The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

If you were to introduce Trip an RPG game to play, what would it be?

+6
Miraculous Kaydybug
lenny.b
volvocrusher
SanAndreasX
TripOpt55
BretBaber
10 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

If you were to introduce Trip an RPG game to play, what would it be? - Page 4 Empty Re: If you were to introduce Trip an RPG game to play, what would it be?

Post by BretBaber Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:57 am

With an RPG game, there is something other than gameplay that has to click for you. For me, I really enjoy level grinding and watching my character get stronger. Another thing I love is the story, normally an RPG has a really rich story with a great cast of characters. Something I don't always get from a game like Ratchet and Clank or inFamous.

If I ever see FFIX on sale again I'll let you know. There is one RPG I think you'll actually really like, and that's Brave Fencer Musashi. It's basically Square's attempt at mimicking Zelda. Only thing I'm not sure of is how well the game has aged over time. If you ever see that game for cheap or if they put it on the store, I'd suggest trying that one sometime.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

If you were to introduce Trip an RPG game to play, what would it be? - Page 4 Empty Re: If you were to introduce Trip an RPG game to play, what would it be?

Post by volvocrusher Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:14 pm

You know how much I love ME1, but I completely get how the time before you get your ship can be a real drag. I'm just so in love with the universe that I enjoy every second with a ME game (unless it involves Kai Leng. Ugh). Your impressions with it so far are the kind of thing I honestly expect from a lot of people, even ones who enjoy RPGs. The upside is that the game definitely tones down the talking from here on, only Noveria had a talking heavy portion and that's nothing compared to the Citadel. The rest favor shooting to talking.

I think you'd like how 2 handles it a lot more though. It's set up more like a shooter with a bunch of missions that are almost entirely shooting then when you're done the talking is mostly just getting to know your squad mates in between. There's still planets to roam around like the Citadel, but they're all smaller than it and talking is mostly side missions.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:11 pm

That actually makes me a bit more hopeful. I have just gotten back to my ship now. I've also been told by a few people along with you that I'd enjoy 2 more. I'm definitely going to keep going. I also imagine leveling and weapon management will get more interesting over time too.

I also didn't do myself any favors because I was doing like every piece of dialog, but I figured that was kind of important. Learning all of different background stuff. But then I come in here and complain about!
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:29 pm

I hate going around and talking to every NPC in games, but I always do it. Even when I replay games.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:48 pm

BretBaber wrote:I hate going around and talking to every NPC in games, but I always do it.  Even when I replay games.  

I always liked talking to NPCs in the Lunar games, just to see if Working Designs threw in another inappropriate joke. I love those games.

I don't always like talking to every NPC myself. I also get kind of frustrated with the long, meandering conversation trees you see in a lot of RPGs nowadays, especially with all the voice acting they have. I actually don't like a lot of RPG voice acting. I can read text faster than the characters talk, so I get impatient with listening to their whole spiel. On the other hand, interrupting them is really jarring to me.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:45 pm

SanAndreasX wrote:I can read text faster than the characters talk, so I get impatient with listening to their whole spiel. On the other hand, interrupting them is really jarring to me.

I'm the exact same way. As much as I hate listening to their dumb voice, I still sit there and listen. An idiot, I am.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:52 pm

That's why on first playthroughs I tend to turn subtitles off (if the voice acting is decent). Gets me more immersed.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:52 pm

I'm kind of the same way, but there are some NPCs I always have fun talking to. Conrad Verner is always a highlight of all three Mass Effects.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:21 pm

BretBaber wrote:
SanAndreasX wrote:I can read text faster than the characters talk, so I get impatient with listening to their whole spiel. On the other hand, interrupting them is really jarring to me.

I'm the exact same way.  As much as I hate listening to their dumb voice, I still sit there and listen.  An idiot, I am.

I actually wish you could turn the voices off as well. I'd really rather read the speech and move on.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:27 pm

I did that for Persona 3 and 4 (turning the voices off and just reading)...and I was very happy about it. I mean, I know some people love that style of anime-English-dub but it really grates on me because the emotions aren't...normal, can't describe it any better way and the game was much better for it imo. Not to mention there's something about VERY american voices in a Japanese setting which grates on me.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:32 pm

Trip, Final Fantasy IX is on sale and it is playable on the Vita or PSP. Obviously looks better on the Vita so that i where I'd play it. It's $4.99, down from $9.99. If you don't want to buy it that's fine I hold no grudges, just informing you of the sale.

Also, I'd still like to see another thread like this posted. Every 6 months I come back and root for this to happen like a peppy cheerleader. Reward my peppiness you big strong football boys and make it happen!
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:59 pm

What genres does everyone traditionally avoid?
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:51 am

I'm typically a disliker of strategy games and puzzle games. That just makes me sound like a brain dead dumby pants though.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:04 am

i'll generally play anything if i can have fun with it.

I do however avoid games with ugly protagonists.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug
Sees Tetris Blocks EVERYWHERE

http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/stabs

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:10 pm

Strategy games and MMOs
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:04 pm

I was playing Valkyrie Profile 2 and i think it would be a good suggestion for this thread. It's a very interesting take on roleplaying games in general. While combat is a little obtuse, dungeon exploring is done through 2D platforming areas set up like metroidvania style maps. The platforming itself isnt that challenging but theres a lot of great platforming puzzles to solve if you want to get all the treasure.

I'd recommend the first one as well, but its way harder to find, and requires a ton more micromanaging and time management. 2 is pretty straight up and simple in that regard.

Beyond that i think more people should play it. It's one of the best PS2 RPGs. Though its story kind of blows everything else is amazing. I'm really just recommending it to the whole club though actually i think theres plenty here who would enjoy it
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug
Sees Tetris Blocks EVERYWHERE

http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/stabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:07 am

MMO's might be hard to recommend but I'm sure we can think of a few strategy games for aja and Bret...
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:09 pm

Krubixcube wrote:MMO's might be hard to recommend but I'm sure we can think of a few strategy games for aja and Bret...

Since I know somebody would suggest XCom: I already have it :p Just waiting for a PC I can play it on
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:30 pm

I was actually going to suggest X-Com *cough* >_>
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4