The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Platformer Thread

+6
SanAndreasX
Miraculous Kaydybug
volvocrusher
TripOpt55
pspiddy
Captain N
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Platformer Thread Empty Platformer Thread

Post by Captain N Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:07 pm

Well since we now have an RPG thread (and we all know Pokemon is the best rpg ever) I thought why not make a thread on platforming games? Can be about platformers, action adventure platformers, any platformer in general and anything you want to talk about them. Bet it discussing past, present or future games as well as you anticipated platforming games.

So I'll get the ball rolling, I'm anticipating Super Mario 3D World because 3D Mario with 4 player co-op sounds awesome, wish it had online though. And even if I'm not getting DKC:TF I'll be playing it since my brother is getting it.
Captain N
Captain N
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Platformer Thread Empty Re: Platformer Thread

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:36 pm

Honestly other than the ones you mentioned... I'm not sure on PS2. I know you played Prince of Persia before you said and in that mold, Tomb Raider Anniversary is great.

Anyone else actually agree with me on Super Mario Bros. 3 being better than World? I feel it has better level design and platforming. Did most of the big moves forward for the franchise before World. I know I'm usually on an island with that opinion around here.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:22 pm

World is just better. Anyways, I'm also excited for 3D World, but may be more excited for Rayman Legends. That Black Betty level just looks fun as hell.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:57 pm

Super Mario Bros. 2 and Sunshine are my favorite Mario platformers. that makes me insane in most circles. 3D world looks so fucking amazing its actually the Wii U game i want most that isn't Bayonetta 2.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug
Sees Tetris Blocks EVERYWHERE

http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/stabs

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:59 pm

Count me in as someone who liked SMB 3 better than SMW, Trip.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by chocobot Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:20 am

Super Mario World all the way. I've just always liked it a lot more.
chocobot
chocobot
Will Eat Lizard Tails to Improve Stamina

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:27 am

I grew up with not many Nintendo consoles so I was all about Crash Bandicoot (2 and 3) and LATELY Rayman Origins blew my mind. Been playing Mario on the DS and Rayman was just so much quicker and so much...faster. Because each level had 2 or 3 big rooms essentially to master and you weren't penalized for dying it just really gave me the incentive to go for everything which I usually don't do. But yeah, my favorite platformer of the current generation Rayman.

Of hte PS2 gen...hmmmm, can't really recall. I've always liked platformers but never been super good at them so...
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:45 am

SanAndreasX wrote:Count me in as someone who liked SMB 3 better than SMW, Trip.

Yeah! San knows what's up. Of the people answering this question did you play 3 or World first? Other than the re-explorable world map, I'm not sure what World actually does better. I could see people liking it more for the Cape or Yoshi. Obviously there is an inherent fun factor I or people on the opposing side can't quite put into words, but I stand by better platforming and level design in 3.

3D World looks a little disapointing to me coming off of Galaxy. I have not played 3D Land though so maybe I don't know what I'm getting into. I do really like the 4 player co-op and Peach being in it as playable.

I'm more excited for Rayman, Puppeteer and Tearaway though Tearaway in particular probably won't be as platforming focused.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:35 am

Oh come on that comparison is absurd. Not sure how I lost you. Other than that one thing I prefer 3. The ability to replay levels via an improved world map (basically the level select screen is what I'm referring to if that isn't clear) in World isn't as important to me as better level design and platforming which I feel 3 has. And making most of the important moves forward for the franchise that 3 did. I prefer 3's power-ups too. So what I'm saying is World does something better, but I prefer 3 in most every other area, so I think 3 is better.

Graphics aren't a huge deal to me when we are comparing games from two different gens. Obviously World's are better, but I'd say both looked great for their time and hardware, so it's not a huge deal for me on that front.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:13 am

Honestly I'm trying to articulate what I like better about 3 in hopes others might equally support their position whether they agree or not. Other than you which mentioned reasons why you'd pick World, people just basically said one is better which is fine but doesn't make for as interesting a discussion, so I'm trying to stir some up!

Re: Graphics. That ignores the larger gap in Japanese release dates right? But forget that even. Regarding graphics, what I mean is I rate graphics by comparing them to games that releases in the same time period on similar hardware. God of War 2 (PS2) released after Gears of War (360). But when we praise God of War 2's graphics we compare it to other PS2 or Xbox/Gamecube games not 360 and PS3 games right?

Re: Yoshi. Again I like 3's powerups better. Period. But I am not so blind that I can't see why someone might prefer World's powerups (assuming we lump Yoshi into them) due to the Yoshi factor. I personally do not though.

I can't argue the overworld, but don't think it's nearly as important to me as the many other things I've mentioned that I prefer about 3. I'm not saying that someone liking World better is crazy or something, but just looking for some discussion on why. Maybe that is where I was coming off wrong. Maybe I was sounding like taking the opposing position was crazy. I obviously don't think that. I love World too.

And these are like 1 and 2 on my all-time Mario game list (maybe on my all-time 2D platformer list, I might rank Yoshi's Island ahead of World on that list though). I realize I'm splitting hairs, but just think it'd be more fun to actually discuss why. Which is why I was pitching that Zelda thread of a similar nature, but am not sure anyone wants to get into a discussion of this nature.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:45 am

I like the level structure and game mechanics of SMB3 a lot better. I also loved SMB3's far greater variety of power-ups, and I like said power-ups better than what SMW has to offer.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by chocobot Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:23 pm

I'm okay with admitting that I prefer World for better and more colorful graphics and Yoshi. I really love Yoshi. I honestly can't remember if the platforming and level design are that much better in 3 though, so I should probably play it again. I think I'll do that thanks to this discussion.

Trip, I agree with you about 3D World though. I was expecting something really awesome like the Galaxy games but 3D World looked really underwhelming... I'm not very excited : (
chocobot
chocobot
Will Eat Lizard Tails to Improve Stamina

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain N Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:05 pm

chocobot wrote:Super Mario World all the way. I've just always liked it a lot more.

I agree, SMB3 was great, but SMW is perfection.
Captain N
Captain N

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain N Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:07 pm

3D World looks amazing, yeah it seems like a step down from the Galaxy games but it still looks fun and they finally delivered 4 player co-op in a 3D Mario game. Wish it had online though, online would be a hoot.
Captain N
Captain N

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:24 pm

Super Mario Bros. 3 was the more innovative while Super Mario World is expansive and more refined. I think both have great level design and power-ups. Yoshi isn't necessarily a deal-breaker (since you couldn't use him all the time) but I loved him. I liked the hidden stuff in levels that would add new areas to the map; the world would expand as you progressed.

I think the enemies in World are stronger; the battles with the Koopalings are more challenging and some of the new enemies (Chargin' Chuck, Magikoopa) were great. I also prefer the Bowser fight in World.

I truly think it depends on what day you ask me, but I think I'll give it to World.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain N Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:42 pm

I'm probably gonna start up the Jak games once I'm done with New Vegas.
Captain N
Captain N

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:09 pm

As Ratchet goes on it feels a lot less like a platformer and more like a shooter. The first was definitely a platformer, but I'd call UYA a shooter. If it were made today, it would be condemned by many for "abandoning its roots" even though that change was 100% for the better.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:25 pm

Eh I don't know about that. Jak and Sly both got shit for going away from their platforming roots in the sequels (not me per se but gamers in general) back then. I think the fact is Ratchet was never that good of a platformer so people took the change better.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:34 pm

Well gamers today are a lot more whiny than they used to be.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:44 pm

Well I can't argue with that!
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:26 pm

I have not played Jumping Flash. Has it held up well controls-wise? I might give it a go. It's like a first person platformer right?
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:57 pm

With PS One games on Vita you can map the dpad to the analog stick. I think you might be able to do that on PS3 too maybe
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug
Sees Tetris Blocks EVERYWHERE

http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/stabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next