The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Gaming Chat Thread

+4
TripOpt55
TheMatt
SanAndreasX
avidacridjam
8 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Gaming Chat Thread Empty Gaming Chat Thread

Post by Krubixcube Fri May 06, 2016 5:42 pm

Yes, I've had the same pair of Sennheisers since college and love them.

With headphones definitely pay a little more to get extra sound quality and more importantly comfort when you wear them for long times. It's best if you can find a place that has them locally just so you can put them on your head and see if they're comfy.

As for sound quality, at least at the time I was researching anything approaching or above $200 generally isn't worth it unless you have an amp to plug your headphone into. If you're just plugging it into your computer/TV directly you don't need super hi-fi audio no matter what people tell you.

Unfortunately, my research is also about 7 years old now so I'm not up on new headphones. It doesn't beat having a good set of speakers but I don't regret having headphones.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Gaming Chat Thread Empty Re: Gaming Chat Thread

Post by avidacridjam Fri May 06, 2016 9:09 pm

About 5 years ago I bought a pair of Turtle Beach Earforce X1 headphones that work primarily with my Xbox 360. It's wired so it has audio cables that go directly to the tv, so I can have audio for tv watching or the other consoles connected to it (but I can only chat when I'm on the 360). I'm in an apartment complex so if I want the volume up on whatever I'm playing or watching, I can turn down the tv volume and crank it up on the headphones and I'm golden. Especially at night.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Fri May 06, 2016 10:55 pm

I just plug in phone earbuds and away I go. Not only is the sound quality good, but you can use them as a cheap substitute for a mic for party chat or recording commentary on videos.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Sat May 07, 2016 4:46 pm

Sometimes if I'm up early or staying up late I'll just plug in my iPhone earbuds into my PS4 controller and those work fine. The mic works pretty decent too, except you can only hear the chat audio out of one ear which isn't great. I also bought some of those bluetooth Sony headphones for the PS3, which still works on the PS4. The sound quality is really nice and the chat works well but I just don't think they are that comfortable so I very rarely use them.
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun May 08, 2016 12:02 am

Thanks for the responses. I guess I could certainly use my earbuds in a pinch, but I was thinking of making a bigger investment. What is "paying a little extra" Twolf? I would definitely like to try them on. Not sure where around me would have that. I'm going to look into it some more.

On a side note, how has the commentary stuff on videos been going San? Do any of your current uploads have some commentary?
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun May 08, 2016 12:07 am

I'm not a huge fan of the earbuds, as they don't get the same audio quality as a big pair of headphones will (but if you're concerned about a significant other or roommate they will contain sound much more).

As for "paying a little extra" I'd say a good pair of headphones that will last for years (mine are going on 10 years old now) are in about the $150-$200 range. Not sure what your price point is though. My girlfriend got a pair for editing work and didn't want to shell out as much and while they sound OK, they aren't as comfortable to wear and lose a bit of the low range sound stuff (which means, she often steals mine if she needs to really listen to some footage haha).

Sennheiser's a pretty safe bet, but I've heard Sony and Pioneer are good too. With phones these days, I'd just try and find a store that has some pairs to plug into and get a HD trailer of a game up and see how it sounds. Play some music you like, a lot of audio stuff comes down to personal preference, after all.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun May 08, 2016 6:40 pm

I guess I was hoping for something more in the $100 range, but I am going to take a look and see what is out there. I've always wanted a nice pair of headphones. Having the additional use of them for gaming would help make the extra investment worthwhile.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Tue May 10, 2016 4:36 pm

I really like the Sony headset. The Uncharted edition is $75 on amazon right now. It is the only pair I have ever owned so my knowledge is limited, but for gaming they sound great. For music they sound good too, but I rarely ever use them. I really like the apple EarPods so I always use those. What’s really cool about the Sony headset is that there’s an app for the PS4 you can use where developers upload specific settings for their games, and it really makes the difference for those games. As you’d expect, all of the major Sony games get some love, like Uncharted, Ratchet, inFamous, etc... $75 I don’t think they can be beat. The only complaint I have is they lay flat on top of your head, and make your hair look like shit. You wear hats though, whereas when I wear them I look like a fucking penis.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu May 12, 2016 5:53 pm

You all should know that me, of all people, wouldn't normally say this but Persona 4 would be a really good game for trophy support.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu May 12, 2016 6:00 pm

We already have that, it's called Persona 4 Golden
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Thu May 12, 2016 6:28 pm

I know some people don't like Persona 4 Golden, because they made it too easy... but to me, Persona isn't about the combat difficulty. Its about the story, characters and setting. What I would really like to see is a PS4 or Vita port for Persona 3... maybe that would get me to finally play that game.
TheMatt
TheMatt

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu May 12, 2016 7:15 pm

The combat is clever but has ALWAYS been a chore. It's my ideal game for listening to podcasts/news stuff since the combat is so mindless.

I loved Persona 3, partially because I bought it with no idea what it was, just off recommendation and it was so unique. Not sure it would hold up since I remember Persona 4 improved on its mechanics so much.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Thu May 12, 2016 7:38 pm

I have started it probably 4 times and get to almost the same part every time before I fall off. I think the main thing is I don't like the characters as much. But I don't even have the full party yet, so I'm probably not giving it a fair chance. Some day I'll get to it. Hopefully.
TheMatt
TheMatt

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri May 13, 2016 12:21 pm

Persona 4 was much more...relate-able if I remember right. It's been so long since I played it, I can't really say if it holds up as well as P4 does.

Maybe I'll download FES (I only have vanilla P3) and give it another shot.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Fri May 13, 2016 2:59 pm

My main problem with P3 is just that it takes SO long to get going. People say that about P4 all the time, but after the initial 4 hours or so the game starts rolling along. P3 takes maybe 2 hours to introduce the basic plot, and then 10-15 to give you any reason to care

It also has Ken
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Sat May 14, 2016 9:52 am

And I bet you if I looked at my most recent save file it'd be in that 10-15 hour mark. Maybe I should give it another shot. It'd give me another excuse to bust out my Vita.
TheMatt
TheMatt

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun May 15, 2016 9:28 pm

Random question: How long can you guys play of a game in one sitting?
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sun May 15, 2016 9:36 pm

Depends on the game and what I'm doing that day. Like I played Uncharted 4 for about four hours straight because I wanted to finish it but I had nothing going on and ran 8 miles before so was physically exhausted. On a work day when I'm mentally tired also usually about an hour, maybe two if the game is really good. I also find myself playing more story driven games in longer sittings to get more out.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Mon May 16, 2016 7:48 pm

Lately, no more than two hours. Not by choice, just not enough free time!
TheMatt
TheMatt

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon May 16, 2016 8:00 pm

I used to be able to do all night sessions, and I still do occasionally but on average I'd say 2 hours tops and maybe 1 hour at a time.

Same as Matt, either too busy or I'm just old. Bloodborne was the last game I really had a few LONG sessions with. Persona 4, as I'm emulating it and muting it (the music gets annoying) I kind of pop between playing it for 10 minute bursts and then working.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Tue May 17, 2016 12:18 pm

On weekends, I manage 2-3 sessions that can range from 2 to 5 hours, depending on the game and my free time.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue May 17, 2016 1:56 pm

I usually only do 1-2 hours. 3-4 is really the max I can handle I guess. I hit four hours on that first night with Uncharted 4, wanted to keep playing but just couldn't. I just usually need some sort of break at least. (Also I was more inquiring on what your mind/attention span/etc. would allow you to play than actual free time if that makes sense).
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Tue May 17, 2016 2:15 pm

Lately I've been having long gaming sessions, but usually on average they are about an hour. RPG really will suck me in. I think I remember playing Ni no Kuni for hours and hours, beat that 60 hour game in 3 weeks, that's extremely rare for me.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Wed May 18, 2016 4:17 pm

Man E3 is pretty close. Since there have been so many big game releases the past couple months, I hadn't even really been thinking about it. Kind of a shame Nintendo won't be showing the NX (to us at least I guess). Even though I'm a little bitter, I'm curious what that will be. Would love to see a teaser for the next God of War or Sony Bend's game. More on Horizon. Hopefully that game ReCore makes an appearance. Just some thoughts off the top of my head.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed May 18, 2016 5:44 pm

I had a brief hope that working on a Square Enix Collective game was going to get me a free ticket to E3 but alas...

I have a sinking feeling Persona's anniversary is coming up and they're going to do an HD remaster release of 3's mobile version and 4's Golden version and I'm going to be sad that I decided to replay 4 now.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:03 pm

I adore that Steam is giving the remastered versions of games for free to people who already own them. I mean, they were offering discounts before which I always thought Sony should do, but to just flat up give you them is what makes me very Valve-loyal.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:36 pm

I see a lot of people always complaining on sites about this, and I just disagree. A discount maybe, but straight up free? You're getting something that a team of people worked on to make better, so why should it be given away as free. It's cool that they did, I just get real sick of the people that think they're entitled to it because they paid for it before. When Sony first announced the PS2 games on PS4, that's all I ever saw people crying about.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:09 pm

Maybe not free, but I think reselling PS3 remasters to people who put time into the game is a bit absurd. I agree, pay a $5 upgrade or something because work went into the remaster no doubt. But selling it again at full price?
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:10 pm

Maybe not free, but I think reselling PS3 remasters to people who put time into the game is a bit absurd. I agree, pay a $5 upgrade or something because work went into the remaster no doubt. But selling it again at full price?
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:10 pm

Look at that passion, so passionate I double posted with my passion!
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next