The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Now Playing

+13
Motinator
Rainjar
avidacridjam
TripOpt55
TheMatt
Krubixcube
SanAndreasX
ajapam
Miraculous Kaydybug
volvocrusher
pspiddy
KillaAssassin11
BretBaber
17 posters

Page 16 of 34 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 25 ... 34  Next

Go down

Now Playing - Page 16 Empty Re: Now Playing

Post by SanAndreasX Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:18 pm

Punch-Out!! is one of my favorite Wii games. In some ways, it's as deep as a blow-up wading pool, but it's pretty damn fun. You'll do best at it if you think of it as a rhythm game. Only instead of listening to music and hitting the buttons when the arrows match up, you're watching the facial and verbal cues from your opponent.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:07 pm

Playing Skate again. It reminds me of a time when trophies and PS+ weren't things yet and you couldn't access the xmb while in-game (that's crazy.) I really miss the ability to walk from the sequels but it's still a blast.

I played a lot more of these games back on the Ps2. In the Dave Mirra BMX game I even had my own signature trick. The 720 double backflip barspin tailwhip. Anything that could spin was spun, basically
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:19 am

Mot wrote:Okay then, I'm between Arkham City and LEGO Marvel.

I did play Skyrim last though. I think I'll play it like once every week. I literally have a love/hate relationship with it. I really enjoyed it for a couple of hours—re-orienting myself, talking to Alduin, watching a giant fighting a dragon (and stealing his kill and running from the giant, looping around a hill so that I get the soul), going through a dwarf ruin. But then I run into a group of three strong enemies and just get obliterated. I realise that I need to get better (I always forget to use shouts) but it still just pisses me off, running backwards, drinking every healing potion I have.

It's almost as if the combat is fucking terrible. Alduin and the entire main story line is the shittest thing, you just fast travel clicking X through all the conversations because huehuehue who needs actual dialogue choices in their RPGs.

Skyrim a shit.
Rainjar
Rainjar
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:23 am

SanAndreasX wrote:Punch-Out!! is one of my favorite Wii games. In some ways, it's as deep as a blow-up wading pool, but it's pretty damn fun. You'll do best at it if you think of it as a rhythm game. Only instead of listening to music and hitting the buttons when the arrows match up, you're watching the facial and verbal cues from your opponent.
I have played the original on NES and just never got around to this one. So I sort of know what to expect but was curious what people around here thought of it.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:18 am

TripOpt55 wrote:
SanAndreasX wrote:Punch-Out!! is one of my favorite Wii games. In some ways, it's as deep as a blow-up wading pool, but it's pretty damn fun. You'll do best at it if you think of it as a rhythm game. Only instead of listening to music and hitting the buttons when the arrows match up, you're watching the facial and verbal cues from your opponent.
I have played the original on NES and just never got around to this one. So I sort of know what to expect but was curious what people around here thought of it.

It has a decent amount of content for what it is. There are twelve distinct boxers, and you fight them through two rotations. In the second rotation (Title Defense) they generally learn to cover up whatever it is their weak point was in the first rotation. Getting your ass kicked by Glass Joe or Von Kaiser is kind of a humbling experience. I don't know what kind of criteria you have to fulfill to get Donkey Kong.

Graphics are some of the best on the Wii. They're cartoony, so they can look good with the Wii's reduced resolution, and the characters are as expressive as ever. I use the Wii Remote by itself to play, which means you use it just like a NES control pad. You can also use the nunchuck to mime throwing punches or you can even use the Wii Balance Board for the full body effect. I'd stick with the Wii-mote.

Most of the classic boxers fight pretty much the same way they do on the NES. It's a little faster and more responsive, and there's a lot more different animation cues. Example: Soda Popinski will drink a bottle of "soda" from time to time (which, the game never implies that he's drinking vodka or any other booze, it's just hard to dispel that image). If you can knock it out of his hand, it will piss him off and he will charge at you.

The one thing I'd caution you about is the fact that the characters are also as blatantly stereotypical as ever, so I don't know how good you are with that. Stuff that was okay in 1980-something may or may not seem so okay in 2014. Both the home country of the publisher (Piston Hondo, from Japan) and the developer (Bear Hugger, from Canada) are skewered along with everyone else. If you're good with Glass Joe being the stereotypical wimpy French dude, Soda Popinski being a stereotypical Russian drunk, or Aran Ryan being a cheating batshit crazy Irish stereotype, cool. The animations are funny, and they apparently hired native speakers of the characters' in-game languages to do the character voices.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:31 am

I've watched a lot of let's plays of punch out...I like that kind of game. It's that classic pattern memorization that makes time trialing levels in the Rayman games or (like San said) a good rhythm game that I really get into. If only I had a wii...or a wii u. But I'm not rich and currently own no TV so....
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:36 am

Got Titanfall on PC because it was either that or spend money on it and more XBL. Since my PC can run it smooth enough and my cousin can play with me, I definitely made the right choice. This game is just so ridiculously fun.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:43 pm

Put in what must have been 8 hours in Assassin's Creed IV last night, doing side quests and treasure hunting. Fucking hell, this game will never end...
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:15 pm

SanAndreasX wrote:Awesome Punchout description.
The stereotypes don't bother me a bit in Punchout. Part of the charm I say!
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:58 pm

Been replaying MGS2. I'm enjoying the gameplay so much more this time around and been paying much closer attention to the all the detail in the game. I also got some rhythm game called Cytus or something for the Vita. It's pretty neat, not enough songs with lyrics in though. Picked up Hotline Miami for the Vita too despite having finished it on the PC because it was £2.50 which is more than worth it.
Rainjar
Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:40 pm

ajapam wrote:I played a lot more of these games back on the Ps2. In the Dave Mirra BMX game I even had my own signature trick. The 720 double backflip barspin tailwhip. Anything that could spin was spun, basically

I have a friend who's played that game A LOT as well. All I was ever good at was Wipeout—such a good multiplayer, pass-the-controller mode.
Motinator
Motinator
Has a Bad Case of Headcrabs

Back to top Go down

Post by KillaAssassin11 Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:43 pm

Finally got my platinum in Dark Souls 2 so I can stop playing that for a while. Renewed my subscription for Final Fantasy XIV so I could give it a shot on the PS4. Gamefly also sent me a copy of Need 4 Speed Rivals. Not really what I wanted but it will do.
KillaAssassin11
KillaAssassin11
Asks for the "Guile" at the Barbershop

http://www.unknownconnection.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:13 am

If you buy the PS3 copy of FF14 you get the PS4 free as a downloadable game right? If so I might have to do it since Wal-Mart is selling the PS3 copy for $25.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:30 am

Yes you can trade your ps3 license for a ps4 license. You dont keep the ps3 version though.

Also spiddy its an mmo there are no uick matches and ppv really isnt much of a thing yet. You party up and do dungeons and shit
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug
Sees Tetris Blocks EVERYWHERE

http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/stabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:51 am

lol i was wondering what you were talking about
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:06 am

I was confused because I thought "He knows just as much about Final Fantasy games as me, if not more." I'll take on any in a game of FIFA though.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:05 pm

I just brushed it off as one of those classic spiddy posts I just couldn't decipher the meaning of.

Anywho, I started up Sleeping Dogs today after recently hearing praise for its Arkham-esque melee combat. Curious to see how it stacks up.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:13 pm

I wouldn't rate Sleeping Dogs combat as highly as the Arkham games, but it's definitely similar. Except in Sleeping Dogs you get to hit people with fish at nightclubs, so it balances out
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:38 am

A Crash racing game was actually one of the iPhone/iTouch's first successful games.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:41 am

The combat seems okay in Sleeping Dogs, but I'm not really digging the game much so far. But I've yet to hit someone with a fish in a nightclub, so I haven't lost hope yet.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:30 am

if the game doesnt support analog go to the control settings (hold down the ps button then click settings, controls) and set the analog stick to d-pad commands. I've found that this can even work better than standard analog in some games that support it.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:42 pm

@Trip, Sleeping Dogs is overall pretty mediocre in almost every respect so don't expect it to get any better really. I enjoyed it quite a bit personally, mostly due to the environment. I actually much prefer it to Grand Theft Auto V even if it's arguably objectively worse in every way. Pretty excited for the sequel.
Rainjar
Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:38 pm

Most PS1 games look like shit on a big screen. The only ones that look decent are PS1 era Final Fantasy games because of the pre-rendered backgrounds. Characters and battles kind of look like shit.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 34 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 25 ... 34  Next