The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Movies You've Watched Recently

+18
Rainjar
chocobot
Motinator
TripOpt55
ajapam
BretBaber
Methane_Max
pspiddy
Captain N
Nephilimi
AlexC-25
Krubixcube
Keith_Games
volvocrusher
avidacridjam
b.b.hagen
Bannen
TheMatt
22 posters

Page 2 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 34  Next

Go down

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 2 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by Bannen Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:10 pm

b.b.hagen wrote:
Bannen wrote:
volvocrusher wrote:Watching Ghostbusters is always a good thing
I love you guys.
What're your feelings on Ghostbusters 3 looking like it's going to finally be made? I'm going to see it either way but I just, meh.
Long ago, I came to the decision that I'd never put any more emotion into Ghostbusters 3. It's been rumored for so long, so many false starts, so many repeating stories that turn out to be shit. I can't even tell you how many times I've read these stories of the years:
- Bill Murray is onboard!
- It's about the Ghostbusters going to Hell!
- GB3 is set to start shooting in xx/xx/xxxx!
- Venkman will die and be a ghost in GB3!
- It's about the Ghostbusters stopping the Mayan doomsday prediction!
- Bill Murray won't be in GB3.
- There's a great new script for GB3 that's been greenlit, and will start filming soon.
- Bill Murray loves the new script and is onboard!
- Top-of-mind young comedic actors will be handed the torch as the new Ghostbusters!
- Bill Murray won't be in GB3.
- Bill Murray will do a cameo in GB3.

It's fucking endless... The "young comedian" thing alone is like a time capsule, when you look back at all the name dropping. Chris Farley, Chris Rock, Adam Sandler, Tina Fey, Andy Samburg, Seth Rogan, Kristen Wiig.

So, my rule with Ghostbusters 3 is that I can't invest anything in the idea unless I'm sitting in a theater and see a trailer for it. Then, and only then, I'll know it's finally true, and then I can safely put all of my heart and soul into caring about it...
Bannen
Bannen
Asks for the "Guile" at the Barbershop

Back to top Go down

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 2 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by Keith_Games Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:00 am

Just watched Rosemary's Baby for the first time. Gf and I going to Last Exorcism 2 this weekend.
Keith_Games
Keith_Games
Sand Thrower

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:02 am

I have nightmares about Jonah Hill being cast in Ghostbusters 3. I don't know why, I'm just terrified he'll have a proton pack. Really, they should just cast all the male characters from Parks and Rec for it, Chris Pratt, Aziz Ansari, and Adam Scott would especially be great choices.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Nephilimi Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:26 am

Hands down the best movie of the year... of the last ten years... was Cloud Atlas. Screw the Academy Awards.

Nephilimi
Currently Looking Through Their Ascot Closet

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:46 am

AlexC-25 wrote:Watched today at my spanish class (literature and closest to english class to those on the US) Johnny Got His Gun.

I don't think it's a very known film (don't know about the book), but I think some might know this film for having clips of the movie inserted on the music video for Metallica's One (fitting as the song was based on the book).

The movie was very impressive. You really felt what the character was going through and it uses the trope And I Must Scream effectivly.

Just be carefull. It's very depressing stuff.

I thought Johnny Got His Gun was a piece of overrated trash. It was poorly acted, shittily photographed and the pacing was like it was shat out of a constipated donkey. Horrible horrible film. Considering how many accolades it got I was expecting...something, but it was awful. It was directed by the guy who wrote it...so that probably didn't help.

I very much had a hard time defending that film...but...since you seem to like it. By all means, defend it.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:47 am

Nephilimi wrote:Hands down the best movie of the year... of the last ten years... was Cloud Atlas. Screw the Academy Awards.

Also, here I was...thinking I could have a peaceful discussion and then BOOM, Neph is back.

Well, regardless of the MANY films the academy passes up every year...it does not, shockingly, take your taste into account =p

That said, of the last TEN YEARS?! So it beats No Country For Old Men, Drive, Children of Men, In Bruges, There Will Be Blood, Black Swan, WALL-E, Up, The Dark Knight, Inglorious Basterds, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead, Inception, Pan's Labryinth, Paprika, The Chaser, Scott Pilgrim Vs The World, Team America, The Lives of Others, Let the Right One In...AMONG OTHERS, and Cloud Atlas beats them all?

At least 3 of those films I'd put in my personal top 10 and you're telling me that Cloud Atlas beats all of them?! Well, color my expectations tainted, Neph.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Nephilimi Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:09 am

Oh Christ, of course they don't take my opinion into account. We could talk at length about the Oscars. Short version: I think there needs to be some middle ground between elitism and popular opinion. The Oscars tend to be way too far into the elitism spectrum. So much so that they often overshoot what I would consider "artsy". I don't even mind if it was always the "artsy" pick.

Twolf you listed a ton of outstanding movies (and some stinkers Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead, Team America?). Off the top of my head some of my favorite movies (I'm sure I'm missing a bunch) are Children of Men, The Dark Knight, I Heart Huckabees, Drive, 21 grams, The Watchmen, Stay, In Bruges, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, LOTR... and honestly I enjoyed Cloud Atlas slightly more. Hmm yes even slightly more than Children of Men... slightly.

I have this huge suspicion that you will hate it though.

Nephilimi

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain N Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:21 am

But this forum wouldn't be complete without Neph Twolf Razz
Captain N
Captain N
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain N Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:23 am

Twolf, I noticed you're playing 999, I'm so happy, that's one of my favorite DS games. Once you're done we should discuss that on the Now Playing thread.
Captain N
Captain N
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:18 am

We should.

And dont worry Neph, sarcasm still reigns. That said, Hot Fuzz and Team America are awesome, fuck you
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Krubixcube Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:45 am

Kiss away
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:54 am

In all seriousness though Neph, if you think Cloud Atlas is better than all those movies you're allowed :-p was just probing your soul.

And Children of Men *high five*

also you STILL need to watch 2046 and In The Mood For Love
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:49 am

Don't know if anyone here cares about the Criterion Collection label but they had a flash sale a couple of days ago (50% of anything in stock). I ordered blu-ray versions of Brazil, Rushmore and Bottle Rocket and paid less than $60. Eagerly awaiting those to come to my doorstep.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexC-25 Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:58 pm

Krubixcube wrote:
AlexC-25 wrote:Watched today at my spanish class (literature and closest to english class to those on the US) Johnny Got His Gun.

I don't think it's a very known film (don't know about the book), but I think some might know this film for having clips of the movie inserted on the music video for Metallica's One (fitting as the song was based on the book).

The movie was very impressive. You really felt what the character was going through and it uses the trope And I Must Scream effectivly.

Just be carefull. It's very depressing stuff.

I thought Johnny Got His Gun was a piece of overrated trash. It was poorly acted, shittily photographed and the pacing was like it was shat out of a constipated donkey. Horrible horrible film. Considering how many accolades it got I was expecting...something, but it was awful. It was directed by the guy who wrote it...so that probably didn't help.

I very much had a hard time defending that film...but...since you seem to like it. By all means, defend it.

Even though I had to watch the film in Spanish, I did really noticed that the acting wasn't that good for some characters, but if I have to be fair, I didn't have any problem with the pacing and photography at all, and what mattered to me was the impact.

I really felt the pain the character was going through and the downer ending really made me feel sorry for the guy. And like I said, it uses the mentioned trope at its advantage.

Sorry, if I didn't explained very well why I liked the film. You just simply asked for it Razz
AlexC-25
AlexC-25
Sand Thrower

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:58 am

avidacridjam wrote:Don't know if anyone here cares about the Criterion Collection label but they had a flash sale a couple of days ago (50% of anything in stock). I ordered blu-ray versions of Brazil, Rushmore and Bottle Rocket and paid less than $60. Eagerly awaiting those to come to my doorstep.

God dammit...I would have loved that.

Also @alex...well, I still disagree with you but fair enough. For some reason that film just didn't hit me at all at any point. Except maybe the very beginning. Maybe I'm just calloused against stuff like that. But I felt even films like Diving Bell and the Butterfly captured that feeling of being a prisoner in your own body more hopefully. Something with that sense of style but obviously less optimistic would have hit me like a brick.

You're certainly not alone in your opinion either, lots of critics liked that film but I just couldn't see it.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Nephilimi Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:04 am

Did you ever see Blindness Twolf? That movie freaking captured the feeling of being a prisoner like no other. It also has the scene that disturbed me the most of any movie I've watched. I don't think I could bring myself to watch the movie again.

Farts I want to see Bottle Rocket so badly but where will I ever find it? I wouldn't mind seeing Brazil again too. It was one of those movies my Dad rammed down my throat when I was too young to appreciate it.

Nephilimi

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:06 am

I just like that line they used in the music video for One, "For democracy, any man would give his only begotten son." Gave me goosebumps.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:40 am

I saw it at afilm festival actually and it had some cool stylistic bits (and I DO remember the scene you're talking about and good lord it was shocking) but I wasn't wowed by it. Cool concept though.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexC-25 Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:14 pm

Did a double feature yesterday with Life Is Beautiful (La Vita e Bella) and Silver Linings Playbook. Liked them both, specially the latter.

Although it kinda had some Oscar bait feel to it and I still have doubts about the methods the father did to hide to war to his kid, Life Is Beautiful was still a charming film. It combined very well drama and comedy on the holocaust second half, Roberto Benigni did a great permormance and in the end, even with my doubts on his methods, the movie really showed that he cared a lot for his son to (spoiler)
Spoiler:

On Silver Linings Playbook, I really liked a lot. I'm not expert on bipolar disorder, but I thought it threated well that theme and the relationship between the two troubled protagonist, and the acting of the cast was really great. I could see why the Academy gave Jennifer Lawrence an Oscar for her permomance. Although I wasn't a big fan of the Eagles sub-plot and neither were the superstitions of Ne Niro's character.
AlexC-25
AlexC-25
Sand Thrower

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:17 pm

Watched Jean Renior's The River on Hulu this morning. It's such a nice change of pace to see life simply observed rather than trying to pigeonhole it into a conventional plot. Beautifully photographed as well.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:22 pm

Watched The Master this morning. As with most P.T. Anderson films, it's beautifully shot and acted (after seeing what Joaquin Phoenix does here, I'm not so sure Day Lewis deserved his Oscar) but this is the first of Anderson's films where the script fails to stick to the landing. I'm not sure what the nature of the relationship between the two main guys is and neither is the film. The conclusion just seems so awkward and so close to this side of abrupt. Still, if you like Anderson's films, you should see it.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:34 pm

I'm going to see the Master when it hits theaters here later this month (better late than never right?), but I've heard similar complaints. I've been lazy with watching films recently. need to get back on that.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Methane_Max Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:27 pm

I'm sure this has already been talked about, but I finally saw Dredd last weekend. That was one kick ass movie. It was much better than I expected it to be.
Methane_Max
Methane_Max
Sand Thrower

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:42 pm

Anyone watch The Great and Powerful Oz? I'd like to watch that movie.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Bannen Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:22 pm

Cool Hand Luke. Love that movie.

That on Blu-Ray?
Bannen
Bannen

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:29 pm

Bannen wrote:Cool Hand Luke. Love that movie.

That on Blu-Ray?
I fucking love you man. Such a great movie

And yeah, it's on Blu-Ray http://www.amazon.com/Cool-Hand-Luke-Blu-ray-Newman/dp/B0017TYPIG/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1362785285&sr=1-2&keywords=cool+hand+luke
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Bannen Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:50 am

You just made my day.
I don't like many "old" movies, but Cool Hand Luke is fucking awesome.
Also, 12 Angry Men.
Bannen
Bannen

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:20 am

Oh God I loved 12 Angry Men. The whole movies just 12 guys in a room, but it's so damn good. I sometimes think we're the same person whenever we talk about movies Bannen.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:48 am

I love old movies. They're the best.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 34  Next