The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Gaming Chat Thread

+12
Motinator
TheMatt
Rainjar
A Roguish Ham
SanAndreasX
ajapam
BretBaber
Krubixcube
Miraculous Kaydybug
volvocrusher
pspiddy
TripOpt55
16 posters

Page 33 of 34 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Go down

Gaming Chat Thread - Page 33 Empty Re: Gaming Chat Thread

Post by volvocrusher Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:36 pm

I wouldn't like that either. I'm keeping my PS4/XB1 as is and upgrading my PC. Especially since this gen hasn't even kicked off yet. We're still waiting for those big games to really show off what they can do.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:43 pm

Consoles should be consoles, PC's can be PC's. That's what PC's are for, occasional upgrades, developers having to QA test hardware. The advantage of a console is that all PS4's have (roughly) the same hardware, so developing for them is a lot easier...dammit.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:16 pm

If they do that, I am out.
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:14 pm

Kind of surprised everyone feels the same about this. It sounds a lot like Nintendo's handhelds to me (particularly the New 3DS). If any of you feel differently about those two situations, I'd be curious why.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:30 pm

While I do think the situations are very similar and both kind of BS, N3DS irked me less for two reasons. First, I'm used to Nintendo doing that with handhelds after the Gameboy Color and DSi. That doesn't justify it, but it does let me know at the worst N3DS won't get too much more over vanilla.

Second and more important,  3DS I'd much more geared for kids, who let's face it, don't take good care of their stuff. A bunch probably had 3DS's on their last legs and just saw a new one so a new model makes sense for them
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:24 pm

Because from what I understand it's more a "pay more for more graphical power" or...something, not "these games will ONLY run on the upgraded hardware." which is what the N3DS was.

Unless I misread something?
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:47 am

I've heard Microsoft was doing that but not Sony. In either case, I don't want these consoles to run games or apps that are not available in any way to early or recent owners. One of the reasons I'm a console gamer is due to convenience and ease of use. It's one thing to spend up to $200 for a handheld, another for a console. I suppose it'll depend on what the upgrade price is or how easy it is to do. Of course there'll be newer models down the line but again, don't want to alienate early or recent owners.  

Put another way, think I'm trading in a PS4 that has P.T. on it? Think again. Wink
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:26 pm

Yeah MS straight up said they were considering it. The Sony one is a rumor (from Kotaku I think). Seems pretty legit though.

Avid's feelings on it are pretty similar to mine. I'm not sure I understand what you are saying Twolf. Isn't having original 3DS owners locked out of actual games (admittedly there are very few) worse than missing out on bells and whistles (which is how the PS4 situation sounds)?

On the other hand I feel there is more reason to iterate on handhelds because of the form factor. Greenman's wear and tear point is valid too. I see what you mean about how I should expect it, but I feel what they did with the New 3DS was actually a step too far (this may stem from my feelings on mistakes they made with the original hardware). I think the price is definitely a factor as avid said too.

I don't like either, but I was just curious where you guys came down on it.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:07 pm

Yeah, know how that second nub bothers you Trip, and I will agree this is the worst handled of the new iterations. DSI was just DLC games you could mostly find elsewhere and Gameboy Color was a huge step, but it also happened nine years into the system's lifespan and you saved so much on batteries that upgrading still helped your wallet. New 3DS is entirely dependent on how much you want Xenoblade and SNES games as well as a nub without the CPP
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:38 pm

I think the biggest difference for me is just the prices. I only have a New 3DS because I ended up with 2 3DS XLs to trade in, and even if that didn't happen it would've cost me just an extra $100. My general disappointment with this gen of consoles doesn't help much either. I mean Uncharted 4 isn't even out yet, let's slow down.

Also I'm surprised that nobody seems to remember the expansion pack for the N64. I guess this isn't entirely unprecedented. If it happens, I'd like them to do it the same way, but with the way modern systems are built I guess that might be wishful thinking
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:40 am

What about this alleged NX controller? You guys think it is real? And do you think it is terrible?
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:58 am

I'm not believing anything Nintendo is up to until I see them do a Nintendo Direct on it
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:49 pm

I think it looks too terrible to possibly be real. I hope I am right.

Also the recent rumors I've read about this new Ps4 say that it's basically just to play movies and stuff in 4K. Maybe it upscales some games to 4K. too (I'm not sure what kind of power that would require.) That'd be alright, I think
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:05 pm

I didn't think that controller could possibly be real, but after yesterday's pictures I'm beginning to think it could. Maybe I'm a dope though. Regardless, a controller with no physical face buttons would be a disaster. So I sure hope it is not real.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:54 pm

The only way I can see that happening is if it's not the only controller and the main one is like the Pro controller but even then I can't imagine they'd want to do that after it failed with the Wii U
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:51 pm

Revealed to be a fake. Phew!
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:52 pm

A couple random questions: Do you guys pre-order your games? And do you ever get Special/Collector's Editions?
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:35 pm

Pre-order, yes. Special editions...no.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:10 pm

Same as Kubert.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:23 pm

Only pre-order if there's a good deal and I really want the game. I'd consider getting special editions from developers I really trust, like Naughty Dog, but I haven't done that in a long time
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:43 pm

Do you mostly pre-order because Amazon or do you care about pre-order bonuses?

I rarely pre-order which is why I was asking. If I pre-order, I usually just do it maybe a week before release. I did end up pre-ordering Ratchet because I had an expiring gift certificate to use. You get the Bouncer though which is cool because I want the Bouncer, but lame because everyone should just get the Bouncer.

The special edition question is because I had kind of swore them off because I am usually disappointed or like, "Why do I have this stuff" afterwards... haha. Haven't gotten one in a couple years now. But I decided to get the Special for Uncharted 4. I figure I will just keep doing it for Naughty Dog games as long as the price isn't outlandish. Of course, Special Editions I also have to pre-order, so I had been kind of thinking on both topics.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:51 pm

I go on Amazon because its cheaper now. Used to be all about convenience since my old job had me get off when everywhere was closed but now I'm sticking with them for the discount
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:22 am

I honestly only pre-order to get the game on day 1, and usually go on Amazon because I like Amazon. I rarely, if ever, actually look at the different company's pre-order bonuses.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:47 pm

Yeah that is what I figured. I guess I was kind of wondering if people pre-ordered for any other reason (with online orders, you pretty much have to anyway to simply order it). Not questioning using Amazon either. The discount makes it even nicer. I've been using BestBuy because of the Gamer's Club Unlocked discounts/deals. I do like being able to pick it up or have it delivered. I wish I could grab games at midnight though. My store doesn't do midnight launches anymore as far as I know.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:34 pm

The primary reason I pre-order is collectors' editions, and that's if it's a game I want and I anticipate that the CE is going to be hard to find. Mostly this applies to Japanese games. I'll also pre-order for games I really, really want. The only game I have on pre-order at this time is Valkyria Chronicles PS4. I don't really see the point in pre-ordering otherwise.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:49 pm

I do Best Buy for most of my gaming preordering. I have the Gamer's Club Unlocked so you get the same 20% off Amazon now gives. They do release date delivery and a lot of the pre order games have $10 rewards credits too. So if you include that in the price I can often get new releases for $40, which is pretty great.
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:43 pm

Me and Bret were chatting about my poor, dead PS3 (it spontaneously started scratching discs, I can't seem to fix it, and I was told a drive replacement might toast the backwards compatibility) and he mentioned a what-if scenario - what if Sony made a backwards compatibility machine essentially? A combined PS1 and 2 that would hook up to HDMI, have dualshock 3 and 4 wireless support, have virtual memory cards, access to the internet and PSN. I wonder if it would sell (I mean, I'd buy it in a heart beat). It would have to be under $200 (at handheld type prices) but man...right now I want it so bad.

Emulation is so finnicky and it sucks I have to resort to that to play the games I legally own ;_;
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:56 pm

Last weekend I thought my Xbox 360 had finally bricked. The light on the power brick was flashing orange. I went to a Game Xchange to try out a different power cord but no improvement. Was convinced that my system was broken somehow. Then I see a Youtube video where a guy solved his problem by making sure the USB ports in the front were clear of debris and that the prongs weren't touching each other. I checked the ports on mine and for some reason there was a small metal hook of some kind wedged in one of the ports. I took it out, plugged it back in and it works now. Very relieved.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:51 pm

Lucky! Especially with microsoft stopping production on them!
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sun May 01, 2016 11:04 pm

So I got the Pokken controller even though Hori and/or Nintendo made some baffling decisions (the thing ONLY works on Pokken) because I heard it's plug and play on PC and I hate how Xbox controllers feel with 2D games. I gotta say, this thing is fantastic if you want a dedicated 2D PC controller. Excellent build quality, comfortable as hell, spent the whole day playing Sonic 3 on the thing. Configurations aren't always perfect, but I can always edit them and the pros definitely outweigh the cons
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 34 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34  Next