The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Movies You've Watched Recently

+18
Rainjar
chocobot
Motinator
TripOpt55
ajapam
BretBaber
Methane_Max
pspiddy
Captain N
Nephilimi
AlexC-25
Krubixcube
Keith_Games
volvocrusher
avidacridjam
b.b.hagen
Bannen
TheMatt
22 posters

Page 23 of 34 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 28 ... 34  Next

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 23 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by avidacridjam Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:21 am

Oh. For a minute there, I thought I was the owl from the vintage Tootsie Pop commercial.

"A-one...A-two...A-three!"
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 23 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by avidacridjam Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:07 am

I show it with pride, you little brat. Get off my lawn.

avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:16 pm

Saw The World's End the other day. I think the weakest of the Cornetto trilogy but still a cool little movie that I very much enjoyed.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:23 pm

I really need to watch The World's End again. I thought I was going to love every second of it. It just never really clicked with me. I also really, really, really hated Simon Pegg's character. He was just too much of a piece of shit. Again... I need another viewing of it. Maybe I am being too harsh.
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:08 am

I think it goes World's End > Hot Fuzz > Shaun of the Dead. Though those first two might be interchangeable
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:50 am

I think Pegg's performance in TWE is his best so far. He may not be likable but the film goes to great lengths to roast him on not only his alcoholism but his immaturity. That scene in the last bar between him and Frost required Pegg to up his game as an actor; as a result, it brought out a side of him that's just bare and pathetic.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:05 am

Yeah, I have no issues with Pegg's performance, he was a twat but he was meant to be. I just didn't feel it was as rapid fire as Wright's last films. Which isn't to say it's bad, I just preferred the delivery of the humor/plot in the last films more.

I'd buy it though, so it receives my blessing!
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:22 pm

It probably is a testament to his acting. I just was expecting him to be a lovable loser, not a huge piece of shit. I don't really fault the film for the way the characters are... I was just expecting something different. I have the trilogy in one blu ray set. It's pretty neat. I should marathon that sometime real soon.
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:14 am

The remake coming out got me wanting to watch Robocop again. This is definitely one of my favorite movies now. Why were movies in the 80's so good?
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:11 am

I need to see The Lego Movie first. Might do it tomorrow since I think I've got three hour break between shifts at work.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:43 am

I can't find any reason why I'd go to the Robocop remake. It's not that I'm offended by the mere idea of a remake. The original was this mixture of sci-fi action and satire that was rousing, hilarious, ugly and bleak. From what I've been reading, it's not that the film is terrible but that it ends up being unmemorable, like it brings nothing to the table. That worries me.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:32 pm

I watched Lola Rennt. The way it was shot is so weird. It's like the director just wrote down a bunch of random ideas and drew them out of a hat for each scene. I was rolling my eyes at a few parts in the beginning but after about 10-15 minutes I was enjoying it quite a bit. It's one of those movies that's just plain fun to watch
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:50 am

Deathly Hallows Part 1 was fantastic. Need to think it over, but right now it's overtaken OoP as my favorite of the movies. Unlike all the other movies which changed or cut a lot of things for the worse (GoF being by far the worst offender), this only had one big change I didn't like, that they cut Dumbledore's past. That was such a big part of the book and it was odd they just said how he knew Grindlewald and never dwelled on it. Other than that it's just not enough Luna, but all the movies are guilty of that.

I really liked how slow it was. The book's first half really is just the three of them wandering around and accomplishing something once in a blue moon, but that made it feel like they're in some deep shit and the movie captured that great. When something does happen, it's exciting without going too far. The motorcycle chase and destroying the locket were particularly amazing, so much better than the book's version.

Also, movie Bellatrix>book Bellatrix. She's so fucking nuts in these while she was really just the evil chick in the books.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:10 pm

Interesting, I've never heard of anyone liking the slow pace. Usually I just hear "ugghhh they were just camping the whole time!"
Motinator
Motinator
Has a Bad Case of Headcrabs

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:05 pm

Some people confuse that period of the movie for having pacing issues. The same events transpire in the book. You're given enough time to observe how high the odds are stacked against the heroes and how lost they are without guidance. I remember when Part 1 came out and so many people (including those that liked the film) didn't know how to feel about that stretch of the film and until Part 2 came out they would never know how they'd ultimately feel. For some, splitting up the the final film didn't work because Part 1 didn't feel self-contained (unlike, say, Kill Bill Vol. 1). I like how Part 1 takes a breather while constantly gut-punching the heroes.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:16 pm

The Lego Movie is great. When I first heard of it I thought it would just end up being a 90 minute commercial with a bunch of celebrities. I'm sure that's what it was conceived as, but it was a little self-aware of that and they made a great movie of it as well. It does lots of neat things with the medium that I really loved, and it's very... lego
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:26 pm

Finished Harry Potter finally. I loved the last movie. (Spoilers ahead, but that should be a given). Was the kind of adaptation that wasn't 100% faithful to the book, but I like what they changed. A hundred moving statues taking on giants? Awesome. A real duel between Harry and Voldemort rather than what happened before? Awesome. Ron and Hermione taking on the snake while that happens? Awesome. Then there was the Room of Requirement bit, Neville blowing up the bridge, and his great speech at the end. Everyone got a great last hurrah without it feeling cheesy, which was exactly what I wanted.

The only issue I really had is the fallout from when Snape died. Harry just cared too much about the guy who he thought killed Dumbledore, feel there was a better way for him to get that memory. There was also Dumbledore's past not coming into question, but they handled the story well without it. I get these movies are really long as is, so if they can cut something and do it well, I'm not going to dwell on it.

If I had to rank the movies, it would go 7>5>8>2>6>3>1>4, with 7 and 5 being really close and everything between them and 1 being really close as well. Compared to the books, it would be 7>3>6>5>4>2>1. It's a great series overall and watching these was a great reminder of why I love it.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:38 pm

You guys inspired me to watch Robocop again...so I did. That movie is still pretty great.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:25 am

ajapam wrote:The Lego Movie is great. When I first heard of it I thought it would just end up being a 90 minute commercial with a bunch of celebrities. I'm sure that's what it was conceived as, but it was a little self-aware of that and they made a great movie of it as well. It does lots of neat things with the medium that I really loved, and it's very... lego

I just saw it last night. Ya, I didn't expect it to be so self-aware, but I love how they did it. Making fun of how their legs hyper-extent backwards, and all the way to the more serious stuff was great. My roommate and I spent the entire car ride home quoting one-liners.

volvocrusher wrote:The only issue I really had is the fallout from when Snape died. Harry just cared too much about the guy who he thought killed Dumbledore, feel there was a better way for him to get that memory. There was also Dumbledore's past not coming into question, but they handled the story well without it. I get these movies are really long as is, so if they can cut something and do it well, I'm not going to dwell on it.

Do you mean that he should have cared less about Snape dying? I don't totally remember the scene from the books, but I thought the movies were pretty close, except for the memory coming out of a tear instead of his head.
Motinator
Motinator

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:12 am

I don't know, it just feels like Harry should have acted disgusted towards him or not even walked up to him until Snape called for him, rather than acting how people normally act around someone dying. The book was really vague on how he acted and it didn't seem fitting in the movie
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:30 pm

okay, I see. I probably just get distracted by how great Alan Rickman is
Motinator
Motinator

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:13 am

You know, I was thinking just how bizarre it is how much the end of Half Blood Prince and all of Deathly Hallows is like Zelda. They're sent to find four magical objects to take down a great evil, each one of them hidden somewhere full of traps and other dangers (the cave, Ministry, Gringotts, and Room of Requirement). During this journey they get a sword which has the power to eliminate this evil. Then soon after getting the sword, they learn of three new hidden objects which will give them the ultimate power, with a symbol which forms a triangle.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:02 am

So, basically Link would need to sacrifice his own life at one point in a future game. I'm down with that.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:44 am

Watched Frozen...meh. What happened to those Disney songs that got incessantly stuck in your head. All the songs in the new one feel like shitty vanilla pop. Also the story was schizofrenic and had no strong characters. And this is coming from someone who enjoyed Tangled. ENJOYED IT, MEN.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:46 am

Recently:

Enough Said

Excellent, intelligent romantic comedy about Eva, a professional masseuse (Julia Louis-Dreyfus), who starts a relationship with Albert (James Gandolfini) on the best of terms. They have plenty in common (both are divorced with college-bound teenage daughters), enjoy conversations and a happy sex life. Eva's feelings about Albert start to change when one of her clients (Catherine Keener) keeps talking more and more about her ex-husband, which turns out to be Albert. Her feelings become more conflicted to the point that it strains the relationship. She loves the guy but can he truly be the slob she's been hearing about.

The draw here is the two leads. Louis-Drefus and Gandolfini surprised me because I never seen them play roles like this before. Their characters are sweet and down-to-earth and flawed. Their mutual attraction is believable. The script never drops into sitcom-level cheap shots as the film moves on.

It turns out to be wise and unmelodramatic about the way relationships test people when personal flaws come to the surface, when the baggage can ruin a marriage or when the bond is strong enough to make a couple endure. A great gem from last year.

The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford

I can't believe it's taken me what feels like forever to get to this film but I finally did and it was worth taking a chance on. This is a great film: somber, intelligent and filled in the edges of the screen with nuance and detail that I can only imagine will pay off in repeat viewings.

The theme of celebrity and how certain people can be attracted to - and possibly repulsed by - is strongly felt but equally strong is the feeling that I was witnessing a tale about the same old human frailties, where death and regret are inevitable and all I could do was sit back and watch it all unfold. The only "happy" ending to a story like this is that it finally ends and between that wonderful ensemble, Roger Deakins' photography and the haunting score by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis, it felt in places like a pleasure and in some cases truly uncomfortable.

I really don't know what I can say about the cast that's already been said but it's all true. I know the film had barely any support when it was released but I'm glad that it was made. It's good to know that a cult-like following is keeping this film alive in any way possible.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 34 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 28 ... 34  Next