The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Nintendo Switch Discussion

+3
SanAndreasX
volvocrusher
ajapam
7 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Nintendo Switch Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Krubixcube Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:06 am

I'm also in the linear platforming is the where the cool kids hang out club. More natural difficulty progressions, better level design...that's what I'd want to play at launch.

Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:58 am

So there was some Switch rumors addressing the launch lineup/window. Had what Trip said, but also Skyrim at launch, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Xenoblade X, and Mario Maker ports at launch window, Pikmin 4 in Fall and curiously enough, a Telltatle Guardians of the Galaxy game. That last one feels pretty plausible, yet unpredictable which makes me think that may be real.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:40 pm

I really hope the library isn't so front-loaded with Wii-U ports. If it is they'd better at least add a fair bit and/or be priced accordingly.

Been watching a few vids going more in-depth on the technology in this thing and it really sounds like the Switch will be a breeze for multiplatform developers compared to the Wii-U, which would be excellent news
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:46 pm

Looks like Dark Souls 3 is rumoured to be on the system now, possibly along with the rest of the trilogy at some point.

They're also saying the system is more powerful when docked again. Not with extra processing power or anything, it just lets the handheld overclock while cooling it with an extra fan. Seems really logical to do this imo, though I wouldn't know exactly how much of an impact that would make.

edit: Jimmy Fallon gets to play Zelda and I don't. Also Super Mario Run stuff I guess

ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:52 am

Just came to post that. Feel free to make a double post for something like that. People might not realize there is anything else was posted in the thread otherwise.

Not a whole lot to take from that I guess, but it is cool to see it running there and that they showed it on TV. I really can't wait to see more on the Switch.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:04 am

But that would be a triple post, and that's a volume of posting that I just can't commit to. The people will come to expect it and I don't want to disappoint them
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:39 am

Maybe I've missed it, but I'm waiting for them to talk about playing Wii U games. Never bought a Wii U, but there's a handful of games I'd like to play.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:11 pm

What do you mean, like digital versions on the store like there are Wii games on the Wii U? Given the rumors of so many enhanced ports, I'd say that may be unlikely probably. Obviously disc-based BC is out with the move to cartridges.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:31 am

I always told myself I'd get a Wii U when it dropped to $200 just because there wasn't enough there that interested me, and wouldn't you know that system that came out so long ago is still $300. I mean come on, the systems that are newer and more powerful can be bought for $50 cheaper right now.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:19 pm

Latest rumors have Zelda back at launch. Beyond Good & Evil 2 might have a teaser at next week's event and be a timed exclusive on Wii U (this seems like a bad idea for a game with such limited appeal doesn't it?).
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:40 am

Beyond Good & Evil is one of those games that is for the most part praised and loved by gamers and critics, but I just don't like it. I've tried multiple times to get into it, and I can't.

Any news on being able to play Wii U games by buying digitally?
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:42 am

My bet is they're going with Wii U Remasters, not BC since all the rumors point to remasters. Wii U had very strange hardware that was hard to develop for, it's the same reason Sony didn't try PS3 BC on PS4. Can almost guarantee Nintendo execs decided it would be more trouble than it's worth.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:53 am

One week until the event. What are you guys hoping they show/announce there?
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:00 am

3D Mario, Zelda release date, that the ports of Wii U games have enough extra content to make them worth a rebuy (basically as much new stuff as they added in DLC plus existing DLC), and confirmation that it's at least on par with the Xbox One in terms of power.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:02 am

I remember them saying the 3DS was as powerful as the PS3 when it came to graphics before it came out. So I wouldn't trust anything they say about how powerful something is.

As stupid as it is, I really just want them to announce that the two Zelda games they made for the Wii U (Wind and TP), and Mariokart and whatever the 3D Mario game was called. Those were the 4 games I wanted to play, but they never dropped the price of the Wii U to where I felt like I wasn't getting ripped off. Nintendo's got a lot going their way lately, so I know the new games would come a lot more for this system.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:15 pm

I don't remember them ever saying it was as powerful as a PS3. PS2 I remember which makes sense when you look at MGS3 and its Resident Evil games.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:12 pm

I'm almost positive it was PS3. I think they were talking about Street Fighter specifically. Pretty dumb to compare it to the PS2 though, since the PSP already had PS2 quality graphics for the most part.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:15 pm

Well PSP was on par with Dreamcast not PS2 so it would have made sense to make the claim. The PS3 thing never came from Nintendo's mouth, it was just a rumor and those have even more absurd claims.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:40 pm

Nintendo doesn't seem to reveal actual specs so I'm not sure what we'll have to go on regarding power. Maybe just some multiplatform games being shown so we can see how they look?

I want 3D Mario and Zelda release dates (at least one should be at launch. I would have said mario but now it looks like Zelda?) a price point at $300 or lower like what's rumoured, confirmation that the grip controller thing is included, a solid virtual console line-up at launch with a way for our previous purchases to carry over, and I want to know if visuals will be downgraded in any way other than resolution when undocked.
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:55 pm

http://n4g.com/news/611164/developers-compare-nintendo-3ds-graphics-with-ps3-and-xbox360

Just one article I found. I don't remember who said it but I read it a long time ago. It was just as the 3DS was releasing. I probably read it on IGN, that usually where I go for gaming articles anymore.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:44 pm

I have pretty much convinced myself I will get it at launch (which may be a mistake given how little I have seen, I guess I will see if I feel the same after this next presentation). I just hope that it will be easy to get if I want to.

Give me Zelda or Mario at launch. Either way and I'm fine. I hope we get a good idea of what kind of Mario game it is regardless. I want them to show me that them bailing on the Wii U the way they did will at least payoff early on for the Switch. If they are throwing their handheld teams at it, this should be doubly true. Hope it isn't mostly ports either.

Probably not happening here if they show the 3D and RPG Mario games, but I hope there is another true 2D Mario game in the future. Mario Maker in its current form does not replace that in my opinion. I'd love to see them do interesting mid-budget titles like Captain Toad in the future too to flesh out their line-up. Any sign of that here would be good.

Mario Kart 8 with a good battle mode, all the DLC and some new tracks (how many is realistic to ask for here? 8?) would be cool. I second ajapam's point that the grip is included. I'd been assuming it would be, but they shipped a system without a charge cable before, so who knows. Hope the rumored $249-299 price point is true. If it is over $300, I don't think that would go over well at all.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:50 pm

I think 8 is a reasonable number of tracks to expect, would be 4 new and 4 retro though rather than 8 brand new ones.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:11 pm

Right, I meant new to MK8. Some being retro is to be expected. 4 and 4 would be cool with me.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:41 am

@aja- I think a good way to have an idea of what the specs are like is to see what games are shown off. If this thing has almost entirely 7th gen remasters and mid tier/indie games from third parties, it wouldn't be that powerful. If I see Doom running fine though, I can rest easy.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:08 pm

I guess this is in the description of the Switch on Gamestop's website:

Nintendo Switch games will include new title offerings from Mario, Splatoon, Zelda, the NBA and more! You will even be able to play Skyrim on the go, or Pokemon at home with the Nintendo Switch.

Just more evidence of the rumored Pokemon game coming to the Switch.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:38 am

Conference thoughts...

Conference itself: rather dull. Very frontloaded with price/launch, re-explanation of stuff that we already knew, and party games. The interpreters didn't help in that regard (I don't even know what Suda 51 said because of the guy they had for him. Did anyone catch that?)

System details: ... meh. $300 is good for americans but puts my price at $400. Paid online is really disappointing unless it comes at a much better price than the competition. The joy-con details were interesting even though they spent too much time on them. Oh and finally I know it comes with the grip, so that's good. I didn't notice Todd Howard say anything about Skyrim being the remastered version, which worries me. $400 canadian is pretty steep for something that can only handle vanilla Skyrim.

Games: Zelda looked great (old news,) Mario looked great, Xenoblade looked great, new SMT and Square RPGs are good grabs for the future of the system. Any excitement I have for Splatoon 2 is dampered by the paid online, same goes for the MK8 remaster. 1-2 Switch is something I'll probably never have the chance to play, same goes for Arms (which I tuned out of once they said you use motion controls for movement.) EA game was Fifa just like I feared. Year 1 looks pretty decent for exclusives but launch still seems weak, especially since Zelda is cross-gen. Fire Emblem warriors is a warriors game

Not as good of a showing as it needed to be. I'll be picking up Zelda for Wii-U and waiting until at least the holidays for the Switch. I'm feeling good about some of the games we've seen thus far but they'll need to keep it up. Pokemon/Monster Hunter to start, then the pikmins and metroids
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:13 am

I have one preordered and there's a good amount of games shown off that excite me, but I'm not happy with paid online. Splatoon 2 needs a much better single player and/or local MP now.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:30 am

I was pretty disappointed with the presentation. I think the price of the console was fine. For its greater success, I was hoping for $250, but I have no problem paying $300. Extra controllers and the like are pretty expensive though and on-board memory is very low, so that is another (if low) cost to add on. The online subscription thing was eye-roll worthy. I can't imagine Nintendo jumping the light years ahead necessary to make it worth paying for their online. Luckily, I don't play much Nintendo stuff online I guess.

They didn't really show a lot to get me excited on the games front though which is what really let me down. Zelda looks dope. No question about that. Mario I didn't love. While I mentioned before being okay with them going back to more of a hub-style, I think open-world goes a bit too far off in the opposite direction of Galaxy for me. The sort of real-world settings were really off-putting to me too. I'm sure I will like the game, but this first showing deflated my hype a bit. I'm glad Splatoon is getting a full-on sequel instead of an enhanced port like some of the rumors said, but the pay for online thing puts a damper on my excitement for that. Obviously, some of the other stuff shown was a bit out of my wheelhouse.

A little too much focus on motion controls for my taste too and I was shocked to see the price of the games they were showing for that. I think the controller/tablet still looks pretty cool though. I was a big fan of Off-TV play on Wii U which I'll still be able to do here. Battery life sounds lame considering the shit I'll be playing will likely be on that low-end.

All that said, I pre-ordered one. I'm pretty sure I'll keep it, but I just figured be safe and pre-order and I can always cancel later. I was just really hoping they'd show a bit more of their hand in regard to future support of the system. I'm a bit gun-shy after the Wii U. I know Nintendo doesn't like to show games way ahead of time anymore (Zelda notwithstanding), but I feel like the console announcement is the time to entice me with some further out projects. Tease what Retro is doing. Something big like that. I don't know. I was expecting more I guess.

Still I think I'd rather play Zelda on Switch and had sort of convinced myself I was going to get one at launch over the past few months, even putting money aside for it a while back. So I will probably keep the pre-order, but I was expecting to be super hyped and I am not.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:33 am

One thing I found out is the pay wall for online doesn't go up until October so I'll at least rent Splatoon now. Online after October unless it's $20, maybe $30 a year is a no go for me though
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:56 am

Yeah, they announced that in the conference. I'll probably try and rent Splatoon 2 as well.

The new Battle Mode for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe looks awesome, but it seems there are no new racing tracks? That is kind of a bummer if true.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next