The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion

+7
BretBaber
TheMatt
ajapam
Nephilimi
avidacridjam
Krubixcube
TripOpt55
11 posters

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion - Page 3 Empty Re: Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion

Post by TripOpt55 Sun May 05, 2013 2:13 am

Never posted about last week. That Beric Hound fight was awesome. Anyone else watch it?
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion - Page 3 Empty Re: Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion

Post by Krubixcube Sun May 05, 2013 2:38 am

Oh yeah! I really liked last week's episode. I thought Jaime's monologue at the end was fantastic as well. He's a douche-but a very interesting douche.

My only concern about this season (and it's a small one because I've been thoroughly entertained) is that it doesn't seem to be BUILDING to any big event like the last 2 seasons were. Maybe that's because they've split the book in half or something but it's a a minor complaint.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Methane_Max Mon May 06, 2013 1:39 pm

I finally caught up with the show so now I can read this thread without any spoilers!

Last week's episode was great. The fight scene and Jaime's monologue were the high points of the episode for me. Despite his douchbaggery, hearing him tell his side of the story makes it harder to hate his guts... if only just a little.
Methane_Max
Methane_Max
Sand Thrower

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue May 07, 2013 1:23 am

I didn't dig this week's episode as much as the other recent ones. It was by no means bad. I enjoyed it, but it felt like a step back without as many standout moments as some others this season.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Methane_Max Tue May 07, 2013 10:11 am

Yeah, this week's episode was probably the weakest so far. However, I wouldn't necessarily say it was a step back but rather at a stand still. That's literally the feeling I got from this episode... why aren't we going anywhere?

Also, I'm not sure how it was handled in the books but, to me, it seemed like they downplayed what happened to Ros. I feel like that should've garnered a bit more attention.
Methane_Max
Methane_Max
Sand Thrower

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Tue May 07, 2013 10:32 am

Methane_Max wrote:Also, I'm not sure how it was handled in the books but, to me, it seemed like they downplayed what happened to Ros. I feel like that should've garnered a bit more attention.

I don't know how else they could have handled it short of actually showing her get killed, which I think is unnecessary. I actually thought that was the best scene in the whole episode with the whole Littlefinger monologue. I think you have to kind of accept episodes like this. You can't have constant highs. There has to be some amount of setup. Then again, I could do without seeing Theon get his finger torn apart. That was gross. And I honestly don't really care anymore about his storyline. Just kill him and be done with it. Finally, I think we all can agree on this, but an episode without Dany is obviously going to be a down episode.
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Methane_Max Tue May 07, 2013 12:47 pm

Don't get me wrong, I thought the scene was great. I think I placed more weight on her as a character than I should have so her demise seemed rather abrupt.

As for Theon, I agree, I'm losing interest in his arc. At first it was satisfying to see him get his come-upin's but it's just getting old now. If there is an item of importance to his arc, I think I may have missed it.

Definitely needed more Dany.
Methane_Max
Methane_Max
Sand Thrower

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue May 07, 2013 5:13 pm

Ros isn't even in the books and there really isn't a scene like that with Joffrey in the books. For whatever that is worth. I think the way they handled it here was fine though. Like Matt said, I wouldn't have wanted to see anymore of it actually happening.

I think what bothers me about this episode is something that I assume was in the first two seasons but since I didn't watch them week to week like now they didn't bug me is something you guys are mentioning with Theon. I think some of the one-off scenes for characters during a week seem pointless (well that is harsh but you know what I mean). It feels like they want to try and check in with certain characters, but maybe just bringing them back when they have more to do would be better. Theon's storyline this season so far could have been accomplished in two episodes. It seems to be treading water. But they keep checking in. They could basically just let it drift to the background and we'd know he was getting tortured somewhere. Bran's last couple of scenes have been kind of just there it felt like to remind us Bran exists. Sam's this week seemed to be to remind us of the dragonglass, but why not save that scene for when he has a few for the week (or just another)? Now it's possible to get a lot done in one scene. Dany freeing the slaves. Even Arya's this week where Melisandre takes Gendry. Those are both longer scenes, but even something like Jaime's this week gives us more than say Bran's. But if it isn't one of those type of scenes, I think it might be better to pair them with another.

Not sure if that makes any sense. And this is my favorite show on TV still and I think this has been the best season so far, so I'm not trying to trash it. Just feel like with so many stories to juggle (and characters are spread out more than ever this season... even Jon and Sam are separated now for instance) this might help make each week's episodes better. And Dany she'd make each week's episode better of course.

Also do non-book readers know who Theon's captor is? I think this week's was trying to clue people into it, but I'm not sure it would be obvious still.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Wed May 08, 2013 8:52 am

This recent episode was one of those that serves as nothing but build-up for a bigger upcoming episode but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Olenna squaring off against Tywin was my personal favorite, along with the last scene with Jon and Ygritte.

I understand that the juggling of subplots may not be to everyone's taste but this is the hurdle the show's writers will be facing from here on out. I'm sure they've considered many possibilities but faced with that much material and certain time slot to deliver it in, some hard decisions will need to be made. I don't know how they should do it. All I can do is have faith that the buildup will payoff with less-impactful episodes like this last one. I had the same problem with Justified recent season and it truly paid off in last stretch.

avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Methane_Max Wed May 08, 2013 10:40 am

TripOpt55 wrote:Ros isn't even in the books and there really isn't a scene like that with Joffrey in the books. For whatever that is worth.

Also do non-book readers know who Theon's captor is? I think this week's was trying to clue people into it, but I'm not sure it would be obvious still.

Ha! I had no idea Ros wasn't even in the books. In which case that changes my stance on her demise completely. Did they fabricate her to combine a couple of different characters together or something?

As for Theon's captor, I'm sure the clues were there in the conversation but I'd need to watch it again to pick them up. I figured they were trying to clue us in with that scene but I wasn't paying close enough attention to it, haha.
Methane_Max
Methane_Max
Sand Thrower

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu May 09, 2013 5:37 am

This week's episode was kind of weak. Not horrible, just weak for hte season. Especially the conversation between Varis and Little Finger, just because their conversations are normally some of the strongest moments in the series for me.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Sun May 12, 2013 11:18 pm

I caught this episode late. I'm losing interest in Bran and Theon. I understand the need for some slower episodes and story arcs, but we're 6 episodes in and Bran's story hasn't really gone anywhere at all this season. But I guess I might've felt the same before if it wasn't for Theon going nuts.

Best moments were fire lady meeting Arya and taking blacksmith boy, old lady talking to Tywin. Little Finger's speech felt kind of forced.
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue May 28, 2013 6:22 pm

Hmmm... haven't talked much about it on here these last couple weeks. What do you guys think the rest of this season might hold?
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue May 28, 2013 6:24 pm

yeah, bran and theo still kind of suck.

But man, this last episode...Tyrion with the quote of the damn season. Badass.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Tue May 28, 2013 9:15 pm

Next episode will be BIG. We've talked about this before but if it features what I think it will....a part of me wants to see it and a part of me doesn't feel emotionally prepared for it.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Wed May 29, 2013 2:39 pm

Tyrion hasn't been as good as he was last season, but he made up for it in the last episode. Quote of the season indeed

This is one show where I'm both excited and afraid to see what happens every episode.
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Toomanywires Wed May 29, 2013 4:19 pm

I'm enjoying this series of GoT, but I think that's because I'm into the books and have a good grasp of the characters and narrative (and where the story is going). That being said, I don't think it has made for particulalry good TV.

If I wasn't familiar with the books, I don't think I'd be enjoying the show. It's just too disjointed and I'd be beyond frustrated with how the most interesting characters can disappear for episodes at a time.

On a positive note, I thought the last episode (Tyrion's wedding) was the most interesting and coherent of the series thus far, and I'm really looking forward to these last few episodes. It'll be interesting to see how they handle it.
Toomanywires
Toomanywires
Sand Thrower

http://www.toomanywires.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed May 29, 2013 9:35 pm

I haven't read the books and I haven't minded this season. But there have been certain plot points that just haven't gone anywhere. And it's not building to one big event but...as good as Game of Thrones is it is a fantasy series, so a bit of disjointedness comes with the territory sometimes.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu May 30, 2013 3:49 am

I think it really helped that last episode focused on only a few storylines with just two one-off scenes and both felt worthwhile. Pretty much what I was suggesting earlier in the thread.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu May 30, 2013 4:06 am

yeah, it was nice getting more than one scene per character arc for sure. That's USUALLY how HBO runs its show. But I think that's an unfortunate side effect of splitting the book into 2 seasons.

Also, I heard rumor that the HBO writers have decided how they're going to end the show regardless of the books. Your guys' thoughts?
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu May 30, 2013 4:24 am

I don't think splitting the book has anything to do with why they do one scene a week for characters. It has to do with how spread out all the characters are this year and how many more they have to service now than in the first two seasons. Jon and Sam are even separated for instance.

I mean the show is obviously going to pass the books. Not sure what to think. Surely Martin who also writes for the show would give them some idea of the endgame though right?
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu May 30, 2013 4:26 am

I think ti's good. HBO writers are smart guys, I have confidence they'd write something that was satisfying or at least good to talk about.

@Trip: I'd imagine he'd have to be involved if that's the case.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu May 30, 2013 4:45 pm

Edit: Don't love the way this comment looked re-reading it.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri May 31, 2013 5:28 am

Well, mixed results, but it's better than it dragging out for ages. Plus, if they have a clear ending in mind it might mean they get more decisive with the writing in the future which is a good thing.

As you know, my feel towards adaptations is it's a healthy thing for it to distinguish itself so I'd RATHER the book ending (if it does end up happening way later than the TV show) is different than the TV show because it's two interpretations of the same world which I find really interesting and it would make me want to read the books more (which I do plan on doing once the show catches up so I'm not constantly making comparisons to it).

And don't worry, you dont' come off as an elitist. But yes, Martin should ABSOLUTELY be involved in the ending. All I'm saying is if HBO has THEIR ending in mind they can set up their own plot arcs and make sure they personally know that everything they're showing on screen is leading to something important.

So like, if they were just following the books without knowing where their ending was they might end up showing stuff that was important in the book but not for the ending so it ends up being...useless. I don't know. There's meaning somewhere in that rambling.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri May 31, 2013 5:29 am

PS your comment was fine =)

While Neph had the power to wind me up, asking me to clarify alone doesn't bug me in the slightest!
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Fri May 31, 2013 5:17 pm

Okay I gotcha. Makes sense. Yeah I guess I should have left the comment... haha. Oh well glad you saw it then.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:54 pm

Anyone watch yet tonight?
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:37 am

Yes. Holy bloodbath. I mean, did anyone actually think they were gonna get out of that? Also, Bran is looking more and more like he's going to be a key player in later books/seasons. Will he be able to control the dragons? That shit would be crazy!
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:51 am

Even knowing what was coming the wedding was tough to watch. Also hate anytime animals get hurt... Grey Wind Sad

And yes an actual good Bran episode. That in and of itself is a big accomplishment this season.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:00 am

Amazing episode overall. The Red Wedding is what it is but I don't see how it could've been executed better. The cut to black and silent credits made it tougher.

I've always liked the Bran storyline but I'll agree this is the episode where it's shown the most promise yet. And I was truly happy to see Jon put a sword through Orell; I hated that motherfucker. Mackenzie Crook exceeds at playing douches.

Arya and The Hound is becoming quite the awesome pairing. Definitely the sunniest sections of the episode.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next