The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

The Games You Completed/Played in March 2014

+5
avidacridjam
volvocrusher
ajapam
Rainjar
TripOpt55
9 posters

Go down

The Games You Completed/Played in March 2014 Empty The Games You Completed/Played in March 2014

Post by TripOpt55 Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:16 am

So list the games you've completed or played significantly for the first time if you so choose in March and along with some thoughts and grade/rating of some kind if you'd like. Mini-reviews of sorts.

Last edited by TripOpt55 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

The Games You Completed/Played in March 2014 Empty Re: The Games You Completed/Played in March 2014

Post by Rainjar Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:31 pm

One Finger Death Punch
TotalBiscuit lied to me. He said the game was 'Fan-freaking-tastic!'. I didn't know it was possible to get this level of buyers remorse over a game that cost £3. Everything about this game is awful and insulting.

Kane and Lynch 2
4 hours of one really muddy corridor where stuff just happens in some story thing and you do nothing but unengaging TPS shooting. Unsurprisingly awful.

Saint's Row 3
I was always slightly annoyed when I saw this game because it seemed like it was trying way too hard to be funny. I'm happy to say I was completely wrong. When I went to Germany me and my mate managed to play it for 20 hours of the 5 days I was there. It was nonstop laughter and just brilliant moments, both scripted and unscripted. When I eventually upgrade this toaster or go back out there we'll finally finish it, for the Saints.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
While it lacks some charm the previous games had due to the new direction its taken this still a very very good game. I've got a ton of time out of this game from doing side missions and replaying the main one in different ways about 3-4 times now due to the whole dynamic and open world scene. I'm just hoping some of the more subtle MGS gameplay elements work their way back into the series with TPP.

South Park: The Stick of Truth
It captures the humour and feel of the show perfectly. The gameplay is a lot better than I was originally expecting too however from what I played of it in Germany I can't say I feel a need to go and purchase a copy to finish it.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMix
Is the combat clunky as shit? Yes.
Is the space travel awful? Yes.
Is the writing cringe worthy? Yes.
Is it still as awesome as I remember it being and am I still enjoying playing it? Yes.

Dark Souls 2
There's a lot I really like about this game but at the same time there's a few things that really annoy me so it's difficult to say if it's a better game than the first. First of all while it doesn't look impressive from a technical standpoint the way it sets up the environments with the lighting and everything else makes it one of the more jawdroppingly beautiful games I have ever played.

The main problem I have with this game is that it seems to do the difficult aspect simply by throwing more enemies at you than the original did, especially for boss fights. Maybe it's just because I'm a scrub and I haven't managed to do multiple runs of it it yet but given how I'm using my time lately I probably won't ever get into DaS2 the way I did with DaS1. It genuinely makes me a little sad.

The Stanley Parable
It's alright. Pretty funny. I give it a SensibleChuckle/10.

The Walking Dead: S2 and 400 Days
400 Days turned out to be a lot better than I was expecting with all the different stories and I'm interested in seeing how it branches into the main game. Season 2 is enjoyable but nothing clicks like the first season did.

Devil May Cry 4
Played a little bit of it before getting bored. Pulling enemies towards you just isn't fun. Will stick to being DMC3 masterrace.

Bayonetta
No, seriously, just give me Devil May Cry 3. I just don't like anything else.
Rainjar
Rainjar
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rainjar

Back to top Go down

The Games You Completed/Played in March 2014 Empty Re: The Games You Completed/Played in March 2014

Post by ajapam Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:33 pm

Dark Souls (!): I'm glad I finally got back to this game. There are a few annoying bits (Blighttown, Bed of Chaos) but overall it's one of the best games of the generation for me. I stopped right before Blighttown in NG+, but I started that NG+ the same day I beat the game, which is super-rare for me. 4.5/5, must play

Luftrausers: Every plane build really feels unique and it's a blast when you find one that really works for you. But it's fairly short unless you take on SFMT mode (HAHA yeah right) and some plane parts are less useful than I'd like. That doesn't make the awesome parts any less awesome, though. 3.5/5, wait for a sale
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:58 pm

Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare- http://videogamerrob.wordpress.com/2014/03/10/xb360xb1-review-plants-vs-zombies-garden-warfare/

South Park: The Stick of Truth- My GOTY so far. Such a hilarious and fun game, captured the humor of the show perfectly.

Dark Souls- Having just cleared Blighttown, I feel like I can take on the rest of the game. The game can get annoying with how it's structured and I still say no pause button is complete bullshit, but the game's a lot of fun and has a great sense of exploration and discovery.

MGSV: Ground Zeroes- Loved it. The game was short, yeah, but the side content more than made up for its length and I'll definitely be replaying this more than once.

Mass Effect- 16th playthrough, I love this game so much.

Infamous: Second Son- The best Infamous by a small margin, but I was disappointed by how basic the city and mission were. Felt a little like they were trying to show how powerful the PS4 is as early as they could while still having a good game with this one without putting in enough time to make it a real classic.

Awesomenauts Assemble- http://videogamerrob.wordpress.com/2014/03/14/ps4-review-awesomenauts-assemble/

Steamworld Dig- http://videogamerrob.wordpress.com/2014/03/21/ps4-review-steamworld-dig/

Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z- http://videogamerrob.wordpress.com/2014/04/01/ps3-review-yaiba-ninja-gaiden-z/
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:28 pm

Red Dead Redemption - Finally finished the campaign but there's plenty of stuff still to do (treasure, hunting, building up other ranks). At some point, I'll start up Undead Redemption. Still one of the greatest games of all time and I didn't even have to finish it to know that.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - A complete surprise and emotionally overwhelming.

Batman: Arkham City - Finished this game at the beginning of the month. Like RDR, there's plenty of stuff left to do but I wanted a change of pace. Still, a great Batman game.

Spelunky (Vita) - Played this almost everyday (some days a daily challenge was all I had time for). It's dawned on me recently that I'm no longer competing with friends for daily challenges but I keep pushing regardless. Managed to reach the ice caves at one point.

Zen Pinball 2 (Vita) - Managed to get the top rank for all of the Star Wars tables (save Empire Strikes Back), the Street Fighter 2 table and one of the Marvel collections (the one required to purchase if you want to compete online). The ESB table is still kicking my ass. I don't know how Rangergrrl got 50 million + points.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:27 pm

South Park: The Stick of Truth - Like Greenman, it is also my GOTY so far. Great game. Awesome fan service for South Park fans. Best licensed game ever.

The Walking Dead Season 2 Episode 2 - No the strongest episode of the series, but it did set the table for the rest of the season. Some really great, intense moments. This season could get really dark, really quickly.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - I've talked about this on other threads... but I thought this was an impressive, but brief game. So brief, I would have preferred it to just be included in the main game as a true prologue. It seems kind of silly and unnecessary considering Phantom Pain isn't coming anytime soon. Still got me excited for it though, so I guess Kojima wins again.

Final Fantasy X HD - I'm by no means done with this game... but I'm really enjoying it on the Vita. I will say, this game is mad linear in the beginning. I know it kind of opens up later, but for how much people bitched about FFXIII, this doesn't really feel all that different. I'm walking down a hell of a lot of straight paths. I also forgot how annoying Titus is and how lame Yuna is. Probably one of the weaker set of characters in a Final Fantasy game I've played. I still love the combat though. Being able to switch party members on the fly is something all FF games should have.
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:54 pm

It amazes me how many games you guys can play at once @_@.

Also, Matt...yeah, FFX was really the first linear FF game. I think the people complaining that FFXIII was linear were just grabbing at something in order to justify why they didn't like it but what they didn't like was a bit more abstract.

I said in the Now Playing thread but this one is probably more appropriate:

STILL finishing Deus Ex: HR Director's Cut - Missing link DLC took me a while to get through because it's so crap compared to the normal game.

Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds - Still digging it.

Fire Emblem: Awakening - Digging it but fucking up the marriages and everything else. I am not good at stat managing.

South Park: Stick of Truth - I feel myself approaching the ending which is a bummer because it's a fun game. Pretty buggy/obtuse in a couple places though.

Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:46 am

@Matt - I don't really remember FFX ever opening up. If I remember correctly it is linear the whole way through, it's just a lot more fun to play than XIII so I think that is one reason people forgive it.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:45 am

I think it also had more variety in its environments/had towns/NPCs/had equipment so it just felt more like a...world?
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:21 am

Variety in environments i disagree with sure each area had a different "theme" or backdrop, but theres just so few areas, and what is there is really small. Exploration is one thing i dont think X does well. That said the small areas do work well with encounter rate and combat system, and i think thats what they were going for.

Towns, and npc i totally agree with. Spira is a sort of post apocalyptic setting, but it still had more life than every place in cocoon. Npcs that actually talk to you and give you things. Major characters outside the main party who actually play a role in the overall story.

I think the main thing is pacing X does its pacing so well. it gives you little things like the blitzball tournament, walking through Luca with Yuna, meeting at Seymour's manor, The cloisters. They break up the game so its not all one fight after the other. Also things like Operation Mi'hen where you get to see plots that dont really revolve around the main storyline.

XIII just pushes you forward and doesnt want you to look back. It's all cutscene, dungeon crawl, cutscene dungeon crawl, etc, etc. XIII had one mini-game that you play once, and like one area without encounters. it was all fight, fight, fight.

but anyways.

I played

Bravely Default: My GOTY so far its classic final fantasy, and its hard. Need to get back to it though still not very far.

Tales of Symphonia HD: Better than i remember in some ways (combat, story) worse in others (fucking dungeon puzzles) still holds up pretty well overall though.

Dynasty Warriors 8 XL: Mindless hack n slash lots of content.

and FFX and X-2 HD i think ive said enough about those already though.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug
Sees Tetris Blocks EVERYWHERE

http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/stabs

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:17 am

Here are mine.

Infamous Second Son: Talking about this on here has made me realize I've never agreed on a series with Greenman as much as I do this one. It's a really fun game. The powers are awesome. I was particularly impressed with the traversal ones. The mission design leaves a lot to be desired though. Feels like a few steps forward, a few steps back just like I2 was. I have it as slightly better than the other Infamous games, but pretty much about the same level of quality. Gorgeous game though. Basically all the stuff Greenman said.

Yoshi's New Island: Pretty good overall. At first it felt like a game where all the difficulty came through collecting/completionist kind of playstyle which isn't my ideal kind of platformer. But things ramped up nicely in the final two worlds. The unique mechanics/boss battles make for a fun time still if not nearly as much as the original game. I was surprised how good the artstyle looked in 2.5D. Obviously it looked better in the original's 2D style, but screens do a poor job of representing how good this game looks.

Mario Kart 7: This series is so much about sitting on the couch playing with friends that I will likely never enjoy a handheld entry as much as the console ones. I did think this was a big step up in the controls from the DS game. The circle pad is so much better than the dpad in that regard for me. The new things (gliding, kart customization, etc.) are cool, but not gamechangers. I just came away disappointed with the new track selection. Not many standout courses here in my opinion. Still a good game overall.

I guess that is it for the month.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:56 pm

Finished South Park: Stick of Truth. Greenie and Matt are right, one of the best licensed games ever made. My only regret is that it wasn't longer ;___;
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:08 pm

I'm hoping we get some Randy DLC. Also how epic was that ending?
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:34 pm

The ending was amazing. Final Boss music had me laughing inappropriately loud for 1:30 AM.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:58 pm

I was dying when
Spoiler:
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:49 am

Beat Link Between Worlds. Didn't BLOW my mind but it was a very solid Zelda game, so I was happy. I'm already running out of games on my 3DS. Gonna need more recommendations soon!
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:52 am

Mario 3D World, Pokemon, Phoenix Wright, Pushmo/Crushmo, DKC Returns (since you don't have a Wii), and the upcoming Kirby game
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:43 am

Bravely Default, Tales of the Abyss, SMTIV
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:33 pm

Thanks guys =D Being the JRPG fan I am Bravely Default and SMT IV are definitely on the to-play list. And I do love me some Donkey Kong.

Why oh why aren't the GBA re-releases coming to 3DS? Or are they? Nintendo's e-shop is weird.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:47 pm

i think you'd love Bravely Default especially. Very much like old-school final fantasy.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:37 pm

They aren't on the 3DS, but regular GB games are. Here's a list of my favorite GB games if you want some recommendations there. http://www.pixlbit.com/blog/5038/my_top_10_gameboy_games
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:38 am

played and beat Papa y Yo. If it weren't beating you relentlessly over the head with its message there were some really cool gameplay ideas in there. Not to mention an excellent soundtrack but it was just too short and didn't make good on a lot of the stuff it set up. My favorite bits where when you picked up blocks and those blocks were houses that you could see in front of you...then they never used it again. Sad.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down