The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Movies You've Watched Recently

+18
Rainjar
chocobot
Motinator
TripOpt55
ajapam
BretBaber
Methane_Max
pspiddy
Captain N
Nephilimi
AlexC-25
Krubixcube
Keith_Games
volvocrusher
avidacridjam
b.b.hagen
Bannen
TheMatt
22 posters

Page 28 of 34 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34  Next

Go down

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 28 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by BretBaber Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:47 pm

Sounds like you only watched 2 episodes from what I gather, am I correct in thinking that?
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 28 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by Krubixcube Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:38 pm

You know, I have still not seen Jackie Brown. I know...I know. Maybe in honor of your Tarantino marathon I'll watch it.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:16 am

Jackie Brown is the worst of his movies. I've only ever watched it once, but I do own it on blu-ray and intend on giving it another chance.

The first season's only real good episode is the last one, "Prophecy Girl". During season 2 they start establishing writers that are there for the duration of the show, and there is less "monster of the week" episodes, but they still do happen but they're executed better mainly due to better dialogue and character growth throughout the season. If you were to ever start it back up again, I'll list the episodes that should be watched, and I won't list the ones that should be skipped.

Episode 1 - When She Was Bad
Episode 3 - School Hard
Episode 5 - Halloween
Episode 6 - Lie To Me
Episode 7 - The Dark Age
Episode 8 - What's My Line? Part 1
Episode 9 - What's My Line? Part 2
Episode 10 - Ted (can be skipped, but it's got John Fucking Ritter in it, and he's hilarious. My favorite line from it is... "How about a nice game of Parcheesi."
Episode 12 - Surprise
Episode 13 - Innocence
Episode 14 - Phases
Episode 15 - Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered
Episode 16 - Passion
Episode 18 - Killed by Death
Episode 19 - I Only Have Eyes For You
Episode 21 - Becoming, Part 1
Episode 22 - Becoming, Part 2

If by episode 13 you're still not digging it, then I don't think you will. There's a big cliffhanger after 12 and at 13 everything kicks up and if it doesn't interest you here, then it probably never will. If you do decide to watch and need a refresher I'd be happy to try and fill you in on what happened during season 1.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:37 am

I'm up for that. Will whack it up presently.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:38 am

Welcome to the Hellmouth/The Harvest - Buffy moves from her old school in LA to Sunnydale. The show kind of picks up where the movie left off. Buffy got kicked out of her old school for burning down the gym because it was full of vampires. Her parents have divorced. Leaving LA she hopes to leave the past behind her. When she goes to pick up her books she meets her librarian/watcher Giles. She's reluctant to continue her duty as slayer, but then a classmate dies and he's got vampire bites so she starts kicking ass. She meets Angel who tells her Sunnydale is on a Hellmouth, which is a gateway to hell that draws monsters, demons, etc... to it. She makes some friends in Willow, Xander, and Jesse. Xander overhears her talking to Giles about how she's a slayer, so the secret is kind of out of the bag with her new friends. at The Bronze (local hangout), Jesse and Willow get taken by some vampires. Buffy saves Willow but is too late for Jesse, he gets turned into a vampire but she kills him because she's bad ass. We also learn of a super bad ass vampire called "The Master". He's been imprisoned in a church due to an earth quake. He's been trapped there since the 30's. He sends out a henchmen named Luke who will act as a vessel, the more people he kills, the more power the Master becomes. At the Bronze he starts killing some lame teenagers, but Buffy kicks ass like always and saves the day. The Master's plans to walk on earth and cause all sorts of chaos is thwarted. Yay team!

The Witch - Mentioning this episode only because the daughter of the Witch plays a bigger role in the show later on down the road.

Never Kill A Boy on the First Date - We learn of a small boy that is called Anointed One, who will usher in an apocalypse and help free The Master.

The Pack - At the zoo, some classmates (Xander included) get possessed by a hyena demon or some shit. I only mention this because they end up (not Xander) eating Principal Flutie. Luckily Principal Snyder is now introduced, and he's hilarious (the actor that voices Dr. Nefarious). He's menacing.

Angel - We learn in this episode that Buffy's dark love interest is a vampire. Angel was sired by Darla (sired means made into a vampire by another vampire) 240 years prior. He has a soul. The reason he has a soul is because when he was a vampire, he killed a bunch of Romanian gypsies, and they cursed him with a soul so he could be tormented by the thousands of people he had killed.

Prophecy Girl - Giles deciphers a prophecy that states "The Master shall rise and the Slayer shall die." Giles informs Angel of the prophecy, but they do not know that Buffy is listening. This yotube video is the scene above, mixed with portions of the rest of the episode...

Basically the prophecy was misleading, the only way that The Master would rise is if he killed the slayer. Buffy goes down to fight the The Master not knowing that, he kills her and he's free to rise. Xander who upon finding out that Giles and Angel just let her go and fight The Master knowing that she'd die goes to her aid, he finds her face first in the water. They give her mouth to mouth, and she's alive again. She gets super strong, and goes and kills the Master. Apocalypse is stopped. End season 1.

Here's a brief run down of the characters

Buffy - she's a super strong bitch, likes Angel, a vampire with a soul.
Willow - She's nerdy and good with computers. Likes life long friend Xander.
Xander - He's super nerdy and good at nothing. Likes new girl Buffy.
Angel - Vampire with a soul, likes Buffy like any sane person would.
Giles - Buffy's watcher and librarian. British and awesome.
Cordelia - Popular bitch that always seems to run in with the above characters.
Jenny Calendar - School teacher, love interest for Giles. He should bang her, she's hot.
The Master - Super old vampire. Killed by Buffy.
Darla - The Master's right hand wo-man. She sired Angel.

Hope that helps.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:14 am

I saw Winter Soldier and you know what? Greenman's right, best one since the Avengers and arguably a little better. Excellent pacing, REALLY good fight and action scene choreography, a smarter-than-usual plot for the Marvel universe, Robert Redford. Good stuff all around.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:06 pm

Told you. I didn't toss around "better than Avengers" lightly and even then Avengers is so good that I can only put it a little higher. My second favorite movie this year so far, with The Lego Movie obviously at number one.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:35 pm

To me it all picks up around that halfway point, but if you're not into it you're not into it. The reason I like Buffy is because it's a mix up of so many different genres, there's horror, drama, action, comedy. The whole vampire and mister stuff is my least favorite part of the show, it's the characters that I really like and the humor of the show. It's the same reason I like Firefly really. It's not for everyone. If you do like Charmed though I am a little perplexed on how you like that and not this.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:51 pm

Why is there a discussion about Buffy here anyways?
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:31 pm

Because Bret's being a fanboy and spiddy is encouraging him =p
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:37 pm

Okay, that's it. No more mentioning anything Joss Whedon related in this thread unless it's about Marvel.

Also, speaking of Marvel, I thought about this the other day: A Super Smash Bros movie handled the exact same way as The Avengers. Done by the guys who made The Lego Movie (if they can make a good movie out of that, they can make a good one out of anything).
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:27 am

I'm pretty sure pspiddy asked me, so I was only happy to oblige.

Joss Whedon was apart of the very terrific Toy Story screenplay.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:22 am

He was indeed. Did anyone see Much Ado About Nothing? It's on my list but I haven't checked it out.

@Greenie: I doubt Nintendo would ever let their products that far outside of their sight. Especially since most of their characters don't speak, and they're pretty protective over those personalities.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:28 am

All the Mario and Luigi games have convinced me a Mario movie is perfectly possible without Mario or Luigi talking outside Italian gibberish.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:03 am

I haven't seen Much Ado About Nothing, I have it in my amazon shopping cart waiting for a price drop. I'm not a big fan of Shakespear, but obviously I like Whedon and those cast members.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:26 am

Watched Aliens for the first time. Further proof that the 1980's was the best decade for movies and nothing will ever come close.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:36 am

For genre films, the 80s were pretty fucking spectacular. But I still consider the 70s as the finest overall.

Alien for me plays differently than Aliens. Ridley Scott's film is more horror with a great slow-burn of a 1st half. Cameron's is like a war film with a healthy amount of setup and a 2nd half with one memorable sequence after another. I rented the shit out of those movies as a kid. This was back in the days when VHS tapes were more pricey, though.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:16 am

Did some cleaning today, so I spent the whole day watching Spiderman stuff while I did it seeing as how ASM2 comes out next week. Amazing and the original were part of it. Both have their merits, but I like the original more. I think Willem Dafoe puts it over the edge, but I'm glad I've got both of these. One gives me some cheesy fun while the other gives a more serious superhero movie, good stuff either way.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:24 am

Spider-Man 2 is my favorite super hero movie of all time. Just such a fantastic movie. Today I noticed there was a 3 pack on blu-ray for $23.96. It's such a shame the third one was so shitty.

I didn't hate Amazing, it just seemed so pointless since we had just had a Spider-Man movie. Sure it was like 10 years prior to the first one coming out, but it still felt to soon.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:30 am

I actually like Spiderman 3. I get why people hate it and there's plenty stupid about it (Topher Grace as Venom, Sandman is Uncle Ben's killer, but "really a nice guy"). But the action's still a lot of fun, it has some moments that still crack me up, and I even love when the black suit corrupts Peter. Yeah, he acts like an idiot, but when you look at how socially awkward he is in 1, it makes perfect sense. This is his lame attempt at not giving a fuck and acting cool.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:57 am

I just got the feeling that no one wanted to make that movie. After how awesome the second movie was it was just such a let down. I haven't watched it from beginning to end since it came out in theaters, so maybe when I rematch it now I"ll think different of it.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:36 am

Was Raime bound by contract for that one? Wasn't that why it was bad (or not as good)? I don't know if I"m lying or not, I'm sure one of you fine people knows much better than I.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 34 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34  Next