The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion

+7
BretBaber
TheMatt
ajapam
Nephilimi
avidacridjam
Krubixcube
TripOpt55
11 posters

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:50 pm

Yeah Bran is actually cool. He really just didn't have a ton to do until this part and his scenes felt kind of pointless this season other than meeting the Reeds. This week was cool though.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion

Post by BretBaber Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:09 pm

When I was watching this yesterday I kind of saw something horrible coming. I looked at my girlfriend and said "Do you get the feeling something bad is about to happen to Rob?" Sad day.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:16 am

That was brutal

Great episode. Even the Bran stuff was good. The Hound/Arya stuff is great, too. I want more of them
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:50 pm

I saw it.

First of all, thank all of you who were reading the books for not spoiling a god damn thing. Second...fucking...I feel empty and sad. It was fucking great, but SAD. Gah.

Did not see that coming in the god damn slightest. Brilliant and ballsy as hell.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:54 am

Does that make you feel any better as far as having a big event this season Twolf? I know they didn't build to it in the same way as say Blackwater, but I was wondering if just having such a game-changing event like The Red Wedding kind of alleviates that issue for you because I know you mentioned it a couple of times.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:57 am

I'm glad they didn't build to it because it wouldn't be as shocking. Perhaps the most shocking moment I've seen on a TV show
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:45 pm

Have you guys read any of these Facebook recaps for the show? Here is the one for this past episode. Spoilers obviously:

http://www.happyplace.com/24297/game-of-thrones-facebook-recap-season-3-episode-9

Pretty hilarious.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:02 am

Solid finale, but I kind of missed the cool cliffhangers/endings they had in previous seasons (Dragons!, White Walkers!). And while I love Dany her scene didn't really work as a great season ender. It was even a little cheesy I think. This might be a product of the whole half a book thing I guess, but I had a pretty good candidate for a cool cliffhanger type ending ala previous seasons and they didn't include it this season at all. Oh well. Great season!
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:47 am

The finale was more or less what I expected. Some decent wrap-up moments and quite a few set-ups for the next season. Not as satisfying as previous season finales but it did the job.

SPOILER WARNING

- That Theon's torturer is Roose's bastard doesn't change the fact that his storyline was unnecessary and protracted. Kinda hard to tell who I hate more: Tywin or Roose.
- Nice scene between Jon and Ygritte. Hey, she warned him not to betray her.
- LOVED LOVED LOVED the Lannister meeting. Everyone there had something memorable to bring to the table, even the Maester (still getting his digs at Tyrion) but I truly laughed when Joffery lashed out at Tywin and received his cold, stony stare in return. Charles Dance is a god.
- We still don't know what Pod did to those whores. Shame.
- Judging from their last scene, you could do a spinoff series of Arya and The Hound. Loved how his last act was to eat whatever they were roasting over the campfire. 2nd favorite scene from the episode.
- The Asha and Balon Greyjoy (another series staple: dickheaded fathers) scene was nice and I couldn't help but feel that it echoed a similar beat from the season one finale when the Night's Watch Commander Mormont gathered some troops to search for Benjen Stark. That mission didn't turn out well so here's hoping Asha fares better.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:56 am

Avid's love for Charles Dance knows no bounds. Him and Dinklage were great in that scene, but I want to give some credit to the kid who plays Joffrey for the way he joyously hopped into the room with the news of Robb's death. It was perfect in a completely douchey way.

Arya's scene was my favorite from the ep. And I completely agree on the fact they dragged Theon's stuff out. Could have done it in about three scenes this season to be honest.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:07 am

This was just a short scene, but the wolf's head on Robb's body was no better than the actual death scene for me.

Tywin is so awesome that I still like him after he got the starks killed. Arya was also great again and i'm glad we finally know who has theon.
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:34 am

Bumping this up. It is back and it was great. Will wait for others to watch before I chime in.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:00 am

Hound's lines towards the end were awesome.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:32 am

I love the Hound/Arya pairing. Cool introduction to Oberyn, too.

Spoiler:
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:11 am

Arya's a badass but also it was kind of a turning point of her into a psychopath almost. The smile she had was a little bit unnerving.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:42 am

www.teeury.com has a Game of Thrones shirt on sale if anyone wants to check it out.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:45 pm

Arya's scene was my favorite. I loved the introduction of Oberyn though. Less so the prostitute stuff and more so the rest. The conversation with Tyrion in particular.

Edit: Also Jaime waving bye to Qyburn with his gold hand was hilarious.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:58 pm

Quite satisfying for a season premiere as opposed to past season openers. It's not like this had a leg up on giving everyone some screen time (where's Bran and Hodor?) but I think its strength was a thematic one. Everything was about peaks/valleys of the Lannisters basking in their recent triumph. As expected, it's emboldened some of them but the bad taste left by the Red Wedding still lingers. Oberyn is just plain awesome, like a nastier Indigo Montoya. I liked his exchange with Bronn (who is always awesome).

I feel pretty indifferent with the cannibals that are allied with the wildings. More Diana Rigg as Olenna is great (although I wanted her to spar with Tyrion or Tywin). Janos Slynt was an upper class twit of the year in the book and nothing has changed in the adaptation. As far as the new Daario goes, I'm not as upset by the casting change as I thought I'd be.

But the showdown between Hound/Arya and Polliver was the best. I had almost forgotten about Polliver (thanks, episode recap!) and the whole scene had a intense build-up and release not unlike one that you'd find in a Sergio Leone western. I don't think Arya is turning into a psychopath (that's killing for no reason); rather her bloodlust is adequately quenched, due I think to the fact that she made some killing blows.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:53 pm

I wasn't aware of the Daario casting change until I watched this. I'm pretty disappointed so far. Daario flirting with Dany should make a certain part of me jealous. This guy didn't have that.

Rest of it was great! The Hound and Arya were so good. "what the fuck's a lommy?"
Motinator
Motinator
Has a Bad Case of Headcrabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:16 pm

The only thing that I was surprised with the casting change is how different the actor plays the character. I kind of liked the "I'm the fantasy equivalent of a surfer dude for this young queen to stare at" way that the old guy did it). Does anyone know why the original guy took off?

And yeah, what an entrance for Oberyn! Considering that was his first appearance in the whole of the TV series it was a hell of an entrance.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:22 am

I guess the other guy went off to star in The Transporter reboot. I kind of liked the first guys' unique look. New guy looks like he could be Ned Stark's younger brother or from any random House in Westeros. This guy doesn't come off as sleezy as the other guy either. It takes a certain sort to be always fondling your naked lady sword hilts. I will have to wait and see this guy a bit more.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:40 pm

The Transporter reboot of all things? I wonder if that was his choice to leave or contractual obligation...

Yeah, I'm with you on his look. We'll have to see how it turns out, I mean, he also needs time to get into his character as well since he's jumping in. It's a good thing that I knew his actor was changing beforehand though otherwise I would have been SUPER confused (I'm stupid like that).

Oh yeah, I also thought the opening with the melting of the blade and the burning of the wolf pelt was EXCELLENT. A Stark comeback at this point (from the perspective of one who hasn't read the books, mind you) seems like it will be small, but emotionally satisfying revenges, but never a full victory.

Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:29 am

Well if money was a factor, I'd assume The Transporter would win out. I don't really know the specifics though. I think people were more connecting the dots between him leaving and getting that role. Maybe there was more to it.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:01 am

Holy. Fucking. Shit.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:59 am

I think I'll wait to make sure everyone's seen it to say more, but I will say this: Muttonchop man

Also, quote of the week comes from Bronn. "Drink until it feels like you've done the right thing"
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:53 am

The way his face looked at the end was fittingly gruesome. Great work there. Lot of cool little scenes surrounding that in the reception. I liked Bran's visions through the tree too. I love me some visions.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:53 am

Just saw the episode. Just brilliant. The way the tension in the 2nd half was drawn out was so masterful. Like "The Rains of Castamere" I knew what was coming but there was an mix of anticipation and little dread.

Hats off to Jack Gleeson for effectively playing one of the most memorably despicable characters in television. If you hated Joffrey's guts, all that that meant is that Gleeson did his job perfectly. I'll miss his uneasy posturing and the hilarity that would ensue whenever he'd mistakenly cross Tywin (like he did last season).

Spoiler for those who've read the books:
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:55 am

The makeup people blew it away I thought (in a good way). It was phenominal. The whole episode was just AMAZING filmmaking. All the scenes leading up to it were just so...good.

And yeah, hats off to Gleeson, he really nailed it and made a character people will remember forever. That said, I didn't feel as happy as I thought I would when he finally went. Mostly because he fingered one of my favorite characters...even in death he's a selfish little twit.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:36 pm

That entire wedding scene was great. I think my favorite thing about this episode is just how many variables are at play in the story right now. As long as Joffrey was around there was at least a sense of stability in King's Landing, and now that's gone straight out the window. This season's off to a great start.

I also enjoyed the Theon and (rather short) Bran scenes this week.

Edit: I have two theories. A: Joffrey's fool got revenge on him. or B: The tyrells used him to get rid of Joffrey. They seem wise enough to get him out of the way discreetly and I haven't quite figured out their game yet, so I'm not ruling them out yet. I don't think Tyrion would do it
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:10 pm

I thought the fool at first as well, but rewatching it I think he may have just been thinking "welp, I'm the first to die if something happens to him..."

Then again, they did give him a LOT of play this season, even giving him his own section in the "previously on..." bit. I don't think Tyrion did it, I think it makes the most sense the Tyrells would do it. I've gotten the sense they've been maneuvering the whole time they've been in and around King's Landing and depending on how the legality of marriages work in Game of Thrones, Margerie is the queen...right? Wasn't too clear on that.

The only thing that didn't wow me this week was Stannis' scenes. I mean, they weren't horrible but just got instantly dwarfed by the wedding which, as ajapam said, was fantastic.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next