The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Series that would make good Metroidvania-type games

+2
pspiddy
TripOpt55
6 posters

Go down

Series that would make good Metroidvania-type games Empty Series that would make good Metroidvania-type games

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:08 am

Not sure if we'd had this type of thread before, but I was thinking about how Tearaway would maybe be cool in a Metroid style game. You know with new abilities allowing further exploration in a growing game world. Tearaway felt like a game that didn't push some of its mechanics as far as they could go, but stuff like ball-rolling, the little accordion thing, walking on walls would have been cool in a world more like the Metroid games. Assuming those ideas were pushed further I mean. Plus even jumping with back touch pad could be a learned skill. The general style of game Tearaway was also felt like something that could fit in well.

Not that this would ever happen but I definitely thought about it while playing it. Anybody ever have any thoughts like this about certain series?
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Series that would make good Metroidvania-type games Empty Re: Series that would make good Metroidvania-type games

Post by volvocrusher Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:29 am

Tearaway is a great choice. I'd like to see Ratchet and Clank above all else do it. Give a bunch of gadgets and weapons sprinkled around a few massive planets like in Metroid Prime 3. Just keep the same weapon upgrading.

A Mass Effect spin-off Metroidvania could be cool too. Have you play as a biotic character and have you find weapons, ammo upgrades, tech abilities, and biotic powers to get to new areas. For that matter a Star Wars one would be cool as hell also.

I'd also love Tomb Raider to expand on Croft Manor into a full gamebut me and Trip both know that's not happening soon.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Series that would make good Metroidvania-type games Empty Re: Series that would make good Metroidvania-type games

Post by volvocrusher Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:32 am

Spiddy Chamber of Secrets on PS2/XB/GC was actually a Zelda style one, which I thought worked better than Metroidvania would. Classes and major events were dungeons and Hogwarts was an overworld to use new spells to find secrets. I'd love to see them take that approach for a new HP that covered all 7 books. Or a WRPG just like Kotor.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:49 am

It's definitely worth a look, but go GameCube or Xbox if you can. PS2 version was noticeably worse.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:40 am

The tomb raider thing made me thing of Guardians of Light...which was an excellent game. That style gameplay with Metroidvania twist would be AWESOME.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:10 am

I think Tomb Raider reboot could be crafted into a cool Metroid-like experience if they wanted. Make the location less linear than last year's. Some things to bar off areas would be:

Underwater swimming (and deeper swimming with some kind of underwater breathing thing)
Grapple (pull stuff to start then upgraded to swing and repel or wallrun maybe)
Climbing Axe
The ability to bound between Walls
Fire and explosive arrows

That is just off the top of my head. Some more platforming moves too. They kind of had this idea in there, but with it being so linear there was no "Aha, now I can go there!" other than for some secrets. The new area you could now get to were always just in front of you. Except Mountain Village (I think it was called) I guess, but even then they lead you back there. That level was actually pretty cool though.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:07 am

I think it probably makes the most sense to just add gadgets for the Tomb Raider theme. It's a personal preference thing but i get annoyed when stuff like wall jumps are unlocked. "WHY DIDN"T YOU JUST DO THAT BEFORE?! GOD!"
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:15 am

They could just tie it to some gear like an upgrade to the climbing axe or boots or something.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:25 am

That's true, like...better soled boots. Tomb Raider DEFINITELY makes sense for that format though.

Good topic, by the way.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:08 am

I've never really played a Metroid game, so I have no idea. Ratchet and Clank seems like a good game though. I've also thought a huge open world Ratchet and Clank game would be awesome if done like Zelda.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:36 am

Zelda is kind of similar Bret. If people want to spin this discussion out to which should be like Zelda or even which franchise should get an RPG spinoff maybe that'd be cool too.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:20 am

Symphony of the Night is definitely my favorite of these styles of games.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:19 am

I think it might have been free for PS+ at one time, and if it is playable on the Vita I'll download it and give it a try. The games like that I've tried though I don't typically enjoy all that much.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:48 am

I remember renting (when this used to exist) SotN when it was out on PS1 back in the day and I didn't play it much. I think I also tried it on the PS3 for a bit and again didn't play it much. A game like that might be better played on the go for me, since most of my gaming gets done at work on lunch anymore.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:46 am

I've always thought Harry Potter would be a great RPG. I've seen this discussed quite a few other people too.

I never knew CoS was that close, I have the PS1 version. Wonder how hard that would be to find
Motinator
Motinator
Has a Bad Case of Headcrabs

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:56 am

The GBC Harry Potter games were actually RPGs. The first one was pretty meh because you could only have Harry in your party, but CoS was really good. Had a lot of sidequests and secrets to discover.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down