The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Top Five Older Generation Games/Series You'd Resurrect

+5
Krubixcube
pspiddy
avidacridjam
volvocrusher
BretBaber
9 posters

Go down

Top Five Older Generation Games/Series You'd Resurrect  Empty Top Five Older Generation Games/Series You'd Resurrect

Post by BretBaber Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:52 am

They were once your favorite series.  You enjoyed the characters and world they provided.  The game's mechanics were fun and fresh.  Then they stopped making the damned thing!  

What older generation franchises would you love to see revisited?  Maybe a remake, or maybe just a whole new  story all together.   The list can be more than five if you want, but preferably not a game this past gen unless you have a really good reason to include it.  I'd love for a little explanation as to why you'd like to see it again, but if you want to just list a name that's fine too.  Who knows, maybe a video game company will see our plea and shower us with the treasures we deserve.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Top Five Older Generation Games/Series You'd Resurrect  Empty Re: Top Five Older Generation Games/Series You'd Resurrect

Post by BretBaber Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:05 am

My list is in no order, just ones that pop into my head...

1. Medievil - I never played the game when it was out on the PS1, but I wish I would have. Now the game has a bit of a dated design that's hard for new users to adapt and play, but what is there is a charming Tim Burtonesque game. Great main character, new abilities and powers, challenging platformer, fun story, great world/setting. Even playing it years after it was released the game was still fun, but the fun was limited by controls that could easily be fixed today. PS3, Vita, or PS4...I don't care how I get it, but I'd love to see it.

2. Ape Escape - Not the shitty games that were on the PSP, but a great one like the original PS1 game. The way it used controls at the time was so awesome, and I remember paddling that boat with the two analog sticks and thinking it was the most amazing thing ever at the time. It might be a chore, but games could still take a note from all of the cool mechanics that game offered. Another great part about the game was the humor. I remember some of the descriptions for the monkeys you were about to catch were pretty hilarious. With the Vita's front and back touch screen this would fit amazingly on there, but a PS4 game would be great with the DS4 controller.

3. Brave Fencer Musashi - Surely everyone else that plays RPG games on here would want this too, right? Awesome main character. Square's attempt at a Zelda game (a Zelda game I enjoy more than Zelda games). The funniest game I can remember from the PS1. I enjoyed the world, might not be as big as let's say Ocarina of Time, but it was still fun to explore. Yes I know there was a sequel on the PS2, but I could tell from the demo that that game sucked. Deep down I know there is never a chance of this, since Square doesn't like to do what is obvious and what should be done, but I can still dream. Brave Fencer Musashi was definitely in my Top 10 favorite PS1 games.

4. Dark Cloud - I'm glad they made Ni no Kuni, but what was Level-5 thinking not doing another one of these games? If I'm not mistaken, they sold really well. Combat was identical to Zelda, but from what I remember a little better. With almost everyone playing online now, they could easily add a feature where you can visit your friend's town's that they are rebuilding. There just seems like so much more they could do with this franchise, yet they do nothing with it. Make me another Ni no Kuni game Level-5, and then make me this.

5. Timesplitters - I shouldn't even have to type anything. Everyone here should know how great those games are. If you're not going to make a new one, at least do an HD remake on the first three. Please! Two words to describe how great that game was...Harry Tipper.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Top Five Older Generation Games/Series You'd Resurrect  Empty Re: Top Five Older Generation Games/Series You'd Resurrect

Post by volvocrusher Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:52 am

1. Crash Bandicoot- You guys knew this was coming. I'm not asking for much, just a PSN downloadable title with five worlds, maybe a bonus one or two and some creative levels. If that works, great, flesh it out into a full retail game, but a new Crash wouldn't take much effort.
2. Jade Empire- Take what you're doing with Dragon Age 3, and set it in the Jade Empire universe next Bioware. Not that hard, lets you reuse what you did in that game while still being true to JE, and you make your fans really happy. Wins all around.
3. Jak and Daxter- I know this will make Trip happy. And it would make me happy too. I'd want something more like 2 and 3 than 1 because even though 2 was a step back, they learned their lessons from it in 3 and made something really unique and special. I wouldn't say no to more of 1, but there's plenty of games like 1, but nothing like 2 and 3.
4. Psychonauts- There's not enough platformers and even though the platforming was weak, god damn this game was so unique that it deserves a sequel
5. Jet Set Radio- Just imagining this series going open world makes me drool. There's really nothing like these games and I'd love to see some more out of it
Honorable mentions:
Kotor- There was The Old Republic so technically we got something, but god dammit I want Kotor 3!
Skies of Arcadia- Part of me wants a sequel, but the first game wrapped up everything so perfectly I was content with what it gave. Even if they took the charm and combat (which is one of my favorite RPG combat systems), the world was so cool it wouldn't feel the same. Just put the game in HD and it will hit Super Mario World/MGS3 status where I'll keep buying it no matter how many times it's rereleased.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:38 am

1. Phantasy Star - I know many loved the Online games (well, the first one anyway) but I want a true successor to Phantasy Star IV. According to a PS-themed Retronauts episode, plans for a fifth game were made but scrapped. Kind of a bummer.
2. Double Dragon - Specifically the Master System version of the game.
3. Gunstar Heroes
4. Jet Force Gemini - I remember liking this one, although it had plenty of rough edges.
5. Battletoads - And this time, make co-op fun so that it's not just fucking impossible to progress through the game, let alone finish it.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:44 am

I was going to mention greenman putting Crash Bandicoot but I thought I'd just let it play out on its own. If they remade a Jak game, I'd personally like it to be more like the first game than 2 or 3. Just as long as it isn't like 2 I'd be happy.

Wasn't Battletoads a NES game? Weren't all those games impossible to finish without some kind of cheat? If someone on here beat Contra without the code then I'm impressed.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by BretBaber Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:16 am

I'm very impressed by you beating Contra with 3 lives. If you beat Ninja Gaiden for NES as well that is very impressive.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:06 pm

Didn't Double Dragon already get a PSN/XBLA game?
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:37 pm

It's had remakes or reboots every now and then (I wasn't impressed with DD: Neon, the most recent). I suppose my argument is that they've fucked it up somehow every time and I would like an attempt that is like the Master System version (at least, like my memories of it).
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:47 pm

I pretty much hated what I played of DD: Neon, but I'll tell you what I did like and that is the beginning of the game. It starts off with I think two guys walking up to a girl and either punching her in the gut or kneeing her in the gut. It was so unnecessary but pretty fucking funny at the same time. Played the first level and hated the game, nothing like the NES game I remembered.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:48 pm

Just watch how ridiculous it is!
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:16 pm

Final Fantasy hrhr.

But seriously I would say:

1. Crash Bandicoot - if they can do a revival of Rayman they could do the Bandicoot.

2. Jade Empire - I'll second volvo/greenie (WHAT DO I CALL YOU?!) on this one. This world has a HUGE potential to expand on. It was so cool how it was a mythological world but there wasn't that stupid "WHAT...THERE ARE TROLLS?! TELL ME MORE ABOUT THAT!" (a la Mass Effect, which I do love but breaks immersion somewhat). It played it more like "no shit there are trolls, of course there are trolls in this world deal with it." Cool game, wouldn't mind seeing more of it.

3. Zone of the Enders - First one wasn't great. 2nd one did a pretty good job of making you feel like a flying anime mech...there's been a distinct lack of flying anime mechs in my life.

4. Psychonauts - Like Greenie said, even with so-so platforming it's a hard game to put down. Fix up the Platforming and leave the unique feel and you have something really special there.

5. Chrono Series - I say this one REALLY hesitantly though.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:24 pm

Krubixcube wrote: I'll second volvo/greenie (WHAT DO I CALL YOU?!)

Chet Manly
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:40 pm

Alright Chet.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:34 am

Here we go:

1. Jak and Daxter: I say take the formula for 3, but with more linear platforming sections outside the hubworlds (stuff like the eco mine, monk temple, Mar's Tomb, volcano, etc.). Maybe even just go away from Haven City. Make Spargus City bigger and have the wasteland (change things around a bit though just for the fuck of it). Then add a similar snow area (Jak X had the icelands, so use that) and then have buggies there too. It'd be weird to get rid of zoomers, but maybe they could be used in smaller sections like that of the first game. I just think the buggies are cooler. As much as I love the first game, the formula for the newer ones is more unique and the platforming sections generally better than the original's. So you just need more of them. On PS4.

2. Okami: Haven't really thought of how to do this one at all. But it'd be cool. On PS4/Xbox One preferrably.

3. Beyond Good & Evil: Had a really awesome world and an interesting collection of mechanics. A bigger sequel that built on the foundation of the first one could be pretty awesome.

4. Timesplitters: Would love to play this online. This is more my kind of multiplayer FPS than the stuff releasing nowadays.

5. Pyschonauts: My least favorite of the games on this list, but if they could make the platforming control less shittily like some have suggested, it would be awesome to revisit. The characters and worlds were super cool and unique.

I thought about Syphon Filter, but asking for another stealth/action third person shooter with a cover system seems like a bad idea. If "Ico/SotC" is a series, I wouldn't mind another one of them either!
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:10 am

I think Okami would be great on the Vita, but a PS4 game would be great too. I need to go back to that game, I loved what I was playing.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:56 am

An Okami with less handholding, updated graphics and a big open world would be amazing...
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:13 am

As great as Okami on Vita would be, the last place some cult series needs to reappear is on a platform with an install base as small as the Vita. Less handholding is a good call too.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:12 pm

1. Timesplitters - I really don't even need a new game. If they just gave me an HD version of Timesplitters 2 or Future Perfect with online multiplayer, I'd be a happy camper.

2. Super Mario RPG - I know they make the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi games... but a proper sequel to this on 3DS would be incredible. Bring back Geno and Mallow!

3. Star Wars Pod Racing - I've been playing a lot of Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed on Vita this past week while I was traveling. That game is so awesome and I started thinking about older racing games that I really liked. I would want a new Diddy Kong Racing, but they did that... and fucked it up. Maybe the new Star Wars movie will have pod racing in it so Lucas will have an excuse to make another one of these. I loved the N64. High speed racing with no bullshit rubber band or weapons. Just pure racing and I love it.

4. Pokemon Snap - How awesome would this be on the Wii U with gamepad support. I'm sure they'd fuck it up and make the motion controls mandatory, but with all the new Pokemon now, they could really make a huge game. I'd play it.

5. Get Force Gemini - This is my placeholder for all Rare N64 games. Remember when they made a bunch of awesome games? Do they even exist anymore? M$ ruined this company. Either way, Get Force Gemini was such an ambitious game at the time. Like Timesplitters, I don't think they even need a sequel, but a nice HD remake would be neat.
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:16 pm

Considering that Crytek has already given that fan-made Timesplitters game their blessing, I don't think they're planning to bring that game back any time soon
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:10 pm

Why must you shit on my hopes and dreams with your logic? Haha
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:48 pm

Top Five Older Generation Games/Series You'd Resurrect  Hopes_10
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:47 pm

I too would just love an HD Timesplitters game if they're not going to give us a new one. I have a score to settle with Mr. Big and Bad Ass Cyborg.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:19 pm

1. Lunar. I'd love to see a true console follow-up from Game Arts for Lunar and Lunar 2, which are still among my favorite games ever.

2. Valkyrie Profile. This was the best Enix series that wasn't Dragon Quest. I'd definitely be down for Valkyrie Profile: Hrist.

3. Sakura Wars. Hopefully now that Sega owns Atlus and is supposedly giving Atlus free run of its IPs this will get made at some point.

4. Breath of Fire. A REAL console BoF and not the pay-to-win mockery Capcom is calling Breath of Fire 6.

5. SaGa Frontier.

Damn, this thread depresses the hell out of me.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:58 am

I always wanted to play Valkyrie Profile but could never find copies of it. Did it ever show up on PSN?
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:08 pm

Krubixcube wrote:I always wanted to play Valkyrie Profile but could never find copies of it. Did it ever show up on PSN?

Nope. It is available for PSP as well as PS1, but the PSP is also disc-only. The PSP version is cheap and easy to find. The PS1 version, however, ranks not far below Suikoden II in terms of rarity and price for PS1 games. I'm glad I bought mine brand new in 2000 for $30. I skipped Chrono Cross for Valkyrie Profile. It's an awesome game where you have to break the rules to get the best ending.

The sequel on PS2 is good and easy to find, although the PS1 game is better.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down