The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Movies You've Watched Recently

+18
Rainjar
chocobot
Motinator
TripOpt55
ajapam
BretBaber
Methane_Max
pspiddy
Captain N
Nephilimi
AlexC-25
Krubixcube
Keith_Games
volvocrusher
avidacridjam
b.b.hagen
Bannen
TheMatt
22 posters

Page 21 of 34 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 27 ... 34  Next

Go down

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 21 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by Krubixcube Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:28 am

I actually haven't seen Platoon. Funnily enough.

The first Star Trek was...alright. Into Darkness was probably my top disappointment of the year and I love sci-fi.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 21 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by BretBaber Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:39 am

It's logical to say that I'm in no hurry to watch the second.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:57 pm

You're Next is available for rental this week and if you're in the mood for a stylish but old-school approach of horror, it's fan-fucking-tastic.

avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by avidacridjam Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:48 am

I have that blu-ray set, too. Love 'em.

Each film has 5 discs (2 blu-rays, 3 dvds): BRs for the film, the "Appendices" on 2 of the dvds (same as the Extended Editions) but the 3rd dvd has a fly-on-the-wall style documentary (on the making of the films) that was on the second release of the Extended Cuts on dvd. I still haven't watched it but I read that it's pretty damn good.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:40 am

I remember marathoning the extra-features of the LoTR extended editions and enjoying almost all of it. Really really interesting stuff. I especially loved all the bits about Moria and the Balrog. Such a cool idea for his sound design and whatnot.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:01 am

you know who does excellent director's commentary? Ridley Scott. I usually don't listen to a ton of commentaries but the one he did for Blade Runner is good (also the extras for Blade Runner are also AWESOME)
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:17 am

pspiddy wrote:
I honestly don't remember the dvds being this good. But I may have had the first printing like avid said.

There's the obvious upgrade in picture/audio quality. I think the Extended Editions were very impressive for their time and love letter for fans. If there's one way the blu-rays can't match, its in the packaging. The case for the box set looks nice but I liked the worn-book design for the dvd individual releases. The inserts are pretty much the same. A minor quibble to be sure.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:28 am

Ridley Scott films usually get the best treatment come home video. Some personal favorites are Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Alien and, of course, Blade Runner.

pspiddy, I have a 5-disc (hd-dvd) set for Blade Runner. I'm pretty sure the blu-ray version (similar specs to hd-dvd) is still in print (and it may be down in price) although it was re-released last year for its 30th anniversary. Amazon has it down for $15. Quality/quanity wise, it's a fucking monster as well. You get 5 cuts of the film: Final Cut, Theatrical, International, 1992 Director's Cut and the Workprint. There's this fantastic 2 1/2 hour documentary called Dangerous Days that's one of the best making-of docs I've ever seen and plenty of other stuff as well. It's so stacked I don't think I've finished it.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:33 am

I've heard the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven pretty much saved the film (I haven't seen it myself though).

I have the 5 disc for blu ray, got it for I think $20ish. It's an awesome deal for the price and like avid said the documentary on it is excellent. I THINK the different editions of hte film have different commentaries as well but not 100% on that. The video quality/sound is good as well from what I remember.

Does anyone have the blu ray for In The Mood For Love?
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:39 am

Oh, yeah. KOH Director's Cut is the only version you should watch. The theatrical cut is mangled and pointless.

Does anyone have the blu ray for In The Mood For Love?

Yup.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:57 am

=D

Is the In The Mood For Love blu ray worth the jump? I already have the criterion DVD...
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:24 pm

pspiddy, I saw G.I. Joe 2 a while back voluntarily. Not sure if I'm a better person for it but there you go. I'm not that highbrow; there's room for trash as well. Wink

Krubix, the blu-ray keeps most of the extras but loses some. Dvdbeaver.com's review explains:

We lose some supplements from the Criterion DVD (but gain others). Gone is the interactive essay by film scholar Gina Marchetti on In the Mood for Love, the Photo gallery, the biographies of key cast and crew on the DVD edition and the liner notes portion with the essay by film critic Li Cheuk-to, and director’s statement.

We keep the deleted scenes, with commentary by Wong, the director's very short film Hua yang de nian hua (2000), archival interview with Wong and a “cinema lesson” given by the director at the 2001 Cannes Film Festival, the Toronto International Film Festival press conference from 2000, with Maggie Cheung Man-yuk and Tony Leung Chiu-wai and the Trailers and TV spots.

New are two excellent new interviews with critic Tony Rayns, one about the film and the other about the soundtrack, featuring musical cues - lasting over 1/2 an hour in total. The liner notes have a booklet featuring an essay by novelist and film critic Steve Erickson and the Liu Yi-chang story that provided thematic inspiration for the film.

Video wise, the colors and dark blacks of the photography benefit from the high-def transfer. Audio is nice as well. The blu-ray is pricey (like they all are) but you could always wait for a sale from Amazon, Criterion's website (they have flash sales every now and then) or Barnes & Noble (which is what I do, since there's a store in my area).
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:21 pm

Just saw American Hustle today. Wasn't particularly impressed with it. It was a good movie and all, but best picture? Not so sure about that. Jennifer Lawrence was delightful as always though. Amy Adams was also pretty great.

The Way, Way Back is still the best movie I've seen this year.
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:46 pm

The Hobbit Extended Edition has some awesome special features as well. Every single one I've watched has been a pure delight. The extended edition movie only adds about 10 minutes, but the scenes that are there are fun. One of the dwarves thinks one of the elves is pretty hot in Rivendell, only to find out it was a man! All the dwarves give him hell for that. Also, the goblin king has a fun little musical number that kind of reminds you of Danny Elfman/Oogie Boogie. Only downfall is the lack of extra scenes, and I was really hoping the Gollum scene would at least be extended but it wasn't Sad
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:29 pm

Saw Wolf of Wall Street last night. It was completely insane and totally sensationalized to anything that could actually happen... but god damn, was it an entertaining movie. I think it was a little long at just under 3 hours, but there were some pretty unforgettable moments--some that were downright hysterical. I don't think its one you need to see in a theater, but its a must watch as a rental. But its also one that I'll never watch again, mainly because of the length. Who has time for a 3 hour movie?
TheMatt
TheMatt

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:11 pm

You make time for it. Who has time to play video games for hours on end? You'd be surprised.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:17 pm

I just mean I don't really rewatch movies... or replay games for that matter. I have so much stuff that I want to watch/play/do that I usually don't let myself go back to stuff I've already seen/played. Obviously I made time for a 3 hour movie... I did last night. Haha.

Also, I long for the days where I was able to play video games for hours on end. I'm lucky to play for an hour straight these days.
TheMatt
TheMatt

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:24 pm

Okay, you guys are going to give me shit for this, but I finally got around to seeing Temple of Doom and Robocop. My mom got me the Indy movies on Blu-Ray for Christmas (a real nice surprise) and I've only seen Raiders. Loved it, even more than Raiders. Loved how dark it was and how it all flowed together, there wasn't any jumping from one country to another like Raiders, just one journey and I dug that. Still need to see Last Crusade, hopefully can do that soon.

Robocop was also awesome. Had no clue it was that violent, which I loved. The part man part machine stuff was really subtle, but well done. Was bizarre to see the dad from That 70's Show be the villain. The abrupt ending and newscasting stuff were a little bizarre, but I really liked the first while the second did a good job of providing exposition and a couple of laughs. My only beef was that blatant product placement for that car.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 am

I`d give you shit for not liking those films, not for finally seeing them. Some like to trash Temple of Doom for not being like Raiders and yet that`s one of things I love about it. Plus, unlike most, I like Kate Capshaw.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:12 am

I can definitely see how people hate Willey Scott and Shorty and even though they weren't perfect, I still loved them.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:32 am

I haven't seen the original Indiana Jones films for years...oughto go find them. Thanks for the reminder!
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:33 am

I only watch Crystal Skull.
TheMatt
TheMatt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 34 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 27 ... 34  Next