The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Wanna Play Some Old School PS1 Role Playing Games?

+4
ajapam
Krubixcube
pspiddy
BretBaber
8 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Wanna Play Some Old School PS1 Role Playing Games? - Page 3 Empty Re: Wanna Play Some Old School PS1 Role Playing Games?

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:09 pm

Where after Viper Manor are you still in the Demi-human town?
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug
Sees Tetris Blocks EVERYWHERE

http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/stabs

Back to top Go down

Wanna Play Some Old School PS1 Role Playing Games? - Page 3 Empty Re: Wanna Play Some Old School PS1 Role Playing Games?

Post by BretBaber Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:53 am

I wouldn't call it a town, it's more like a seaside port. I think I'm supposed to go to the Hydra Marshes.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:01 am

Did you decide to get the humour or not that kind of makes a big difference in what youre supposed to do next

If you decided to get it head to see the Shrine Maiden shes in a big tent, then Korcha will boat you to where you need to go.

If you decided not to you have to find Korcha at the top of the tower where the hospital is. Then his mother will join you and let you use her boat.

On a side note i dont actually remember all this i do vaguely but im also reading the guide.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:15 am

See, this is the one thing about CC that didn't age well for me...I found myself getting lost a lot. Which, as a kid, I was dumb so whatever, but as an adult I shouldn't be getting stuck.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:59 am

I've never had that problem I've always had the guide cause a (back then) casual like me dont know how to play no arrpeegees
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:43 am

I got a on a boat with Korcha, so I'm assuming I'm going for some Humour. I don't even remember talking about a Humour to be honest.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:52 pm

I think you have that conversation about it automatically when you get to Guldove the first time
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:43 pm

I am on track. I think I know why I got lost the first time. Bak then I didn't know you had to hit square to use the item to teleport. Always figured I was supposed to go that beach through the portal but could never figure out why it didn't work. I'm at the hydra forest now and I'm gonna save that bitch, Kid. I am a hero.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:52 am

But saving her means you can't get that one character you wanted till new game+. The one thats related to Frog. Though you really cant change that now.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:34 am

Wellsonofabitch. Since I never really met the guy I can't say it's a real loss. Oh well. All in all, I think I'm just going to play it like I normally would play the game. New characters be damned.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:50 am

You meet him briefly in Termina, and in Viper Manor.

It's this guy

Wanna Play Some Old School PS1 Role Playing Games? - Page 3 QSLwrns

He's not a frog or anything but they have some relation I can't remember what though.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:20 am

He looks like a Serge/Cloud Strife love child. Good lookin' man!
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:54 pm

Played some more of Chrono Cross. I really like everything except the battles, which is a big part of role playing games. It's just so slow paced and I hate how elements work. Since I beat Killzone Mercenaries, maybe I'll try to find some more time for this game.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:59 am

Elements were weird...remember thinking that in my latest playthrough.

Got to Ultimecia's castle in FFVIII then died and got super frustrated since I had forgotten to save (died on the 3rd boss I fought). So yeah. That happened.

FFVIII definitely does not hold up nearly as well as IX did in either story or in gameplay. That said, it's refreshing that characters do stuff a lot more responsively in battles at least.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:33 am

Don't know if I mentioned but I beat FFVIII again...man, that game just didn't age well. Especially the story. I think what I remember (much like Xenogears) is some of the amazing SET UPS in the story. There's some excellent ideas in there. Sorceress wars/dictatorship, time compression, hidden cities, military schools designed to keep the sorceresses in bay but so many of the details were jsut glossed over that none of them ever take hold.

Also, I know I've mentioned it but DESPITE Square rejecting it, the Rinoa is actually Ultimecia theory makes hte game SO much better. If they would have embraced it and really went with it as the game's main focus it would have been amazing. Because the whole theme was supposed to be fate and whatnot. So then there's that conflict "do you kill Rinoa and potentially stop her turning evil or keep her alive and live a happy life but risk the cycle repeating itself" makes for a really interesting story, plus more complexity in the love story. FFVIII is a game I'd love to remake. Me and my girlfriend have had hour long discussions on how we'd change it, though she wants to make it into a TV series/episodic type thing and i'd want to do it as a game again so inevitably it's a little different but yeah...it's begging to be remade.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:28 pm

I replayed it when it released on the store a few years ago and the happy memories I had of the game completely disappeared upon replaying it. The story is weird, the characters are lame, and I have said it before but I hate how Squall completely changes his feelings for Rinoa when she's hanging on that ledge. Lame. The best part about that game is the music, which is still a delight to this day.

Still struggling through Chrono Cross, I just don't find it fun I'm afraid. Sad
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:54 am

I guess it's refreshing when you play games like that though so that you know your nostalgia blinders aren't TOO strong. The characters are lame though. Outside of Squall and Rinoa no one really has a personality or a character ark. The story is...nonsensical at times. I think partly because it has a semi-realistic setting which makes it harder to suspend one's disbelief.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:22 am

I promised myself I would never play the game again, but for some dumb reason I want to play it again despite my hatred for the last play through. Why am I stupid?
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:55 am

There is good within it...there's just a lot that isn't.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:14 am

I played a bit more and now I'm on a ghost ship. Understanding the combat a little bit more, but I still wish it was a little bit faster paced. Like I said before, I wish they gave you the options of a tutorial, now I have to read the instruction booklet! Sad
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:53 pm

Like many PSOne RPGs it gives you a tutorial but way too early in the game and everything at once instead of dishing it out in little pieces.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:21 pm

I don't remember one. A little more info on elements would be nifty.

I felt as if the Hydra Marshes was a lot more difficult than most things I've come across in the game.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:06 pm

The old guy in the village gives you one right at the beginning I think (it has been a long time since i played it last). When in doubt, just remember you can run from ANY fight including boss fights. Which I thought was genius. I hate when you go in, fight a boss, get killed because he has some setup that you would have had to prepare for andn your only choice is to grudgingly wait to be killed.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:23 am

Krubixcube wrote:I hate when you go in, fight a boss, get killed because he has some setup that you would have had to prepare for andn your only choice is to grudgingly wait to be killed.
My counter for that is to level grind and be super strong, but this game doesn't allow me to do that Sad 
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:49 am

Well, you can run away from boss fights in CC is what I"m saying, so it's easier to prep.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:24 am

I still wish I could level grind. For some reason that is always very rewarding feeling. Thanks for the tip though, because I definitely didn't know that.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:14 am

Your levels should almost always be around that of the bosses. The difficulty is pretty well balanced
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:25 am

I actually enjoyed not leveling since I always played thorugh RPGs as quickly as I could (I.e. one track, for the story). I think there's a system to be done there. Not leveling but tweaking additional stats to work for a given dungeon instead...so many ideas...
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:30 pm

I love to run around world maps and explore every nook and cranny before heading into the next town. Watching a character level up is very addicting, kind of like old woman and farmville.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:43 pm

I've been enjoying Chrono Cross a lot more since I'm finally starting to understand the combat. I broke down and started reading my manual to better understand elements. Also didn't realize each character will get their own Level 3/5 tech levels at a certain point.

The characters I use are Serge, Kid, and Korcha. I have like 2 or 3 others but they seem lame. I'll go to gamefaqs to check my progress and they have characters in their party that I've never heard of. Oh well. I like these three kids.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next