The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Top 5 One Off Games

3 posters

Go down

Top 5 One Off Games Empty Top 5 One Off Games

Post by volvocrusher Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:14 am

So basically any original (ie not licensed) game that never got a sequel or spin-off can go on here. DLC/Expansions don't count as a sequel/spin-off so Bloodborne would count for this. If a future sequel is announced, give it on a case by case basis. So The Last of Us or Prey for instance would not have place on here, but Beyond Good and Evil certainly would. (Didn't mean to rub salt in the wound, but I'll believe Ubisoft is committed to BG&E2 when it's on store shelves).

Team Ico games are grey area. If you think they count, go for it since they have different kinds of gameplay. I can see the argument for them not counting though.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Top 5 One Off Games Empty Re: Top 5 One Off Games

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:05 pm

Thinking back to the last time we did this at 1up, a lot of the games I picked have gotten sequels, so it is definitely something I'll have to think on a bit. Also I say Team Ico games are out. If they aren't considered sequels, they'd fall into the spinoff area I think.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:07 am

1. Jade Empire- Been replaying this game. The world is just so unique and perfect. Combat feels a bit clunky now, but is fun and is pretty simple to grasp, but deep with a lot of options. Plus the cast, while not Bioware's best, is still really great.
2. Bloodborne- Yeah, it's mostly just taking from the Dark Souls formula, but there's just enough changes here that it feels like it's own thing. I'm torn whether this or DS1 is my favorite of From's games but I definitely like the atmosphere and combat more here.
3. Elite Beat Agents- Still the most addicting rhythm game I ever played. I really really want a sequel some day.
4. Skies of Arcadia- Like Jade Empire, it's a great RPG in a unique universe with a great cast of characters. Really hoping it gets an HD remake soon.
5. The Stanley Parable- You can't describe what makes it good. That takes away from why it's so amazing. It probably has the best use of choice in games though.

A few honorable mentions: Grim Fandango, Eternal Darkness, Bully, Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse, Mark of the Ninja
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:53 pm

My top 2 are the same:

1. Bloodborne - Easily my favorite game of this generation and maybe ever. It grabbed me in a way that none of the Souls games have. It's Dark Souls but faster, more aggressive and with weird science fiction horror twists in it that are awesome.

2. Jade Empire - Given what I've seen of Bioware's new team I'm kind of glad this is likely not to get a sequel, but sad it didn't get one while the A-team was still at the helm.

3. Shadow of the Colossus - I'm arguing for it being standalone. The dev team has similar styles and little nods to other games but they're their own beats I think.

...Man, it is REALLY hard to think of games that aren't part of a franchise. Even Elite Beat agents is a sequel to a Japanese game (that I could never god damn find...;___; ).

Last edited by Krubixcube on Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:37 am

I don't know how to order these, but here are the five I picked out:

Tearaway: Super charming and creative. Loved the way it used the Vita's controls.

Resogun: My favorite arcade shooter. I was so addicted to this.

Sunset Overdrive: Really fun open-world game with great weapons and controls and a unique sense of humor.

Mark of the Ninja: My favorite stealth game ever. Just brilliantly designed.

Beyond Good & Evil: Really cool world and characters. Solid gameplay with good variety and a Zelda-esque structure.

Others one-off games that came to my mind that I enjoyed: Ori and the Blind Forest, Life is Strange, Heavenly Sword, Guacamelee.

I don't know. Probably forgetting something. This was off the top of my head.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:12 pm

Mark of the Ninja is a solid choice. A masterclass of good sound and visual design. Never thought 2D stealth would work that well. Nonexistant story, but who cares when it's that fun to play?
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:05 pm

I forgot about Castle Crashers. I will replace Sunset Overdrive with that. I love the humor, artstyle and co-op in CC.

A lot of the smaller downloadable games on my list. I guess that means I've been lucky to get sequels to most of the bigger retail games I love (though I can think of a few that got sequels but weren't that weren't that good I guess).
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down