The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Movies You've Watched Recently

+18
Rainjar
chocobot
Motinator
TripOpt55
ajapam
BretBaber
Methane_Max
pspiddy
Captain N
Nephilimi
AlexC-25
Krubixcube
Keith_Games
volvocrusher
avidacridjam
b.b.hagen
Bannen
TheMatt
22 posters

Page 33 of 34 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Go down

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 33 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by avidacridjam Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:04 pm

All this Breakfast Club talk made me think of this, for some reason:

avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 33 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by volvocrusher Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:56 pm

With the new Apes movie out and the first on Netflix, would anyone else be interested in having a group watch for that?
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:50 am

Wal-Mart has the original 5 movies on blu-ray for $20.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:55 am

And 4 of those are good. Well, 3 technically, but cheesiness and stupidness aside, I still love Beneath. Battle can go fuck itself though. Ended up getting that off Amazon though. I would so be down to go through all of these if anyone else wants to.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:28 am

Comes with $8 off movie cash for the new movie as well, so it's like an even more super deal!
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:57 pm

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was great. Took a smart approach with the plot where for the first half there was no real side to root for, both the apes and humans had characters who wanted peace and those who mistrusted each other and played it out so you could see how the two could coexist, but know that this can never happened. Smart plot, well written characters, well directed action. What more can you want?
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:25 pm

Watched 2 VASTLY different films in the last 2 days:

Muppets: Most Wanted -I loved hte muppets, this was a huge disappointment. I've literally been walking around for the last day telling my girlfriend all the gags they COULD have done. For a muppets movie I barely saw any of the muppets, and the muppets have always been so self-referential that I wanted SO many more stupid jokes/gags. A waste of good talent for sure.

Under the Skin - This is a movie I really want to like. Great performance by Johannson, some absolutely stunning imagery (including that finale...damn), amazing sound design (in spots). But something just didn't click for me. People were calling this director the new Kubrick but Kubrick was more playful with his use of music and cinematography. It was more Tarkovsky than Kubrick. IF you're the type of person who watches a LOT of films, and difficult ones at that I'd say check this one out and let's talk about it, it seems a good film to talk about. If you're the type who watches films, but not voraciously, give it a skip.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:44 am

Saw Ghibli's new film When Marnie Was There and...well, it was OK. The animation was gorgeous, but that just goes without saying. I think when it comes down to it Ghibli films just don't have fun anymore, and even films like Totoro that were as much a slice of life as they were adventure stories still did an amazing job building their characters through small moments. The writers at Ghibli despite making a very noble attempt, just aren't as good at subtle drama, at least not in the literary sense and some of the "emotional" moments in the film fall flat since our character isn't really established from the get-go.

Always good to see Ghibli in nice big-well projected format though.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:35 am

Watched Pan's Labyrinth. I knew nothing about it so I expected it to be some film where the first part was in real life and the rest took place in another land, like Narnia. I was expecting essentially a kids film with some kinda dark designs in a fantasy setting. So needless to say I got something completely different and was completely surprised, haha. Really enjoyed it, still letting it soak in really.
Rainjar
Rainjar
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:17 am

A friend from twitter recommended Heathers to me, and it was pretty amazing. It starts off as a normal high school movie and slowly starts going off the rails into something pretty insane. It had a lot of moments where i was unsure if i should be feeling uncomfortable or laughing. I enjoy that. It also ends with a scene where Winona Ryder kisses Shannen Doherty which makes it a good movie by default

I should watch more 80's movies i guess.

Random observation: Shannen Doherty's breasts were a lot smaller in the 80's then they were in Charmed.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug
Sees Tetris Blocks EVERYWHERE

http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/stabs

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:45 pm

Watched True Lies. Was basically the movie I imagine I'm seeing whenever I watch something boring.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:53 pm

New Transformers was alright. Was an hour longer than it should have been and had too many plot threads, but man, for once Bay actually gave me robot fights where I can remember what happened five minutes after seeing it. Worth watching for John Goodman's robot.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:20 am

Spiddy, I'm not trying to invalidate your opinion or talk down on it in any way when I ask this. I can see why you'd think this movie is that bad. It's just there's a lot of terrible superhero movies.

So you're saying this is worse than both Fantastic Four's, X-3, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Ghost Rider, Green Lantern, Daredevil, Electra, Catwoman, Superman 4, and Man of Steel (which I still like, but given your reaction)? Again, not judging, just glad I don't see what everyone who hates this movie does.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:45 am

I haven't seen it so I can't weigh in personally. but of my friends most people are more on spiddy's side of the scale on this one. Maybe not hating to the extent he does, but few can hate to the extent that spiddy does.

It seems like the type of movie I'd throw on in the background sometime.

I had an urge to rewatch The Bourne Identity again yesterday...I love that whole series of movies. Excellent stunts, great fights, chase scenes that actually have tension. I wish they didn't go into SHAKE THE CAMERA mode as much in the 2nd and 3rd one but there's some fine filmmaking in there. Remember how films can be super tense without CG? Not to say CG doesn't have a place, but it is refreshing to watch some old school stuff.

I also watched the second District 13 movie because I figured there might be some decent parkour/fight scenes. It was horrendously meh. I never understood martial arts movies, and I mean proper ones where it's a showcase for very talented martial artists having serious plots. Don't put these poor guys in situations where they have to act.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:47 am

Kubert, you of all people should avoid ASM2. I love it, I'll defend it, and I know I'll watch it several times more. But damn you would hate that movie.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:50 am

Expand on this. I LIKE HAVING FUN TOO, YOU KNOW! It's not all cocktail parties and reading the New Yorker in Kubert's apartment!
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:55 am

Well, movie does not really have a plot, nor do any of the characters have an arc. It's more a sequence of events that happen kind of like Iron Man 2. And both villains' stories are missing one scene which will give them a really good motivation. There is some creativity to it though, Electro's powers make a wonderful use of dubstep which just feels so creative and fun, and this is coming from a guy who hates dubstep.

I love that movie, but I can go on for days on how they could have improved it. It's mostly because I'm such a huge Spidey fanboy that I can look past all the stuff they get wrong and just enjoy what they get right. Don't agree with Spiddy at all on the effect though, I thought they were pretty great.

And I know you're not above "having fun" which is what I base 95% of my movie watching on. I remember you said how awesome Avengers was. Though my future self told me if you say one bad thing about Guardians of the Galaxy I'm disowning you and you'll have to find yourself a new pimp
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:09 am

AVS?

And you don't OWN me (I'msorrydaddyhere'stoday'spaymentdon'thitme)
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:40 am

Ahhhhh. I don't have a telescreenvisionator machine, boy. Just a computational machine.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:56 am

Yeah, but my sound's going through another set of speakers so usually it's well balanced enough as is.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:18 am

Anyone see the trailer for Mad Max? It looks one of those movies that mixes goofiness with awesomeness to make something you just need to watch even if the script sucks. With this and the game coming soon I'll have to actually watch the originals
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:32 am

The Changeling (1980)

The kind of horror film that I like to see these days. No slime, gore or shocks. No creature or serial killer on the loose and no women in danger. An effective haunted house story about a spirit who has unfinished business with the living and how its actions greatly affect the lives of the three main characters. George C. Scott was fantastic, as expected, as a music composer reeling from personal tragedy and quietly, respectfully trying to move on with his life. Melvyn Douglas isn't in the film for very long but he's quite good, especially the scene between him and Scott.

It's very old-fashioned but its done with such care. The camerawork is great, especially those tracking shots. It provides the house (both the exterior and interior shots) with both a sense of mystery and menace.

Under The Skin

Every year at least one film is released that I treasure for a lot of reasons, one of which is that it provides me with something I've never seen before (Enter The Void, Melancholia, Cloud Atlas). Under The Skin had that vibe from the first teaser that I saw. Having just watched it, its easily one of those films. Even the opening sequence is something I could stare at multiple times and never know what is going on...and I love it. I love the mystery of this film. The vagueness. The fascination with nature, everyday life and all of the things that we take granted.

I even admire the film for its frank images of nudity (even from Johansson) that never fall into the trap of titillation. There is a palpable, seething air of wrongness about the proceedings that eroticism has no place in it. Its one of the most effective films about the experience of an outsider (and more than one, if you think about it).

Scarlet Johansson just blew me away here. I didn't think she had a performance like this in her. That she pulled it off so well settles the argument about her acting abilities. From her improvisational skills to (what I consider) her patience and concentration in those long takes...she's just fascinating to watch here.

Johnathan Glazer has been compared to Kubrick in some reviews and I'd say that's true only in that Glazer seems to make films only when he feels like it (or perhaps he's been more productive than I'm giving him credit for). I hope it isn't too long before he directs again.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 34 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34  Next