The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Movies You've Watched Recently

+18
Rainjar
chocobot
Motinator
TripOpt55
ajapam
BretBaber
Methane_Max
pspiddy
Captain N
Nephilimi
AlexC-25
Krubixcube
Keith_Games
volvocrusher
avidacridjam
b.b.hagen
Bannen
TheMatt
22 posters

Page 3 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18 ... 34  Next

Go down

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 3 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by Krubixcube Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:41 am

Just out of curiosity what do you guys define as an old movie?
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 3 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by ajapam Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:47 am

avidacridjam wrote:Watched The Master this morning. As with most P.T. Anderson films, it's beautifully shot and acted (after seeing what Joaquin Phoenix does here, I'm not so sure Day Lewis deserved his Oscar) but this is the first of Anderson's films where the script fails to stick to the landing. I'm not sure what the nature of the relationship between the two main guys is and neither is the film. The conclusion just seems so awkward and so close to this side of abrupt. Still, if you like Anderson's films, you should see it.

I'm going way back with this quote, but it really sums up my thoughts on that movie. All I can add is that Jonny Greenwood's soundtrack is great... and that's one of the main reasons I watched it

@Twolf pre-70s is old. Also, 80s movies are old because you can always tell when a movie was made in the 80s. Nobody living in any other time would use awful 80s music as a soundtrack.
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:04 am

I actually agree entirely with that, pre-70
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:10 am

I watched Flight a week or so ago. I really like Denzel and think he was great in it, but the movie really wasn't for me I guess. I am not sure if this is a spoiler, but I am going to mention something the movie is about and if you have no clue what the movie is about I guess its a spoiler, but it is just something the movie deals with
Spoiler:
Again not really a spoiler, but if you think the movie is all about flying or something it might be. The beginning sequence was quite good and and there were other parts I liked, but overall I guess it wasn't the best watch for me.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:11 am

Thanks for the spoiler tag, because that movie just came in from Netflix.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:22 am

Krubixcube wrote:Just out of curiosity what do you guys define as an old movie?

ajapam's definition works, but we now live in a period where Jurassic Park is 20 years old so everything ages. My post was a response to Bannen's (and I'm not in any way putting him in a spotlight) but I don't think a film's age has anything to do with its quality.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by b.b.hagen Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:50 pm

TripOpt55 wrote:I watched Flight a week or so ago. I really like Denzel and think he was great in it, but the movie really wasn't for me I guess. I am not sure if this is a spoiler, but I am going to mention something the movie is about and if you have no clue what the movie is about I guess its a spoiler, but it is just something the movie deals with
Spoiler:
Again not really a spoiler, but if you think the movie is all about flying or something it might be. The beginning sequence was quite good and and there were other parts I liked, but overall I guess it wasn't the best watch for me.

I enjoyed Flight but I can understand where you're coming from. I did think Denzel did a great job though. Loved the ending too.
b.b.hagen
b.b.hagen
Sand Thrower

Back to top Go down

Post by Bannen Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:04 pm

volvocrusher wrote:Oh God I loved 12 Angry Men. The whole movies just 12 guys in a room, but it's so damn good. I sometimes think we're the same person whenever we talk about movies Bannen.
The universe could not contain this much awesomeness in one being, and so it created two.

...it also explains how I ended up with all the Dead Space love, and you got all the Pokemon love.
Bannen
Bannen
Asks for the "Guile" at the Barbershop

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:49 pm

b.b.hagen wrote:
TripOpt55 wrote:I watched Flight a week or so ago. I really like Denzel and think he was great in it, but the movie really wasn't for me I guess. I am not sure if this is a spoiler, but I am going to mention something the movie is about and if you have no clue what the movie is about I guess its a spoiler, but it is just something the movie deals with
Spoiler:

I enjoyed Flight but I can understand where you're coming from. I did think Denzel did a great job though. Loved the ending too.

The ending was great. John Goodman's character was pretty funny too.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:53 am

I watched Drive...again. I fucking love that movie so hard.

Also, saw Django again...was even better the second time. Have I seen anything new? NO! But 12 Angry Men is on my list and since two people are currently gushing I'll have a look see.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexC-25 Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:09 pm

You know, after watching The Avengers, I never thought anything else would take the spot for my favorite film of 2012. Then Django Unchained came and I took my hat off to Tarantino. Django was just pure awesomess.

Anyway, today I watched another film at my Spanish/Literature class called Herod's Law (original title: La Ley de Herodes). It's a satirical film about the corruption of a famous real-life Mexican political party called PRI, set in a fictional town in the late 40s. I really liked the film. Aside from great satire and camera work, it's a pretty good portrayal of what corruption does and if one wants to analyse the movie more, it can also bring questions about the human order and if it's a good thing.
AlexC-25
AlexC-25
Sand Thrower

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:11 pm

Definitely getting Django when it comes to Blu-Ray. Normally don't do that, but I could watch that opening scene over and over again. And you'd like 12 Angry Men T-Wolf.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:33 am

It's downloadin' presently.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain N Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:44 am

Watched The Amazing Spider-Man the other day. Wasn't as bad as I thought.
Captain N
Captain N
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:46 am

I liked Amazing Spiderman. Wasn't even close to as good as Spiderman 2, but it had some neat ideas even if there were some dumb ones too (that crane scene...ugh). I'm looking forward to the sequel though.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain N Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:54 am

lol alot of people hate that crane scene. There were some pretty great ideas in there. And Martin Sheen as Uncle Ben was great.
Captain N
Captain N
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

Back to top Go down

Post by Bannen Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:45 am

The crane scene was cringe-worthy. I also was not a fan of the telegraphed plot-point of the fill-the-air-with-helpful-medication-or-evil-mutagen device.

Saw that and frowned.

In general, I thought a redux of Spidey's origin was pointless. We all know it. It's like when they reboot Batman or Superman and we have to go through the Waynes dying and Superman landing in Kansas again. WE GET IT, MOVE ON TO COOL STUFF!

I'm hoping the second one picks things up, but I'm already worried it's gonna drown in badguys. Electro, Rhino, possibly Green Goblin... Too many villains = crap.
Bannen
Bannen

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:46 pm

12 Angry Men finished this morning so I'll check it out tonight dudes.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by b.b.hagen Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:04 pm

Krubixcube wrote:I watched Drive...again. I fucking love that movie so hard.

Also, saw Django again...was even better the second time. Have I seen anything new? NO! But 12 Angry Men is on my list and since two people are currently gushing I'll have a look see.

Drive is fucking awesome. Easily my favorite movie to come out in the past few years.
b.b.hagen
b.b.hagen
Sand Thrower

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:17 pm

Drive, along with Children of Men, are two films I think are near perfectly paced at least in the style I'd personally want to make a film.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:20 am

Just finished 12 Angry Men...it was fucking fantastic! Whoever wrote that film...MAD props. Every bit of dialogue is super engaging, the cast was fantastic, the direction with the characters and costumes was well though out.

Good stuff, gentlemen, good stuff. Would happily add that one to the collection. Watched the blu-ray print of it as well and they did a REALLY nice job of cleaning it up too.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Bannen Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:58 pm

I think it was originally a stage play before it was a movie.
Either way, good stuff.
Bannen
Bannen

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:41 pm

The next time Criterion has a sale through their website or Barnes & Noble, I'm picking that up.

Speaking of B&N, I pre-ordered The Hobbit blu-ray since they have it for $21. Yes, I know there'll be an extended cut in November. I don't care: I WANT IT.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:46 pm

Yeah, that was my only complaint about the movie, Bannen. That said, that's just the feel of a lot of old movies since they were still kind of figuring out how to do the whole movie script thing.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:48 pm

I kind of like that it only took place in one room. Plus, it was kind of incredible how they kept it interesting and filled you in on the information that way.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:49 pm

Oh absolutely, it was extremely engaging and intellectual BECAUSE it didn't leave that room. Friends on my facebook have picked out my next film as Brazil. So there you have it...will get on downloading it soon.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:35 pm

avidacridjam wrote:The next time Criterion has a sale through their website or Barnes & Noble, I'm picking that up.

Speaking of B&N, I pre-ordered The Hobbit blu-ray since they have it for $21. Yes, I know there'll be an extended cut in November. I don't care: I WANT IT.

I too pre-ordered it. They're sending me my copy now, and it comes with a 64 page book. By pre-ordering it I got a week early access to the digital vudu version. Oh Peter Jackson, I love you. The Hobbit was my favorite movie of last year but I knew that was going to happen before I even seen it.

I like both versions of 12 Angry Men. We watched it when I was in theatre class back in high school, and some where (probably TV) I watched the other version. The story is so well written that I enjoyed both versions of it. So I agree, based on watching it in theatre class I believe it is a play.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by BretBaber Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:31 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_angry_men

I remember Mr. Danza, but not Mr. Gandolfini! I'd love to rewatch this version again knowing Tony Soprano is acting. James Gandolfini is awesome.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:07 pm

I watched Drive with my roommates. We were expecting a car chase movie with Ryan Gosling being more like his other roles. Holy shit was that not that movie.
Motinator
Motinator
Has a Bad Case of Headcrabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18 ... 34  Next