The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Movies You've Watched Recently

+7
ajapam
chocobot
volvocrusher
TheMatt
Krubixcube
pspiddy
avidacridjam
11 posters

Page 13 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 13 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by volvocrusher Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:09 am

See what I wanted more of was Samuel L Jackson's mind games and detective work. The two scenes we get them were by far my favorite parts of the movie. I knew there would be a long bloodbath but felt that was the only real buildup we got to it
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 13 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by Krubixcube Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:28 am

I liked everything after the intermission, I loved everything before it. I agree though, more characters sussing each other out the hard way would have made it a superior movie.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:30 am

It's not playing at my theater, so I'll have to make a trek to see it. I missed out on Django in theaters, so I refuse to miss this one.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:58 am

volvocrusher wrote:Checked out the new Spongebob movie since it was free on Prime. Even though it showed off mostly the live action/CG mashup, most of it was a normal cartoon and that part was really good. Lots of great jokes and tons of inspiration from Mad Max of all things. 
The last third when they changed it was okay. It was super hammy but it also knew it was that way and had fun with it. Really was way better than it had any right to be. Still, the first two thirds made it worth a watch in my book. This gag especially cracked me up

Well that makes me want to see it now. The whole CG look of it really turned me off.
Motinator
Motinator
Has a Bad Case of Headcrabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:13 am

I saw Hail, Caesar! It wasn't very good. The subtext was there but the story wasn't very interesting. Well-made but not to great ends.

That said, I respect the Coen Brothers for making the film they want. Sometimes they succeed, sometimes they fail, but it always feels like they made what they wanted to make.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:20 am

My friends dragged me to see Deadpool with them. It was alright. Over half the jokes made me groan or roll my eyes, would see them coming while it felt like the movie was whacking off to how clever it thought it was.
Some of the jokes were good though, especially the Stan Lee cameo, which was the best one yet and made me glad I saw the movie. They did some creative things with the action too and had some great music montages (Calendar Girl was especially great. So even though the humor mostly fell flat there was enough good stuff that I didn't dislike it. Which really is about as good as I could realistically expect with how much I hate Deadpool in every comic he's appeared in.
Terrible villain though.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:21 am

I saw Deadpool as well. I think I enjoyed it more than you but it definitely thought it was a lot more clever than it actually was at times. Particularly with some of the meta-humour, and I love that stuff when it's done well.

Finally watched Kill Bill. This seems like an unpopular opinion but I actually liked Volume 1 a lot more than 2. 1 was like a wild collage of all of Tarantino's favourite movies and two was more of the same except half-assed with a bunch more of his usual long talking bits in between. Which I usually enjoy but they were so excessive and dull in this movie compared to his rest. I never thought I'd say this about a Tarantino movie but it needed less talking and more mindless action

Last edited by ajapam on Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:27 am; edited 1 time in total
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:24 am

The meta humor were where most of my least favorite jokes came from. The one on the X-Men time line was great but the others had me shaking my head. Especially that one where he explains why you aren't seeing any other X-Men in his movie.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:16 pm

Can you guys name your top 3 favorite Studio Ghibli movies. I would like to watch some, and I'd like a general idea of a good one to start with.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:51 am

Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Kiki's Delivery Service
My Neighbor the Yamadas

...? Top 3 is tough. I like a lot of Ghibli. Watch Grave of the Fireflies if you want to cry forever.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:41 am

I'm not that interested in Ghibli movies (don't really care for their animation style) but I do want to check out Kiki. Put Phil Hartman in anything and I'm all over it
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:10 am

My top 3 are Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away. I know Ghibli has more than just Miyazaki but his are still my favorite.

I'd say you should watch Nausicaa, though. Depends what kind of movie you want but it seems like a movie that would appeal to JRPG fans
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:49 am

I say this as the pretentious nerd I am - but watch them in Japanese. Ghibli's localizations are notorious for just putting as many celebrities as they can in the cast regardless of how well they fit the character or how well they can voice act.

I think most people start with his later stuff (Mononoke or Spirited Away) his earlier stuff (Totoro, Kiki's, Porco Rosso) have a VERY different feel.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:46 am

1. My Neighbor Totoro
2. Castle In The Sky
3. Ponyo

Also, Grave of the Fireflies and Only Yesterday (which is about to be released here in the U.S. for the first time this year) are fantastic but more mature and realistic.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:25 pm

I think the only repeat I saw on your list was Castle in the Sky. I wish there was a way to rent some of these movies. I'd hate to buy a couple, really like them, and then wish I had that collector's edition bundle.

I watched The Good Dinosaur yesterday. Good movie, not Pixar's best though. Made my wife cry, and she said "I hate this movie, and I don't know why you bought it because I'm never watching it again." It had some sad moments, but I didn't think it was that sad.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:24 pm

My friend managed to get me to watch Chappie. I won't say it's a great movie, but I think it was a lot better than it got credit for. Despite it dragging on at the end and lots of really corny things throughout the movie, I found it pretty charming and entertaining.
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:16 am

Watched The Martian tonight. That was great. Filled with both really funny moments and intense dramatic ones.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:26 pm

I watched The Witch - not a horror film in the classic "trying to find new and inventive ways to scare you sense" but a really good film none the less. A bit slower and more contemplative but I'd highly recommend it.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:21 pm

Now keep in mind I haven't seen Green Lantern or Fant4stic but Batman v Superman might be the worst superhero movie I've seen since Batman and Robin. In fact, bizarro Batman and Robin is the best way to describe it since it's just as terrible but in opposite ways.

Movie hardly has a plot at all, things just keep happening when 90% of what leads to the fight could be cut out because all they needed to show is Batman is paranoid about Superman. Lex Luthor can be fun, but fuck his plan makes no sense both in a way where you don't understand what his motivation is or why he's taking so many extra steps before finishing what he should have done from the start.

The fight between the two is the lamest route they could go.
Spoiler:
I would say don't see it but I almost want to recommend it just to see how bad it is. I'm baffled how a movie could be so bad.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:20 pm

This sounds a lot like Man of Steel all over again. No plot...lots of explosions at the end.

Will wait for the DVD, likely.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:46 pm

The plot to BvS makes Man of Steel's look like The Dark Knight. So much of the movie is pointless to the plot either to make it feel deeper than it actually is or pause the movie to advertise Justice League. There's even a part where Batman discovers other heroes which show what are brief teasers for Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg, complete with each having their own logo before getting shown
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:16 pm

Yeah...for as much as I have fatigue with what Marvel's doing even I can see the genius of what they did from a marketing perspective: slow build up of separate characters and then putting them together.

I mean from what I've heard it suffers from Man of Steel's "Telling a story beginning to end is for SUCKERS" style of plotting, and just too much...stuff. I mean, from what I've seen it would work perfectly well to have "Superman's too powerful, look at all that destruction he caused" thinks Bruce Wayne. Lex Luthor thinks so too so manipulates Batman into fighting him before they realize that Lex is using the chaos for a completely unrelated scheme...or something to that effect.

Anyway, superhero movies...just...stop for a little, please?
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:23 pm

On paper it does look fine, but fuck they botch both aspects of it. Batman's anti-Superman attitude has about a third of the movie dedicated to it when only one or two of those scenes were necessary and Lex Luthor's motivation and plot make no sense. He switches between four different reasons for doing what he does, the final one is so stupid I'm baffled they thought to have him say that and everything he does outside Doomsday is so unnecessary because Batman already is anti-Superman. He does NOTHING until right before the fight (where he does something which should never EVER be in a Superman movie) to get Batman angrier at Superman, it's to get the public angrier at him even though the movie keeps showing there are many who love Superman despite this.

It's just such a huge mess. I'd honestly recommend you see it personally Kubert because I think you'd be in awe of how wrong everything about this movie is.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:06 am

Yeah, but I don't like supporting films I think will be crap since that's how studios determine what to make these days.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:20 pm

Not a healthy attitude to have walking into a movie, anyway.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:42 pm

I saw Dawn of Justice last Thursday night and I'm probably going to be one of the few people you'll see online who actually likes the movie but the last thing I want to be is to be obnoxious about it. I was also hoping that the film wouldn't lead to similar debates that I had with Man of Steel but it looks like that won't be completely avoidable either. I just don't want to see either side get nasty but unfortunately an untold number of assholes on Twitter have been pounding on critics because they're too protective of their baby (and it's just a fucking movie) and they truly don't understand the function of a critic.

T-wolf, I'll say this: if you didn't like Man of Steel, don't even bother with this. It just isn't your thing. Snyder and his writers make some extremely bold decisions with these characters, their actions, the world and its overall tone (consistent in spots with MoS but mostly darker to reflect Batman's p.o.v.) that are destined to divide audiences, just like it has Volvo.

A film of this size and scope tries to spin too many plates and as a result, the pacing flags a lot, especially in the first hour. After that point, it finds its footing. My big problem with the film (not but enough that it sours the experience) is that DoJ does the one thing I was scared of ever since the film was announced: despite being a follow-up to MoS (my favorite Superman film and one that I felt effectively conveyed his p.o.v.), this is very much a Batman film so the emphasis is clearly on him most of the time and and at the expense of Superman.

Which is a mistake because lots of shit doesn't work out for Supes and the film could've used more time in his corner: the moments that do that are fleeting and other times, its from the perspective of another character (Lois, Martha or someone he's saving). The film keeps him at a distance and that feels counter-productive. Bringing in imagery or sentiment from The Dark Knight Returns worried me from the start since that series, wonderful as it is, is marked for its hostile portrayal of Superman (speaking of shit that Superman would never do).

There are things in this film that I hope don't get repeated in the JL films and if an argument can be made that the riskier decisions work that they can only work for this film. It's a transitional film, a springboard for future films to follow but done with enough smarts, sincerity (not to mention a lack of mean-spiritedness) and maturity (for me, at least) to keep it from sinking like the worst in the comic book film genre.

I'm keeping this post spoiler-free but I'll go in depth in future posts. I don't know what else to say for now. It's bold, ambitious, flawed, distinctive and no one else is making films like this.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:04 pm

That's fair enough. Even though I thought it was bad I have a really hard time saying I hate this movie. Justice League plugs aside, I can at least tell that Snyder made the movie he wanted and is happy with the final product. His choices may be completely wrong in my eyes, but I can't hate something with that much passion. Mock it endlessly and laugh at it, hell yeah, but I can't hate it
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:27 pm

But I guess what I didn't like about Man of Steel was the way the story was told. The themes of Man of Steel were super interesting, and frankly, I'd like more superhero movies to explore those themes. BUT...there were just so many nonsensical plot points, and weird stylistic choices that I couldn't engage with the interesting themes at all.

So if it's more of the same in THAT regard, I'll wait to see it. I'll see it because I can't weigh in on a movie I haven't seen.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:50 pm

I watched Creed the other night. I enjoyed it. I really like Michael B Jordan. I did think it was way too similar to the first Rocky... kinda reminded me of the new Star Wars movie to be honest how closely they followed the original's story arch. I would love to see a Creed 2 though.
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:42 am

I saw Hardcore Henry tonight. The first-person gimmick is really hit and miss. Sometimes it's fantastic, sometimes it's incomprehensible. They have fun with it, though, and there's some pretty hilarious bits throughout the movie. Sharlto Copley alone makes it worth seeing. Just don't see it if you're sick. It's already headache-inducing as is.

Could've used some more fistbumps
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next