The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Top 5 Hardest Games You've Ever Played

+5
TripOpt55
avidacridjam
volvocrusher
SanAndreasX
Captain N
9 posters

Go down

Top 5 Hardest Games You've Ever Played Empty Top 5 Hardest Games You've Ever Played

Post by Captain N Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:21 am

Since I wont be here tomorrow/tuesday (going to the hospital to see my doc) I thought I'd post this earlier than usual. Like the title says, list the top 5 hardest games you've ever played. Not sure how this could work, you could either list them by system or all in one list. It can be because a game was hard or because of some hard parts.
Captain N
Captain N
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Hardest Games You've Ever Played Empty Re: Top 5 Hardest Games You've Ever Played

Post by SanAndreasX Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:45 pm

Let's see here... my top 5...

1. Ghosts 'n' Goblins
2. Demon's Souls
3. Any of the old Wizardry games
4. PC-Hack/Nethack (no relation to the console-based .hack games)
5. Kid Icarus
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Hardest Games You've Ever Played Empty Re: Top 5 Hardest Games You've Ever Played

Post by volvocrusher Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:34 pm

Games I had fun playing
1. Elite Beat Agents- So to unlock the two hardest difficulties, you have to beat the ones before it. I still haven't unlocked the hardest difficulty and I've been playing this game off and on for six and a half years. Part of the reason I got an XL was so I could maybe unlock that hardest difficulty. Damn you Jumping Jack Flash!
2. Castlevania 3- I'm sure there's harder games on the NES, but this is the pinnacle of 3rd gen difficulty I've played. Damn those stairs.
3. Ninja Gaiden- I spent enough hours playing this game that with any other action series I would have beat it. Here I made it to the fourth level.
4. Halo 2 Legendary- I remember back when I had so few games I'd put in the time to beat this game on Legendary. Nowadays I wouldn't touch Legendary without someone to co-op with and I think 2 has the toughest Legendary.

Really the only ones worth mentioning IMO. May think of another later

Didn't have fun playing
1. Zelda 2- God damn this game.
2. Kid Icarus- Controls were too loose for pits that narrow. And those enemies who would summon all those floating guys.
3. Fallout New Vegas' Hardcore Mode- Way too much to keep track of for a game where for the most part challenge gets in the way of my fun. Worrying about sleeping/hunger/hydration and more realistic damage isn't what I play Fallout for.
4. Demon's Souls- If these games were tough but fair, I'd be fine. But getting killed by a dragon who came out of nowhere and losing all your souls. Yeah, that will get me to stop having fun because of the difficulty.
5. Pretty much any other NES game that isn't Mario, Mega Man, or Castlevania.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:55 pm

1. Super Ghouls & Ghosts. Had no idea about the series' legacy before I played it. Didn't leave me angry but flabbergasted.
2. Contra: Shattered Soldier. I was never good at this franchise, honestly, but I stopped with the franchise on this one.
3. Battletoads. I made it past that first obstacle course once and didn't last long enough to bask in my triumph.
4. Double Dragon (NES). That dumbass cave. Not so much hard but fucking unfair.
5. God of War, God Mode (Final Fight with Ares, specifically the 2nd phase with Kratos clones). I've never got past this point. Was so angry I took my frustration out on my brother, which also didn't turn out well.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:17 am

I like Avid's top three a lot. I'd add Friday the 13th on NES. Maybe I just had no idea what I was doing as a kid. Maybe it was broken... I don't know.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Krubixcube Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:26 am

I feel like your problems with Assassin's Creed was bad design, not necessarily difficulty.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:37 am

1. Star Ocean The Last Hope on chaos. EVERY OTHER dificulty setting on this game is really fucking easy for me, but Chaos I have trouble getting off the first planet its a fucking bitch.

2. Valkyrie Profile 2: Lenneth: FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK THE END GAME BOSSES!

3. The Last of Us: I think it kind of depends on how you play but some parts it can be a bitch if you want to conserve ammo.

I actually cant really think of any more. I dont find too many games actually too hard unless you want to count broken pieces of shit CoD BLOPs Declassified. That game was hard because it controlled like shit.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug
Sees Tetris Blocks EVERYWHERE

http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/stabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:49 am

I know I've played some difficult games but the only one I can remember right now was Shinobi for the PS2. It controlled well, but fuck me it was hard.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:26 am

I guess I make a distinction between difficulty and frustration. When I hear "difficult" think of a deliberately designed difficulty.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

True, but pattern recognition can be a good part of game design. Take any boss fight in a classic game. Those three stage boss fights, you dodge that, jump jump, hit. That kind of thing. You could call that learning the level so by the end you've mastered it. In other words, pattern recognition is absolutely designed.

Assassin's Creed was just frustrating because it didn't seem to follow its own rules. It wanted you to be sneaky but also gave you these free roaming elements that didn't mesh. That's frustrating. When every single enemy dies, but there's one enemy that randomly explodes that's not difficult, that's frustrating because it doesn't follow a rule that the player can learn.

By that definition, Shinobi would be difficult (given I haven't played it in a long time) but it's not random. Take a platformer like Rayman, the treasure levels. Those were all about memorizing the level until you got it, but it's well designed because that's the intention. If Rayman's levels moved at the same pace, but had a jump that was spaced wrong so that you couldn't do it, or the level design changed randomly, that would be frustrating because you can't learn it.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:53 pm

Says you. I'm typing from a keyboard, gramps. I see where you're coming from though. I still say it's badly designed. Stuff reacts in the same way, true, but well designed challenge is difficult, poorly designed challenge is frustrating. I think long story short, that's what it boils down to in my pretentious brain.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by chocobot Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:51 am

Kayshire Cat wrote:
I actually cant really think of any more. I dont find too many games actually too hard unless you want to count broken pieces of shit CoD BLOPs Declassified. That game was hard because it controlled like shit.
That reminds me when I was a kid and thought Superman 64 was the hardest game ever. I didn't know it was broken and pretty much the worst game ever. So sad...
chocobot
chocobot
Will Eat Lizard Tails to Improve Stamina

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down