The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Top Five Spinoff Games

+6
Krubixcube
SanAndreasX
Miraculous Kaydybug
volvocrusher
pspiddy
TripOpt55
10 posters

Go down

Top Five Spinoff Games Empty Top Five Spinoff Games

Post by TripOpt55 Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:11 am

This week tell us about your five favorite spinoff games. I will let you guys use your own judgment here, but stuff that isn't a part of the mainline series I guess. Or that wacky puzzle game/racer in the series you love. Stuff like that.

Bonus Question: Are there any spinoffs you prefer to the main series?

Last edited by TripOpt55 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Top Five Spinoff Games Empty Re: Top Five Spinoff Games

Post by volvocrusher Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:46 am

1. Phantasy Star Online- Spent so many hours playing this thing. Game was just crazy addicting and so much fun. Definitely prefer this to main Phantasy Star, can't wait for 2 to hit the Vita.

2. Metal Gear Rising: Revengence- I was actually thinking this morning how perfect of a spin-off this is. MGS games are great, but you're really limited in what Snake can do, so to have a game where you're throwing Metal Gears around and cutting up enemies in one of the most fun combat systems I've ever played is awesome.

3. Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing Transformed- Best kart racer I've ever played. Also my favorite racing game ever.

4. Crash Team Racing- Another great kart racer that used to be my favorite one ever. Great game.

5. Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga- One of the few RPGs I loved before I liked RPGs. I love how the combat works, the crazy story, and the Bean Bean Kingdom is one of my favorite areas in the Mario universe.

Honorable mention: Pokemon Conquest- This game would get a spot on my list if it didn't hate me. I spent so many hours grinding to evolve my Pokemon only for those stats necessary to never go up even as years would pass in the game. Still crazy fun and addicting, but it hates me so much.

Also I prefer the Warioware games to Wario Land games and the Wario Land games to the two Mario Land games on the Game Boy. So the spin-off of the spin-off is my favorite there.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:50 pm

What about Persona, and the non-main series titles in Shin Megami Tensei. Though to be fair SMT has more spinoffs than main titles
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug
Sees Tetris Blocks EVERYWHERE

http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/stabs

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:13 pm

1. Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1) - I actually consider this as much a part of the main series as any of the numbered games, and I know I'm not the only one who does.

2. Xenoblade Chronicles - a spinoff of Xenogears, one of my favorite games of all time.

3. Panzer Dragoon Saga - the main PD series is a 3-D rail shooter like Star Fox, this is a supremely awesome RPG.

4. BlazBlue - a spinoff from Guilty Gear that was made when ASW lost the rights to the Guilty Gear franchise (they regained those rights, however).

5. Mega Man Legends - the only Mega Man game I ever really got into.

In answer to the bonus question, Panzer Dragoon Saga and Mega Man Legends from this list were far more enjoyable to me than their core series, and I'd also rate FF Tactics near the top of the Final Fantasy series, perhaps behind only FF7 and FF12. I still prefer Guilty Gear over BlazBlue and I still like Xenogears far better than Xenoblade (or Xenosaga, for that matter).

Last edited by SanAndreasX on Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:18 pm

pspiddy wrote:I know reboots don't count (mentioned in the feedback thread) but do games like Onimusha count? It was originally a RE game. Jsut trying to find the parameters before I screw everything up as per usual.

By that token, I'd wonder if we could count Bayonetta as a spinoff of Devil May Cry (I don't think it started as a DMC, but it was made by the same folks and included improved versions of the same mechanics), and in that case, I liked Bayonetta better than any DMC game.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:43 pm

Onimusha and Bayonetta are really reaching. Assassin's Creed started as a Prince of Persia game, but no one considers it a spinoff series. So I say no to them. Persona sounds like it counts, but I'm pretty unfamiliar with that series and the one it spun off from.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:19 pm

I might be streching the rules here with a few, but

1. Persona 4/Persona 4 Golden: It's my favorite game of all time, I think everyone here knows that.

2. Final Fantasy XII: It's technickally a spinoff of FFT since it takes place in Ivalice even though its part of the "main series". It has my favorite battle system ever even to the point where i didnt really care about the story I just wanted to play more. Easily put like 500 hours into it or more.

3. Persona 3/Persona 3 FES/ P3P: Cause Persona

4. Persona 4 Arena: See above.

5. Devil Survivor 2: It's basically like Persona 4 but an SRPG so.

Maybe i should come back and think of one without Megaten spinoffs later.

Also the bonus question should answered in the list Razz
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:39 pm

I think you are trying too hard to sneak in your favorite games here maybe... haha. Like try one without mainline Persona games (Arena is fine) and no Final Fantasy XII just for the heck of it. I know I said Persona was fine, but just for variety's sake if you feel like doing another list, try to go without.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:48 pm

Xenoblade is related to Xenogears? Since when?
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:03 pm

Prince of Persia (2008)-- I figure this should count? It's the only positive thing that could come of them not continuing with it.

Crash Team Racing-- I've never actually played through any other Crash games but I sure played the heck out of this one.

MGR: Revegeance-- Played through it twice now. All the benefits of the metal gear universe without having to psyche myself into stealth mode before I turn it on.

more to come???
Motinator
Motinator
Has a Bad Case of Headcrabs

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:24 pm

Super Puzzle Fighter II
The Typing of the Dead
Dr. Mario
Tetris Attack
Mario Kart: Double Dash
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:54 am

I'm just gonna think of some that I enjoy. The ranking is just the order I type them in.

Super Smash Bros.- Melee is one of my favorite games of all time. So hooray!

Mario Party- I have broken many a controller playing the original Mario Party. Whenever I get together with my buddies from high school we always sneak in a game of Mario Party.

Pokemon Snap- I really should try this game out on the Virtual console to see if it holds up, but I remember really loving this game back in the day. Such a cool idea. Almost as good of an idea of putting a full Pokemon game on a console. One can only hope...

Super Mario RPG- I would lose my shit if they made a Super Mario RPG2 with the return of Mallow and Geno. I know that's typical Nintendo rehashing stuff based on nostalgia... but I'm just saying. I'd buy it.

Kingdom Hearts- I was thinking if this is a spinoff or not... and besides Sora and his buds from the island... it's a spinoff of every other character.
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:02 am

I'd argue Kingdom Hearts as a Final Fantasy spinoff...kind of? I'm REALLY struggling with this. I never played FF Tactics in enough detail to warrant it. Was never a big cart racing fan so Mario Cart and CTR are out. Haven't owned any handhelds except the DS and a gameboy/gameboy color...so missed a lot of that. So my list will be shitty and not really favorite games just the only ones I can think of that I enjoyed.

1. Mario and Luigi RPGs for the DS

2. Metal Gear Solid VR Missions...yeah I went there. People call me a not "real" MGS fan. I own every game in the seires twice or three times and I bought this game WHEN IT CAME OUT. So screw all y'all.

3. Kingdom Hearts - I'm counting it

4. Typing of the Dead - just recently got it again for PC...fucking...so addictive.

5. Xenosaga...hear me out. I know originally they were all like "maybe it's a prequel" since Xenogears was all like "episode IV" or whatever at the end but they threw that out by the end of hte first game and it became a game with similar characters and themes but it's own...thing. Right?
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:05 pm

I'd call KH a FF spinoff, as it uses a lot of FF assets and characters and it's made by the FF team. Xenosaga is also a legit Xenogears spinoff.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by chocobot Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:48 pm

Persona 3/4- Shin Megami Tensei games are always great but I prefer Persona for their focus on story and characters.

Metal Gear Rising- A Metal Gear action game by Platinum is pretty much a dream come true. One of the best action games I've ever played.

Persona 4 Arena- spinoff of a spinoff.. and an awesome one. Who knew Persona could be a great fighting game too.

Paper Mario- fun and simple RPG mechanics and awesome goofy dialogue had me addicted to the first few games. Couldn't get into Sticker Star though :/

Pokemon Puzzle League- I don't remember or care if this was actually a good puzzle game, I just remember playing this game for hours, talking to my best friend on the phone about... Pokemon. Good times.

I never really thought of Kingdom Hearts or the Xeno games as spinoffs so I didn't include them in my list.
chocobot
chocobot
Will Eat Lizard Tails to Improve Stamina

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:53 pm

Fine here's one with out SMT stuff.

1. Metal Gear Rising: An game in my third favorite genre with my second favorite Metal Gear character. Now if they would only make an action RPG with The Boss.

2. Phantasy Star Portable 2: I have some odd memories with it since i spent A LOT of my time on it playing with an ex long story. That said I'm not sure I'll ever be able to pick it up again but I did get a good 300 hours out of it and did enjoy it a lot.

3. Dissidia Duodecim: I spent a lot of time with this too it had a god awful fucking dumb story but combat was a lot of fun. I also made a bunch of alternate death scenes for Tellah in its story creator LOOOOOOOOL.

4. Super Paper Mario: I know its blasphemy but its my favorite Mario game. Blending 2D Mario with Paper Mario was genius.

Dead or Alive Xtreme 2: I'm not ranking this cause i dont really want to XD. Also.....uhm yeah.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down