The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Movies You've Watched Recently

+18
Rainjar
chocobot
Motinator
TripOpt55
ajapam
BretBaber
Methane_Max
pspiddy
Captain N
Nephilimi
AlexC-25
Krubixcube
Keith_Games
volvocrusher
avidacridjam
b.b.hagen
Bannen
TheMatt
22 posters

Page 9 of 34 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 21 ... 34  Next

Go down

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 9 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by Krubixcube Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:24 am

yeah most definitely not a comedy. I enjoyed it more I think knowing that going in. Definitely one of those movies that is easily colored by expectations (like In Bruges HORRIBLE trailer etc)
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 9 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by avidacridjam Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:53 pm

Nice. True, you can't go wrong with McQueen but I prefer the remake of Thomas Crown Affair.

I went back to Barnes & Noble and snatched 2 more Criterion blu-rays from the sale.

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 9 51-JrnmWDLL._SY300_Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 9 51NHPhFrXdL._SY300_

I'll probably go back within the next week. I'd like to get all of their Terrance Malick titles (Badlands, Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line) or all of the Hitchcocks (The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, The Man Who Knew Too Much). I'm gonna be so fucking broke real quick.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:17 pm

Watched Cool Runnings last night. Totally holds up. What a classic.
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:48 am

Cool Runnings? Good heavens, I haven't seen that since my family rented it when it came out for rental. I barely remember anything about it.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:01 am

Finally watched The Master...definitely the weakest PTA film. I still found it very intriguing but I think a big part of that is I just like PTA. Kind of like if you really like a band you'll listen to their weaker stuff and still get into it.

Had some really interesting themes and characters, the acting was fantastic I just felt like it didn't have that moment where everything came together that reaffirmed all the themes that had been building. I don't know though, what did you guys think?
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:26 am

It`s a hard film to nail down because it never makes clear about what it wants to say about the relationship between the 2 male leads. Anderson said in one interview that the amount of improvisation increased during production and that he made his decisions in the editing room and it shows. I still find it fascinating (and Phoenix is a marvel) but it remains an elusive film by design.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:43 am

Yeah, PTA films have always had that level of improv but usually feel driven by a purpose that kind of floats above it (the heavy capitalism message in There Will Be Blood for instance), but this one felt a bit more of a slave to that influence and now that you've mentioned that it definitely comes across.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by KillaAssassin11 Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:33 am

Just rewatched Apocalypse Now. Forgot how good that movie was. I enjoy going back and watching the classics.
KillaAssassin11
KillaAssassin11
Asks for the "Guile" at the Barbershop

http://www.unknownconnection.com

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:06 pm

I prefer Apocalypse Wow
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:03 am

I have the Redux cut but I haven't watched it yet. have you?
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:10 am

I've heard. I got it on DVD a few years ago for under $10 just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe I'll do it next week.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:18 am

I may be alone in this but I prefer the theatrical cut. Coppolla may prefer the Redux but most of the additional scenes add little to the narrative. They're interesting expansions at best (the French plantation scene; fascinating but brings the pace to a halt. I just want to get to Kurtz) and goofball moments at worst (the theft of Duvall's surfboard; the Playmates scene).
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:38 pm

I did no such thing.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:24 pm

I got all three Jurassic Park movies on blu-ray for my birthday. Just finished watching it. Ol' Stevey is up to his usual magic again. That man sure knows how to build up anticipation and excitement. Best director of all time. Just an amazing man. I'd love to see him tackle a straight up horror movie, because I think he'd do a swell job. My girlfriend was jumping watching the movie today, and it's a movie aimed at kids.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:27 pm

Spielberg would be better if he wasn't obsessed with childhood and the family...but yeah, in terms of craft he is very good (most of the time).
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:19 am

pspiddy wrote:Indiana Jones trilogy blu-ray is $33 at Amazon. It also includes a fourth blu-ray that won't be mentioned.

LOL

The fifth blu-ray is great stuff, though. Especially if you're a fan of "Raiders".
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:25 am

That first Jurassic Park film was pretty intense the first time I saw it. The first T-Rex scene is crazy and I remember how my best friend at one point hugged me in fear like he was my date.

Spielberg dropped the family heavy fare (or he didn't make those movies as much) after Hook and the one-two punch of JP and Schindler's List. It's funny how people consider him to be family-friendly and in JP he put those two kids in constant fucking jeopardy.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:20 pm

Just finished watching Heat. It was a damn good film, the action scenes were brilliant and the characters ended up being better developed than I expected. I have to admit I wasn't really grabbed by it until about half way through thanks to one scene.
Rainjar
Rainjar
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by KillaAssassin11 Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:12 am

Just watched The Wolverine. Started off really slow for me but did end up getting better. Overall I was a little disappointed with it though. Not sure why but I expected better.
KillaAssassin11
KillaAssassin11
Asks for the "Guile" at the Barbershop

http://www.unknownconnection.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:21 am

Watched Seven Psychopaths. I seem to recall there were a lot of In Bruges fans here, and its' the same director, very similar blend of humor and drama. Some really good performances.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:26 am

I prefer In Bruges but it was still a lot of fun. An interesting take on movie violence.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:28 pm

Saw World War Z last night. Really weak, don't recommend it at all.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 34 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 21 ... 34  Next