The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Movies You've Watched Recently

+18
Rainjar
chocobot
Motinator
TripOpt55
ajapam
BretBaber
Methane_Max
pspiddy
Captain N
Nephilimi
AlexC-25
Krubixcube
Keith_Games
volvocrusher
avidacridjam
b.b.hagen
Bannen
TheMatt
22 posters

Page 8 of 34 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 21 ... 34  Next

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 8 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:49 am

I will put up a new category for you guys and you can just make the topics as you feel you should for the movie one. I was kind of thinking a TV club topic would be fun too where we pick something on Netflix to watch and watch a couple episodes a week and discuss them. All work through a series together. Would people join in on that too? Not sure people enjoy TV as much as movies. Was thinking of making the category a Movie and TV club (just as a category in the non-gaming discussion below general). There'd be a little more going on in it then. Thoughts?
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 8 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by TheMatt Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:05 pm

I just saw This is the End. Really stupid, but definitely one of the funniest movies I've seen in a while. Had me laughing constantly throughout the entire movie.
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:56 am

alright, spiddy, we'll talk and figure thsi out. PM me your e-mail or facebook or something.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:19 pm

Don't know if there are any Barnes & Noble shoppers here but their stores (online, too) has Criterion Collection dvds and blu-rays on sale for 50% off until July 29.

This morning, after I had my truck's a/c fixed, I went by the local store and purchased The Red Shoes, Black Narcissus and The Life & Death of Colonel Blimp. They're 3 of the greatest British films of the 1940s and I wanted to go out of the store with some pattern in the choices. There's so many that I want. I'll probably go back for another title or two (or three) before the sale is up.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:08 pm

Saw This is the End also this week. Fucking hilarious. Now I want a movie like that every ten years or so that has a bunch of the biggest celebrities play themselves in a crazy scenario.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:44 pm

@spiddy: if they have a good print of hte film stock, film is infinitely more hi-def than hi-def so it can potentially look a lot better. That said, it's kidn of funny considering the sound tech is still shit so I see some really beautiful scenes from the new print of 7 Samurai (which is totally worth it) that look like they were shot yesterday and hte sound is still awful =p.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:17 am

All home video businesses have to deal with the quality of the prints they use for hi-def transfers; Criterion isn't alone in this but they're not fucking around with their blu-rays.

Seven Samurai was the first blu-ray upgrade I purchased and it is without a doubt the best I've seen it look on home video. I've owned the previous 2 DVD versions that Criterion put out and there's no way they look as good as this, mostly because the film was restored again. The print was cleaned up better, the aspect ratio was fixed (not that picture-boxing from the 2006 3-disc release, which was otherwise awesome; the blu-ray ports all of its extras).

DVD Beaver, a dvd/blu-ray reference website that I frequent a lot, has an extensive review of Seven Samurai's blu-ray and with comparison shots between all the versions. Here's a link: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare7/sevensamurai.htm

I've only bought 6 blu-rays of theirs so far but I've rented many others (Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line, Cronos, Heaven's Gate, to name a few) and they've all looked and sounded terrific.  

I'm holding on to some Criterion dvd titles due to the fact that some of them are out of print. I'm keeping some even though I know their high-def upgrades are worth it. Some (like The Rules of the Game) I keep because the artwork is completely different even if the content looks better. I understand why you're reluctant but it's just something you'll have to do some research on for titles. That DVD Beaver website is an invaluable resource for comparison reviews. High Def Digest & The Digital Bits are good, too.

Amazon will have Criterion sales from time to time (hell, they had one last month) but the B&N sales come like twice a year and I think the next one is in November.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:26 am

They released In the Mood For Love on Blu Ray as well which I'm dying to get. Kicking myself because I bought the DVD not long before they brought it out.

Yeah, Criterion tends to really take their time with good transfers. I can go through my collection and let you know what of my pre-2000's stuff looks significantly better on blu ray if you want.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:21 am

Most/all of the DVD Beaver reviews have comparison shots. They really get into the techincal stuff. At times, some of that stuff seems geared toward home theater enthusiasts (and it is) but they make a compelling argument.

The Home Theater Forum is another good site. I think I've seen posts by the producers who work on dvds/blu-rays to explain their product and answer questions.

I want In The Mood For Love as well. The problem is, I wanted to spend $400 yesterday and I could only get by with $60. Sad
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:51 pm

Rewatched the Cowboy Bebop movie...not a great movie, but it was such a great show I don't mind getting an extended episode. The pacing really falls apart in the last act though.

I'm still pissed they haven't released 2046 on Blu-Ray yet, one of my favorite movies.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:14 am

Pacific Rim kicks all kinds of ass. Loved every minute of it. See it in 3D, on an IMAX screen if possible.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:00 pm

Not too long ago I watched the movie Jeff, Who Lives At Home. It's a comedy, but I'd say in the end it is more a drama. Jason Segel is awesome as always, and Ed Helms does a great job too. It's nice seeing actors that you only see in comedies pull off some drama. I knew it was going to be a great movie when it opened with Jason's character referencing the movie Signs. I'd recommend it to anyone wanting to watch a movie similar to Will Ferrell's Everything Must Go.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:04 am

I find comedy actors usually do drama really well. Don't know why the transition goes a lot smoother one way than the other.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:30 am

For some reason I've always thought actors/actresses that can make people laugh are some of the best actors. Their job is to make you laugh, and if you laugh than they did their job perfectly. Seems harder to deliver a funny line than it is to deliver a serious line.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:54 pm

I watched that with my mum and sister like a month ago. I agree, it wasn't what I was expecting but I enjoyed it.

Finally watched Thor, Captain America and, last night, The Avengers. I think watching the origins paid off. Just a grand superhero good time
Motinator
Motinator
Has a Bad Case of Headcrabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:47 am

I needed to watch the origin movies to get into The Avengers (which was awesome) but i thought Thor and Captain America were pretty shit...minus a few good moments.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:41 pm

I have no interest in Thor or Captain America. Would have had no interest in The Avengers really if it wasn't for the man behind the cam JOSS MOTHA FUCKIN' WHEDON!!!!!!! I love him.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:44 pm

Lars and the Real Girl is great
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:39 am

i've watched little miss sunshine and I loved it. I have Lars in my instant queue and would love to watch it.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:41 am

The Superfreak bit in Little Miss Sunshine is one of the greatest scenes I have ever seen in a movie. Fucking hilarious while giving the ultimate middle finger to those stupid child pageants.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:13 pm

Yeah my girlfriend showed me the trailer, looks nuts.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:04 am

Because we talked about Lars, I decided I'd watch it yesterday. It was a good movie. I figured it was a comedy, but it really wasn't. Other than the initial "girlfriend" introduction being funny due to awkwardness, it never really had any funny moments. I'm gonna have to check and see if Netflix labeled it as a comedy. Definitely a straight up drama in my eyes. Good movie, but the real attention needs to go to Ryan Gosling for a really great performance. Good movie, great performance. I gave it 3 stars out of 5.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 34 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 21 ... 34  Next