pm

Saw Slow West and I liked it. It was a bit weak in what it was trying to convey but watchable and some really striking images (that last shoot out...so purdy). I'd recommend it to any Western fans in the group.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:11 am

Was looking through what was OnDemand and decided to give Guardians of the Galaxy a shot. I think it was on Starz. I thought it was really funny. Now I may try to go back and watch the rest of these Marvel movies. I kind of figured if I just searched cable/OnDemand I'd be able to watch Iron Man for free somewhere, but no dice at the moment. I set a couple of the other ones to record. Will just leave them on the DVR until I get around to them.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:53 pm

Going to see the Hateful Eight 70mm show tomorrow. I'm pretty excited Smile
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:03 am

I'm going on Tuesday! I got $5 tickets! It will be glorious!
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:52 am

$5?! How?!

And it was pretty great. I'd go so far to say as one of the best films Tarantino has made to date.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:11 am

That's an impressive thing to say, seeing as that man made...time to rank them!

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Reservoir Dogs
3. Kill Bill Vol. 2
4. Kill Bill Vol. 1
5. Deathproof (I really enjoy it, especially Stuntman Mike)
6. Inglorious Basterds
7. Jackie Brown

Haven't watched Django yet, which is a huge disappointment to myself. I do own it on blu-ray, I'm going to watch it in before I go and see Hateful 8 though. I own Inglorious Basterds, but only watched it in theater. I remember being extremely disappointed with how little Brad Pitt and his crew were in the movie, since the trailers made it look as if the film revolved around them, which it barely did. Going to watch that one again as well before seeing the new one.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:24 am

Just finished watching Inglorious Basterds again. I've only owned it on blu-ray since it came out so probably about time. The second viewing I liked a lot more, but like I said above I'm still disappointed the Basterds weren't in it more. I'll have to dwell on it to see if I think it moves above Deathproof, because I'm just not sure. It's definitely not moving above the top 4 though. Pondering calling in to work tomorrow because I'm sick, and if I do I'll finally watch Django tomorrow.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:57 am

I love Inglorious Bastards for what it is. The Bastards acts are definitely the better parts, but Acts 1 and 3 are still top notch, offering some of the best suspense I've seen in a movie.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:12 am

I like the whole movie, it just isn't no where near the best Tarantino movie in my opinion. I mean come on, he didn't really have an ass reference in it!

Just think of how much cooler the movie would have been if we would have seen more of the Bear Jew. There's a really cool special feature in it where you can watch everything they shot for Nation's Pride. 6 minutes of retro fun!
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:59 am

Ranking time! I'm sad you ranked Jackie Brown so low...

1. Django
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Inglorious Basterds
4. Hateful Eight
5. Kill Bill Vol. 1
6. Kill Bill Vol. 2
7. Reservoir Dogs

That was hard to rank because I like all of those movies.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:03 am

I'd go 

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Inglorious Bastards
3. Django
4. Reservoir Dogs
5. Kill Bills

Haven't seen Jackie Brown. Excited to see Hateful Eight though. I still say what we got from Bastards was near perfect, just a little too much misdirection in the advertising. The suspense of Act 1 is so phenomenal and the way everything intersects is fantastic. Plus the best ending of any WWII movie ever
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next