The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Playstation Vita

+5
TripOpt55
volvocrusher
Motinator
pspiddy
BretBaber
9 posters

Go down

Playstation Vita Empty Playstation Vita

Post by BretBaber Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:17 pm

I looked but didn't see a thread for this. Just a random place to talk about the Vita or if you have questions about it.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Playstation Vita Empty Re: Playstation Vita

Post by BretBaber Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:18 pm

Obviously I had a question about it, or else i wouldn't have made the thread. Anyone ever use the remote play feature? If so, how well does it work?
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by BretBaber Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:07 pm

Well that just seems painfully low. One day I attempted to try and get Dragon Quest VIII running but couldn't get it to work. Said PS2 games wouldn't work but I still wanted to try.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:18 am

So I was getting all excited about the new, slim Vita announcement. I didn't realize that it was only for the UK. I know everyone says that the new LCD still isn't as good as the OLED, but I think I'd get it for the slimness and battery life.

You guys need to threaten me or something to make me get it. I remember back in like grade 6, having a countdown chart on my desk for the launch date of the PSP. I never got one. And I'm still at a bit of a dilemma for getting a Vita. I don't commute that much in a day, and that time can easily be taken up with reading or listening to music/podcasts. But on the other hand, I'd love to be a guy on the bus who's not playing Candy Crush/Flappy Bird. I wanna stand up for the good stuff.
Motinator
Motinator
Has a Bad Case of Headcrabs

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:26 am

Honestly, I can't see any reason to pick up one of these over a 3DS if you want a portable.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:21 am

I wouldn't really call the Vita's catalog great with how many games you can get somewhere else. There's a few good original games on the thing, and I can see someone justifying a purchase, but not like the 3DS which is getting all kinds of original games. I mean, I can't even think of any upcoming games besides Gravity Rush.

And I probably play more Vita games than anyone else here thanks to my reviews. OlliOlli and Tearaway were both great games and I'm glad I got to play them. But as someone who played a good chunk of the Vita and 3DS's exclusives, comparing the two is like comparing Wii to PS3. One's just plain better.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:53 am

1. Okay, but at the same time, if you did not have a Vita, they would still be wrecking up your backlog. The only difference is that you'd be thinking that you need to get to them when you turn on your PS3 rather than your Vita. That's my point, when I pick up my 3DS it's to play the game while when I play something on Vita, it's to play on Vita. I'm not really devaluing cross-buy games either, it's just it makes the Vita pretty pointless when the vast majority of its games could be played elsewhere.

2. Even without Pokemon I'd be saying this
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:33 am

To me with PS+ alone it is worth the purchase because of all the free games you'll get, and lately a lot of those games are really great. Some of the best vita games can be had for free if you have PS+ right now (Uncharted, Gravity Rush), and typically there is two free new games to play every month. Sony's also been having a lot more sales lately so you can get games discounted as well (I bought both of the Dragon Fantasy games for half off and got the Walking Dead for $5), so you'll always have something cheap to pay for. The games I've bought are Uncharted, Killzone, FIFA, Little Big lane, Hot Shots Golf, Persona 4, Gravity Rush, and Tearaway and besides Persona I love every game I've bought. PS+ has gifted me at least 20 different games and for the most part most of them are enjoyable. To me it is worth it, I spend every 1 hour lunch time period on it.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:02 pm

I just buy my systems for games, not the tech. Tech gets boring eventually, games never do.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:27 pm

Mot wrote:So I was getting all excited about the new, slim Vita announcement. I didn't realize that it was only for the UK. I know everyone says that the new LCD still isn't as good as the OLED, but I think I'd get it for the slimness and battery life.

You guys need to threaten me or something to make me get it. I remember back in like grade 6, having a countdown chart on my desk for the launch date of the PSP. I never got one. And I'm still at a bit of a dilemma for getting a Vita. I don't commute that much in a day, and that time can easily be taken up with reading or listening to music/podcasts. But on the other hand, I'd love to be a guy on the bus who's not playing Candy Crush/Flappy Bird. I wanna stand up for the good stuff.

I think you'd certainly enjoy a Vita. And you could always download some of the PSP games you missed if they are on the store. The future looks a little bleak as far as exclusive software though. So it matters how big a deal that is to you. It really is a wonderful piece of technology and I've loved the games I've played on it. As much as I like it, I guess it is hard to twist your arm over it though.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:54 pm

As for the greater debate here, I think your initial statement is pretty easy to argue against Greenman. Now we understand that exclusive software is number 1 for you, but you have to realize that isn't the case for everyone. Tech matters to some. Crossplay and remote play matters to some. Hey and even just looking at the software, the Vita's lineup might be more up someone's alley.

And I'd say Mot falls into that latter camp at least. He seems to prefer PlayStation games. I can't recall him ever really showing much interest in Nintendo software. Nor did he ask which he should get.

I haven't dug into 3DS software a ton, but I have definitely preferred my Vita so far. Maybe it will change over time and I will be the first person to admit the future of the Vita doesn't look great, but at the moment I'll take the Vita. And exclusive software is the most important to me too, but it isn't the only factor.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:01 pm

volvocrusher wrote:Honestly, I can't see any reason to pick up one of these over a 3DS if you want a portable.

Not owning a 3DS yet, I can't say that the Vita is better but I can explain why I picked it over a 3DS. Adding PS+ to the system was a bonus but I liked the backwards compatibility with most (but not all) PSP games. When I owned a PSP, I downloaded more games than I used UMDs (for the obvious reason) so when I opened PSN for the first time and saw most of the previously-purchased PSP titles in my download queue, ready to purchase with no cost, I was happy.

The design of the Vita as far as comfort was also a factor. It fits my hands perfectly and didn't feel so awkward like the PSP did. And I'll suspect that it may not be a big selling point that I think it is but why Nintendo didn't put dual analog sticks on the 3DS is baffling. Either they don't make games that take advantage of that or it was a design oversight.

I play my Vita everyday (these past 2 weeks, I end my nights playing Spelunky till I fall asleep). There are plenty of games that I haven't purchased/rented that I still want to get to. It's an ideal platform for indie games. And I have so many hours in the day and so many other distractions that right now, I don't feel I can handle more than one handheld.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:19 pm

The Vita library itself is really underwhelming compared to the 3DS, but if you're a PS+ subscriber already it adds a ton of value and I really think the Vita is the best system to play most games on. The Ps1/PSP emulation is really cool, too, even though you can't play Spyro on it...
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:08 pm

Bah I know when I'm beat. I just was in the same mindset as the current state of the 360, which I'll shit on for the same reasons
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:16 pm

Mot wrote:

If you never got a PSP then a Vita is probably worth it if you don't mind paying silly amounts to DL 'em off the store. I bought my Vita a few months ago and I'm still playing it almost every day. Although the Vita exclusives themselves aren't exactly going to blow your mind if you missed out on the PSP and have some PS1 games you'd like to revisit then you have plenty to sink your time into. The tech is great but Sony really need to support it, it simply doesn't have any killer games yet. Gonna pick up a 3DS too this year because PC multi-console handheld masterrace.

Anyway the most important part of owning a Vita is making sure your pebbles are nice.
Vita:
Rainjar
Rainjar
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:23 pm

Trip's right haha. The point of my post is that I want you guys to come after me if I don't post a picture of my own Vita a week after the new one comes out. But great debate.

I do think it is the right decision. I've never owned anything other than the Playstation consoles, and I'd rather do one thing well instead of a couple halfway.

For example, I'm a huge Ratchet and Clank fan, but I've never played Size Matters or Secret Agent Clank.

I think I would actually get Playstation Plus because the convenience of a handheld makes the constant updates better. It's not worth it on my PS3 if it just makes me take longer to play The Last of Us. But being able to look forward every month to something new to screw around with on the bus would be exciting.

Does anyone have an idea when the slim will come to NA?
Motinator
Motinator

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:50 pm

The Vita is picking up in Japan. It might get a few of the kind of nichey titles the PSP got in the last few years of its life. Who knows if they'll come to the US, but at least the Vita isn't region-locked, right?
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:31 pm

Reading the Playstation Blog lately is getting me even more excited. It seems like most of the posts are new games for Vita. Not that they'll all be good, but...

And I wanna blue one
Motinator
Motinator

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:18 am

Does anyone know if you can use a PS3 or PS4 controller for your Vita? I should probably know this answer, but I don't think that you can. Some things on Ratchet that would be easier with a good controller.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:23 am

Wouldn't it make more sense to just play Ratchet on PS3 if you're using a controller?
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:53 am

But I'm not playing it on my PS3. Thanks for the help though.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:25 am

I don't think you can Bret. I did some googling and can only seem to find ways to use it for remote play, but I'm guessing you want to be able to do some trophying on the Vita version but with a controller right? So you want a way to be able to use a controller for the actual Vita version.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:28 am

Yup. Strafing isn't bad on the Vita (you have to hold the back right touch pad), but it makes my hand go numb after too long and I actually occasionally drop it. Just figured if I'm sitting at home it would make a great game even better.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:55 am

Can you remap strafing to one of the main shoulder buttons on the Vita. I forget what you'd be replacing, but perhaps something that you don't use as much as strafing?
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:36 am

Ah, didn't think it was trophy related. Otherwise was just saying that using a controller on a Vita seems weird for a game you can play on PS3, felt it defeated the purpose of playing on a handheld.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:39 am

It's weird, you can go into the control settings and it says something like "Edit controls", but the only thing you can do is turn the subtitles on and off. I wish you could, because the button I'd replace is the button to crouch and throw the wrench. I really only use that when smashing the crates that blow up. I'm rather surprised they wouldn't let you edit, since the strafing is big in that game and a lot of people don't like using the back touch pad.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down