The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Wanna Play Some Old School PS1 Role Playing Games?

+4
ajapam
Krubixcube
pspiddy
BretBaber
8 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Wanna Play Some Old School PS1 Role Playing Games? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wanna Play Some Old School PS1 Role Playing Games?

Post by ajapam Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:21 pm

Actually, I changed my mind. I'm gonna jump straight into Chrono Cross since it's not a direct sequel and I've been putting it off for too long.
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Wanna Play Some Old School PS1 Role Playing Games? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wanna Play Some Old School PS1 Role Playing Games?

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:07 pm

Chrono Cross is my favorite PS1 game i would be willing to play it, but Saints Row IV is coming out tuesday an ill be focusing on that.

And about Parasite Eve. 2 really isnt RPG its more survival horror with RPG elements rather than RPG with survival horror elements like the first. Basically just Resident Evil with magic. Not really much like the first. and I'd reccomend skipping 3rd Birthday its not good. The gameplay is pretty cool, kind of KH as a third person shooter, but its story does everything in its power to ruin everything you loved about the first two games. Especially that ending. GOD i want to punch the writer for that shit.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug
Sees Tetris Blocks EVERYWHERE

http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/stabs

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:27 pm

But I'll be too curious, I'll have to at some point play the third one. I'm not surprised it got messed up, seems like Square loves to do that with their franchises nowadays. I wish they'd put Brave Fencer Musashi on the PSN store, I'd love to play that on my handheld.

Glad you decided to skip Chrono Trigger. I'm probably going to finish Threads of Fate today and I was hoping to start up Chrono Cross as soon as possible. How do we want to go about playing it? I've never played it, so I have no idea where bosses and good discussing points are.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:54 pm

Halfway through Chrono Cross theres a huge plot twist thats worth discussing
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:18 pm

I beat Threads of Fate. At some point today I will be starting Chrono Cross. Anyone know how long the game is roughly?
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:43 pm

i'd say 40 hours
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:47 pm

I'm assuming they have a good amount of side quests too, right?
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:40 pm

yeah theres a LOT of different characters to recruit and some even have their own side quests. Theres a lot of stuff thats missable too.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:21 pm

I'm still powering through FFVIII...but the next playthrough I do of CC I want to do one with a guide so I can get all da characters.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:43 am

I'm only a couple hours into Chrono Cross so far. Things keep coming up when I start playing. The combat system is pretty neat, though. No MP to worry about and I can heal automatically after a battle if I don't use those powers in battle. I'm always obsessed with MP and health levels so it's great for me
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:00 am

I am at the part where I'm going to look at the grave. I wonder if they ever do an explanation of the combat though. Sometimes I like those. Also, how does leveling up work? I see my HP levels up and sometimes other things, but I don't see any points that I've received to level up. If I wasn't lazy, I could look it up in the instruction booklet, but the cheeky bastard in me finds this to be a great way of talking about the game!
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:19 am

Enemies drop stat points along with the items, etc. Certain enemies give different stats amounts etc. What you cap out at is determined by how many major enemies you've beaten. You gain a star for those, but basically you really dont have to worry much cause as long as you fight your levels should be fine. Youre level is for the most part determined by how many bosses you've beaten to put it simply. Also every fight with Solt and Pepper is a tutorial pay attention to those.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:59 am

Thanks for the info. So from what I gathered from your above info, level grinding really won't do much, it's the bosses that really matter?

Also, I know there are missable characters, there isn't a character similar to Frog from Chrono Trigger that is missable is there? He was one of the coolest designed characters ever. So if there's a cool missable character similar to him, point me in the right direction to obtain.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:10 pm

Yeah grinding really doesn't do THAT much. Though you'll still get gold and material drops for equipment, but stats stop rising pretty quickly if you fight enough. The system was designed to eliminate the need for grinding basically.

There's a few characters that are missable, and a few that require you to take a certain path in the story. The character you're talking about is probably Glen. He's not a frog or anything, but he's a swordsmen and has some relation to Frog. To get him just say no when asked to find the Hydra Humour. There's no other way if you take that path he'll join automatically. You will however miss 1-2 stars since that skips a dungeon, but he's pretty much worth it. One of the best characters in the game. Him and Serge also have a level 3 dual tech element.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:05 am

Two hours in. I'd probably be further, but lately I've felt really tired, and this game has good soothing music and it puts me to sleep. Really fantastic soundtrack and I'm only 2 hours in.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:19 am

Every time I play Chrono Cross, it ends up putting me to sleep. Not saying the game is bad, but I always find myself getting a little heavy eyes during dialogue scenes. I do this a lot anymore when I play RPG's on my Vita with headphones on.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Krubixcube Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:28 am

Chrono Cross is a good game, and an amazing soundtrack but it's story is a bit unfocused at times.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:06 am

I just got on a boat to get to Viper Manor. Decided it was time to stop playing yesterday when once again I started to nod off.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:34 am

It's that soundtrack man! It's so soothing! It's amazing to study to
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:52 am

Today I'll be playing on lunch at work. This should be the ultimate test. I rarely nod off in public. Made it through my entire high school years without sleeping once.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:54 am

Yeah, I never slept in class BUT, big asterisk, I was a big daydreamer.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:16 pm

I was always daydreaming or listening to music.

Didn't fall asleep, but only played for 15 minutes because I took a short lunch.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:03 pm

Did anyone load up and play the game? I knew a few said they were going to try.

Right now I'm at Viper Manor. Haven't played it as much as I would like for unknown reason to me. I really like the soundtrack. Anyone have a link to the soundtrack that I can download?
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:48 pm

I'm at the Hydra Marshes. At first I was a bit worried that I'd fall behind, haha. That's not long after Viper Manor though
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:46 pm

Most of my playtime will be at work on lunch. So on average I'll get close to an hour a day.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:25 pm

I'm at water dragon isle and I think I'm stuck. Gonna try a few more things to progress but I might have to look up some hints :\

ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:51 pm

Are you trying to get the Ice Breath? Make sure you're at the Water Dragon Island in Home World. Talk to the guy at the docks in Arni he'll take you there.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:24 pm

Ah, that's it. I figured I'd have to go there in home world but I didn't know how to get to the island. Thanks
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:50 pm

I'm after Viper Manor, but I really have no idea where I'm supposed to go. This is the same place I got stuck at years and years ago.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next