The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

This thread is about Bioshock Infinite

+6
Nephilimi
Krubixcube
b.b.hagen
Miraculous Kaydybug
volvocrusher
SanAndreasX
10 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

This thread is about Bioshock Infinite - Page 3 Empty Re: This thread is about Bioshock Infinite

Post by Nephilimi Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:49 am

Man, watching the ending again, it's just so good.

Nephilimi
Currently Looking Through Their Ascot Closet

Back to top Go down

This thread is about Bioshock Infinite - Page 3 Empty Re: This thread is about Bioshock Infinite

Post by Rainjar Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:34 pm

This has just turned into one of those games that irritates me every time I find out something really neat it done. I'm looking forward to seeing what they make next, hopefully they'll improve if they can look at some real criticism behind all the '10/10 UNFORGETTABLE HEIGHT OF STORYTELLING IN ANYTHING EVER CURED MY CANCER AND SOLVED WORLD HUNGER POSSIBLE GAME OF THE YEAR - IGN APPROVED' that the gaming press has showered them with. Goddamn video games.

This is also neat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQheaCpjH0I
Rainjar
Rainjar
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:51 am

Yeah, it's a flawed game, and I think it sparks a lot of debate about game mechanics and stuff because it does execute its story very well. Just depends what you go into it for. I very much went in for a story and got a wonderful experience in that front. If I was going in to get a good shooter though or a more role playing experience...well, it stumbles and/or fails on that front.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Nephilimi Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:59 am

As much as I didn't initially like the game and as much as I ultimately think it was an inferior game to Bioshock in many ways... I still wouldn't say it's overrated.

And heaping praise on Ken Levine isn't a bad thing. The industry needs more big figureheads that have the clout to make whatever game they want to make. Infinite's success just increases Levine's clout.

This is just one of your random hang up eh Ranger. When a game rubs you the wrong way and you get super polarized.

Nephilimi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:43 pm

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/bioshock-infinite

Look at those scores. Tell me a game with Bioshocks level of disconnect between its narrative and gameplay, along with all that disgusting padding, getting 10s isn't overrated. And we've already gone over how the gameplay itself is far from great, especially the plasmids. The pacing is arguably all over the place, Elizabeth sudden change in scenes when you ask her to lockpick stuff can just butcher it, AND ON MY GOD DO I EVEN NEED TO MENTION
Spoiler:

I can agree with you about Ken becoming more of a figurehead though. That'll be good if he can actually use the potential he's been given now in that situation to make a game that Bioshock: Infinite couldn't quite be.

I guess it comes down to being more of a problem with the scoring system sites go by. Don't get me wrong, when Infinite had its moments I REALLY loved it. The section on the beach kinda place was hands down my favourite bit and the opening had my jaw dropped the whole time. Heck, I even played it well into the last third of the day in my first sitting of it because I just couldn't pull myself away (Until it was like 3am I was getting sick of the padding and awful boss fights). I'd still recommend B:I but it's not a 10, not even close. I assume a 10 is the only way to try and make it stand out instead of a 7-9 that every other game gets.

And if B:I is a 10, what's Spec Ops? I mean seriously, Spec Ops is arguably better than B:I in every single way yet that's the one that gets pulled down for the average gameplay despite it working 1:1 with the story?

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/spec-ops-the-line
Rainjar
Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Nephilimi Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:30 pm

I don't tend to concern myself too too much with critic scores (especially with all the rink dink boutique sites that somehow make it onto metacritic) but, yeah, looking at those scores they are too high. I don't need a critic to validate my opinion but it certainly bothers me when something is really overrated or underrated. I just don't feel like this is that much of a travesty. There's been worse games that have been overrated.

The game is very far from perfect. I just think it's been a while since a blockbuster game did a really good job so that's probably why they are all clammering. All my top 5 games from last year were B games that came out of left field except for Mass Effect. So yeah, I completely agree. With all the 8.5 and 9s handed out for blockbusters just because they are blockbusters, 10 has to be the next mark for prettty good.

Infinite is a cautious 9 for me and it gains a whole point just for the ending. It also loses at least .5 just for those fucking Handymen. Hmm I also gave Spec Ops a 9, it has different problems I guess. But in my mind now Spec Ops is a much better game.

Nephilimi

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:39 pm

I've been playing Infinite for a few days now. The atmosphere is great. The story is a little wonky, but no more so than many of my favorite games are, and I know a lot has been made of the ludonarrative dissonance of the experience. The combat isn't spectacular as far as shooters go, but it's good enough for me since I'm not a big shooter fan to begin with, and I would have loved to have seen Fallout 3/New Vegas' VATS system in this game. Overall I've enjoyed Infinite a lot, and since I wasn't a big fan of Bioshock 1 and 2, that's saying something. I'd give it a 90 out of 100. However, it's certainly not going to challenge Ni no Kuni as my GOTY.

I don't really care about Metacritic myself. Bioshock Infinite is one of the very few 95+ games on MC that hasn't bored the shit out of me. Most of the games I've really loved this generation were mid-80s to mid-90s on MC, but I've found a lot of perfectly fine games like Resonance of Fate that ranked in the mid-70s. I think MC's metrics drag down far too many good, if flawed, games and make them look far worse than they really are, since sites that use "C" as a letter grade only count as the equivalent of a 5 out of 10 on a site that uses numbers, Conversely, MC make many rather mediocre AAA titles look better than they really are, and I think the industry is too hung up on the site.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:41 am

I wouldn't usually link to Metacritic or even pay attention to it, I just wanted to show all the reviews with one link and that was the first site that came to mind.
Rainjar
Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:55 am

Dude...loads of bullshit gets way higher critic scores than it deserves...or lower. Who gives a shit? It' s some arbitrary number some dude (or dudette) has assigned to a game's value.

But in terms of reading the reviews...well...people get hyped. And the problem with reviews of anything is they have to come out quick so that hype just kind of carries on. I still think Bioshock (both games) will be counted as positive steps in storytelling. No, they aren't perfect, as most everything that gets a perfect score when it comes out isn't perfect, but I was very moved by it, I really go into it. Good enough?

Surely we should be intelligent enough beings to play a game and make our own opinion about it. I didn't even read any reviews until after I'd beat it.

And just to be a dick, look at the other games that have gotten huge metacritic scores...World of Goo, Grand Theft Auto IV, Uncharted 2, Skyrim. Not to say any of those games are bad (I personally think they're all pretty good...) but none of them are perfect either. So I don't quite see where the whole "But the reviews say it's so good, why is it not that good?" Just...play it and think for yourself dude.

Ok, rant over. That said.

Hey guys.

Does anyone else think Bioshock's story/atmosphere mixed with Deus Ex's openness/stealthiness RPG/dialogue elements = best game evar?

For me...fuck yeah.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Nephilimi Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:48 am

I love Movie Bob and this made me appreciate the game a lot more.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/7124-Shock-Treatment

From initially making me furious the game has won me over more and more and only gotten better in my mind as time has passed, I think this is why.

Nephilimi

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:59 am

I don't like Movie Bob all that much...he idolizes certain genres to the point of overlooking big flaws. And given, that's his right, he's just not a critic that lines up with me.

Well, that's no true, when we line up I agree with most of his reasoning.

That said, I appreciate his series on the history of hollywood/how the industry works. I think it's goodm ore people know it.

EDIT: That said, should probably reply the video you posted...yeah, that's why I liked that ending, as we talked about earlier. Two sides to everything.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:45 pm

Krubixcube wrote:Dude...loads of bullshit gets way higher critic scores than it deserves...or lower. Who gives a shit? It' s some arbitrary number some dude (or dudette) has assigned to a game's value [etc]

I don't usually care about reviews, I didn't even pay attention to Infinite's until I finished it. I'm just saying I find it extremely hilarious that people think this is some 10/10 piece of intelligent art just because it has a couple of themes and a slightly higher level of writing compared to most video games when really it's just an a slightly above average shooter with a wow epic tweest at the end.
Rainjar
Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:28 pm

I think it has a well-written story in general, I've gotten more out of it intellectually than most of the movies I've seen recently. For a high-concept piece anyway.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:33 pm

Nice ending, if a bit of a mindfuck that made my head spin a little bit. The politics of the game are as subtle as a boot in the ass, but the first game was like that, too.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by Bannen Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:32 pm

Finally finished Infinite the other day, and loved it. The ending took me an extra day or two to properly digest, but now I just want to play it all over again.
Bannen
Bannen
Asks for the "Guile" at the Barbershop

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:36 pm

I had that feeling too. There's only been a few games that the endings made me think "I just need a break or something for a day or two..." because they get in your head that much.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:52 am

Back to Ni no Kuni for me, but the next time I load up Bioshock Infinite I will try 1999 mode. I loved the Hardcore Mode in Fallout: New Vegas.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:26 pm

Gamefly just sent this to me. Looking forward to it and the reading the discussions here.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:45 am

Got to the part where you rejoin Elizabeth. So far this game is fantastic. Loving the shooting and atmosphere. Can't wait to play more.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:07 am

volvocrusher wrote:Got to the part where you rejoin Elizabeth. So far this game is fantastic. Loving the shooting and atmosphere. Can't wait to play more.

The shooting and combat are surprisingly good in Bioshock Infinite. Not the best I've ever played, but I enjoyed it a lot more than the original Bioshock. I love Murder of Crows.

The atmosphere is quite incredible. I'd like to be able to explore more of Columbia.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:05 am

My favorite so far is the Bucking Bronco. It's like a better version of Mass Effect's pull, which I've always loved.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:19 am

Murder of Crows was my most used. Especially once you get the upgrade for it. Crows...shoot someone...more crows! It's brilliant.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Bannen Wed May 01, 2013 12:08 pm

Krubixcube wrote:Murder of Crows was my most used. Especially once you get the upgrade for it. Crows...shoot someone...more crows! It's brilliant.
Love me some Murder of Crows.
Bannen
Bannen

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu May 02, 2013 2:09 am

Wow. Wow wow wow wow wow. That fucking ending. I couldn't fucking believe it. The last quarter of the game was pissing me off starting with
Spoiler:
But holy shit that ending made up for it. God damn. What a fucking amazing ending. May be the best I've seen in a game since MGS3. Definitely like this more than Bioshock 1 and is in my top 3 for GOTY right now.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu May 02, 2013 6:38 am

Glad you enjoyed the ending Greenman. It makes you want to play it through again, right?
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Bannen Thu May 02, 2013 12:48 pm

Krubixcube wrote:Glad you enjoyed the ending Greenman. It makes you want to play it through again, right?
I know it does for me...

@Greenman: Yes, yes, and yes to all your complaints. Dear god, that first one you mention is awful. WHY R U SO HARD 2 KILLZ!?!
Bannen
Bannen

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu May 02, 2013 1:23 pm

I would be replaying it if I didn't rent it. I'll pick it up when it's dirt cheap for a replay because I do want to see the little things that would make sense now.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu May 02, 2013 9:48 pm

That ghost battle...fuck that shit. Not a good part story wise either.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Fri May 03, 2013 5:23 am

Pretty sure that boss battle is universally hated. Not sure what in the blazes they were thinking when making it.
Rainjar
Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator Sun May 05, 2013 12:27 am

Just read this whole thread and gotta say thanks all for not spoiling Bioshock 1 as I have yet to finish that!

I feel like I'm a little slow when it comes to understanding the story here. It probably doesn't help that I watched Looper last night so my mind was already fucked up with time/dimension travel crap.

I was still entirely gripped by that ending. I definitely want to replay this.

Following includes spoilers from Metal Gear Solid 4 and Prince of Persia: Two Thrones
Spoiler:

Oh, and that last ghost battle. I just hunkered down by the dollar bill machine in the corner and sniped
Motinator
Motinator
Has a Bad Case of Headcrabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next