The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Movies You've Watched Recently

+7
ajapam
chocobot
volvocrusher
TheMatt
Krubixcube
pspiddy
avidacridjam
11 posters

Page 12 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next

Go down

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 12 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by avidacridjam Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:54 am

1. Inglourious Basterds
2. Jackie Brown
3. Kill Bill 1 & 2
4. Pulp Fiction
5. Django Unchained
6. Reservoir Dogs
7. Death Proof

Aside from that horrendous segment of Four Rooms, Tarantino has never made a bad film. I just pretend that segment never happened.

Also, his script for True Romance is excellent.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 12 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by BretBaber Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:03 pm

Krub, you're disappointed in me putting Jackie Brown so low but the movie was so bad you didn't even want to put it on the list with the others!? It has its moments, but there's just too many boring segments in it. The dialogue just isn't enjoyable most of the time, and I just hate that kind of music that dominated the soundtrack, and soundtracks make Tarantino movies awesome.

That was exactly my probably volvo, all of the commercials made it seem like a slapstick World War II action/comedy, and when I sat down in the theater to watch it it was anything but. I still love it, and it's still better than 99.9% of the movies that exist, but for me it doesn't beat most of his other work.

I'm surprised Reservoir Dogs is so low. I understand Death Proof, but can't wrap my head around Reservoir Dogs being so low. Maybe they've done it, but I'd love to see Reservoir Dogs as a play, because the movie practically is.

Also, you guys are throwing Kill Bill movies together, how do you rank them?

I agree, True Romance script is fantastic. I really love From Dusk Till Dawn as well. Anyone ever spot Tarantino as Elvis on Golden Girls? Growing up I've always been a big fan of Golden Girls, and I was watching an episode where there was a bunch of Elvis impersonators, and I noticed one of them was Tarantino before he made it big. When that season of Golden Girls came out on DVD, it even mentioned Tarantino as a Golden Girl on the box like it was some big selling feature, which I thought was comical. If you guys look for it on youtube or anything, he's the one that's really moving a lot more exaggerated from what I remember.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:47 pm

Whoops! But when I went to correct it I don't even know where to put it. I honestly like most all of them. I haven't seen Deathproof which I hear is the lemon of his career, but since I haven't they're all pretty good. Not like the Coen Brothers and Ladykillers which is a clear negative standout.

I think Reservoir Dogs is great...I just don't know where to put it. I DON'T KNOWWWWWWW!
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:08 pm

Death Proof is a really great movie, and I personally thought it was the better out of the two movies. Stuntman Mike is awesome, and I typically hate anything car related, but the chase scene at the end is really cool and that very last scene with that last song is just A+. Think about it, it might be his lemon, but his lemons are sweeter than most others sugar cubes.

I haven't seen all of the Coen brother movies, but I think they're extremely hit or miss. I love Fargo and No Country For Old Men, but everything else that I have watched is just a big fat meh. Oh, unlike others I did enjoy True Grit.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:50 pm

Please tell me you haven't seen Big Lebowski. Then go see Big Lebowski
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:58 am

I watched it and I did not like it. I think at some point I'll watch it again to give it another try, but the first time I watched it was I was thoroughly underwhelmed.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:20 pm

It's overhyped for sure, but I would say a solid movie.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:45 pm

The characters are just dumb, and not in a funny way like Dumb and Dumber. Those Coen brothers are extremely hit and miss for me.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:56 pm

1: Inglourious Basterds (the theatre scene is Tarantino's best imo)
2: Reservoir Dogs
3: Pulp Fiction
4: Django Unchained
5: Jackie Brown

Haven't seen Death Proof or Kill Bill yet. As for the Coen brothers, I think their comedy is hit and miss but I've enjoyed all of the more serious movies I've seen from them. I like Lebowski, though. I also think the Fargo show is better than the movie
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:21 pm

I'm gonna show you two what happens when you FIND A STRANGER IN THE ALPS!!!
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:43 pm

Pulp Fiction has the greatest movie quote of all movie quotes...

"Check out the big brains on Bret! You a smart motha fucka, ain't ya?!"

Jules knows all.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:49 pm

Well he does question if the guy can speak English three minutes later so I think he was just humoring him
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:23 pm

I shut the movie off there, so I have no idea what you mean. Ending it there, it's the perfect movie ending.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:05 pm

Nope, this is the perfect movie ending Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 12 Django-unchained-peace-love-and-nappiness
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:14 am

I watched Django last night, but it still wouldn't work it's way into my top 4 Tarantino movies. It would be right in the mix with Death Proof, Inglorious Basterds, and Django, with Jackie Brown still at the end. Those three I'm having a really hard time sorting, but the top 4 are for sure in place.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:30 am

BretBaber wrote:
Also, you guys are throwing Kill Bill movies together, how do you rank them?

I suppose it's a cheat to keep them together for a tie but that's how I roll. You don't have the complete story without both. As far as ranking them, I prefer Vol. 2 due to the script and how it provides career-best work out of David Carradine, Daryl Hannah and Michael Madsen (and of course, Uma). Vol. 1 places more focus on action and its one of the most relentlessly stylish and crazy films of its kind.

I still hold out hope that The Whole Bloody Affair cut will reach us on Blu-ray one day.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:19 pm

Krubixcube wrote:$5?! How?!

And it was pretty great. I'd go so far to say as one of the best films Tarantino has made to date.

The movie theater chain by me is Marcus Theaters. On Tuesdays all movies are $5. So I saw they were doing the 70MM show and got tickets. Hell of a deal. I also would say its one of his best. I might even put it at #2 behind Pulp Fiction. Pretty much loved every minute of it. Really want to see it again. Definitely the best movie I saw this year. Sorry Star Wars!
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:45 pm

Awesome. Glad you got such a good deal, man.

I too am one of the people who would group Kill Bill into one since both were made at the same time.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:49 am

But that's the thing: Tarantino did combine them into one. He titled it Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair and has screened it at the New Beverly Theater in CA many times (makes sense, since he owns the theater). It's said to be an amazing cut of the film.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:26 pm

Huh, I heard rumors of the cut but didn't realize it had been screened. Huh, does make you wonder why he never released it.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:58 am

Saw the Revenant and thought it was great, didn't think it was great that an ENTIRE FAMILY including their ELEMENTARY SCHOOL AGED KIDS decided to watch the show. Someone was getting up every few minutes..and just...I'm pretty liberal when it comes to media and kids but that was not an appropriate film for kids that young to see. Surprised the theater allowed it.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:00 am

Nothing will blow my mind more than when I went to see Ted at 11PM and saw some parents bring children who looked 6 or 7 in. Just wrong on so many levels
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:18 am

I saw some pretty young kids when I went to see Drive. But in defense of those parents, the trailers didn't exactly do that movie justice
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:57 am

I saw The Revenant today. Really liked it. Really great looking with the direction and cinematography. Some really intense survival moments. Some great fight scenes. I feel like perhaps the back half could have been paced better? I don't know maybe I'm just used to being able to pause it and take a break... haha. Don't go to the theater often, but I told myself I would try and go more often this year. I went in the afternoon, so there were only like maybe 8-10 people, so that was a plus for me.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:19 pm

When I went and watched Serenity, there was only like 4 of us. That was awesome. Also when I went and watched The Force Awakens, they would just fill theaters as needed, we were lucky enough to be in one that only had about 20 people. So I know how excited you must have been.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:27 pm

TFA with 20 people sounds great. Mainly because there's less people to cheer after every reference. I liked it way more the second time for that reason.

When I saw Whiplash there were only 2 people outside of our group. It was great. Got to make lots of old jazz band jokes. JK Simmons was basically the evil twin of our teacher in that movie.
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:42 am

Checked out the new Spongebob movie since it was free on Prime. Even though it showed off mostly the live action/CG mashup, most of it was a normal cartoon and that part was really good. Lots of great jokes and tons of inspiration from Mad Max of all things. 
The last third when they changed it was okay. It was super hammy but it also knew it was that way and had fun with it. Really was way better than it had any right to be. Still, the first two thirds made it worth a watch in my book. This gag especially cracked me up

volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:58 pm

I think the most positive theater experience I had was seeing Scott Pilgrim, actually. Full theater but everyone there was a nerd, and laughed and cheered at the right moments and, most importantly, knew when to shut up at the right moments too.

Few and far between but those elusive fun packed theaters do happen.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:35 pm

So I realized I never gave my thoughts on Hateful 8 so I think the best way to put it is it felt like I had a lot of amazing salsa and a little of amazing guacamole. And as amazing as that salsa is, I still want guacamole to be the one I get the most of if that makes sense.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:54 pm

Yes, actually that makes perfect sense. I'm not even joking, it seriously makes sense.

I wanted the whole movie to be like the first two hours, and it kind of turns into Tarantino bloodfest and while I still REALLY enjoyed it I still felt it could have been more...
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next