The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Top Five Games This Gen So Far

+2
SanAndreasX
TripOpt55
6 posters

Go down

Top Five Games This Gen So Far Empty Top Five Games This Gen So Far

Post by TripOpt55 Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:30 pm

Let's try this one. I am purposely doing this before a lot of big games start to hit this year to sort of take stock on where this gen is at and what it has had to offer so far. So games that are eligible would be:

-Wii U, PS4 and Xbox One Games.
-PC games released in the general timeframe of those consoles being out.
-Cross-gen (simultaneous releases) with last gen is fine, but I would sort of frown upon late ports/remasters (like GTA V).
-You can include Vita/3DS if you'd like. You may also make a separate list if you so choose.

Bonus Question: Who has been the best developer this gen? Only consider games released this gen obviously.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Top Five Games This Gen So Far Empty Re: Top Five Games This Gen So Far

Post by SanAndreasX Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:31 pm

1. Super Mario Maker (Wii U). This should honestly come pre-loaded on every Nintendo console going forward. There's so many features (even with a few more features from commercial Mario games that I'd like to see still not present) and it's easy to use.

2. Bayonetta (Wii U). Far and away my favorite game of this type.

3. Final Fantasy Type-0 (PS4, also on Xbox One and PC) - This game has been pretty good and a hopeful return to form on Square Enix's part.

4. Dragon Quest Heroes (PS4) This is a great Musou game and actually plays quite a bit like a RPG.

5. Fallout 4 (PS4, also on Xbox One and PC) For all that I feel like Fallout 4 is in some significant ways a step back from New Vegas in the RPG mechanics department, I still had a lot of fun with this game and the settlement feature is surprisingly addictive, so I definitely got my money's worth out of this one.

Portables:

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS) - Awesome Zelda action, enough said.

2. Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS) - One of the best SRPGs I've ever seen, particularly an accomplishment in a genre featuring games like Valkyria Chronicles and Final Fantasy Tactics.

3. Gravity Rush (Vita) - I like the physics and art design of this game. However, I played this on the PS4 rather than the Vita, since I have a Vita TV and Gravity Rush isn't a supported game for the Vita TV.

4. Bravely Default (3DS) - They might as well have just called this Final Fantasy, and I don't mean this in a bad way.

5. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (Vita, also on PS3). Since this game was simultaneously developed and released for the PS3 and Vita and probably sold better on Vita,, I'm counting this one, because this is too awesome of a RPG for me to pass up.

Best developer: Nintendo is my clear winner. However, I really think Square Enix has been a huge improvement over their last-gen offerings and they've redeemed themselves in my eyes, Namco has been solid as always, and Tecmo Koei has become shockingly great over the past five or so years.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:30 pm

Yeah if you pick Nintendo EAD for developer, throw a second dev our way too. It is hard to argue against EAD's production, but they also span two locations and have like seven teams/groups. Or maybe throw an up and coming dev that perhaps impressed you for the first time this gen (just trying to add some variety to this bonus question, I guess).
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:51 pm

Bumping this up. Would love to hear people's picks. I've got about 7 or so I'm trying to sort out myself at the moment.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:37 pm

1. Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition - My first game purchase for my PS4 and one that I continue to revisit (like earlier the day I'm posting this) and it still plays so well. No game compels me to kill and loot over and over again.
2. Rocket League - Took some time off of this one but I'm returning to it due to the basketball mode. Best competitive multiplayer game on the system and overall.
3. The Witcher: Wild Hunt - A game that's still in progress but I'm already so impressed by the story, characters, world and gameplay that I know its the best of its kind.
4. Bloodborne - Also, heh, a game in progress but my intro into the Souls universe and a gateway into a new hardcore gaming experience. Notable for its beautifully-wrought yet oppressive level design.
5. Resogun - The first game that I played on my PS4 is also still one of the best exclusives and fun even though I kinda suck at it. Smile

HM: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - when I get to it, I bet this'll replace one of the above.

avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:40 pm

From my limited experience:

1: Rocket League - Still playing this. So perfect
2: Alien: Isolation - Despite being way too long, this game delivered almost everything I hoped these games would be ever since I heard of Amnesia. Popcorn horror at it's best
3: Mario Kart 8 - I've always felt like MK was lacking something but this game changed my mind. Easily the best of the series.
4: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - Not much of a campaign experience, but the mechanics make it feel more "next-gen" than anything I've played so far despite being a previous-gen game as well.
5: Tie between The Witness, Super Mario 3D World (better but more just for co-op) and Bayonetta 2 (haven't played quite enough)

For handheld and indies:
Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Fire Emblem Awakening, The Beginner's Guide, Nidhogg
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sun May 01, 2016 12:45 am

For consoles/PC:
1. Rayman Legends- Borderline game, but I played it on Wii U so it's my number one pick. And this is just one of the best 2D platformers I've ever played, as good as Super Mario World and Sonic 2.
2. Bayonetta 2- I know I picked Dragon Age as my GOTY 2014 over this, but when I think of which game I'd rather return to, it's Bayo all the way.  Game is just so polished and fun and I really love the style to these games.
3. Rise of the Tomb Raider- An excellent balance of puzzles, combat, and exploration. Just a really fun game.
4. Bloodborne- Wish there was more customization, but this is still what a new IP should be.
5. Dragon Age Inquisition- Probably my favorite game to use the Ubisoft formula. A bit of a rocky start, but once it gets going it's a blast.
Kind of lukewarm on this gen so far though. Here's hoping things change this year!

For handhelds (which I'm much more keen on so far)
1. Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds- I liked this well enough on regular mode, but on hard, wow is this fantastic. I have never enjoyed exploring a Zelda world this much ever. Top 3 Zeldas easily.
2. Pokemon X and Y- I played this game three times in the span of two months. Pokemon games are better than anything on 8th gen consoles.
3. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies- Next to Pokemon, this is my favorite portable franchise. Finding holes in a testimony just never gets old and this game had a really good final case tying everything together, which is what every AA game needs to succeed.
4. Tearaway- It makes me smile
5. Mario Golf World Tour- I never really got into the past MG games, but I adored this one for some reason. Played the hell out of it for a while.

As a side note, I would say that in terms of original games, these two handhelds are pretty disappointing but if everything you can play on them is taken into account, these are the two best handhelds ever. I like opening up my 3DS and seeing the AA remakes, every Zelda made before Wind Waker, the new SNES games, and all these great remakes. I also like turning on my Vita to see all those PS1 games and PS2 ports along with other great ports and all those indie titles.

Do I wish the focus went on more original content instead? Absolutely. But that doesn't change that these are my favorite handhelds ever even if I think the GBA's and DS' original libraries crush these two.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun May 01, 2016 1:20 am

Here are mine.

1. Rise of the Tomb Raider: A really superb, nicely balanced action/adventure game that improves on its predecessor in just about every way. I especially appreciated the expanded exploration.

2. Mario Kart 8: The best Mario Kart ever made even better by the DLC. I only wish they didn’t mess up battle mode yet again.

3. Resogun: My favorite arcade shooter like this. Super addictive. Couldn’t put it down which was helpful during the PS4’s early life that was lacking in standout games.

4. Far Cry 4: My favorite Far Cry game. Pretty much the recently made Ubi Far Cry formula perfected now with bonus elephants.

5. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze: In my top ten favorite 2D platformers ever. Exquisite level design. Great mechanics (not held back by the Wii’s controls this time). And one of the best soundtracks this gen. (Legends is better, but it is a 7th gen game for me.)

Not really convinced of the order here to be honest, but this is how it shook out for me at the moment. Others I considered were The Witcher 3 (The biggest surprise of the generation for me. Loved the story/characters/etc. and its open world is one of gaming’s best) and Ratchet & Clank (Not sure there was enough quality new content to get it into a Best of the Generation top five for me. But I had an absolute blast playing through it).

I might do a separate handheld game list.

Last edited by TripOpt55 on Sun May 01, 2016 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sun May 01, 2016 1:21 am

I'm surprised Sunset Overdrive isn't on your list Trip. Remember you really enjoying that and it is Insomniac.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun May 01, 2016 1:36 am

Yeah, that would be in that mix after the top five I guess. It and Ratchet make for a good 1-2 punch which would certainly get Insomniac on my short list for best dev so far this gen. Some of my favorite devs haven't even released a single game this console gen. They've released two great ones.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Sun May 01, 2016 10:41 am

1. Ori and the Blind Forrest - I've talked about this game plenty, but it really is my favorite game that I've played in years.

2. Jackbox Party Pack - Really this goes to all of Jackbox Games' releases over the past couple of years. There are two Jackbox Party Packs along with Quiplash and the upcoming Drawful 2... you really can't ask for a better party game. Its been a staple with my friends for a while now.

3. Rocket League - Fantastic multiplayer. This game consumed my gaming time all of last summer. I've been thinking of getting back into it, but I have way too much other stuff I want to play.

4. The Witness - While I thought a lot of the story elements were way too up its own ass, the puzzles and the environment to this were incredible. Still haven't beaten that challenge mode though! Someday!

5. The Witcher 3 - Still haven't 'finished' this game, but I've logged well over 40 hours. I get way too consumed with the side missions and haven't been motivated to finish the last line of main story missions but this is the one 'AAA' release on my list. I just haven't been all too blown away by this generations top tier games. Plus super long games like this are difficult for me to keep up with these days!
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Mon May 02, 2016 11:51 am

TripOpt55 wrote:Yeah if you pick Nintendo EAD for developer, throw a second dev our way too. It is hard to argue against EAD's production, but they also span two locations and have like seven teams/groups. Or maybe throw an up and coming dev that perhaps impressed you for the first time this gen (just trying to add some variety to this bonus question, I guess).

Speaking for myself, I'd have to give that award to Koei Tecmo and specifically, Omega Force and Gust. Dragon Quest Heroes was awesome, and so was Hyrule Warriors, and I'm really enjoying Nights of Azure.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down