The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Chat Thread

+14
Motinator
TheMatt
chocobot
avidacridjam
SanAndreasX
Miraculous Kaydybug
Rainjar
ajapam
lenny.b
TripOpt55
volvocrusher
BretBaber
pspiddy
Krubixcube
18 posters

Page 27 of 34 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 30 ... 34  Next

Go down

Chat Thread - Page 27 Empty Re: Chat Thread

Post by volvocrusher Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:40 am

I only had one professor who promotes his own work and ironically he was one of my best. Just meant what he thought was important was also what the book thought was important and he made the tests designed so that if you read and pay attention in the lectures, you could get an A. Hell, last Monday I showed up sick, hung over, without any studying or reading and I still got an A on a test I completely forgot existed.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:50 am

All of my professors had written books and none of them promoted them. Lucky I guess.

Studied film at the University of Colorado for 1 year then transfered to the University of Falmouth in England to study the same thing. In hindsight I wouldn't have done it again.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Krubixcube Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:54 am

You'd be surprised, Greenie. When you're actually in education you realize most of the fault is with the parents (at least at younger ages), not the kids themselves. So it kind of becomes more of a mission to corrupt them against the shittier aspects of their home life in a weird way.

Oh spiddy, you don't hate me, you just don't respect me =p.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:01 am

Actually, that was kind of what I was getting at. The parents can't take that their child is human and makes mistakes like everyone else because they're so far up their ass that they're doing a good job with them when in reality watching their parenting is the same thing as what Spiddy sees when he watches Man of Steel.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:05 am

Spiddy, is this basically just a TV show for you to try to influence (ie write) to make things more interesting? Because that would explain SO MUCH
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:09 am

Spiddy as a professor would be awesome and hilarious...possibly corrupting but hey, not all bad.

As for me and the gf...I dunno, pretty good I guess. Ask and ye shall receive answers, friend. Never been good about talking about my own life things.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:35 am

Hey I appreciate you saying that spiddy. I have thought about going back to try teaching, but always seem to talk myself out of it.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:10 am

You'd be a good teacher, Trip. You're very patient with people.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:46 am

I had plans on becoming a psychiatrist back in highschool. I never actually went through with it. i was more worried about drugs and sex, and made one bad decision after another till i ended up hating myself, and stopped caring about what happened.

On a brighter note i probably wouldnt be here had that all not happened. Didnt really get into video games that much till after i stopped caring.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug
Sees Tetris Blocks EVERYWHERE

http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/stabs

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:10 pm

pspiddy wrote:
I want to know what Avid went to school for, because that dude, besides T-wolf, is a savant with film and such.

Upon graduating, I received a scholarship to study at the University of Arkansas Community College at Batesville, where I attended under the impression that I should pursue a drama major (getting a real kick out of the last two years of high school where I was in drama club and loved the shit out of it) but the reality of how shitty a job market that is made me transition into journalism because I loved writing. Near the end of my two years there, I won a transfer scholarship to the University of Arkansas (in Fayetteville) and finished there. I completed core curriculum classes and attended classes in the news/editorial/print vein (I didn't and still don't believe there's a place for me in tv or radio). I was a freelancer for the university newspaper.

Upon graduating I wrote for 2 publications for the next 2 1/2 years: a general staff writing gig at the Jonesboro Sun for all of 2004 and a freelance gig for The Fayetteville Free Weekly up until fall of 2006. At that point, I still couldn't get a job working full time and I needed more income, so my part-time custodial gig became full time and I've been there ever since.

Do I miss writing for a living? Yes, but only when I was writing about stuff I cared about. The Jonesboro Sun gig was nice for the money and benefits but it was soul crushing: I was giving the task of writing for 3 counties (2 of which were an hour's drive away) and some smaller areas in case someone else wasn't available. I wrote about everything under the sun, except for sports: local government, education, business, police reports, obituaries. I loved doing feature writing, especially things in the arts department and I rarely did that. Most of it felt like covering city council and quorum court meetings and while that's important for the readership, it bored me fucking senseless. Because I wasn't engaged my writing suffered for it. The general election coverage of that year almost broke me stress-wise. I quit at the end of year because I didn't see myself improving, not at that paper anyway.

The Free Weekly gig was better because of the subjects I was covering (local business profiles, issues like broadband communities or The Patriot Act, profiles of local music bands) but the problem is that it didn't pay enough to make ends meet and I had to cut it off when my job became full-time and when I moved to a different location. It sucked but I had to do it. I continued to apply for full-time or freelance jobs in every nearby publication but no one was offering anything. The pickings became even slimer in later years when certain publications were folding or being bought by conglomerates, not to mention the competition of new blood from the U of A.

After a while I stopped. I enjoyed it but I had the misfortune in choosing a field that is slowly dying. If I really wanted to keep doing it, I would've tried (it would've involved me moving again, which I did too much in the '00s) but I felt like I had my day in the sun. I had made it to the big leagues, I've had front page stories and I've seen how the business runs in a way that I can respect and appreciate.

As far as my film appreciation goes, that comes from watching too much TCM and IFC (back when it was actually a film channel) as a teenager and soaking up cinema like a sponge, reading huge amounts of film criticism and even trying my hand at it for the university newspaper (I reviewed Kill Bill Vol. 1, Mystic River and The Matrix Revolutions, for example). My time as a journalist does affect how I write (I observe AP guidelines to this very day). But its very much a personal gig.

Last edited by avidacridjam on Thu May 01, 2014 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:01 pm

That would explain why you're so very succinct and effective at making your points. Would you ever consider another line of journalism (not newspapers), or working for online publications, or even writing creatively?

Somehow I knew I wouldn't be disappointed with any response avid gave, the man practically knocks my socks off with his analysis and class on every other part of this forum.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu May 01, 2014 2:50 am

Yeah, I knew there had to be a reason avid's posts were so much more articulate than everyone else's around here.

Edit: I'd also like avid to upload some home video of his drama club days on Youtube for us.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu May 01, 2014 3:11 am

Seconded.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Thu May 01, 2014 9:53 am

Krubixcube wrote:That would explain why you're so very succinct and effective at making your points. Would you ever consider another line of journalism (not newspapers), or working for online publications, or even writing creatively?

Somehow I knew I wouldn't be disappointed with any response avid gave, the man practically knocks my socks off with his analysis and class on every other part of this forum.

Thank you, sir.
I'd never rule out an online writing gig but I'm hesitant to good looking for one since I wouldn't expect it to pay enough as well. I do whine about my job every now and then (over on Pixlbit) but I work for good people. They've saved me from unemployment twice and pay me well. I suppose that's another way of saying that whatever writing I want to do these days has to be something I can manage. It would drive me nuts if I had to deal with deadlines again with my schedule. I just like writing at my own pace.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Thu May 01, 2014 9:55 am

TripOpt55 wrote:Yeah, I knew there had to be a reason avid's posts were so much more articulate than everyone else's around here.

Edit: I'd also like avid to upload some home video of his drama club days on Youtube for us.

Sadly, there is no video available. I do have some pics that are comical enough. I'll get to posting those when I can.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Thu May 01, 2014 10:56 am

I took a handful of classes at a local community college and always did well, but I stopped going because I never knew what I wanted to go for. Was always attending while working full time at Wal-Mart, and since I was a born slacker I just stopped going to the place that took time and money away from me. Do I regret it? Yup. But 10 years later I still don't know what I'd like to be.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu May 01, 2014 5:13 pm

volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu May 01, 2014 10:50 pm

Why you gotta be depressing me all the time with your humanity-sucks stories all the time greenie?
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu May 01, 2014 11:02 pm

It keeps me from breaking stuff
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Sat May 03, 2014 12:27 pm

Rainjar wrote:
Kayshire Cat wrote:
Rainjar wrote:Can we all agree the 2DS looks like the most uncomfortable looking and least practical console made in recent years? I'm surprised anyone wants one. Plus its name is stoopid >:l.

Nope because i actually own one and really like it. Only issue I have is its back is just black. Otherwise I love it.

It just doesn't look very comfy to hold at all. The 3DS and Vita angle off at that perfect spot so you can properly wrap your hands around 'em which the 2DS looks like it lacks. There's also the fact it the least practical out of the lot when it comes to a portable device which is pretty big deal for a portable gaming device.

Maybe I'm wrong though and it's comfy. If I ever get to try one I'll come back and tell you I was right.

I was right.
Rainjar
Rainjar
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sat May 03, 2014 12:39 pm

Finally try one?
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Sat May 03, 2014 2:14 pm

Aye, one of the warehouse team at work bought one because they're all hooked on Pokemans at the moment. The analog felt really nice and smooth but overall uncomfortable/10.
Rainjar
Rainjar
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sat May 10, 2014 2:25 am

Who out of everyone on the forum is most likely catfishing us all?
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 34 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 30 ... 34  Next