The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Now Playing

+8
avidacridjam
pspiddy
Krubixcube
SanAndreasX
TheMatt
chocobot
Miraculous Kaydybug
ajapam
12 posters

Page 13 of 34 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 23 ... 34  Next

Go down

Now Playing - Page 13 Empty Re: Now Playing

Post by ajapam Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:45 pm

Yeah, definitely pick it up if you've never played it. I feel like people who say it's the best Zelda game won't like the remake, but people who didn't play it or who had issues with it will
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:35 pm

I picked up Majoras Mask too. I actually got it for free, because I preorderd the New 3DS Zelda bundle from Best Buy and they canceled it... so they gave me a $50 credit for the whoopsies. I decided against getting a New 3DS, so I'm sticking with my OG 3DS.

I realized I never beat Ocarina of Time on 3DS, so I picked up my save from years ago. Just beat the Water Temple today. Even with the touch screen boots. Fuck that place.
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Poor water temple gets so much hate. I hope Zelda Wii-u has nothing but water temples Smile
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:48 pm

I love the Water Temple. In my top 5 dungeons
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:09 am

I beat Little Big Planet 3 yesterday. Haven't played in a while because I've been waiting to play it with my cousin (we seek out all the bubbles, 2 sets of eyes are better than 1) and all of my holiday games. Apparently I was only one level away from finishing the game when I stopped, because I beat one level and it took me to the final boss. It's definitely a short game, but all of the extra items and new sack-folk make the game that is there better than the rest. i remember the game getting a horrible review because of glitches, but the only 2 glitches I encountered were sometimes getting kicked out of my party (not even sure if it was a game related fault) and on the very last boss for some reason I couldn't see Sackboy until I died with him. I very much enjoyed the game, and hopefully they come out with some DLC to utilize the new sacks.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:45 pm

Reports of glitches in LBP3 seem pretty widespread, so I think it is a legitimate gripe. I mostly played the game singleplayer, but from what I understand a lot of the glitches were in create mode and online multiplayer.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:09 am

Wouldn't call any of it's reviews bad either, several mixed ones, but nothing saying the game is bad. Just not that it's anything amazing
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:23 am

Only real online I did was with my cousin and I never really do the creator so I can't report on that. IGN gave it a 6.8, so I'm mainly referring to that review. Actually just went and read a lot of the comments on there and I'd say 95% of the people are on there are disagreeing with the score. Was it EGM that used to have 3 or 4 people review a game? Sometimes I think IGN's ridiculous reviews would benefit from that.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:55 am

6.8 still isn't bad, it's above average. And of course there's going to be 95% disagreeing with him. Because 100% of the people clicking on that article want to know about LBP3 and if it doesn't get above an 8, fanboys are going to flood it with dissent. This isn't a representation of gamers, it's a representation of people mad because their precious video game they decided they loved at E3 didn't get as high praise as something else they decided they hated when it was first announced.

And even if 95% of all gamers disagree, so what? Reviewers are gamers too, they don't need to fall in line with what everyone else thinks. It doesn't discredit their opinion because at the end of the day, that's all it is. An opinion. One that in no way, shape or form affects any other player's enjoyment of the game unless they make it do so.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:34 am

In general I agree a 6.8 isn't a bad score, but IGN's scoring over the years sure makes it seem like one since they generally score things on a 7-10 scale. Unless things have changed since I stopped really looking at their reviews much. Even if they did, years of misusing the scale certainly means some could look at a 6.8 as bad and I don't blame them. IGN did that to themselves.

I do think it is neat when some places have multiple reviewers, but sometimes that means shorter reviews which can be less informative. So that can go either way. With the web you can always hit up Metacritic which if nothing else is good for gathering a bunch of varied reviews to check out.

I don't know what the comments are like for this review. I personally know a bunch of people that were super-hyped for LBP3 and really disappointed with how sloppy it was. Particularly some big creator friends of mine. I generally find comments sections to be a mess, but I don't agree they are just fanboys of one side. Just as often it could be filled with people who haven't played it saying the score is justified. And I comment on reviews in some places and am generally rational I think.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:38 am

Yeah, I probably was too rash in judging that comment section, but I still think we can all agree that a comment section on IGN should not be used as an accurate portrayal of what people think.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:42 am

6.8 isn't perceived as an average score. It annoys me because I know there are people that don't read into games or reviews, they just scroll to the score and see a 6.8 out of 10 and think, "Well that's a D+, I'll pass on that shitter." Ultimately fans of the series won't be swayed by the reviews, but parents or unsure newcomers might be.

Went back and watched her review and she said the glitches were single player related, and said that the creator worked great. I did have problems of getting kicked out of games online with my cousin, but only a couple of times, not really any different from other online games I've played.

Here's my mini review...

Pros
- Boost boots
- New Sacks
- Explorable hub worlds
- Charming levels and music. I really liked the malt level.

Cons
- New sacks aren't utilized enough, their levels are great so it's a missed opportunity
- Never really saw a level using them all like they did at E3, but I didn't play the side levels yet
- Shorter than the other games
- In hub world, the "guide me" option doesn't work that well
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:58 am

I really only mentioned what I heard about glitches because that is one of those things where you can luck out and not run into them much and them still be a big issue for other players. I can't speak for the reviewer on IGN, but I do believe my friends when they say they've had a rough go of it with the game.

I think your mini-review there lines up pretty well with my thoughts. I think how short it was maybe bothered me more than you and I think they really missed some opportunities with the other characters like you mentioned. They were so underutilized.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:01 am

I think you are really overestimating how much IGN influences these people's buying habits. An IGN review dissuading someone just tells me they were looking for an excuse to not spend $60 in the first place and most likely would have found a different one if so. Especially since it came out the same week as Pokemon, Smash, and Far Cry with the usual slew of fall games preceding it.

IGN isn't out to get LBP3 or hurt its sales, their review problems are that they're too forgiving on other games which just so happen to be from big companies paying for their ads. That's not a two way street and arguing for them to go softer on games you like isn't the answer. I want to see more review upsets, that means we're getting opinions rather than advertisements from reviews
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:33 am

What's the point of reading a review if it isn't meant to persuade/dissuade you unless you're already a fan of the content?  For the people that have no idea about the franchise it could be enough to sway them.  It's the same thing if you were hungry for some pizza, and you were thinking about going to this one place you haven't tried and you asked me if it was good and I replied "It was average.  The crust was good but the sauce lacked flavor and they go real short on toppings."  With that review, you might look else where to spend your money on pizza despite thinking you wanted it.  

I like to see what IGN reviews games, even if it isn't a game I want or desire, and I'll even check out the comments.  Because of where I work I try to learn a little more about all games, not just the ones I'm interested in.  Not everyone that visits IGN is the typical gamer (fanboy or the type of gamer you find on this forum), it could be a child new to games or a parent looking to buy a system and wondering which to buy.

Trip, it being short did bother me, but it might have felt less short to me because I started it up and got to the end, replayed the a lot of the levels with my cousin, and then a couple months later came back and finally finished it. So I can't really remember how long it was, but I do know it was shorter than all of the other LBP games.

I've only ever created one LBP level and that was the first game. It was me and my friend just taking things my cousin said that we found funny and made a level making fun of him. They all just seem like too much work for me, but I'm glad others do it and get use out of it. The only game I ever really made levels for was Timesplitters, and that was just because I wanted to make a level that you could fold in half and everything was the same on both sides to stop screen watchers.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:46 am

No, it's not the same thing. That's a friend you trust's opinion versus a review written by a person you don't know whose reviews are often debatable. Those children and parents you're talking about, they're not going by IGN. The kid's going by what his friends suggest while the parent asks someone who knows games.

And I'm sorry, but the idea that one review at IGN among dozens others on the internet will hurt sales to any noticeable degree is ludicrous. Look at Destiny, it had more mixed reviews than LBP, but it's the best selling new IP ever. Why? Because Activision marketed the crap out of it.

A dozen or two people not buying it for one review I'll give you. Because we're talking about people who care just about IGN's review over everyone else' on the internet that would have bought the game if not for that. That's a really insignificant number. And I have no idea why that's worth getting upset over.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:00 am

I think the power of a review is a lot bigger than what you think they are. Especially for a game like Little Big Planet, that doesn't get a lot of attention or marketing a review could be the only knowledge someone has on the game. When I first started really playing video games I used reviews as a guide in the games I bought, I don't think it's too crazy to think that there are others out there still doing that.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:02 am

BretBaber wrote:I've asked people from other cities what the best pizza is, so it wasn't meant as just a friend's opinion. I think the power of a review is a lot bigger than what you think they are.  Especially for a game like Little Big Planet, that doesn't get a lot of attention or marketing a review could be the only knowledge someone has on the game.  When I first started really playing video games I used reviews as a guide in the games I bought, I don't think it's too crazy to think that there are others out there still doing that.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:19 am

I think the hope is even someone relying on reviews will look at more than a single review from IGN. Even if you just google, you will get a slew of results. I'd tend to think the number of people that would not buy something solely over an IGN review score would be small, but I guess it is impossible to know.

I will say I have taken issue with a single review score in the past. In the end it is just someone else's opinion and I have to respect they might differ from my own. I think it bothers me more that some place like IGN is considered a pre-eminent source for game reviews, because I feel they do a poor job all-around.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:25 am

We're still talking about one single review amongst dozens and if you tell me all reviews have a real impact on it, I'll give you that. One single review, however, even from the biggest site? That's blowing it out of proportion. Because I'm willing to bet the vast majority who see that IGN review and would let it dissuade them from buying the game are going to compare it to other reviews. And if they're still dissuaded, either they didn't want it that bad and something else minor could have dissuaded or it's a pattern of less than stellar reviews, at which point it's on the devs.

And even if it does, it still rubs me the wrong way to bring this up as an issue. I review games and I don't like to be told what score a game deserved, especially if you're bringing up how it can hurt a sales. Factoring that in would be biased.

I got crap for giving SR4 a 4/5 because it was glitchy by a guy who said I was full of crap because he didn't run into any glitches. I loved SR4, that I still have it a good score despite it's glitches is a testament to how good of a game it was. And I wanted to tell everyone that the game was incredible and they should buy it. But I didn't, I gave it the score I thought it deserved.

Last edited by volvocrusher on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:30 am; edited 2 times in total
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:27 am

I know people can check reviews elsewhere, but isn't ign the biggest of all gaming websites? Prior to 1up dying it is the only site I visit because they're always updating. By biggest I don't mean best, but it probably gets the most traffic of all gaming sites.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:30 am

Noticed I messed up on that quote. Meant to edit.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:52 am

Yeah it or Gamespot is I think is the "biggest." I guess my point is of a potential 1 million customers (or whatever). There are some that will just buy it because they like LBP. Some will see it in a store and just go, "This looks cool, I'll buy it." Some will write it off because you play as a knit character. Or it looks too kiddie. Some will look at their favorite site's review. Some will base it on friend's reviews. Some will look at a number of sites or metacritic. Some will watch Youtube Let's plays. So the number that think IGN's score is the be all end all seems small to me. Even if they are the biggest website. That is my opinion though.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:02 am

Played 4 hours of Alien: Isolation last night. If you like survival horror and the first Alien film, at least give it a rental. Maybe it's worth $30. One thing is for sure: it truly is scary when it wants to be.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:54 am

I will personally send a copy of Colonial Marines to every Alien fan that doesn't at least try Isolation. Because that's what people like that deserve
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:01 am

Got Grow Home. It's a neat little platformer. Controls like DK King of Swing where each trigger's used to grab onto a wall and you use that to climb. But it has a huge exploration focus and is about finding a way to the next area. A lot of fun, hope it comes to consoles for those of you who don't PC game. Definitely worth checking out.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:33 pm

I tried the closed beta for Heroes of the Storm... which is Blizzard's version of DOTA 2. I played a few of the tutorial matches and I really enjoyed it. Its a little faster paced than DOTA and it seems like it encourages offense a lot more. I found myself constantly using abilities. Mana regenerates a lot faster than it does in DOTA so that was fun. I'll have to keep playing, but it doesn't feel as deep as DOTA was. I'm not sure if I"ll stick with it for a long time but its fun to play a game like this with the actual Blizzard characters.
TheMatt
TheMatt

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:31 am

Tried out the new Resogun expansion. Really love the Protector mode. Commando is a nice change of pace too.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:44 pm

I have to try out the new Resogun stuff. I am nowhere near as good as some of you guys... but I still enjoy the game.

I tried an early access game called Darkest Dungeon on Steam. I saw the Giant Bomb guys playing it and it looked pretty neat. I played it for a few hours last night and it was pretty difficult but a lot of fun. Its a dungeon crawling turn based RPG... it has permadeath for characters... and when characters are in dungeons too long they get stressed out and crazy stuff happens to them. There are a lot of other systems in place that you have to keep track of. It seems like a pretty complete game for something in early access. If you're looking for something to play, I'd say give it a shot.
TheMatt
TheMatt

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:20 am

Why is Majora's Mask 3D on the e-store and not OOT? What gives, Nintendo?!

I take it back! It is on the store! Welp! Guess I know what I'll be playing now!
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 34 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 23 ... 34  Next