The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Top 5 Worst Moments in Otherwise Awesome Games

+8
Miraculous Kaydybug
Captain N
pspiddy
ajapam
TripOpt55
volvocrusher
SanAndreasX
Krubixcube
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Top 5 Worst Moments in Otherwise Awesome Games Empty Top 5 Worst Moments in Otherwise Awesome Games

Post by Krubixcube Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:51 pm

This week I ask you to think of the most controller-shatteringly frustrating or just plain bad moments from otherwise excellent games. In order to be on the list it has to be a game that you personally really like, not one that is just generally well-praised.

My List:

1. Half Life 2 - The sand monster, box jumping fun section. Oh my god. Fuck this bit. Yeah, for pacing it was good to slow down but it slowed down to the speed of shit

2. Final Fantasy VII - Snowboarding. Not because it was frustrating (which it was that too) but just because it was so out of place. It was in an emotional part of the story and you're going to find Sephiroth and all the black cloaks and...snowboards? Eh? I mean, this was a game that had light hearted stuff injected in different parts of the game so well, but...not there guys.

3. Resident Evil 4 - Playing as Ashley. WHO THE FUCK WANTS TO PLAY AS ASHLEY?

4. Xenogears - Tower of Babel platforming bit. This was so frustrating I actually MAXED OUT the random encounters in the area. It was actually the reason I stopped my last play through. It was just so god damn frustrating.

5. Portal 2 - the bits where you're not in the tests and just "navigating". Now I LOVE me some Portal but having to look for the one spot of white wall a mile away was not a good time.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Worst Moments in Otherwise Awesome Games Empty Re: Top 5 Worst Moments in Otherwise Awesome Games

Post by SanAndreasX Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:18 pm

1. The Water Temple in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I have just one thing to say about the Water Temple:

Top 5 Worst Moments in Otherwise Awesome Games Tumblr_l8t5pxsbty1qdtfdbo1_500

2. The Fanatics' Tower in Final Fantasy VI. Well, before I figured out how to rig the whole thing. Keep in mind I played that game the first time back in the pre-WWW days. But yeah.

3. The Tower of Babel in Xenogears, as above.

4. Collecting the Triforce fragments - or rather, coming up with the money to pay Tingle to retrieve them - in Wind Waker.

5. The Desert of Death in Breath of Fire III. If you didn't pay careful attention to the navigation instructions you would pay dearly for it... after about 2 hours in-game.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Worst Moments in Otherwise Awesome Games Empty Re: Top 5 Worst Moments in Otherwise Awesome Games

Post by volvocrusher Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:46 pm

1. Malachor V (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2) - It's like the Mass Effect 3 ending in many ways. It comes out of nowhere, feels rushed, and leaves with a ship flying off in a really unsatisfying way. Except unlike ME3 which was 10 minutes, this was about two hours. The only good part was the second to last boss fight, everything else felt bad and was full with plot holes. A real shame because if it didn't stumble there to ruin it this would probably be my favorite game.

2. Mass Effect 3 Ending- I shouldn't need to say any more.

3. Cortana (Halo 3)- Those moments where Cortana would randomly jump in were annoying as fuck. The level Cortana took that to the next level, putting those in every three minutes with Flood annoyingly swarming in from everywhere was torture. Fuck that level

4. Lazarovic (Uncharted 2)- Fuck that boss fight.

5. Anything involving collecting X number of items- Whether it's in Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, or anything I'm forgetting, fuck whenever you have to just go around collecting shit.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:56 pm

That Half-Life 2 one basically defines this thread... Haha. Will make a list once I get on my computer.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:17 am

Triforce shards in Wind Waker. Go find maps, go find money, go find triforce pieces... ugh

Sandtraps in Half-Life 2. I love this game but... yeah

The library in Halo. Nonstop grey hallways that all look EXACTLY THE SAME

Cage battle in Resident Evil 4. I quit playing because of this stupid part.

Sea-doo in Uncharted. What the hell was that about?
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by SanAndreasX Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:37 pm

pspiddy wrote:Cool thread. RDR and GTA (or any given game that does it) water deaths. So I'm a badass who can't swim. Bullshit.

Ultima VIII was downright hilarious in that regard. Any puddle, no matter how small, would drown the Avatar.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain N Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:49 pm

You know, I always thought that Tingle was the guy who hid the Triforce shards because how come he is the only one who know where the fuck they are? That and the wallet size you get is only to fill his pockets, you know he must of made a deal with the Great Fairies to screw you over.

That's why after my first playthrough, I became wiser and went to find those charts and collect alot of rupees between dungeons, that way when it was time to actually find them, I would only be down to 3 or 2 shards to find.

Also, I never got the hate for the Water Temple in OoT, was it because of the way it's designed or is it because of have to equip the Iron Boots constantly? If that's the case, they fixed the item management in OoT3D where you can equip the boots via touchscreen without having to access a menu.

Last edited by Captain N on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Captain N
Captain N
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:50 pm

One thing that made it a lot easier was WW gave you a huge wallet. That almost made up for it. Almost
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain N Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:53 pm

Yes, but you know the reason for that bigger wallet was for filling Tingles pocket.
Captain N
Captain N

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:56 pm

1. Those fucking QTEs in Tomb Raider

2. EVERY TACKED ON VITA GIMMICK in Uncharted Golden Abyss

3. The Side Scrolling stages in Shadows of the Damned

4. The Off With Her Head mini-game in Alice Madness Returns

5. Combat in the first Mass Effect.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug
Sees Tetris Blocks EVERYWHERE

http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/stabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:58 pm

Do any of you guys wish for great games such as these they'd just release little patches to optionally skip over that shit. Like the developers admit "yeah...wasn't a great idea" and just make it much easier haha. Like the bit in half life 2, just have...a single hallway of it or something.

*sigh* that's not right...it changes the original but in second playthroughs I wish I could skip all of the things that people have listed here. I get you have to experience the shit of it once but dealing with it AGAIN *cries*
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:13 pm

Beating a game should always give a video game version of a scene selection.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:35 pm

YES!!!! Some games do that with chapter selects, but then it never has a way to seamlessly fast forward. Especially RPGs because grinding is required. Also, any RPG that doesn't come with New Game+...*shakes fist*.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:26 am

FUCK YES Uncharted GA needs a patch that removes that touch screen garbage more than anything
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:27 am

Or just a PS3 version...
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:28 am

That works too
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:45 am

Captain N wrote:You know, I always thought that Tingle was the guy who hid the Triforce shards because how come he is the only one who know where the fuck they are? That and the wallet size you get is only to fill his pockets, you know he must of made a deal with the Great Fairies to screw you over.

That's why after my first playthrough, I became wiser and went to find those charts and collect alot of rupees between dungeons, that way when it was time to actually find them, I would only be down to 3 or 2 shards to find.

Also, I never got the hate for the Water Temple in OoT, was it because of the way it's designed or is it because of have to equip the Iron Boots constantly? If that's the case, they fixed the item management in OoT3D where you can equip the boots via touchscreen without having to access a menu.

Both. I found it incredibly tedious, and that's without having to take the Iron Boots on and off. I almost stopped playing Ocarina of Time in the Water Temple. That was my least favorite dungeon in any Zelda game, hands down. I'm glad Wind Waker stuck strictly to dog-paddling and Twilight Princess let you actually swim instead of OoT's half-assed underwater swimming. Hopefully Nintendo will never revisit that type of dungeon in a Zelda game.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:59 am

Metal Gear Solid 2: The death of Octocon's sister and his confession about his stepmom and his dad's suicide. One, I hate that I went through so much trouble to rescue the girl only to lose her to such a cheap death. Two, that cutscene is abysmal in every way.

Minecart levels in Donkey Kong Country Returns can eat shit and die. For me, they're the modern day gaming equivalent of the 3rd level of Battletoads.

The 3rd level of Battletoads.

The section of the modern Ninja Gaiden games where every boss is thrown at you one after the other. This makes me think of the ghost fish, which makes this a tie.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:09 pm

I never liked ANY of the Water dungeons in literally every Zelda game. Though the one in OoT was by far the worst. TP's take second place but every dungeon after it is so fucking brilliant i dont even care.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:33 pm

Kayshire Cat wrote:I never liked ANY of the Water dungeons in literally every Zelda game. Though the one in OoT was by far the worst. TP's take second place but every dungeon after it is so fucking brilliant i dont even care.

Water dungeons are generally my least favorite dungeons in Zelda games. The Swamp Palace in ALttP wasn't too bad. I wasn't thrilled about the one in Link's Awakening. OoT's water temple was a shitload of fuck, the rest of the game was great though. Wind Waker's was all right since you only swam on the surface and didn't have to dick around with the Iron Boots. Twilight Princess's water dungeon was infinitely more tolerable than the Water Temple because you could actually move freely in the water.

I'm not fond of water levels in general. The only games that make them halfway tolerable are Mario games, and even that is kind of iffy. The limited mobility, and now shitty visibility in 3-D games, kills them for me. I avoided the flooded vaults/subway tunnels in Fallout 3 and New Vegas the way I did the ground over Vault 87. Thankfully they weren't mandatory to complete either game.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:52 pm

Oh god swimming in Fallout that shit made me want to punch babies.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:01 pm

Oh, I thought of something else. Racing segments in games that are not racers and stealth segments in games that are not stealth games. When those elements are injected into games that are not designed around those mechanics, they usually don't work and make the game frustrating.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:08 pm

Borderlands 2 has some shitty racing missions. Then again i cant drive worth shit in that game anyways
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:16 pm

No one can drive worth shit in that game. Esepcially me. Just ask Matt
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:52 pm

I always get my vehicle stuck in the environment. ALWAYS
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:22 pm

You know one game that does a horrible job with races? Jak 2. So many times where I'd lose over some bullshit. 3 did them well though
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:26 pm

This would be the part where I complain about racing in GTA3, except that was just one of the worst parts of an all-around bad game
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain N Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:19 pm

The driving controls were pretty bad in the first Borderlands too. And in Midnight Club Los Angeles, because who the fuck steers and puts the accelerator on the same stick. Good thing you can change the controls and it may be my most favorite Rockstar game.
Captain N
Captain N

Back to top Go down

Post by Bannen Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:52 am

True Crime: Streets of LA: Awesome game, right up until the end when it springs zombies and dragons on you. Normally, zombies and dragons are cool. In this example, they are not.

Mortal Kombat ("9"): The story mode is so dumb that it's cool, but the final battle against Shao Kahn is bullshit. I know that tradition is that Mortal Kombat's final boss is a cheap bastard, but I felt this was designed from the ground up to make me explode.

Red Dead Redemption: Trading in John for Jack. Fuck that.

God of War III: Hope is Kratos' secret weapon. Seriously? Wow, that's...that's just dumb as shit.

Bioshock Infinite: This is a small one, but drove me nuts, also SPOILERS AHOY! When Booker and Elizabeth end up in Rapture, and Booker says "An underater city? Ridiculous." Seriously? You've spent your day in a city perched on giant balloons, man. STFU.
Bannen
Bannen
Asks for the "Guile" at the Barbershop

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next