The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

If you were to introduce Trip an RPG game to play, what would it be?

+6
Miraculous Kaydybug
lenny.b
volvocrusher
SanAndreasX
TripOpt55
BretBaber
10 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

If you were to introduce Trip an RPG game to play, what would it be? - Page 3 Empty Re: If you were to introduce Trip an RPG game to play, what would it be?

Post by TripOpt55 Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:00 am

Krubixcube wrote:Who else is picky about genres here?
Does me not enjoying RPGs mean I'm picky about genres? I feel I play a wide range of genres actually. Kind of a stupid thing to say.

We had this conversation before and Bret said before it wasn't just about someone not liking a genre, but still we never came up with a good topic.

Last edited by TripOpt55 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

If you were to introduce Trip an RPG game to play, what would it be? - Page 3 Empty Re: If you were to introduce Trip an RPG game to play, what would it be?

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:01 am

I am with first person shooters kind of, but ill still play them
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug
Sees Tetris Blocks EVERYWHERE

http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/stabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:36 am

No, I don't mean that as an insulting statement...there's nothing wrong with being picky about genres. I don't particularly like fighting games, or MMOs either. We all have our preferred genres methinks.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:47 am

I just knew that Trip didn't really like role playing games of the Final Fantasy variety. Also knew mostly everyone on the forum but him enjoyed those style of games and could easily give plenty of recommendations.

Another example would be "If you were to make Bret play an X-Box game which would it be and why?" I'm not a fan of the X-Box exclusives, they just don't interest me all that much. Something like that would be fine too, doesn't always have to be genre related. I just really enjoyed everyone's responses on this topic so I would love to see more similar ones posted.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:48 am

I'm sort of picky about genres. My library includes a bit of everything, but it's definitely weighted heavily in RPGs and light in certain other genres.

I'd say my game library can be broken down, from most to least by genre: RPG > Action RPG > SRPG > Fighting (more 3-D fighting than 2-D fighting > Beat-em-up > General action > Classic arcade > TPS > FPS > Life sims (i.e. SimCity and Harvest Moon) > Puzzle > Sports.

That's not counting the occasional MMORPG, MOBA, or RTS, as well as niche genres. I feel my library is fairly well-rounded overall and there would be no point in "If you were to introduce SanAndreas to such-and-such genre what would it be?" I've played them all. But I think everyone is like this. Gaming time is not infinite, and it generally goes to more favored genres. At some point, there's no point in suffering through a genre or game you don't really like just to say you've played it. What would I be trying to prove and who am I trying to prove it to?

So, there isn't anything really wrong with being "picky." I agree with Krubix on that one.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:16 am

Krubixcube wrote:No, I don't mean that as an insulting statement...there's nothing wrong with being picky about genres. I don't particularly like fighting games, or MMOs either. We all have our preferred genres methinks.
If not particularly liking one genre is picky which you are admitting you do, why did you infer I was the only one that was picky? I'm not really insulted. Would just prefer not to have things said about me that aren't true. I still think saying someone is picky over not liking one genre seems off, but if its true your statement was kind of pointless anyway, so I wasn't sure what else its aim could have been.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:20 am

I wasn't inferring it was only you...? I'm not sure if you're just reading a tone that wasn't there or something man but seriously, I honestly meant NOTHING by it. I honestly was asking "who else has a genre that they don't particularly click with?"
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:42 am

Ah given that we had this discussion earlier in the thread, I figured that was what you were inferring otherwise why say it again. I guess asking who else and then admitting it applied to you after I questioned it seemed odd to me. Why not throw yourself out there as an example then. Anyway, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here though. Took it the wrong way I guess.

Edit: Sorry for the partial thread derail.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Krubixcube Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:02 am

I tend not to get into open world games personally. I think Red Dead Redemption is the only open world game I've ever beaten. When confronted with the option to do everything I just end up doing nothing.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by ajapam Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:47 pm

The only reason to beat Just Cause 2 is because the final boss fight involves riding nuclear missiles

We could do a similar topic with movies. I'm sure most of us have genres that we avoid there
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Very true, very true.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:09 am

I'm just going to throw it out there that my original pick for Trip is now on sale and is perfect to play on the Vita. Just a little FYI Smile
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:02 pm

Which game are we talking here? FFIX? I will get it if I can play it on the Vita.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:55 pm

So there's that Pokemon X/Y promotion if you haven't done Club Nintendo yet.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:13 pm

I was thinking about that. I have not done Club Nintendo. Do they do these promotions often? Otherwise I might as well give it a try.

Also what are my options for getting Mass Effect 1 on PS3. Just digital and the trilogy?
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:24 pm

Last time they did a promotion like this was a year ago where you got Luigi's Mansion if you got a high selling 3DS game with the system. There will probably be one 2015 but I can't say for sure.

And those are your only options for Mass Effect
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:38 pm

Speaking of the pokemon promotion, is there any way to register an eShop game that I got before linking my accounts? All Nintendo's page says is that I won't get coins for them
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:06 pm

Damn, I didn't see your response for FFIX. And yes, you could have bought it for the Vita.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:37 pm

And I forgot I posted it. If only you would have responded Bret. I might be playing FFIX right now!

I think I am going to buy the digital version of Mass Effect. Worse case scenario my brother can play it again since we are 360-less these days. If it goes well I can just rent the other two individually on Gamefly I think.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:40 pm

I actually have a spare code for the Cerberus Pack in 2 when you get to that Trip. Some of the best stuff in 2 comes from that DLC.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:40 pm

That was made free. My 360 copy is used and i didnt have to enter the code on PS3. EA made it free when they revoked their online passes.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:47 pm

Ah, cool so you can get it either way.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:25 pm

I like that you have faith that I'll actually complete the first game to even get to 2 and that DLC! I am going to try my best.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:53 pm

If I ever see it on sale again, I'll be sure to let you know. There are other role playing games I think you'd like, but I wanted to give you something you weren't already comfortable with. In the end I think the cast of characters in Final Fantasy IX are charming enough to win over anybody.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:35 pm

That is the thing about ME2...you really NEED some of the DLC to appreciate the story or even understand some of the story points in 3.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:02 am

The only DLC you have to buy if you get it on PS3 is Arrival everything else (save for a few weapons and cosmetic items) is on the disc or free in that Cerberus pack. The problem is PS3 version kind of has some hiccups here and there. Nothing too bad but it froze on me a bit more than the 360 version.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:40 am

I was going to put this in the played in March thread, but was afraid to derail. I will plop it in here.

So I've played about five hours of Mass Effect I think. I guess I just don't quite get it yet. I feel like the balance between walking around and talking vs. combat is very poor (leans so heavily on the former). And I find the combat to be rather clunky when it does show up. I don't think it is a secret that I don't care for just talking in games. Even with choices in dialog and as rich as the world building and characters are here, I don't feel particularly engaged from a play standpoint which is important to me in games. It is the reason I never finished The Walking Dead game. I feel the TWD game perfectly captures the feeling of the comic books, but the comics books give me what I want when I sit down with a comic. The TWD game on the other hand doesn't give me what I want from a game.

I know this makes me sound like I need constant explosions to enjoy a game, but you guys here know me better than that. I prefer stuff like platforming/puzzles to combat, so that isn't really the issue.

Obviously as evidenced in this thread, I don't have a ton to compare this to. But taking Jade Empire as an example, even though I never finished it, I was enjoying myself more at this point in that game. Combat was a lot more fun early on and the balance seemed much better to me, so I felt more engaged.

Now that I am finished Infamous I am going to get back to this. I don't know I felt like I'd throw this out there. I'm not sure what for. I guess I just wanted to say something about it somewhere.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:59 am

Some people just play games for...that, the gameplay aspect, and to be honest RPGs in that respect almost always are weaker. And I think the areas of the brain that light up when it does click is VERY different than when you get enjoyment from nailing a platforming section or something.

I can't even describe it, I think it's very much the same part of my brain that enjoys playing a board game where your brain is getting enjoyment because you're mastering the mechanics as opposed to displaying any physical prowess or skill.

I'm not saying that to educate you or anything stupid like that, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't blame you for not getting into it nor do I look down on you for it.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next