The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Firefly Discussion

4 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Firefly Discussion - Page 3 Empty Re: Firefly Discussion

Post by Krubixcube Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:29 pm

You thought that, but most of us liked Winter Soldier! =p
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:37 pm

Awww, spiddy got a little hurt at my gentle prodding. Don't worry spiddy, you're entitled to your opinion, my clever uses of emoticons indicates a level of sarcasm.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:17 am

Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:52 am

I still haven't watched any more after Out of Gas. As much as I enjoy myself while watching the show, I never feel the pressing need to see what happens next, so I rarely have that "I can't wait to watch another episode" feeling most great shows give me. I guess it is partly the show being so procedural, but I suppose I just don't feel as strongly as most do about the show. You guys feel free to talk about whatever though. I'll still check in and read more when I'm caught up or done.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:58 am

I'm kind of with Trip on this. I think the show has some really cool...things in it, but it's not like when I watch Game of Thrones or The Sopranos or even The Simpsons where I find myself up at 3 AM saying "Just...one...more...episode." before I collapse in the sea of junk food and soda in front of me.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:30 am

Game of Thrones and The Sopranos almost always end with a kind of cliffhanger though, where Firefly tells a story for an episode and ends it at the end leaving you feeling like something has been completed. Having watched other Whedon shows, I guarantee there would have been an overall arcing story for the rest of the season if it would have lasted. I think the most important thing they were trying to accomplish was telling the backstory of all of these characters and how they all ended up here first, which every episode does a good job of enlightening viewers on a little more.

As for the show feeling dated, it is older than it seems because it's often talked about. The show was made in 2002, television shows now seem to have bigger budgets and definitely better effects. When I watch shows it is all about characters and stories, and I think Firefly has some of the richest characters ever to grace the small screen, and I know for a fact some great stories would have followed.

Pspiddy, do you read the comics? I'm going to read those after we watch the movie. Would love to see talk those with you as well.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:48 am

WELL, yes. But take some of my other favorite shows that also have that "must...watch...one..." yeah you get it, anyway, the other shows that always do that to me are Seinfeld and Simpsons which are both shows that have very self-contained stories. Cowboy Bebop as well, for the most part has self contained stories. I mean, maybe it's because both of those are a bit shorter?

Honestly, don't know.

As for the budget thing...I compare it to another sci-fi show The Prisoner. Now, The Prisoner has some pretty goofy effects but I felt it did more to hide what it didn't have, whereas Firefly has a couple episodes where it pretends to have a lot more budget than it does. And doesn't modify the script or shoot things in clever ways to hide the fact that they can't afford certain things and that's what, to me, gives it the kind of "cheap" feel.

BUT AGAIN, and I do mean this, and I hope you guys understand this about me by now, when I"m critical about something it by no means indicates that I dislike it or think it's bad. This show had "legs", and deserved to go on for much much longer than it did. And I agree with you Bret, if the show made it to season 2 they probably would have started in on some longer story lines that might have kept me more hooked. But it's definitely in that realm of "awesome but flawed" for me.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:20 pm

I generally feel that procedurals (shows like this with a case/job/monster of the week) are better when they have some kind of overarching storyline running through them. Most know how I feel about Fringe and Veronica Mars and they are procedurals, but they have that more serialized story/mythology/whatever you want to call it going for them where thus far Firefly does not. I just think it'd be a better show if it had that. It's nice to say it would have if it ran longer, but that isn't what I'm judging. I'm judging what I've actually seen.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:53 am

http://www.amazon.com/Serenity-Vol-Those-Left-Behind/dp/1593074492/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

http://www.amazon.com/Serenity-Vol-2-Better-Days/dp/1595821627/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

http://www.amazon.com/Serenity-Volume-The-Shepherds-Tale/dp/1595825614/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_z

I might have to get the last one, don't think I own it. They just had a six issue arc that hasn't come out as a graphic novel yet. I haven't read those because I wanted to watch the show and movies, and read the other graphic novels before reading them.

Since Breaking Bad was mentioned I'm going to go into my problem with the show. As great as it is and will always be, my problem is that the characters never really experience a moment of happiness. If they do at the end of an episode, a new problem usually arises right at the start of the next episode. Comparing it to Firefly it is obviously the better show, but it's a tiring journey to watch and one I never plan on watching again. Unlike other great shows it to me isn't a show that warrants a repeat viewing due to the lack of good things that happen to the characters and the lack of comedy. Firefly's characters are can betray you one moment and have you laughing later (Jayne for example). It's a show that's fun to watch again. However, I do think Breaking Bad should be watched by all at least once.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:58 am

By Trash, they were really doing a lot to make Simon and River more likable. And as an overall episode...good episode .They did what I wanted them to do, expect her double cross and plan against it.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:05 am

I watched Ariel yesterday. I thought it was a pretty good heist-style ep.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:27 am

The guys at the end are very creepy. Looks like a painful way to die.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:00 am

I've finished it and I must say: what a shame. I agree with Trip in that it didn't have that spark that made me want to marathon it but on the other hand the things they were doing by the last few episodes with the characters, with the effects, really seemed like it was moving in a direction that could have hooked me. Not to mention the last episode indicated at least a slight move away from those situational setups and more into an overarching story line.

Good show, not amazing, but definitely cut off before it deserved to be.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:01 am

Give me that Twolf rating out of 10.

I watched War stories which was really good. Wash and Jayne had some great lines. Seeing Book and River in the firefight was cool too. Sorry I'm so slow! I'm tried to keep up with you guys but couldn't quite do it. Hopefully I will finish it up this week.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:52 pm

The t-wolf rating out of 10 would probably be a 6.5 or 7/10. Keep in mind that anything 7 or above is something I would own outright. And if the whole series had the drive and focus of the last 5 or so episodes, it would get bumped up considerably.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:35 pm

Gotcha. I'm going to be logging all these ratings in my noggin for comparisons sake now.

I watched Trash. Another fun one. Once Mal sat next to her, I was like, "She's going to steal your gun!" Didn't see the end with Inara coming so that was neat.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:43 pm

You're in for a great episode. It's right up there with Out of Gas in my opinion. Apparently that Shepherd's Tale graphic novel isn't worth the money. Apparently it's only 60 pages and the amount of text in it can fill a page. So I'll be passing on that.

I'm not foolish in thinking we'll all be watching the movie as well, right?
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:53 am

Shiny.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:10 am

I watched the last couple of episodes tonight. Heart of Gold wasn't all that good to me. The bad guy's floating car and Mal and Melinda Clarke's character's conversation before they banged were really oozing with cheese. There were a couple of funny moments. Like when Mal said to Jayne that they were working for whores and he immediately said, I'm in. There was another thing that really cracked me up, but I'm actually blanking on it at the moment.

I liked Objects in Space a lot. Exploring River's character is something it would have been cool to see the show do more of if it went longer and I enjoyed watching her in this one. Still don't love the doctor. He is kind of a dolt. Too bad Kaylee has to settle for chasing him. He is pretty lame. The villain was pretty solid. One of the better episodes for sure.

Overall I liked the show. I'd probably give it a B overall. I think it had a great cast of characters and a unique setting that really helped set it apart. I also really liked the variety it delivered as far as being able to deliver on action, drama and humor. All that elevated the sometimes run of the mill stories. As I mentioned before I would have liked more of an emphasis on the mythology at times and some longer term plots, but I could see they were going to build to that. I think its rabid cult following had my expectations too high. I can definitely see the potential of the show, but what we got was not great, but merely good. Which is fine. Just didn't quite live up to the hype for me.

Anyway, I will check out the movie some time this week.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:02 am

Finally watched some more episodes. Watching it with Lindsay is a slow burn.

Trip, I have some ideas on the funny parts from Heart of Gold that were alluding you.

Could it be this...

When Inara gets the distress call from the whores and Mal turns to her and says "Is it a distress call from someone's pants?"

Perhaps this...

When everyone first steps into the whore house and Kaylee is very excited to see that they have male whores. Jayne is also funny at this moment.

Or this...

When Kaylee and Wash are going to Serenity Kaylee says...

"Did you notice the captain was funny this morning?"

Wash replies, "Kaylee, we all know I'm the funny one."

Those are all zingers that zinged me where I wanted to be zinged.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:42 am

Finished it all up. Objects In Space really rivals Out of Gas for my favorite episode. Like all Whedon villains, you really like the bad guy in this episode. He's funny, says cool shit, he's troubled, and he does bad things. Reminds me of a bleach-blond bomb-shell named Spike. If the show would have went on, I hope somehow they would have had a return for this guy. I even loved his awesome theme song, somehow eerie and adventurous at the same time.

pspiddy, did you ever end up watching this? I think you said earlier that you've never watched the last episode. If you still haven't and do, my shoulder is always here to cry on.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next