The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Gaming Chat Thread

+12
Motinator
TheMatt
Rainjar
A Roguish Ham
SanAndreasX
ajapam
BretBaber
Krubixcube
Miraculous Kaydybug
volvocrusher
pspiddy
TripOpt55
16 posters

Page 3 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18 ... 34  Next

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Gaming Chat Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gaming Chat Thread

Post by Krubixcube Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:37 am

Thanks, didn't get the 3DS one though ;_____;

Also, one thing I must say I'm already sick of is all of these "remastered" PS3 games for PS4. It's lazy as far as I'm concerned.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:21 am

I agree. They might just be doing that so that way there is something to play until new stuff comes out, but I agree there is definitely a lot.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:10 pm

I'd be bothered less by them if they were priced appropriately. $60 for a single "remastered" PS3 game is ridiculous.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:31 pm

pspiddy wrote:The industry will eventually implode. Look at what happened with music and movies. The good Sony has done with self publishing is only undone by the suits not giving a damn about the gaming culture itself in order to gain one cent in the black. There's absolutely nothing wrong with making a profit but, that being said, the people in charge have as much credibility in video games decisions as I do with theoretical physics.

On the other hand, I hope that the core game industry doesn't end up like the App Store: clogged with F2P crap and/or clones of Angry Birds, Flappy Bird, Fappy Bird, or whatever the latest sitting-on-the-toilet fad happens to be. The Last of Us: either wait 24 real-life hours for the zombie meat gate to clear away or pay $99.99 for a trunk of anti-meat-gate gems.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:40 pm

A little implosion would be good for the industry. More games based on merit than money. It's already imploded a couple of times before in the past and good things came from it so...bring it on...after MGSV and FFXV release >_> then you know, bring it.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:22 am

pspiddy wrote:I'm probably what's wrong with the industry from an industry standpoint. I rarely buy games at full price and I've never purchased DLC in any form. My Steam impulse buys are ridiculous, but that's as far as I go to "support" video games.

To elaborate on what San said, the Apple business model is what is wrong with not just gaming, but technology in general. I really see no difference between it and F2P. (I'm not singling out Apple, I'm saying the business model they've built has reached all other options to the point of absurdity)

I like that Valve is championing Linux, but I'm not sure that it will catch on in the immediate future. Long term, I see it as viable. And now I'm going all Pachter which I know Trip loves.

I'm an extremist when it comes to gaming. On the one hand, I have no problem with throwing down extra money for collectors' editions for games like Tales of Symphonia HD or Bravely Default. I was happy to pay $100 for the Wizards' Edition of Ni no Kuni until Digital River fucked it up. Then I scored a free hardbound strategy guide and almost felt guilty except that Namco sent it as a goodwill gesture because I lost out on the Wizard's Edition. I'll go out of my way to support stuff like this.

On the other hand, the expensive AAA games generally don't find their way onto my shelf until they're on clearance at $20, if ever. And I almost never invest in DLC. And for stuff that I know will be DLC heavy, I'll generally wait a year until they bring out a "Game of the Year Edition" which includes it. I loved Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but I'm going to have to think long and hard about buying Fallout 4 day one.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:46 am

The same is very true for me, I think in the last 5 years I've bought maybe...one game per year at full retail price. Not to say that the value isn't in all these games, and there's a LOT of people to pay blahblahblah. But the DLC model (and as you both mentioned, the practice of releasing that DLC with the game at a cheaper price later), the model of spending 7 years to develop a mediocre game with LOADS of technology so it's nice and shiny but still buggy, it grinds on you.

I mean, I think it's the problem with ANY business that starts making a lot of money. We've certainly seen very similar things with the blockbuster in film and the manufactured pop music in that industry. But I think we were all holding our breath hoping games wouldn't fall into that trap. And once again a lot of the blame is with the consumer.

Random, but slightly related note: know what I want to make a come back? The expansion pack. I mean, it's LIKE DLC but expansions were generally big releases, lots of content, lots of polish.

I don't even know what I'm saying anymore but yeah, it would be nice if there were a boot up the ass of the industry but as long as we (the collective "we" not...us in this forum) keep buying this stuff it's just going to keep coming ;____;
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:52 am

Part of me wonders if the industry realizes it's heading towards a crash and that's why they're making so many games hoping to make more than they ever could and cashing out on whatever IP still has merit until they milk it dry while they still can.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:53 am

Someone on twitter pointed this out and i cant stop laughing

Gaming Chat Thread - Page 3 Bk1oKYHIQAArvAk
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug
Sees Tetris Blocks EVERYWHERE

http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/stabs

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:45 pm

TripOpt55 wrote:I'd be bothered less by them if they were priced appropriately. $60 for a single "remastered" PS3 game is ridiculous.

Try $70 for the remaster when the original was $60. Now THAT'S ridiculous. I wish they'd have at least given us a break on prices for the remasters
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:52 pm

pspiddy wrote:This is typical of who is in charge of what games you play and how you play them:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/president/ceo_message.html

The dude looks like a beast at his new geisha app...

Fun fact: On the PS2, when Capcom was making games like RE4, Devil May Cry, Maximo, Viewtiful Joe, and Okami, and everyone loved them, they were bleeding money and teetering on the edge of bankruptcy for a couple of years. On the PS3/Xbox 360 when everyone bashes them and wishes death for re-release after re-release of SFIV, on-disc DLC, RE6, and gutting the Mega Man franchise, they're solidly profitable.

There's one of the the problems with the industry at least with regards to consumers.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:03 am

Yeah, I knew you weren't. I'm just sayin' though, that there's a reason Capcom is doing all this crap. I don't like it either, losing Mega Man Legends 3 and having the Breath of Fire VI cocktease turn out to be a F2P browser game really sucked for me personally. It just kind of sucks that three of my favorite Capcom games torpedoed their finances and the stuff they do now is apparently good business overall.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:59 pm

I'm saying this to play devil's advocate and because I'm genuinely curious to hear from those of you who are bigger Nintendo supporters ( /disclaimer), but when can we officially say that the Wii U is out of the game?

I mean, I do understand that the console has some pretty good looking things on it (one of which is a remake of a gamecube game), but got support dropped by others and as far as I know doesn't have a lot on its future...

Thoughts?
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:05 pm

It's got a Smash Bros and Mario Kart on the way, so no it's not safe to say. I don't think it will be dropped altogether by any means, but any chance of getting above Gamecube status is out of its reach.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:08 pm

Do you think, like Gamecube it'll have some wonderful first party stuff that never makes it out of Nintendo? That's a shame...if I had the disposable income I'd probably get one for those games but just can't justify it in my life right now.

Ironic since they were making a big push to get third party support back on it. I adore Nintendo for their handhelds lately, they've done VERY well with the DS, it's a nice little console line but haven't been impressed with their home console stuff for a long time (despite some great games within that line).
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:12 pm

That's exactly what I think it'll get. I think 3rd party wise, the best it can hope for is to be a haven for mid tier games. It's already kind of making a push with Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101, I think if the former finds success on it, Sega already seems to be focusing more on it and 3DS than PS4/Xbone. Capcom also seems to be in a scenario where Wii U makes more sense.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:58 am

The Gamecube honestly gets a far worse rap than it deserves. It had great games. It didn't have the breadth of the PS2, but it had far more on it for me to play than the Xbox did.

It was called a failure, while the Xbox was considered a success. Yet, the sales difference between the Gamecube and the Xbox was negligible, and the Gamecube was profitable while the Xbox was a net loss for Microsoft to the tune of billions of dollars.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:09 am

I think that comes from how Nintendo had experience with the console generation before while MS was a newcomer. Also people really were Halo crazy that gen.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:46 am

Okami was actually a PS2 exclusive (before they ported it to the Wii). The Gamecube did have a few exclusives from the same team like Viewtiful Joe and P.N.03 though. My favorite third-party exclusive on Gamecube was Tales of Symphonia. The Wii U is getting the Xenoblade follow-up, at least.

On another note, looks like I can now start going to PAX without having to drive 1500 miles. They're holding a PAX South in San Antonio next year.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:15 am

Once they release Super Smash, Mario Kart and another Zelda game the Wii U will be fine. Once people are done with those it'll sit on the shelf and just gather dust, just like the Gamecube and the Wii. I'll get one depending on how the new Zelda looks, it couldn't be any worse than Skyward Sword at least.
Rainjar
Rainjar
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18 ... 34  Next