August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Movies You've Watched Recently

Page 16 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by Krubixcube on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:20 am

I wasn't a HUGE fan of John Wick because it suffered what I called the "Taken" syndrome, this being that our hero doesn't really have any real obstacles: he goes into a room and just destroys it with very little challenge.

THAT SAID, I LOVE the way action is shot in these movies. I can see what's happening, the stunt men are allowed to do stunts and we can SEE them. It's excellent. Ironic since Taken's camera style is the EXACT opposite.

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:59 pm

So I'm pretty hit or miss on Seth Rogan's movies, but god damn Sausage Party was amazing. Surprisingly amazing satire about religion and politics with much smarter jokes than he usually does. I mean, sure, there's a love triangle between a taco, a sausage, and a bun, but there's also a lavash with a Middle Eastern accent accusing a Jewish bagel of taking away his aisle, with both laughing when someone asks why they can't share it. I'm really surprised just how smart so many of the jokes were.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt on Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:03 pm

Watched Arrival yesterday. Probably one of the better science fiction movies I've seen. I've been thinking about it since it was over. Don't want to spoil anything, but it's definitely worth a watch.

Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:38 pm

Watched The Wailing which for your Korean film nerds out there (anyone?) it's from the same director as The Chaser which I LOVE...and I hated The Wailing. Which is a shame.

I've read into it and read reviews and it feels like people defending it or who liked it liked it because they "get it". I get it, I get the symbolism and all the references but I thought it was overlong, overly convoluted, weirdly racist, and messy. It very much felt like it was doing something similar to The Witch with its biblical allusions, showing that evil is in fact real and twisting OLD folklore and legends into modern cinema. And while I loved what The Witch did, this didn't click.

Very surprising considering I loved the director's first film and quite liked his second.

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:09 pm

Checked out It Follows. Pretty good movie. Like how the monster was manageable if you noticed it, but the paranoia of it finding you anywhere at any time was a cool take on horror. Don't understand why none of the guys just found a hooker to solve it though.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:27 pm

It's implied the last guy did. But Hookers screw within a pretty narrow area...it'd get back to you eventually.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:28 pm

I felt the movie implied he didn't though since it ends with
Spoiler:
someone following the two of them. Like he considered it, but decided against it. Because really if you screwed one of them, you're in the clear for life.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:46 am

Well, that could have just been...some dude. I guess that's what fun about it though Smile

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:57 am

I guess but he moved a little too much like the monster for me to think it was just some guy.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:45 pm

OR WAS IT?!?!?!

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:28 am

I haven't seen Power Rangers, but when I heard this I just had to post it because of how blatant this is, so if you want to see it consider this a spoiler. The crystal the villain wants to rule the universe is under a Krispy Kreme in the movie and after that's revealed apparently the movie becomes a battle to get to the Krispy Kreme complete with her eating a doughnut and enjoying it way too much when she reaches it. I mean, there's blatant product placement, but that is just a whole other level.

Also Get Out is really good. Twist is really silly, but that's a minor gripe because going that direction gives it some pretty unique things to say.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:20 pm

I just watched Suicide Squad on HBO the other night. I give it two wet farts out of 10. Just couldn't get into it. I almost got up and walked out of the room halfway through. I think what really ruins it for me is most of those characters have been portrayed better on Arrow or The Flash by different actors. Also, Jared Leto as the Joker... yiiiiiiiiikes. Just terrible. And don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those people that thinks Heath Ledger's Joker is the end all be all... but all of his scenes were laughable.

I am intrigued by the Wonder Woman movie though. And I actually kind of dig Ben Affleck's old and doesn't give a fuck version of Batman.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:04 am

Secret Life of Pets was a decent movie but there was one part where a group of rejected pets living in the sewer think two of them killed their owner and wanted details on how they did it with a blender and I was just wondering "This is a kid's movie?"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Thu May 11, 2017 9:44 am

I really liked Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Took the story in a fun direction that continued 1 in a really natural way while doing something new and different. Plus it was really funny.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Sun May 14, 2017 2:08 am

Watched the 2013 Evil Dead movie. The formula is similar to the first one, but they change enough up to keep it fresh. Movie does a great job of building suspense, and the FX loom really nice. If you're not a fan of gore I'd stay away from the movie, because it has a couple scenes that are pretty sick.

I'll always prefer the first for nostalgia reasons and Bruce Campbell, but this was still a very well done reimagining of the original.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Sun May 28, 2017 6:21 am

So Monster Trucks was $1 so I decided to see if the movie could be at least stupid fun. Don't judge me. But it was really close to being a so bad it's good movie, but not quite there. They somehow put monsters inside of trucks and made it boring with a few fun but terrible elements. Rob Lowe's awful southern accent especially.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:10 am

Wonder Woman was pretty damn great. Had one scene in particular that might be my favorite action setpiece in a superhero movie since the train fight in Spider-Man 2. DC really hit that one out of the park.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt on Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:56 pm

I also thought Wonder Woman was fantastic. Definitely the best of the DC movies since Nolan's Batman films. Gives me hope for the rest of the Justice League stuff... just keep Zack Snyder away and all should be well!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:09 pm

Baby Driver was god damn great. Fun, innovative, an action movie where I could actually understand what was happening at a given moment. Good writing, cool characters.

Good movie. It was good.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam on Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:38 pm

Baby Driver was really fun. One of my favorites this year.

I went out and saw Spider-Man Homecoming yesterday. Dude plays a decent spiderman, but the best part of the movie is Michael Keaton as the villain. It's a solid movie that shows some of its own style and I enjoyed the lower stakes. I feel like the action scenes didn't make good use of spiderman's powers though. Forcing him somewhere where he can't swing and climb around is a good way to change things up but they did that for literally every major action scene. In terms of how the movie uses him in action, he almost could've just been batman.

ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:39 pm

I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out Aja but you're right. Either way I loved it. Not as good as 1 and certainly nowhere near 2 but better than 3 and either Amazing.
Also anyone else feel like the universe is aware Aunt May shouldn't be as hot as Marissa Tomei in the movie?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:05 am

Everyone keeps saying Spiderman is good but Marvel keeps burning me, so I think I'll have to wait until it comes out at home.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:22 am

Saw War for the Planet of the Apes. I really liked this new Apes trilogy, but none of the movies were what I expected them to be. Expected Rise to focus on the revolt, but it was mostly about Caesar's relationship to humans and James Franco's company making evil corporate decisions. Thought Dawn to be a war, was more a revolt.

This one was not a war either, more a revenge story. You get that giant war setpiece in the beginning and end, but the stuff between is actually pretty slow (in a good way) and has a really good twist I won't spoil. The villain (Woody Harrelson) was fantastic. He was an ends justify the means type guy, but he feels more like a renegade Bioware character than a full villain. He sees a real threat to humanity (won't spoil, but not the apes themselves) and had to make a really tough choice, but feel the alternative was too high a cost. Movie's worth seeing just for the ethical dilemma it brings up, check it out.

Also, figure I'd rank all of these since I've seen every one. Would be interesting see them chronologically now (Rise-Dawn-War-Original-Beneath-Escape-Conquest-Battle) (Top 5 are the must sees and 2-5 could all be swapped around depending how I feel.)

1. Original PotA
2. Rise
3. War
4. Escape
5. Dawn
6. Conquest (Worth checking out if you like Escape. Basically Rise done in the 70's)
7. Beneath (Skip the first half if you see it, only really interesting once they actually get underground)
8. Battle (Skip altogether, all its good ideas were retooled in Dawn/War and better in every way. Conquest is also a good place to end the original series on)
9. Burton remake (Terrible, stupid movie)

Last edited by volvocrusher on Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:36 pm

Yep. My thoughts and ranking as well.

avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content