The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Movies You've Watched Recently

+18
Rainjar
chocobot
Motinator
TripOpt55
ajapam
BretBaber
Methane_Max
pspiddy
Captain N
Nephilimi
AlexC-25
Krubixcube
Keith_Games
volvocrusher
avidacridjam
b.b.hagen
Bannen
TheMatt
22 posters

Page 6 of 34 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20 ... 34  Next

Go down

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 6 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by Rainjar Thu May 02, 2013 3:25 pm

GOTTA SPREAD THE EVA LOVE, MAN. 2GUD FOR JUST ONE THREAD.
Rainjar
Rainjar
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 6 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by chocobot Thu May 02, 2013 3:32 pm

I've never watched Evangelion. I am a bad anime fan Sad
chocobot
chocobot
Will Eat Lizard Tails to Improve Stamina

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Thu May 02, 2013 3:33 pm

Yes let me punish you Razz
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug
Sees Tetris Blocks EVERYWHERE

http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/stabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Thu May 02, 2013 4:13 pm

chocobot wrote:I've never watched Evangelion. I am a bad anime fan Sad

It's very much a love or hate kinda thing but there's no denying the massive impact it had on the anime industry as well as peoples lives, mines included. You'll still find shows that have aired within the past year referencing it. I think it's the greatest masterpiece to ever exist but then on the flip side half of my college class thought it was the worst thing to ever be made and a massive pile of shit. We argued a lot. Also Hideaki Anno, the guy who created it, is fucking brilliant.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Original series 26 episodes.
Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion - Film to the series, alternate ending to the last 2 episodes of the original series (But you still need to watch them.)

The next three are known as Rebuild series. They started off as a remake but they've gone off that path a fair bit now and it's doing its own thing. Need to watch original series first really.
Evangelion 1.11: You Are (Not) Alone - Film
Evangelion 2.22: You Can (Not) Advance - Film
Evangelion 3.33: You Can (Not) Redo - Film

Go download these and watch them in that order. You can skip Death and Rebirth, it's just a recap. Do it now. All of you. Even if you don't like anime, just do it. Even if the concept doesn't sound interesting to you and you think it's some generic shit, just watch it. Trust me. And no, you don't know SHIT about Evangelion until you've watched ALL of NGE and NGE:EOE. No watching the first few eps and quitting, no finishing the series and not watching EoE (I'm looking at you TWolf.) I highly doubt it'll have as much of an effect, if any, on you guys as it did with me at the time but it's still a 10/10 show and I'd recommend it to anyone.

If you're fans of Mega64, half of them are big fans of the show as well. Posters of it have been in their videos, Rocco has a shit ton of figures from it, Garret has a tattoo of Unit 01 going down his entire arm.

(Also let's scurry back to the animu thread.)

Kayshire Cat wrote:Yes let me punish you Razz

No flirting when discussing the all important subject that is Japanese cartoons.
Rainjar
Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu May 02, 2013 7:07 pm

Rainjar wrote:GOTTA SPREAD THE EVA LOVE, MAN. 2GUD FOR JUST ONE THREAD.
Don't make me get out my iron fist. I'll do it.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexC-25 Thu May 02, 2013 9:18 pm

To be fair, aside from his gushing on EVA, Rainjar did talked about a movie first, even if its an anime film.

Anyway, to avoid any flame wars, I just watched Shaun of the Dead yesterday. Brilliant film. Funny, scary, sometimes heartbreaking, it's just fantastic from start to finish. Now I want to check Edgar's Wright other film, Hot Fuzz.
AlexC-25
AlexC-25
Sand Thrower

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu May 02, 2013 9:54 pm

I might watch the last one when it comes out in theaters just cuz...if I'm still here.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri May 03, 2013 1:49 am

The new star trek doesn't come out here until August ;_;
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Fri May 03, 2013 5:25 am

Krubixcube wrote:I might watch the last one when it comes out in theaters just cuz...if I'm still here.

If I could jealous hate you to death...
I had to do 6 months of constant spoiler dodging waiting for the bluray release for 3.0, I don't want to do it again ;__;.
Rainjar
Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Fri May 03, 2013 8:55 am

The problem with Iron Man 2 is that Stark doesn't have much of a character arc like he did in the first one. Also, I don't think the stakes are that high and the villains don't pose that much of a threat. It's not a bad movie on its own but compared to the first one, it's a lesser film.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by chocobot Fri May 03, 2013 4:20 pm

For some reason I just can't remember anything about Iron Man 2. I know I enjoyed it when I watched it but that's about it...

I also didn't realize Star Trek Into Darkness is coming out this month. Thanks for the reminder Twolf Razz
chocobot
chocobot
Will Eat Lizard Tails to Improve Stamina

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexC-25 Sun May 05, 2013 12:49 am

Just returned from watching Oblivion. Really liked the film. Good acting, great special effects, nice setting and I thought the story was great. Sure, the more I analysed the film, I started to see that there are things that still puzzle me, but at the same time they didn't bother me that much and the great stuff overshadows a bit the other stuff. I was also a bit surprised that M83 did the music.
AlexC-25
AlexC-25
Sand Thrower

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Sat May 11, 2013 12:08 pm

I saw Oblivion last week as well and I agree with you. I don't know why that movie is taking a beating as good as it is. Most movies don't hold up well to close scrutiny but it accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do. I suppose the only complaint is that the human refugees needed a little more development (how do you put Zoe Bell in a movie and give her so little to do?) and that the film could've used more humor (but this may be because I saw Iron Man 3 earlier that day) but that's not something that ruins the film. Props to Cruise, Olga Kurylenko and Andrea Riseborough for their great performances.

Watched Jack Reacher for a second time last night and it still holds up. I think more people are going to give that one a chance on rental and kick themselves for not seeing it last year. Such a good time.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun May 12, 2013 10:38 am

I watched The Raid...it was cool, but not nearly as badass as say...Ong Bak. It was brutal, very impressive fighting but there was needless camera jerkyness for how good the fighters were and a bit of lame CG and worst off...it just didn't...build. Cool set up though and if you're a fan of martial arts movies I'd say definitely give it a rental or a download or what have you.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon May 20, 2013 9:59 am

Only saw bits and pieces of Saturday Night Fever as a kid so it was great watching it again...that is a very good movie. Kind of depressing (in a good way)
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon May 20, 2013 12:16 pm

I watched Dale and Tucker Vs. Evil a few days ago and I loved it. Poor misunderstood rednecks. Really funny movie and anybody that's a fan of slasher/b-movies/cabin horror movies I suggest you give it a go.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Tue May 21, 2013 12:02 am

I watched Porco Rosso. That makes every Miyazaki movie for me. I liked the blend of fantasy and reality in this one. I hope he does something like that again if he continues making movies.
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by BretBaber Tue May 21, 2013 10:08 am

Are you talking about John Dies at the End? I have that in my queue as well. The director is Don Coscarelli, and I'm a big fan of his Phantasm movies. Also enjoyed Bubba Hotep with Bruce Campbell which he wrote and directed.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed May 22, 2013 7:50 am

I* heard the movie was wank but the book he wrote is very entertaining. I wouldn't say it's SUPER well written or anything but I enjoyed it...you should...read it and stuff.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu May 23, 2013 12:07 am

Watched Cloud Atlas. It was very entertaining, some very cool imagery as well that was for the most part sets and not CG which was a nice change for the Wachowskis. That said, the story felt very shallow. There were so many threads that despite the run time it never felt like the whole thing came together. Was the idea that it was all "rise up against oppression" or...I don't know.

Again, I was entertained, glad I saw it, but I can't say I "get" it. Since Neph seems to have run away I suppose I'll never hear his defense of it but it very much feels like the type of movie he likes. Lots of big quotes. I'm more about subtlety in my movies. Characters doing a 180 after small incidents tends to make me groan, but that's personal preference. Was always the reason I never got into Romeo and Juliet either. Makes me interested to read the book eventually though.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Thu May 23, 2013 9:57 am

Cloud Atlas is one of those films that (like most Wachowski Bros/Siblings films) require more than one viewing. There are several themes going on in that film but the ones most will notice are those of imprisonment (of any kind) and liberation. Those are themes that have been present in the Wachowski's films ever since Bound. I still believe it was my favorite film of last year.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu May 23, 2013 12:33 pm

What would you say (purely out of curiosity) were the other major themes you noticed?

Also, can we please agree that asian girls in white people make up is a bad idea?
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Thu May 23, 2013 2:37 pm

The cycles of human nature and how they repeat and continue throughout the stories (and therefore time), whether it be kindness, cruelty, sacrifice and heroism. It's like seeing mankind's progress throughout time as a series of peaks and valleys.
Themes of continuity and reincarnation, that is how an actor plays different characters - some sympathetic, some not - and how their actions off all have consequences down the timeline.

I'll agree that while the makeup isn't always convincing, having the same actors play different roles plays a big part in some of those themes that I've mentioned. I don't want to go into specifics because it's spoiler territory but I like how a tragic ending for some characters could lead to a happy one for other characters and vice versa.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon May 27, 2013 10:12 am

You know, the more it's sunk in the more I did like it. I want to watch it again at some point.

Prosthetics though...bad Wachowskis. Like I know it was necessary to show they were the same people but there are other ways. A character wears a necklace, has a reaction to certain objects/images, or has the birthmark...and they could have used different actors and it might have even made it cooler. Hugo weaving in yellowface is...ew. I know it might not be as faithful to the book but for making the movie work better I think it does detract a bit to have weird whiteface/yellowface makeup happening in very awkward ways that could easily ahve been avoided.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:47 pm

Friend gave me his Netflix account, got any must see recommendations? Finally watched Drive earlier which was pretty damn good, considering watching Oldboy.
Rainjar
Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:52 pm

I don't know what's on Netflix but I have many a movie recommendation.

If you like Korean cinema check out Memories of Murder, Chaser, Lady Vengeance and Thirst. If you haven't seen any good Samurai films check out Seven Samurai, and Yojimbo. Since you liked Johnny Got His Gun I have no doubts as your abilities to be patient. 

if you are SUPREMELY patient but are into the visual poem/philosophy type of movie, I'd recommend Tarkovsky's Solaris if it's on there. Fantastic film. Slow as fuck, but really really good.

I also second, Lars and the Real Girl and Hobo With a Shotgun.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 34 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20 ... 34  Next