The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Nintendo Switch Discussion

+3
SanAndreasX
volvocrusher
ajapam
7 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Nintendo Switch Discussion Empty Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by ajapam Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:45 pm

According to Nintendo of America's twitter there will be a "preview trailer" for the NX tomorrow at 7am PT. Hopefully it's more than just an announcement of the actual reveal date :\

Worth noting that Nintendo's website specifically refers to it as a *home* gaming system.

EDIT: It looks really neat. Great for splitscreen gaming. I feel like I'll have to hold it in my hand before I'm sold on the controller, though. Also, lots of interesting games in that trailer. That wasn't just a plain MK8 port
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Nintendo Switch Discussion Empty Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by volvocrusher Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:45 am

I really like the look of this system. Think I'll pick one up at launch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c6MWsEE884
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:11 pm

If Switch truly does allow TV and handheld functionality as well as they say it does, I'm sold. I like handheld gaming, but I still prefer gaming on my TV, and there were so many DS/3DS games that I sorely wished were playable on a big screen. I'd like to be able to have one without sacrificing the other.

And if they get good solid third party support, all the better. I'd be happy to have a Nintendo system that also has Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Valkyria Chronicles, Yakuza, Tales, Mortal Kombat, Fallout, and a lot of other stuff on it, and one that can play those franchises on a full size TV screen.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:12 pm

Looks pretty much exactly like the rumors suggested, so no surprises there. Assuming they will be throwing all their development teams at it that will be what excites me the most. I'm not sure I will use much of these other new functionalities like the multiplayer on the go thing, but they are definitely neat. It'll probably be like a Wii U for me. Mostly played on the big screen with the occasional time spent on the handheld part while I watch sports or something. I will obviously get this, but I do still feel a bit burnt by how Nintendo supported the Wii U. I guess I just have to hope this catches on more, so that won't happen again. More internal development going towards it would obviously help though.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:35 pm

A couple more things after rewatching the trailer:

1. No one actually wants to play with just one of those tiny little detachable controller things right?

2. If the system has to be docked to play on TV, does that mean no touch screen focused games?

I am really excited to see more on the Mario and Mario Kart games. What do you guys think the system will cost?
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:38 pm

I'd guess $300 based on rumors. They could advertise tablet functionality too. I think there will be touch screen games on it, just not ones that you play on a TV. I mean, no looked at the TV for that Kirby game so I feel that it will just be some games are meant for the TV and some aren't.

Agree on the controllers, but feel it could just be a matter of convenience. Like you're playing Mario Kart while out of the house and a friend shows up so you take them off to play together. Not ideal, but there.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:04 pm

I'd be surprised if it wasn't 300-400 US. Leaning towards the lower end of that scale

What do you all think of the name? I've heard mixed impressions but I think it at least gets the point across
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:36 pm

Decided to split this into it's own thread.

$300 is what I am expecting. Thinking about it some more, this seems more traditional than recent Nintendo systems. One screen. No focus on touch or motion controls in the trailer as far as I remember. Obviously there are the detachable controllers, but as far as how actual games will play it seems more traditional. Though no traditional d-pad on the base controller because of the detachable multiplayer aspect.

Edit: I like the name. At the least a big step up from some of the recent naming shit they have done.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:52 pm

The "Switch" is a descriptive name, to say the least. I'd have gone for "Ultimate Nintendo Entertainment System" or "Ultra Nintendo Entertainment System," but the last really neat console name I've seen was "PlayStation."
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:01 am

Any mention of it being backwards compatible? I really would like a Wii U someday, but don't want to buy one if they're going to be obsolete.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:15 am

No word officially but it seems very unlikely to me given the design. Also didn't see any dual-screen sort of stuff in the video which isn't reassuring

Personally I think we're at the point where at least digital purchases should be carried over to the next console generation but nobody's delivered on that yet, so...
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:50 am

I really like the concept but like all Nintendo consoles the games need to back it up.

I agree with ajapam on digital purchases at least. I mean, I get that putting in the backwards compatibility for those old consoles is tough but the new ones are essentially just PC games.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:17 am

The actual look and design of the thing is pretty slick especially compared to other Nintendo hardware which is a plus. Sounding like a lot of ports from Wii U (Splatoon, Mario Kart, Zelda plus I assume Smash Bros. and Mario Maker) which I'm less enthused about. I think it will be easier to get excited about once I have seen some more original games. But unlike other recent Nintendo hardware, I'm not really left wondering how they will adapt various things to it because this hardware is actually pretty straight forward. I guess I'm just wanting to see what games they are making and what they are like. There's not really a question of like how will it use motion controls or the touch screen this time.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:00 am

I think that aspect of it will hopefully make it a lot more friendly to 3rd parties (Nintendo's seemingly eternal problem)
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:21 pm

I like the name. Simple, but effective. From what I heard there's a few things people pointed about the Mario Kart footage indicating it's a new game and not just 8 remastered. Smash Bros I'd actually prefer a remastered version, just add things like a new Subspace Emissionary and more fighters instead of starting over from scratch again.

Mario Maker would be perfect on this thing since I assume the tablet will have a touch screen then let you put it on the TV to play the levels. I'd like for it to come with a full 2D Mario though, possibly based around switching between different artstyles to get past obstacles (like sometimes you need World's spin jump or NSMB's jump pound). Splatoon I'd like a full sequel with a beefier single player and more multiplayer options.
I'd like to see what Retro is up to with this thing also. Three years is a good amount of time to have a launch game ready....
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:44 pm

When I first saw Mario Kart, I thought it was a new game. King Boo wasn't in 8 and there is a two item system present (I was imagining being able to "Switch" between items, so maybe it'd even be called Mario Kart Switch). The track is a classic one so not much to take from that (looks exactly like 8's version though). And while the HUD seems very much like 8's that could be placeholder for all I know. But then the same insiders that were right about what the NX would be were saying it was an enhanced port of some kind, so now I'm not sure. I would obviously much rather it be a new game.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:57 pm

I wonder if the Mario Kart Switch idea you brought up could clue us in on the next Mario platformer. Could see it working where you switch between to characters or worlds all the time.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:40 pm

We should definitely be diving deep and figuring out Switch mechanics to work into all of Nintendo's franchises.

Obviously I'm asking to base this on very little info, but do you guys think this will be successful? Have anybody talked to more casual gamers to see if this holds any appeal? Obviously I was always going to get this despite my grousing about the Wii U because I know I will want to play its Nintendo exclusives. I'm not the person that will make or break this though.

Also I really hope we get a 2D Zelda of sorts on this in a few years.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:42 pm

I've talked to a few of my friends who game more casually. The ones who already have a PS4 or XB1 aren't really interested because they find the time to game, but there's some who want to get back into gaming and like the idea of how it would make things more convenient. The question is how big that market is.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:58 pm

I got to thinking about it and I realized this could be a pretty big deal for younger kids and their parents, especially parents who are already gamers. You get access to high-quality family-oriented games (including tons a lot of us grew up with,) splitscreen right out of the box to play with your kids, and it's easy for them to play with their friends as well. Unlike other systems which mostly deliver solitary experiences rated M and up (even T rated games seem rare in the AAA space these days.)

I don't know exactly how kids are getting into games these days, but if I was a parent and my kid seemed interested in gaming at all, I'd get a Switch for sure

Seems like it'd be great at a University or college, too. Could play console games without bugging your roommate, play splitscreen without paying extra, and have big game parties easily. If I get one at launch and do another exchange I'll probably bring it along with me

Has anyone read anything about whether or not the grip thing will come with the controller? I'm really hoping it does
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:15 am

Two new rumors I saw today (not sure if these were updated at all):

1. There will be a $249 base sku and another at $299 with more storage and a pack-in game.

2. Zelda might actually be a Summer 2017 game.

Those prices would be great I think. Maybe an enhanced Mario Kart as the pack-in? I think I had been assuming Zelda would be there at launch though, but I'm not sure why now. Maybe I was jumping to conclusions or was that hinted at?
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:50 pm

Zelda was said to be coming in March before, I think. It's a bit of a bummer if it's not a launch title but hopefully it's out within the first few months if this is true.

Those prices would be excellent for me. I dunno what it means for power but it's definitely appealing at that price
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:59 pm

That price (if it's true) is super affordable! Makes me even more excited and I haven't been excited for a Nintendo console in a while! As always, I just hope the game library is there to back it up!
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:53 pm

More rumors:

-That 3D Mario is a launch title. It has a hub-base to choose worlds from so presumably more 64/Sunshine/Galaxy than 3D Land/World.
-Mario Kart is an enhanced version of 8 with new tracks, racers and a new battle mode.
-An enhanced version of Splatoon is the pack-in with the higher-end Switch sku.

If the 3D Mario is at launch, I'd probably get one at launch then assuming those prices are right.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:56 pm

I hope the next 3D Mario is closest to Galaxy. I wouldn't mind hubs, so long as they lead to more linear, challenging areas.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:34 pm

I'd prefer Galaxy style as well, but I know there are people that prefer the 64-style. After having a few of the more linear ones in a row, if they throw those other weirdos a bone, I guess that is fine.

Feels like there is a new Switch rumor every day. Today is a Mario RPG with Rabbids involved by Ubisoft and Pokemon Stars (third pillar to Sun and Moon).
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:52 pm

I'm wondering the credibility of the Stars rumor since there isn't a third legendary Pokemon to represent them like how Emerald had Rayquaza who was a green dragon. There is one legendary who can have a new form that fits this though but we'd have to wait and see on that.

As for the weirdos, they have Yooka-Laylee and A Hat in Time for that itch. We've got nothing on the way for the Galaxy itch, which is a better use of Nintendos talent. It takes a lot more talent and creativity for Galaxy levels than 64 hubs IMO.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:27 pm

I would have liked Galaxy so much more if it was an actual controller. Being a lefty, it just wasn't much fun for me to play Wii games. I beat the first one and really liked it, but man I would have liked it so much more with a regular controller. So if they do make it a Galaxy game, I'd be pretty happy to use a normal controller.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:48 am

To be honest, I don't think Yooka-Laylee and Hat in Time combined will be equal to one Mario game in that vein let alone the potential five in a decade we would be getting on the linear side, so I'm not sure that is a fair trade-off in my mind. I'm not trying to argue for an inferior brand of Mario either, so yeah, let's say that should satiate them.

I also think Stars may have just been a codename the rumor was using. It was more a second rumor of that third game being on Switch that felt relevant.

I usually just paraphrase the rumors to spark some discussion because I assume everyone here has seen them before I post them.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:26 pm

Yeah, I get that, it's just that if Nintendo makes a 64 style Mario platformer, it will be better than them, but not that much better. Compare that to a Galaxy style one where they're still miles ahead of the competition. I feel the Galaxy style puts their talent to better use.

Pokemon I could see Eclipse being its real name since there is a shadow Pokemon who can very easily have a new form. We'll see next year.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next